Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Try to restore your phone, then restore from backup, then let it resync everything. I had some issues too, and this fixed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Shattered my 6 screen. I've heard you can get it fixed at the Genius Bar. I have an appointment for tomorrow but if it's a < hour thing I could get it done today.

Any idea how long it takes?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

IUG posted:

Try to restore your phone, then restore from backup, then let it resync everything. I had some issues too, and this fixed it for me.
I've done this a few times already in the 2 weeks I've had the phone - I really need a more permanent fix. :smith:

edit: Outside of a restore, has anyone found a way to clear out the "Other" that contains a duplicate of the full music library?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Shattered my 6 screen. I've heard you can get it fixed at the Genius Bar. I have an appointment for tomorrow but if it's a < hour thing I could get it done today.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple fixes phones anymore, but just replaces them.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
So I ordered a 6+ yesterday (ships Nov 14th, wtf?) and I'm kind of nervous. Am I . . . am I going to hate this thing? I played with both of them in the store and Jesus it is huge! I'm hoping that Ill either get used to it or at worst swap it for the 6 but drat is this going to be a change.

Also I asked the Verizon rep what kind of feedback hes been getting on the plus and he said "well, youve probably heard how they bend really easily so you have to be pretty careful with them!"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is now the 7th or 8th time iTunes has felt the need to sync my whole library back onto my iPhone 6 since I got it. I don't fancy having to go through more repeats of wiping my entire phone, getting everything back on there, having it good for a few days before iTunes re-syncs all my music again leaving me with 30GB of "other" where my music library used to be.

Is there any 3rd party music management stuff for iPhones that works reliably?
Was the phone synced with any other computer? Do any other phones sync with that computer? Maybe reinstall iTunes?

Keystoned posted:

Also I asked the Verizon rep what kind of feedback hes been getting on the plus and he said "well, youve probably heard how they bend really easily so you have to be pretty careful with them!"
Android fanboy spotted. :colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

Was the phone synced with any other computer? Do any other phones sync with that computer? Maybe reinstall iTunes?
Nope, just this phone and just this PC. My iPad syncs too, but not the music. If it comes down to having to reinstall iTunes, how do I transfer the library, songs, apps+data, movies, etc to the fresh install?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Keystoned posted:

So I ordered a 6+ yesterday (ships Nov 14th, wtf?) and I'm kind of nervous. Am I . . . am I going to hate this thing? I played with both of them in the store and Jesus it is huge! I'm hoping that Ill either get used to it or at worst swap it for the 6 but drat is this going to be a change.

You're going to love it. For me, there was about a 24 hour period where I felt like the phone was pretty drat big but now it just feels normal and it's awesome. The screen and camera blow me away.

Using my girlfriends 5 makes me wonder how I ever used such a small phone before.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Takes 45 minutes to an hour all told. Had to get a 5S screen repaired recently.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Alternatively, would "reset all settings" and "reset home screen" have the same effect?

Yes, but if you have a minimal data plan, keep in mind you will immediately want to revisit your WiFi and cellular settings.

As soon as you reset, you will have no WiFi (until you reconfigure it) and everything will have unfettered access to LTE.

Edit: Also, because they're only stored locally for privacy reasons, you will lose your Frequent Locations on a reset. It catches people off-guard because they consider it data, but Apple considers it part of the location & privacy settings.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2014

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

supersteve posted:

You're going to love it. For me, there was about a 24 hour period where I felt like the phone was pretty drat big but now it just feels normal and it's awesome. The screen and camera blow me away.

Using my girlfriends 5 makes me wonder how I ever used such a small phone before.

Yeah, no regrets here. It's working pretty well as a replacement for my iPad that I occasionally make calls on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dummy question, I'm sorry:

This will be the first time I ever get Applecare Plus. Is it really just no questions asked replacements? (up to twice?)

I have a grabby 22 month old and I've already caught my 6+ in mid air once.

What restrictions, if any, are there that I should know about?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So what in Health can the M8 track by itself. Just steps and stairs?

e: clarity i guess

carry on then fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Feenix posted:

Dummy question, I'm sorry:

This will be the first time I ever get Applecare Plus. Is it really just no questions asked replacements? (up to twice?)

I have a grabby 22 month old and I've already caught my 6+ in mid air once.

What restrictions, if any, are there that I should know about?

Accidental damage swaps are $79 each, with no real restrictions.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

carry on then posted:

So what in Health can the M8 track by itself. Just steps and stairs? Any interesting apps based off that? When I was in college it was kind of interesting to take my 3DS with me and rack up those coins but unfortunately games never really used them.

It's also a shame that Apple would never do something like Streetpass because it's a brilliant concept.

What the poo poo is this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

A question about the functionality of the phone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
carry on then: thanks for the AppleCare info!

Breeze is a free app by runkeeper that tracks your steps with goals and such. My wife and I are having fun kind of "competing" (nothing official in the app).

Yesterday my goal was 8600 steps but I blasted it with 13,500.

The first Dev to make a simple but interesting competition mechanic interlaced in this. (maybe they add some rpg layers... I think they call this 'gamification'?) will be cool with me!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the topic of step tracking, do any apps have a notification center widget that will just tell me my step count for the day and my daily average and not take up loads of vertical space like those weather widgets being talked about in the iOS Apps thread? I find myself checking HealthKit a lot to see how many steps I've taken so far, so having that in the notification center would be awesome.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Have they fixed the keyboards yet? I would love to use swift key with some consistency

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Keystoned posted:

Just got my 6+ and it took me an hour to get used to the size. Ever since I've been wondering how I got by with my iPhone 5.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

noirstronaut posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple fixes phones anymore, but just replaces them.

This is actually less true than it has ever been. Apple offers more part replacements per device now than in the past. Also iPhone 6 displays cannot yet be replaced, other iPhone 6 parts will become available for replacement tomorrow. Apple is offering whole phone swaps for display price in the meantime.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

^^^^^^^^

1997 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 5, 2014

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Question Mark Mound posted:

On the topic of step tracking, do any apps have a notification center widget that will just tell me my step count for the day and my daily average and not take up loads of vertical space like those weather widgets being talked about in the iOS Apps thread? I find myself checking HealthKit a lot to see how many steps I've taken so far, so having that in the notification center would be awesome.

Pedometer++ looks like this.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

1997 posted:

This is actually less true than it has ever been. Apple offers more part replacements per device now than in the past. Also iPhone 6 displays cannot yet be replaced, other iPhone 6 parts will become available for replacement tomorrow. Apple is offering whole phone swaps for display price in the meantime.

^^^^^^^^

So I'll be able to swap my shattered screen iphone 6 for a brand new iphone 6 for ~$100 this week?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

serebralassazin posted:

Pedometer++ looks like this.

The red is kinda ugly but other than that, it's pretty much what I'm after - thanks!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

So I'll be able to swap my shattered screen iphone 6 for a brand new iphone 6 for ~$100 this week?

Or $109 this very minute.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zero One posted:

And yes, the Yeti is still broken.

Goddamnit. This is worse than all of the ios 8 bugs combined. They better fix that poo poo before I go in December. Walt Disney is rolling in his grave.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Apollo posted:

Have they fixed the keyboards yet? I would love to use swift key with some consistency

Nah. Still BS.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamnit. This is worse than all of the ios 8 bugs combined. They better fix that poo poo before I go in December. Walt Disney is rolling in his grave.

It won't be fixed anytime soon. I was just reading about it and apparently they'd have to literally dismantle the ride to fix it, which won't be done anytime soon as it would require closing a very popular ride.

Anyway, whoever was talking about iTunes: iTunes Match is $25/yr and it'll store all your music in the cloud and let you download a local copy of whatever you want anytime. Way cheaper than Google's music thing and works great. I love it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I have a stupid question about the iphone 4/5 and wifi. My fiance's phone refuses to connect to our home wifi when the router's password is enabled, and I can't for the life of my figure out what's wrong. It connects fine if I turn the security off, but I'd rather have it on. Has anyone run in to this? I don't know much about iphones. The security is WPA2 personal.

Everything else in our place connects to wifi fine, including a PC, an airbook, a wii, and a droid, but for some reason these two iphones will not connect when security is enabled.

Edit: I'm a loving idiot and it was because the password was case-sensitive for the iphone. Hours of changing router settings for nothing. Let this post stand as a monument to my stupidity

Deadite fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 5, 2014

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Deadite posted:

I have a stupid question about the iphone 4/5 and wifi. My fiance's phone refuses to connect to our home wifi when the router's password is enabled, and I can't for the life of my figure out what's wrong. It connects fine if I turn the security off, but I'd rather have it on. Has anyone run in to this? I don't know much about iphones. The security is WPA2 personal.

Everything else in our place connects to wifi fine, including a PC, an airbook, a wii, and a droid, but for some reason these two iphones will not connect when security is enabled.

Edit: I'm a loving idiot and it was because the password was case-sensitive for the iphone. Hours of changing router settings for nothing. Let this post stand as a monument to my stupidity

Glad you fixed your issue but aren't all wifi passwords case-sensitive?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Maybe? I don't remember the router password being case sensitive for any other device, or maybe one of the 20 other tweaks I made to the router was the real fix because I am sure I tried the password with the right cases initially. Anyway, it works so now I can wipe my mind of the whole ordeal with alcohol.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Deadite posted:

Maybe? I don't remember the router password being case sensitive for any other device, or maybe one of the 20 other tweaks I made to the router was the real fix because I am sure I tried the password with the right cases initially. Anyway, it works so now I can wipe my mind of the whole ordeal with alcohol.
Yes a quick google and a test on my own network confirms: WPA2 passwords are case sensitive.

Enjoy your beverage! (I'm having Bombay Sapphire martinis, I hope your choice is at least as delicious!)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

carry on then posted:

So what in Health can the M8 track by itself. Just steps and stairs?

e: clarity i guess

HealthKit can also log BLE heart rate sensor data without an app. In theory, it's in the docs but haven't heard anyone try it.

...and while checking that out, I found that the Health app has forgotten all my data and setting. Go Apple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not at all upset about it but I am kind of surprised at the extent of bugs in ios8.

The oddest one so far (unless my 6+ is developing a bad accelerometer) is I unlocked my phone to a functional but upside down springboard (icon home screen).

Apps were fine when opened. The homescreen stayed that way for an hour then righted itself. However then taking a video in landscape the ui thought it was portrait.

Naturally a reboot sorted it all out. Like I said, could be a bad accelerometer, but with how funky ios8 is, who knows?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone else have trouble using the alpha index on the right side of the Music app's artist list?

Only the A, W, X, Y, Z and # indexes work as you'd expect. If you tap anything from B to V, it scrolls up to A.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
I ordered a 128gb 6 that should be here this Thursday through the AT&T next program. I'm wondering if I would have any issues trading it in for a 6+ should I develop screen envy?

I played around with both regular and the plus and found the plus to be just too hilariously big and seemingly hard to use but I'm wondering if playing with it a few days would change my mind?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone else have trouble using the alpha index on the right side of the Music app's artist list?

Only the A, W, X, Y, Z and # indexes work as you'd expect. If you tap anything from B to V, it scrolls up to A.

I've had the same issue but not with those values. The jump list is not very useful. I'm on a 6. I use the jump list all the time since I have a large collection with iTunes Match. Hopefully 8.1 resolves it. Didn't have these issues with the betas.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
ITunes Match seems neat. Say someone's library contained some pirated music, how would that work/what would the risks be?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The tracks get matched and suddenly you're streaming the iTunes version. They don't trap people by using Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

ITunes Match seems neat. Say someone's library contained some pirated music, how would that work/what would the risks be?

None. If the music exists in whatever database Apple maintains then it is matched. If not then it is uploaded.