Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

quote:

Grr it's so humorless to think about what Goof Troop could be saying about society! drat you, English Literature majors
someone actually just posted this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Black Bones posted:

Oh you have no idea, buddy. My many jowls quiver under my beard.

:lol:

I tell ya what; I'll take another look at Guzzler's post. I admit, I skimmed over it, cuz it looked like a weak-rear end troll that wasn't really funny, but I am defending the concept of looking at and thinking about entertainment, even children's entertainment, so I suppose I should try to be fair.

I laughed when you had to assert this twice. Grr it's so humorless to think about what Goof Troop could be saying about society! drat you, English Literature majors :argh:

Any Disney product is packed to the brim with meaning, and it can be fun/interesting to puzzle out. sorry but that's just how I feel, th1nk.

Ok let's take a peek at this infamous warlock:

Good start, the simple language creates a sense that "of course it's so obvious!", made me laugh, for reals, even though I'm pretty sure the coming explanation of How It Is Bad is gonna be weak as poo poo

Cool dichotomy bro. No doubt it's accurate, although it would require some counter-examples to be certain. Perhaps they will be forthcoming.

More of the same.

Triticum Guzzler does not like the taste of these nerds

They're gross!

Ha ha ha, no kidding! poo poo's getting downright meta here - I'll give Guzzler the benefit of the doubt that he/she/porpoise possesses self-awareness.

Don't forget, they're gross!

Holy hell, finally an actual criticism. It was hidden under all those appeals to human bodies (they're gross!) and children (they're dumb!). Unfortunately, it's a pretty weak complaint: why is "basic analysis" bad? Should they go . . deeper? And I've never got the impression of CR as "obsessed with id politics", although that could be possible, and wouldn't ya know, we're gonna get an actual example! Singular, so "obsessed" is a bit of a stretch, but still, this section of the post is showing some sincere effort!

Even if one disagrees with the review's reasons, you'd have to be borderline illiterate to miss them. Remember, this is "basic analysis". Sir Kodiak's (who reads comic books! gross and dumb!) post already covered it, as did a cursory re-read of BigBudgetSequel's (who's fat and reviews kids movies! gross and dumb!) review, but we've already come this far so here it is again:

- the movie is bad because it focuses on the least interesting character (a good criticism imo)
- the villain is a mockery of drag queens, and that's bad because cross-dressers/queers are often portrayed negatively in children's media (this is kinda weak criticism*. but the reviewer does tell you why he thinks it's bad)

*It's weak cuz the review doesn't really dig into the villain and how his cross-dressing is portrayed. Sounds like his slavish devotion to social-climbing has warped his body and mind, literately hosed his gender. In a movie where the main character is raised by sub-humans. There could be something interesting here, the review doesn't really explore it, but it doesn't sound like the film does either. Anyways, if the cross-dressing is really portrayed as a bad thing, it needs to be compared to similar stuff, like Bugs Bunny.

Like, in the Jungle Book, when Baloo the bear dresses up as a girl-orangutan to seduce King louie. On the surface, it's just played for silly laughs. Yet the film is showing a hero disguise himself as a black transsexual to successfully subvert the power of a monarchy, while singing I wanna be like you-u-u and it's awesome as hell and where was I?

Right. In conclusion: Triticum Guzzler's post has one good point buried under countless appeals to the dumbness of children, a weird amount of emotion over the bodies of strangers, vague assertions that serious/real movie discussion happens elsewhere, etc. In essence, it is not good. It is bad.

Scrooge prob owns the transport system, so they ride for free!

are you okay homo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the things u people do with the english language are horrifying.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

that gone girl review reads like an angry tumblr blog.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

James Hardon posted:

I agree with Black Bones, the guy who, as a quick glance at the first page of his post history reveals, really likes talking about Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars and how proud he is of the Venture Brothers t-shirt he paid money to buy and likely wears in public a few times a week. Honestly if you don't have the reading comprehension necessary to understand CR maybe you should go back to Reddit.

That said, excellent work as always this week by the staff. The Gone Girl review (http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/gone-girl-annabelle/1/) was particularly illuminating. I constantly try to explain to people that David Fincher is a hack PUA MRA misogynist but no one believes me. The review said exactly what I've been thinking in the elegant manner we've all come to expect. I was invited to see the film this past Friday and let's just say I'm glad I stayed home and watched the entire Honey, I Shrunk the Kids series instead.

Does Rosamund Pike's character actually lie about getting raped by a wine bottle?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Black Bones posted:

I tell ya what; I'll take another look at Guzzler's post. I admit, I skimmed over it, cuz it looked like a weak-rear end troll that wasn't really funny, but I am defending the concept of looking at and thinking about entertainment, even children's entertainment, so I suppose I should try to be fair.

I laughed when you had to assert this twice. Grr it's so humorless to think about what Goof Troop could be saying about society! drat you, English Literature majors :argh:

Any Disney product is packed to the brim with meaning, and it can be fun/interesting to puzzle out. sorry but that's just how I feel, th1nk.

Good start, the simple language creates a sense that "of course it's so obvious!", made me laugh, for reals, even though I'm pretty sure the coming explanation of How It Is Bad is gonna be weak as poo poo

Cool dichotomy bro. No doubt it's accurate, although it would require some counter-examples to be certain. Perhaps they will be forthcoming.

More of the same.

They're gross!

Ha ha ha, no kidding! poo poo's getting downright meta here - I'll give Guzzler the benefit of the doubt that he/she/porpoise possesses self-awareness.

Holy hell, finally an actual criticism. It was hidden under all those appeals to human bodies (they're gross!) and children (they're dumb!). Unfortunately, it's a pretty weak complaint: why is "basic analysis" bad? Should they go . . deeper? And I've never got the impression of CR as "obsessed with id politics", although that could be possible, and wouldn't ya know, we're gonna get an actual example! Singular, so "obsessed" is a bit of a stretch, but still, this section of the post is showing some sincere effort!

Even if one disagrees with the review's reasons, you'd have to be borderline illiterate to miss them. Remember, this is "basic analysis". Sir Kodiak's (who reads comic books! gross and dumb!) post already covered it, as did a cursory re-read of BigBudgetSequel's (who's fat and reviews kids movies! gross and dumb!) review, but we've already come this far so here it is again:

- the movie is bad because it focuses on the least interesting character (a good criticism imo)
- the villain is a mockery of drag queens, and that's bad because cross-dressers/queers are often portrayed negatively in children's media (this is kinda weak criticism*. but the reviewer does tell you why he thinks it's bad)

*It's weak cuz the review doesn't really dig into the villain and how his cross-dressing is portrayed. Sounds like his slavish devotion to social-climbing has warped his body and mind, literately hosed his gender. In a movie where the main character is raised by sub-humans. There could be something interesting here, the review doesn't really explore it, but it doesn't sound like the film does either. Anyways, if the cross-dressing is really portrayed as a bad thing, it needs to be compared to similar stuff, like Bugs Bunny.

Like, in the Jungle Book, when Baloo the bear dresses up as a girl-orangutan to seduce King louie. On the surface, it's just played for silly laughs. Yet the film is showing a hero disguise himself as a black transsexual to successfully subvert the power of a monarchy, while singing I wanna be like you-u-u and it's awesome as hell and where was I?

Right. In conclusion: Triticum Guzzler's post has one good point buried under countless appeals to the dumbness of children, a weird amount of emotion over the bodies of strangers, vague assertions that serious/real movie discussion happens elsewhere, etc. In essence, it is not good. It is bad.

You seem to be an imbecile

client
Aug 19, 2010

COBRARocky posted:

its really cool that the same weird dudes who were undoubtedly brutally owned by women at every stage of their life are now outraged at a movie girl being mean

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Black Bones posted:

More of the same.

They're gross!

you are a fag dude

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

More of the same.

They're gross!

Lmao

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Black Bones posted:

More of the same.

They're gross!

People quote Duncan's long post to laugh with him and tell him he's good, but peopl quote your long post to call you a homo, a fag word, to call you dumb etc which is a form of review itself and quite beautiful

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
The gone girl reviewer this week seems very obsessed with Rape.

I am concerned about your mental health, Movie review guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Saying that a bear disguising as a female urang-utan is equal to a black transsexual sounds like the sort of thing i'd read from Stormfront.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Is it fascism yet posted:

"if a book and a head smash together and it sounds hollow, it's not always the books fault" - Martin Heidegger, Member of NSDAP

That's Lichtenberg

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

COBRARocky posted:

They are de-tumblrfying the forums

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

Triticum Guzzler made a legit good post. I can cop to that. But when all the rest of you guys can do is emptyquote Triticum Guzzler without actually adding anything to the conversation, all you're doing is making it really obvious that you don't spend any time on the subforums where people have to make actual arguments if they want to be taken seriously.

Like, if you think their movie comprehension is wrong, try explaining why. If you think their jokes aren't funny, try explaining why. poo poo, dude, I liked the g0m review too. But I didn't come to the thread to post that because what's the loving point of echoing the exact same thing a dozen other people already said.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

You are gay.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

African AIDS cum posted:

They are de-tumblrfying the forums

Are they?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Good point, Ralp :) you're right. Instead of just making the same criticisms everyone else is making over and over (like "you're bad writers" or "nobody wants to hear what you have to say") I'll use a new one, which is the fact that by not attributing the Gone Girl review to anybody, you have outed yourselves as a bunch of pathetic idiots who knew this type of criticism was going to happen, but stuck with the terrible non-review anyway because you really needed to make the point that this movie written by a woman is written by someone who hates women. Thanks for listening to feedback

client
Aug 19, 2010

Cool and good. posted:

Good point, Ralp :) you're right. Instead of just making the same criticisms everyone else is making over and over (like "you're bad writers" or "nobody wants to hear what you have to say") I'll use a new one, which is the fact that by not attributing the Gone Girl review to anybody, you have outed yourselves as a bunch of pathetic idiots who knew this type of criticism was going to happen, but stuck with the terrible non-review anyway because you really needed to make the point that this movie written by a woman is written by someone who hates women. Thanks for listening to feedback

Uhhh i'll have you know that this woman has internalized misogyny. As a White Man and the pacific-Northwest's foremost expert on disney's Goofy, I am quite good at spotting and analyzing such things.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

quote:

Go gently caress yourself ralp

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I was at Macy's thanksgiving parade and it was time for the balloons to pass by my street. I looked out my window and saw all those classic icons of cartoons, like spongebob, mickey mouse and he-man. Then came movie characters, and there was this loving massive balloon of the dragon from the neverending story (falcor?), and those creatures from Gremlins, among other things. After that came corporate mascots, you know stuff like Coca Cola's Santa Claus, Chester Cheetah and Tony Tiger.

But what caught my attention, was what the Camel cigarette company brought. It was an insanely gigantic Camel, seems they wanted to bring him back and make him relevant again. He stood taller than some buildings, and had a cigarette on his mouth that was thicker than a subway train.

That was the very first time I saw a bigger fag than ralp.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also applies to the jungle book transsexual guy

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I like watching people get upset over stupid trivial things so I'm alright with the current releases. Like I won't read them but sometimes I'll skim one and laugh a bit. I don't think that's the comedy you guys should be striving for but I guess that works too.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

you're a retard ralp

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

rip to those who died

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ArfJason posted:

I was at Macy's thanksgiving parade and it was time for the balloons to pass by my street. I looked out my window and saw all those classic icons of cartoons, like spongebob, mickey mouse and he-man. Then came movie characters, and there was this loving massive balloon of the dragon from the neverending story (falcor?), and those creatures from Gremlins, among other things. After that came corporate mascots, you know stuff like Coca Cola's Santa Claus, Chester Cheetah and Tony Tiger.

But what caught my attention, was what the Camel cigarette company brought. It was an insanely gigantic Camel, seems they wanted to bring him back and make him relevant again. He stood taller than some buildings, and had a cigarette on his mouth that was thicker than a subway train.

that is loving funny

daft
Oct 16, 2012

Crap posted:

rip to those who died

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
I would argue that children's movies are of lesser cultural value than movies made to engage adults, and that as a result reviews of children's movies by adults are of even less cultural value.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The critic... has become the critiqued

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Cool and good. posted:

Why was this person probated for posting the truth?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ignoring the whole "this is a comedy website and the writers should be funny" thing for a moment, wouldn't you agree they should at least be accurate in their snide hatred of everything that falls out of their narrow, idealistic world view?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cool and good. posted:

by not attributing the Gone Girl review to anybody

Gone Girl review posted:

Gone Girl
by "Amazing" Amy Dunne

Hmm.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Why are people getting probated and banned for offering their feedback on a movie review? And who exactly wrote this review that I did not read but has apparently been the source of such hatred? These are the questions on this poster's mind.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with the post or if you're just retarded, but I'm going to assume you're retarded and tell you that's the name of the character in the movie.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Why was this person probated for posting the truth?

Calling the writers "a bunch of pathetic idiots" is not what this forum is for. You can post that in FYAD.

This isn't the place to discuss bans and probations either; don't post about it again here.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ralp posted:

Calling the writers "a bunch of pathetic idiots" is not what this forum is for.

Sure, but what about the valid criticism that went ignored?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Valid criticism is not what this forum is for.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Bones posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637888#post430183295

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

ArfJason posted:

This has become one of my all-time favorite posts. You're a really good poster.

edit: had to delete part of this because it's recently become an illegal topic

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
After reading today's review of Gone Girl, I would like to adjust my position: the BoxTrolls review was excellent.

• Locked thread