Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care about the science, I just don't like how flagrantly wrong it is. No matter the setting, a creature being born out of the inside of an egg and then immediately laying another egg the same size is stupid.

It's not just that it's flagrantly wrong to me, it's that they used it as a plot point and then were horribly wrong about it. It's key to the episode that the moon is getting more massive. And it's key to the episode that the moon is an egg. You can go around breaking all the laws of time physics all you want until you start contradicting yourself with your plot points. And it gets worse when you try to use the physics that you're breaking as a plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I may have to bow out of this thread. I liked this episode, like this season, think Capaldi's Doctor is an interesting shift and bringing some real tough character conflict in. But here it's "not even the Moffatt apologists can defend this one".

If you liked it, that's fine. I'm referring more specifically to the people who tend to denounce everyone in the DW thread as nattering nabobs of negativism, when there's like maybe three people going "I thought that episode was a bit crap" amongst a bunch of "DOCTOR WHO RAWKS :rock:" posts after a given episode.

E: also by "Moffat apologists" I refer to (usually the same) people who will willingly, almost gleefully, overlook all of Moffat's flaws (aka the Sandifer Syndrome), usually by attacking those who point them out. I don't recall that you've done that, so you're probably not a "Moffat apologist"? v:shobon:v

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 5, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Science fiction has an speculative aspect to it, what if we had technology X and it was widespread and convenient? Or Lacked resource Y how would we as society adapt? Usually predisposing that Humanity doesn't ever change, we remain static but what makes us unique is our tools which are ever changing and ever more powerful.

Doctor Who and Star Wars don't go that route. Doctor Who and Star Wars tend to be akin to fantasy in that they are explorations of humanity reflected in fantastical creatures and societies; exploring themes of the format "This is clearly silly here, but we do something similar to ourselves, shouldn't we not be doing this?"

Tools vs Spirit. Concept vs Theme.

Asimov is a good example of a science fiction novelist who explores a concept, while Tolkien writes a work that explores a theme.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care about the science, I just don't like how flagrantly wrong it is. No matter the setting, a creature being born out of the inside of an egg and then immediately laying another egg the same size is stupid.

Three things:

1: There are examples of animals being born pregnant here on Earth. Aphids are born pregnant.

2: The size of the moon-egg being born is the most retarded thing for you to be sperging out about. People like you are literally the worst parts of sci-fi fandoms.

3: The whole sci-fi/fantasy plot of this episode is window dressing for the relationship aspects, which are the real point of the episode. Stop being a sperglord tard.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If you liked it, that's fine. I'm referring more specifically to the people who tend to denounce everyone in the DW thread as nattering nabobs of negativism, when there's like maybe three people going "I thought that episode was a bit crap" amongst a bunch of "DOCTOR WHO RAWKS :rock:" posts after a given episode.

Basically your referring to this loving dude;

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Seriously, save your breath. You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread. They've formed a little clique in here, and dissenting opinions are met with holier than thou responses. For the record, I'm not so much a Moffat defender these days. That really doesn't account for why I come in here and snipe a little insult every now and then. Honestly, there's so much loving fake altruism and hot air in this thread, it makes me not even wanna be a Doctor Who fan. I keep coming back here though, every couple of days, to see if anyone had anything loving interesting or useful to say about the episode, and all i ever see is morons whining about literally every little loving thing. Even some of you who started pretty cool a year or two ago, now have just as big a stick up your asses as everyone else. It's like you guys hobby is loving finding anything that could be remotely construed as immoral/racist, then acting like white loving knights toward anyone who says otherwise. gently caress it, I typed this out, I'm posting it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

That's the first I've heard of the idea that sci fi must be set in the future. There are lots of things I would consider sci fi that aren't in the future.

I can think of BSG and that's about it. There are other reasons it's not science fiction (traditionally science fiction is focused around the logical end use of a particular technology or philosophy whereas Star Wars is more akin to Dune which is space feudalism), but I thought "not being related to Earth specifically" would be a good enough shorthand.

Or yeah, what Raenir Salazar said.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

I can think of BSG and that's about it.

Really?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Basically your referring to this loving dude;

Yes, exactly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

I can think of BSG and that's about it. There are other reasons it's not science fiction (traditionally science fiction is focused around the logical end use of a particular technology or philosophy whereas Star Wars is more akin to Dune which is space feudalism), but I thought "not being related to Earth specifically" would be a good enough shorthand.

Or yeah, what Raenir Salazar said.

Jurassic Park. The X Files. Fringe. Continuum. Independence Day. War of the Worlds. Plan 9 From Outer Space. The Day the Earth Stood Still. I could go on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I mean there's present day/near future stuff (like this episode or War of the Worlds for its contemporary audience) but not much for stuff set in the past.

marktheando posted:

Jurassic Park. The X Files. Fringe. Continuum. Independence Day. War of the Worlds. Plan 9 From Outer Space. The Day the Earth Stood Still. I could go on.

So again, either alien invasions or going into basically fantasy (Fringe and Jurassic Park).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The reason the 'laying a new moon' doesn't work is that it's it's so contrary to idea of how laying an egg works that anyone who isn't a child has to sit and rationalise it to themselves, and it doing them completely takes them out of the fictional world. Even the people who willingly go along with it needed to stop and think to themselves 'I'll go along with it' rather than just being carried along. The thing about suspension of disbelief - the onus is on the work of fiction to do it for you.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Science fiction has an speculative aspect to it, what if we had technology X and it was widespread and convenient? Or Lacked resource Y how would we as society adapt? Usually predisposing that Humanity doesn't ever change, we remain static but what makes us unique is our tools which are ever changing and ever more powerful.

Doctor Who and Star Wars don't go that route. Doctor Who and Star Wars tend to be akin to fantasy in that they are explorations of humanity reflected in fantastical creatures and societies; exploring themes of the format "This is clearly silly here, but we do something similar to ourselves, shouldn't we not be doing this?"

Tools vs Spirit. Concept vs Theme.

Asimov is a good example of a science fiction novelist who explores a concept, while Tolkien writes a work that explores a theme.

This is a dumb and restrictive definition of science fiction that goes straight into No True Scotsman

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Terminator is set mostly in the present day and is 1000% science fiction.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Arguments about whether something is really sci-fi are terrible. Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, whatever other series you want to argue about : they're all sci-fi. They can also fall into other genres, and sometimes they might not take the science part too seriously, but they're all sci-fi.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

I mean there's present day/near future stuff (like this episode or War of the Worlds for its contemporary audience) but not much for stuff set in the past.

So again, either alien invasions or going into basically fantasy (Fringe and Jurassic Park).

Alien invasions don't count as sci fi? What the hell does then?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Noxville posted:

The reason the 'laying a new moon' doesn't work is that it's it's so contrary to idea of how laying an egg works

Stop right there. You hosed up. You shouldn't be thinking about that, because it's "Doctor Who," dummy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Terminator is set mostly in the present day and is 1000% science fiction.

See also: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., et cetera

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Turn your brain off.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I guess we've settled the Jules Verbe vs H G Wells 'father of science fiction' argument. Neither of them wrote any!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

Alien invasions don't count as sci fi? What the hell does then?

It's science fiction but it's very narrowly defined and often very bland. What would be interesting would be a First Contact movie, I guess Close Encounters would be an example of a non-traditional sort of film in that vein.

This is getting away from the central conceit though which is that science fiction is rarely if ever set in the past (Minus BSG and I guess Cowboys vs Aliens).

Cerv posted:

I guess we've settled the Jules Verbe vs H G Wells 'father of science fiction' argument. Neither of them wrote any!

HG Wells' signature book was all about going to the future though? :confused:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

PriorMarcus posted:

Which was bullshit. I'd kind of like for Doctor Who to at least be accurate about real world things rather than making poo poo up for a dumb joke. It is a kids show after all, and it at least used to try to be educational.

That's all that it takes to reinforce suspension of disbelief. You have a point about educating about real animals, but Moon-laying space butterflies have no such concerns to deal with.

a Small quip about baby/egg generating artificial gravity field. Or it getting nutrients from Sun/another dimension/meteors thus expanding its weight. etc etc..

Or have its mommy come to lay another egg and guide the baby away.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

This is getting away from the central conceit though which is that science fiction is rarely if ever set in the past (Minus BSG and I guess Cowboys vs Aliens).

Want me to name ten that are definitely scifi? Let's start with Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, which is set about 1300AD.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

I am absolutely not demanding realistic physics in this show about time travel, but there is a fuckload of difference between technobabble that sounds reasonable to someone who knows nothing about physics (which is reasonable for a show like this), and the moon egg thing. It just totally took me out of the episode.

I think it was going for something that was supposed to be ridiculously crazy and beyond our experience. To me it evoked an ancient mythological story that flaunts any sense of physics or logic, ie: Fenrir the wolf suddenly growing large enough to jump in the sky and swallow the sun. When you're dealing with a giant space-butterfly that hatches from the moon, you have to be prepared for more impossible things to happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Want me to name ten that are definitely scifi? Let's start with Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, which is set about 1300AD.

Sure.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

No. Stop it. This is the worst discussion, and you are one of the prime perpetrators.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Majorian posted:

No. Stop it. This is the worst discussion, and you are one of the prime perpetrators.

Okay.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

Turn your brain off.

No, point your brain at what MATTERS - themes, characters, morality - rather than at technobabble and the apparant eccentricities of fictional biology.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

Actually, I want to see the list too because I'm genuinely interested which 10 he will pick.

If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually, I want to see the list too because I'm genuinely interested which 10 he will pick.

If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation.

I already tried. I'd like to know what the detractors to this latest episode have to say about my point regarding mythology and epic tales' bending of rules.

Also, this derail about what does and doesn't count as according-to-Hoyle sci-fi has pretty clearly reached an impasse. Neither side is going to back down on their subjective definition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

No, point your brain at what MATTERS - themes, characters, morality - rather than at technobabble and the apparant eccentricities of fictional biology.

You mean like the theme in this episode where Europe gets to rule the world?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Random Stranger posted:

You mean like the theme in this episode where Europe gets to rule the world?

Sure! Critique it from THAT angle! Go hog wild! That's totally valid as a critique and could have been readily avoided at the directorial stage (which, as you may recall, is where I previously indicated most of my complaints lay).

Complaining about the science is just empty posturing and dumb sci-fi-fandom myopia :colbert:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

I already tried. I'd like to know what the detractors to this latest episode have to say about my point regarding mythology and epic tales' bending of rules.

Also, this derail about what does and doesn't count as according-to-Hoyle sci-fi has pretty clearly reached an impasse. Neither side is going to back down on their subjective definition.

Yes I do see the mythological angle, as others have posted it reminded me of the moon being a giant dragon egg thing from Game of Thrones. It just struck me as stupid. As a wise man once said, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Yes I do see the mythological angle, as others have posted it reminded me of the moon being a giant dragon egg thing from Game of Thrones. It just struck me as stupid. As a wise man once said, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

Okay, but why are you focusing on that anyway, instead of the deconstruction of the Doctor as a character, and his relationship with humanity? Which is the freaking point of the episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

No, point your brain at what MATTERS - themes, characters, morality - rather than at technobabble and the apparent eccentricities of fictional biology.
This. It bothered me too, and I thought it was stupid, but that's because I'm a pedant and can't shut off parts of my brain that are wholly unnecessary for enjoying good fiction.

The great parts of the episode had nothing at all to do with the science anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

Okay, but why are you focusing on that anyway, instead of the deconstruction of the Doctor as a character, and his relationship with humanity? Which is the freaking point of the episode.

Well I've not mentioned it because I didn't think it was very well done.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It's not just that it's flagrantly wrong to me, it's that they used it as a plot point and then were horribly wrong about it. It's key to the episode that the moon is getting more massive. And it's key to the episode that the moon is an egg. You can go around breaking all the laws of time physics all you want until you start contradicting yourself with your plot points. And it gets worse when you try to use the physics that you're breaking as a plot point.

So you're basing your opinion on how giant space dragon eggs would function based solely on how eggs work here on Earth?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

This. It bothered me too, and I thought it was stupid, but that's because I'm a pedant and can't shut off parts of my brain that are wholly unnecessary for enjoying good fiction.

The great parts of the episode had nothing at all to do with the science anyway.

Exactly! It reminds me of people saying that they didn't like Lord of the Rings because WHY DIDN'T THEY TAKE THE EAGLES TO MOUNT DOOM?!?!?! Obviously, that viewpoint ignores the point of the story, and so does every complaint about the loving Moon-egg.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well I've not mentioned it because I didn't think it was very well done.

Okay, why?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

1. That's what people were talking about, so I joined in the conversation about that.

2. While the confrontation between the Doctor and Clara was very well done, it was overshadowed by the ridiculousness of the moon egg thing.

Everyone is going to have their own limits for this sort of thing. Most of the time I'm rolling my eyes at people complaining about bad science in fiction, but this episode was just too much for me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Complaining about the science is just empty posturing and dumb sci-fi-fandom myopia :colbert:

No it isn't, it's just as valid a critique as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

Okay, why?

I don't really feel like I know this Doctor enough to find the character dynamic of him letting humanity decide to be at all interesting. I have no investment in that future humanity and its golden age that we get hints of every now and then. And the debate was so ridiculously one sided that it rang totally hollow. There's probably a billion children on Earth still to be born and Clara risk all their lives on one alien life form for no reason other than the show were watching being Doctor Who. It felt like preachy bullshit to me basically so I couldn't care less. Was there ever a chance of the egg/monster destroying Earth? No, because the show we are watching is Doctor Who.

• Locked thread