Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, a lot of people that use vapes are, in fact, insufferable shits about it. Smoking indoors is illegal in a lot of places so a lot of people are going "well gently caress your rules" :smug: and being complete twits.[/i]

You really do like to whine and assume a lot about people. Vapers probably don't even notice you because they're busy satisfying their nicotine addiction; not caring about the passive aggressive baby 3 rows back who can't wake up for an 8am class.

Engineering classes sucked in all ways and I'm glad I'm done and in my 8-5 work till' I die career. We always tried to say at least we'll have free time then but really I had more free time in school and was a heck of a lot more carefree. My biggest complaint was always the crappy one year adjuncts we received from China and Romania who knew the material very well but were literally first year PHDs and had no clue how pass the knowledge on to us. Our average grade in machine design was about a 40 for Dr. Chen's first and last semester with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
So the professor for one of my electives just posted this:

quote:

In addition, I would like to announce that I am seeking for a "Personal Assistant" for occassional work not related to academics. My PA has moved to another country leaving me with this quest. If you are interested you may approach me in class. The qualifications are quite simple. You must be male, have access to a vehicle, willing to do "stuff", a sensible mind and have an appropriate sense of humour to work with me.

:stare: How do you write that and not realize how perverted it sounds.

Also, that "cremb" crap is still going on. It's just stupid as gently caress.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Steampunk iPhone posted:

So the professor for one of my electives just posted this:

:stare: How do you write that and not realize how perverted it sounds.

Also, that "cremb" crap is still going on. It's just stupid as gently caress.

"must be able to resist urge to slap away my hand when it lands on your thigh"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ugh. One of my assignments I had this break was a portfolio of work we did throughout the semester for a class. It's the most haphazardly thrown-together course, the lecturer is so very scatterbrained. 3 copies of the same lecture up on blackboard in a row instead of week 1, 2, 3, that sort of thing. Well, I had been trying to get all my assignments done because I go out teaching on Tuesday. I get an email the start of this week saying that the portfolio assignment is now due 'whenever he has time to mark it', which will probably be after he finishes marking the other assignment I had for his class due this break. So now I have to deal with that while I'm out on practicum for the first time. I'm glad my school finishes an hour earlier (starts an hour early to compensate) so if I have to I can get over to uni at a reasonable time of the day, because of course the portfolio has to be physically handed in somewhere that he also hasn't been specified, because his pigeonhole sure as poo poo won't hold 40 folders.

Oh, also, it's a portfolio of group presentations. So there's that too.

Best organised course I've ever done.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So in art history classes discussion is a major component. A lot of it is more about being able to form an opinion on things while explaining why you hold that opinion. Art is full of subjectivity so beyond "X person made Y piece in Z year" there's a lot of openness. Which is why on day one when the syllabus goes out the professor points out that "participation" is a major component of the grade and that it's really difficult for an opinion on art to be wrong so long as you can justify it.

So come on, class. Say something. Anything. ANYTHING AT ALL. When the professor asks a question and wants somebody to throw an opinion out no matter what it is, good or bad, a gigantic wall of terrified silence is exactly the wrong response.

RavenKrows posted:

You really do like to whine and assume a lot about people. Vapers probably don't even notice you because they're busy satisfying their nicotine addiction; not caring about the passive aggressive baby 3 rows back who can't wake up for an 8am class.

There is a right time and a right place for vaping as well as a wrong time and a wrong place. Sitting in the front middle of the room deliberately exhaling vapor into the light of the projector every time the class meets for the entire class meeting is one of the wrong ones.

I used to smoke and know full well that even very heavy smokes can certainly manage to go a while 50 minute class without smoking. One most certainly doesn't need to be literally smoking the entire drat meeting.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So in art history classes discussion is a major component. A lot of it is more about being able to form an opinion on things while explaining why you hold that opinion. Art is full of subjectivity so beyond "X person made Y piece in Z year" there's a lot of openness. Which is why on day one when the syllabus goes out the professor points out that "participation" is a major component of the grade and that it's really difficult for an opinion on art to be wrong so long as you can justify it.

So come on, class. Say something. Anything. ANYTHING AT ALL. When the professor asks a question and wants somebody to throw an opinion out no matter what it is, good or bad, a gigantic wall of terrified silence is exactly the wrong response.
I have learned that students do not like to talk or give answers in class. Ever. It is a rare day I see it happen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

I have learned that students do not like to talk or give answers in class. Ever. It is a rare day I see it happen.

I do :saddowns:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

It's weird cause it's like the biggest paradox ever. Students don't want to be in class and want it to end early, but classes are often held up by these colossal silences as teachers wait for students to answer a question. Like, it doesn't matter if you're wrong, since if you already knew all the material, you wouldn't be taking the class in the first place.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

KiteAuraan posted:

I especially love the wall of silence in language classes.
Guys? The entire point of this class is learning how to say these things out loud. Seriously? Why are you even here if you refuse to speak the language you're supposedly trying to learn?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I gave an opinion in class once and I looked like an idiot so I'm never doing that again. I mean I know I'm an idiot but not everyone in class needs to know too.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

A White Guy posted:

I'll get this paper back to you next week*

*next week being the week before the final*

One of my profs last year put 90% of our course grade into two research projects. She didn't grade the first project(due during midterms) until the Friday before finals. Everyone turned in their finals without any idea of how the professor approached grading.

My current gripe is with instructors for online or hybrid classes. Pick reasonable due dates. Making assignments due on Saturday at ten in the morning is really loving obnoxious. I may wind up dropping a letter grade because I'm acing tests while turning in busywork an hour or two late.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've found that the quality of class discussions depends on the level of the class. A 100/intro class? Nope that poo poo is gonna be awful and awkward at best. But you get a 500 with seniors and graduate students and you can get some really good discussions going, partly because the students generally know their poo poo (at least compared to lower level courses) and also because they tend to know each other and the professor.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Alright so I started a Master in Teaching this year so I can go out and be a :krad: high school science teacher. No problem with that.
Text about older people in class

I taking a massive stab in the dark here but you wouldn't happen to attend the University of Western Sydney? There was a guy there last year that would do that pretty frequently and the biggest problem with teaching was every idea was sacred no matter how dumb your opinion was. I spent a fair bit of my Arts degree attempting to get him to shut up and last I heard he'd decided he didn't want to be a history teacher anymore but instead thought it was better to be a science teacher. I think his name was Anthony from memory

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
There is a 50+ woman in my theatre arts major exit course. She talks like she always has some kind of wisdom to bestow upon us young'uns but it's always just obvious bullshit, or an anecdote about her kids. Last week we did class critiques of everyone's portfolio, and hers was full of unevenly sized photos with no borders and a wall of text describing each piece in microscopic text. She talked over everyone, including the professor, who tried to offer any criticism.

Sophomore year I had an older woman in my Western Drama class who started all of her thoughts with "As a mom...".

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

KiteAuraan posted:

I try to answer the questions of Profs as best as I can because this silence loving kills me.

Somehow I've earned a rep as the smart guy everyone takes notes on.

They're so hosed. :devil:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Hipster Occultist posted:

I try to answer the questions of Profs as best as I can because this silence loving kills me.

Oh God, I'm in the same boat. It's amazing how unwilling third year undergrads still are to speak in seminars. We've all known each other for years now, people!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

They're terrified of giving a wrong answer and having it count against their grade or else somehow reveal that they know less than everyone else/otherwise be ridiculed for it. My math professor likes to make fun of people who get answers wrong. Not cruelly, mind you--but it's still enough that not a lot of people want to volunteer to ask things.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I taking a massive stab in the dark here but you wouldn't happen to attend the University of Western Sydney? There was a guy there last year that would do that pretty frequently and the biggest problem with teaching was every idea was sacred no matter how dumb your opinion was. I spent a fair bit of my Arts degree attempting to get him to shut up and last I heard he'd decided he didn't want to be a history teacher anymore but instead thought it was better to be a science teacher. I think his name was Anthony from memory

Nope, University of Newcastle and the fella's name is David from last memory. Sorry :shobon: But yeah. I mean, our lecturers do try to subtly shut him up but he doesn't get the hint. When our lecturer heard his 'put em up in front of the school and spank him' idea she shut that down about as quickly as she could get the words out of her mouth without flatout saying "no, that's not what you'd do, and it'd be fairly illegal besides".

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's always a chestnut of stupidity. Gem's from this guy was asking the Aboriginal lecturer during a lecture on Aboriginal education if genocide was one of the governments aims when they set up missions. He also asked the German lecturer what his family thought about Hitler and his legacy. He's got a bright future as a teacher ahead of him I can see it now

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I hate when I want to answer questions in class but I already have a lot so the teacher looks around desperately saying "anyone other than godsped?" and eventually chooses a random student.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Godsped posted:

I hate when I want to answer questions in class but I already have a lot so the teacher looks around desperately saying "anyone other than godsped?" and eventually chooses a random student.

My life since I was a kid.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I would have loved silence. Art students, especially art history ones, have the worst opinions once you get them talking. I spent half a class once arguing that painters from Rembrandt's time wasn't a hack because he used tools like a camera obscura. For anyone who's not an artist, it's like complaining your house isn't good enough because the builders used rulers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Godsped posted:

I completed a minor in geography, and am now taking a foundation general education class based on geography with a prof I've had and also volunteered for. I avoid speaking up in that class because I don't want to be that student. But then the prof asks me a lot because she knows I know the answer, so I'm not doing a very good job not being a know-it-all. I sure am popular when it comes to "now everyone get into groups" though :tipshat:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Picnic Princess posted:

I completed a minor in geography, and am now taking a foundation general education class based on geography with a prof I've had and also volunteered for. I avoid speaking up in that class because I don't want to be that student. But then the prof asks me a lot because she knows I know the answer, so I'm not doing a very good job not being a know-it-all. I sure am popular when it comes to "now everyone get into groups" though :tipshat:

Start giving wrong answers or fake seizures. I can't think of any other solutions.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chemosh6969 posted:

Start giving wrong answers or fake seizures. I can't think of any other solutions.

Yeah, this won't take too long. Two or three questions, tops.

"Alright, class, based on what we've read, which continent do you think has the lowest average temperature? Yes, Picnic?"

"BOSTON!"

"...not quite. Ummm, but you're sort of close, I guess."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hipster Occultist posted:

College.txt

I'm not smart. I'm a raging idiot who can't stop himself from answering questions in class.

especially since I'm taking the class again :eng99:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, this won't take too long. Two or three questions, tops.

"Alright, class, based on what we've read, which continent do you think has the lowest average temperature? Yes, Picnic?"

"BOSTON!"

"...not quite. Ummm, but you're sort of close, I guess."

She did give me a bit of a look when she asked me to say the lat/long coordinates for the school, and I skipped on saying degrees/minutes/seconds and just said the numbers, because it takes too long otherwise and that's boring. But then again, I kind of understand her annoyance since this is probably the first time some of these kids have even attempted to understand any coordinate system at all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A White Guy posted:

College.txt

I'm not smart. I'm a raging idiot who can't stop himself from answering questions in class.

especially since I'm taking the class again :eng99:

What's up repeat buddy? Seeing as this is my second attempt after dropping out of college the first time, I have now taken this macroeconomics class four times. The previous three times I at some point just decided to stop going to class.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've already graduated from college but I still have nightmares about how there was so little communication between faculty and departments at the school I went to. Grades weren't posted until a couple of weeks into our summer vacation and I had a dispute over one of my grades. The way my school handled freshman grades was that all classes are pass/fail as well as incomplete. If you got an incomplete, it meant that you haven't turned in all of your coursework and the professor would wait to give you an official grade once it was turned in. You had a very specific time limit to turn in the work, generally until the end of summer, but many professors set a shorter time period. Anyway, the dispute I had over one of my grades was that one of my professors had given me an incomplete even though I had all my coursework graded and accounted for.

At the time, you couldn't talk to the professor directly to dispute grades so you had to go through the head of the freshman services department and open a complaint. I called the department head's number and left multiple messages, sent numerous emails, and even mailed a letter. No response. After spending two months trying to contact him, talking to multiple people within the department, and the deadline fast approaching (and with me getting more frantic and anxious), I finally manage to get in contact with his assistant who had been on vacation in Spain. Through her, I finally learn that he has been and will be in China for the entire summer, no one knows how to contact him, and why no, he didn't leave any instructions for how to deal with issues like mine. Why do you ask? :j:

So the deadline passes and because I couldn't reach the department head, the incomplete turned into a fail and I had to repeat the course. When I went to the department head after the next semester had started and laid out my case, nothing happened. He said he was sorry but, gosh darn it, he never thought he would take a long vacation like that so he never bothered to come up with any plans to teach anyone what to do if he was gone and couldn't be reached. And because of that, his hands were tied in terms of policy, so I just have to suck it up and repeat the course.

gently caress that school.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Oct 6, 2014

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

First year as a graduate student here. Having all night classes sucks, I miss my 8 AM classes, having classes at night just hangs over my head like a cloud.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Side Effects posted:

You cut out the part where you did 25 years in the slammer for wringing his neck, right? Because that's what I would've done.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
God, my department is so loving disorganised. After two years of giving us a hard copy course reader, they've suddenly switched to uploading it all to the Virtual Learning Environment. That's great and all, except a) one of the big guns in the department goes loving nuts about how terrible it is to read things on a screen, b) we have to pay to print anything and, frankly, that's bullshit on top of £9,000 tuition fees, and c) we've been back two weeks and they've already managed to upload the wrong chapter of a book and simply not upload things that we have to read. One in particular was a chapter from a book that the library holds one copy of (we're a 90 strong cohort) and is out of print, making a second hand copy £50+.

At least the VLE is now semifunctional, compared to how buggy it was for the last two years.

Edit: AwfulApp does weird poo poo with pound signs.

Bad Roy has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Oct 6, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Side Effects posted:

This is the kind of thing that would cause me to immediately change schools. Which I did, following a series of issues that, while not as egregious as your example, pointed to the same kind of problem (not giving a poo poo about undergrads, their quality of education or how much money they waste getting a piece of paper and little else).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Side Effects posted:

I'm normally hesitant to say this, but that sounds like it might be grounds for legal action. If you can prove that you failed the class not because of the grades you received on assignments but because your professor screwed up and then the person in charge of handling professorial screw-ups dramatically mismanaged the situation, you ought to at least be able to recover the portion of your tuition that paid for the credit hours you had to spend re-taking the class.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Side Effects posted:

If a dean flat out told me that 'oh, I don't give a poo poo about loving you over because I was on vacation :smuggo:', I have zero doubt that I would jump over the desk, stick my thumbs in his eyeballs, and smash his into little itty bitty pieces. No way that's legal.

Warmachine posted:

What's up repeat buddy? Seeing as this is my second attempt after dropping out of college the first time, I have now taken this macroeconomics class four times. The previous three times I at some point just decided to stop going to class.

:eng99::hf::eng99:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Macroeconomics sucks dog balls anyway. I've never met anyone who has taken that course and said "yeah that was fun and informative, I'm so glad I took that class and got an A"

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

There's something about the chairs in my math class that completely fucks my back up in the 2 1/2 hours I'm there. I don't know if it's the angle or what, no other desk chairs do this.

Also it's in the low nineties outside but most of the buildings are so freezing that people have to bring sweaters. Apparently the climate is controlled in Atlanta, clear across the country. If you want to change it someone in operations has to call them and maybe a few hours later it'll change, when your class is over! :saddowns:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Macroeconomics sucks dog balls anyway. I've never met anyone who has taken that course and said "yeah that was fun and informative, I'm so glad I took that class and got an A"

I got a motherfucking 75% on the latest quiz, when I normally have a 90%+ average! :iamafag:
Macro sucks dick.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I have the smuggest American vet tech in my vet nursing class. Like, I've had experience working in practice, I'm a qualified ANA plus I've got an Animal Management diploma under my belt, but I'm damned if I'm going to rub that in everyone's faces the way she does with her experiences. At first I thought I was being paranoid but half the class has made impolite comments about her and the other half I don't interact with too much.

For clarification, she frequently snaps out answers to questions before anyone else has a chance to speak, which wouldn't be too bad except she goes on for loving ever while answering them. Yes, we all have some idea that ill animals will probably act a bit apeshit, please don't spend 15 minutes describing how apeshit they will be. And when she's not blurting inane bullshit out, she's either muttering the answers loudly under her breath or laughing loudly over the lecturers with her BFF who is also obnoxious.

She also uses American spelling for a lot of things, which granted, you guys are weird about the letter u, but she got ridiculously shirty when I wrote the English spelling under her answers on a terminology quiz. Bitch, I marked them down as right, I just gave you both spellings like the tutor told us to! "In practice, I don't think they'll care if I miss out a letter, do you?"

I'm enjoying the course though. I've definitely chosen the right career path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Every class I've had at this university for the last 3 semesters has required APA formatting for all papers, etc., which is cool because I've finally mastered it and can do it in my sleep.

Now this required history class wants us to use Chicago formatting. :suicide:

suuma has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread