Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what is it about chat services for poor people that differs from chat services for everyone else I mean besides iMessage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fleshweasel posted:

what is it about chat services for poor people that differs from chat services for everyone else I mean besides iMessage

yeah imessage is the chat service for poor people

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah imessage is the chat service for poor people

0.1/5

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattlynley/heres-the-team-behind-dropboxs-make-or-break-mobile-plans

this is the main way google is gonna get hosed once the EU busts open anroid tying. all these services are gonna be able to slot in when they pay or get paid to be on phones.

no google service would get traction without bundling because they aren't inherently good

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

no google service would get traction without bundling because they aren't inherently good

actually they are, op

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

gonna enjoy seeing google's traffic acquisition costs skyrocket once they gotta compete with bing to be default search engine on every sarnsung device

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

who the gently caress is gonna use bing

it's poo poo, google is the undisputed king of search

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cremnob posted:

yeah can you just bing that for me and send it to my outlook.com windows live hotmail account

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Forums Terrorist posted:

but you can get a free 10 dollar amazon gift card after searching 10000 things

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it will be funny when google has to offer Android N to carriers in europe with things unbundled as an option and there'll be like one phone that uses that option.

much like windows n for europe

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the only reason the google suite wouldn't be bundled with android is because poo poo manufacturers and carriers have an impulse to shoehorn their terrible garbage into their devices.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for a good example of how much consumers want an android phone without the google poo poo on it, look at the amazon phone

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
for a good example of how much consumers want an android phone with amazon poo poo on it, look at the amazon phone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

for a good example of how much consumers want an android phone without the google poo poo on it, look at the amazon phone

the only google things people must have are maps and the play store, with youtube close behind. Samsung would instantly drop the entire google suite of applications with the exception of those if they allowed to, and they would include their own marketplace app in addition.

without tying wallet is certainly gone; hangouts, google+, and google drive are probably never downloaded; and youtube and gmail would be downloaded a bunch but you just know every single phone manufacturer would include some knockoff instead by default.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

without tying wallet is certainly gone; hangouts, google+, and google drive are probably never downloaded; and youtube and gmail would be downloaded a bunch but you just know every single phone manufacturer would include some knockoff instead by default.

never used wallet, agree on hangouts and goop, google drive has the odd use, and lol as if anyone will ever unbundle yubtub and gmail within this decade

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

drat

i'm currently designing upgrades to the pacshores sewerage system

my bosses are gonna be p annoyed because this will prolly complicate billing and the scope/acceptance of this project

drat drat drat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unfortunately, com.google.bilgepump has stopped.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

google lol

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Forums Terrorist posted:

almost everyone once microsoft can pay samsung/htc/lg/motorola to make it the default on android

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Forums Terrorist posted:

bing actually gives me better results than google lately, google results have been abysmal for about a year or so for me?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Siri uses Bing by default

Mobile Safari automatically converts "wiki blah" into a direct search on Wikipedia for "blah" and does this automatically for all web sites once you've visited them at least once

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have Bing built into the Start screen/menu

the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have named their search function Bing, although it is completely different and hilariously terrible

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

using bing is one thing but what idiot uses windows?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

people with jobs, people who play video games, poor people, weird nerds

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the people with jobs are all using windows 7

the other people no one gives a gently caress about

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but we're not talking about windows 7

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you won't be able to buy windows 7 after october

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Siri uses Bing by default

Mobile Safari automatically converts "wiki blah" into a direct search on Wikipedia for "blah" and does this automatically for all web sites once you've visited them at least once

the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have named their search function Bing, although it is completely different and hilariously terrible

So you only use it because it's included by default, often in products made by the same company?
I'll let the EU know.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boxturret posted:

but you can get a free 10 dollar amazon gift card after searching 10000 things

the number of searches needed to get a relevant result :haw:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress google is garbage

but nice move, here i applaud it and hope others follow suit

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/03/google-to-make-security-guards-as-employees-rather-than-contractors/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
why would you want to cheap out on the people responsible for your physical security :psyduck:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Necc0 posted:

why would you want to cheap out on the people responsible for your physical security :psyduck:

not exactly an answer to your question, but here's an entire thread from iyg asking for help in getting the cheapest home security possible:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Necc0 posted:

because it's safe to assume the security guard won't actually put himself in harm's way to protect your plastic toys, so there's no point paying him like he's secret service

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the guys in the armoured cars carry guns to protect themselves, not their cargo. i can't see anyone with a single working brain cell deciding to risk death to protect someone else's money, which is insured, from being taken from their employer, who is also insured

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I interviewed at a place out there, it's like the windiest place on earth

also the "dock" is a marina for small boats and unless the google ferry is a WWII higgins boat anything remotely like a ferry won't be able to dock there, it's in the middle of a marsh with a tiny slough for access

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

also the "dock" is a marina for small boats and unless the google ferry is a WWII higgins boat anything remotely like a ferry won't be able to dock there, it's in the middle of a marsh with a tiny slough for access

there are hovercraft ferries for bad terrain like that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress google is garbage

but nice move, here i applaud it and hope others follow suit

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/03/google-to-make-security-guards-as-employees-rather-than-contractors/

:unsmith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

here are their sewer lift stations that i'm analyzing for future capacity requirements

don't park near them unless you like the smell of concentrated fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Necc0 posted:

no Silicon Valley company wants blue collar employees on their books. everything is outsourced, janitors, security, food prep, maintenance. whenever the blue collars get the idea that they want to unionize then either the contracting firm cracks down on it hard or the whole contracting firm gets entirely replaced.

commence union chat now

• Locked thread