Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It really just sounds like people are hoping for a return of Kill'em-All Tomino to me. All you really need is a mention of the Turn-A as a prototype somewhere in the latter half the series to know the ending's not going to be happy, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

There hasn't been a kill em all Tomino show in 20 years(V Gundam), dudes. He's made much, much happier stuff since then.

And heck, even during that phase he still had plenty of upbeat stuff. It's just easier to note the ones that do end with everyone dying!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really just sounds like people are hoping for a return of Kill'em-All Tomino to me. All you really need is a mention of the Turn-A as a prototype somewhere in the latter half the series to know the ending's not going to be happy, no matter what.

Frankly the very existence of the Turn A guarantees that there's no happy ending in any of the Gundam series, even ones that end on an incredibly optimistic note like X, Wing, and 00. At some point, maybe 10 years down the line, maybe 2000, someone finds the Turn A and Turn X and poo poo goes south.

Srice posted:

And heck, even during that phase he still had plenty of upbeat stuff. It's just easier to note the ones that do end with everyone dying!

It's just one of those things he'll never live down, the first half of his career was dominated by high body counts, so that's what people expect of him. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

TARDISman posted:

It's just one of those things he'll never live down, the first half of his career was dominated by high body counts, so that's what people expect of him. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

With the addition of endings where everyone dies being more memorable to endings where everything is resolved happily.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, every time I hear people talk about Kill'em All Tomino, it's always along with mentions of all the happy stuff he's done with low death counts. It's bizarre the nickname is still around.

Grumpy ol' Tomino next door is more memorable than Awesome Anime Grandpa I guess.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

Grumpy ol' Tomino next door is more memorable than Awesome Anime Grandpa I guess.

Why can't he be both? He is still grumpy in a certain sense, but shows it without killing all his characters now. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the two episodes and I can't wait for more. Please stay good, Reconguista!

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Haha, for all the poo poo we have given the show for making all the trainees dudes and all the girls cheerleaders, one of the cheerleaders is apparently voiced by a man:

There are lots of Japanese discussions claiming Tomino has specifically stated one of the cheerleaders (presumably, the same one) is supposed to be a boy in drag, but I can't read (most of) the article the quote is said to come from because I need an account that I do not want to sign up for... (You can sign up for a free account, if anyone else is feeling less lazy.)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

Haha, for all the poo poo we have given the show for making all the trainees dudes and all the girls cheerleaders, one of the cheerleaders is apparently voiced by a man:

There are lots of Japanese discussions claiming Tomino has specifically stated one of the cheerleaders (presumably, the same one) is supposed to be a boy in drag, but I can't read (most of) the article the quote is said to come from because I need an account that I do not want to sign up for... (You can sign up for a free account, if anyone else is feeling less lazy.)

quote:

そのことを富野さんに話したら「あのチアリーダーの中に1人、男の娘(おとこのこ)がいます」と衝撃発言。富野さん若い! これを若いと言わずして何としましょう。さすが「ターンAガンダム」で主人公ロランを女装させ、あまりの可愛さに我々を仰天させた方です。あれは1999年のこと。時代に先駆けていたんですねえ。

quote:

One of the cheerleaders is a boy.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well then. Maybe there's a Lady Oscar among the trainees. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I do not have much hope of that being handled particularly well. Hopefully it is just a case of "this character exists" and not "this character exists and is played for creepy comedy because haha gay/transphobia" like 90% of that archetype in anime.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just watched the first 2 eps(which aired on my birthday :circlefap: ) and I'm really happy with the show. That part in episode 2 where Bell just stone cold smokes a guy :drat: cemented me on the series.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I do not have much hope of that being handled particularly well. Hopefully it is just a case of "this character exists" and not "this character exists and is played for creepy comedy because haha gay/transphobia" like 90% of that archetype in anime.

Since it's simply cheerleader in the credits, I don't think it will come up.

My guess it's the cheerleader with a beret. Everyone else has a bow, she has a scarf. She can also be heard talking when they arrive at the Nut and one guy wants them to get off.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Lurking Haro posted:

My guess it's the cheerleader with a beret. Everyone else has a bow, she has a scarf. She can also be heard talking when they arrive at the Nut and one guy wants them to get off.

Guess I forgot to include the Tweet from Kenichi Yoshida that brought it to my attention which directly points out it was the one with the beret. :v:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

Guess I forgot to include the Tweet from Kenichi Yoshida that brought it to my attention which directly points out it was the one with the beret. :v:

Give me back my 4 minutes (3 of which where spent listening to the awesome OP and ED).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It probably is a lot less stressful to be a cheerleader than a heavy machine operator

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muike posted:

It probably is a lot less stressful to be a cheerleader than a heavy machine operator

Cheerleading is hard, but piloting Mobile Suits is fun. Probably relieves stress, actually. Who needs breaking plates when you can gently caress poo poo up in a giant robot?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
to be fair, a Recten is probably pretty close to piloting your cool toy robot. i love you Recten

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 5, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Did I miss an explanation as to how the G-Self goes from being abandoned by Monday in Earth's atmosphere to being piloted by the pirate girl, or is that a mystery at this point?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Did I miss an explanation as to how the G-Self goes from being abandoned by Monday in Earth's atmosphere to being piloted by the pirate girl, or is that a mystery at this point?

In the intro, the pirates took the G-Self while the Capital Guard caught Monday and the backpack.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
My favorite part of that is that in episode two Aida wonders why a backpack the Capital dudes have works on it, and Bellri just assumes it's because they were both built to the universal standard. Neither of them know it's the backpack that was originally on the unit. :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

OneDeadman posted:

to be fair, a Recten is probably pretty close to piloting your cool toy robot. i love you Recten

I love the /\/\/\ that pops on the Recten "face" when it goes in for an attack.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'll be disappointed if someone doesn't play simon says at least once using a Recten's head.

Also have Bandai said anything about doing a kit for the Recten?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Luminaflare posted:

Also have Bandai said anything about doing a kit for the Recten?

Nothing's announced but it seems like the sort of thing they might skip.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone from the future please tell me this leads in Turn A and everyone dies at the end. I'm suddenly hyped for Gundam and Anime in a way I haven't been in probably a decade. When Destiny killed my hype boner.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everyone dies eventually.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

cheesetriangles posted:

Someone from the future please tell me this leads in Turn A and everyone dies at the end.

At the very least this is technically correct. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StrifeHira posted:

At the very least this is technically correct. :v:

Do not fall for her sweet-talking! I have it on good word that she's a pirate. Of the space sort!

Two episodes in and I'm left wondering: Did Tomino deliberately went for a rookie when he chose this Mark Ishii kid to play Bellri? He kinda reminds me of a similar thing Daisuke Sakaguchi and Tomokazu Seki (I think both were like 20 too) had going for in Victory Gundam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Do not fall for her sweet-talking! I have it on good word that she's a pirate. Of the space sort!

Two episodes in and I'm left wondering: Did Tomino deliberately went for a rookie when he chose this Mark Ishii kid to play Bellri? He kinda reminds me of a similar thing Daisuke Sakaguchi and Tomokazu Seki (I think both were like 20 too) had going for in Victory Gundam.

Yeah, he felt all the popular voice actors out there sounded too alike.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I love the way Tomino does those little comic book panel cutaways to the inside of the cockpit that pop up whenever mobile suits are out and about and one of the pilots needs to say something. It's one of my favorite little Gundam things.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Does sunrise have a streaming service I can pay for to watch this? CR doesn't seem to even have a listing for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Razzled posted:

Does sunrise have a streaming service I can pay for to watch this? CR doesn't seem to even have a listing for it.

There is no legal way to watch this in the US right now for some completely unknown reason despite being available for legal streaming in the UK and Australia.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

There is no legal way to watch this in the US right now for some completely unknown reason despite being available for legal streaming in the UK and Australia.

Adults won't be able to understand G-Reco, and neither will Americans.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Wark Say posted:

...waaaaaait a second.

:raise:
...Nah. Just a coincidence.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Overlord K posted:

I enjoyed the first two episodes. :)

I also get the feeling this is going to be just like Turn A, where I'm going to be rooting for the not-main-love-interest girl due to liking her more so far. I still feel bad for Sochie all this time after the simulwatch when I think about the end of Turn A.

Oh god I had forgotten all about that :qq:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I had no idea how much I missed Tomino dialogue. :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I love the way Tomino does those little comic book panel cutaways to the inside of the cockpit that pop up whenever mobile suits are out and about and one of the pilots needs to say something. It's one of my favorite little Gundam things.

Honestly I think it works better too. I mean, you don't actually have to cut away to inside the cockpit and take up time, but just have the action keep going behind the pop up. That or if you want to be dramatic, the pop up suddenly consumes the screen.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I liked the little touch where the angle of the portrait changed when the mech moved.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I could tell from the very start that this was a Tomino series, it just feels so right. The panel cutaways, the music, the title cards with the protagonist saying the episode's name, everything just made me get some heavy Zeta/Turn A vibes. I can't wait to watch more. I absolutely loved Eureka Seven, so seeing the same designer strut his/her stuff in this with how colorful everything is was such a pleasant sight to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I hadn't seen the pink/salmon coloured G-Self loadout in the EP before, curious to see what it is, looks kind of cool.

Liked the episode, but I don't think I really know what's going on yet, could maybe have set things up better.

• Locked thread