Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
To step away from stupid gunchat for a minute

:henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

53% HSR over the course of 2500 kills loving lmao

That list makes SinistLordOfMattherson look like a rank newbie

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The scythe feels like it wants to be level no matter what you do, the mossie feels like it wants to go forward constantly and the reaver feels like it bounces all over. The reaver for example works best with hover, hands down the best frame for it. I've tried hover/racer for the scythe to no success--gonna try a stint with dogfighting to see if that clicks.

You idiots realize your arguing against the gun spergs about the terminus being better then TORQ right? even i dont do that. Either provide equal statistical data or make an argument and have the gun spergs bring up statistical data proving or disproving your point.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah I know on paper the Reaver is 'better' than the Scythe, but the scythe handles way smoother without needing hover frame. From what time I have spent flying the Scythe I like it a lot more. I have spent pretty much Zero time in a Mossie.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Epic High Five posted:

53% HSR over the course of 2500 kills loving lmao

That list makes SinistLordOfMattherson look like a rank newbie

They are called Always Cheating for a reason.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Tartan Tory posted:

They are called Always Cheating for a reason.
No dude it's totally reasonable that those guys are all 50-100% better than the best member of DA on the list as well as two guys from FCRW, and also than literally any NC or TR player using comparable weapons. It's definitely legit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nakar posted:

No dude it's totally reasonable that those guys are all 50-100% better than the best member of DA on the list as well as two guys from FCRW, and also than literally any NC or TR player using comparable weapons. It's definitely legit.

To put things into perspective for the non-stat nerds here.

Known, blatantly obvious aim botters (ZeroKewl, SwampyFox, etc) were around 50% HSR with automatic weapons.

So AC guys are all just as good as aimbots, if not better, from skill. Or something.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Arghy posted:

The scythe feels like it wants to be level no matter what you do, the mossie feels like it wants to go forward constantly and the reaver feels like it bounces all over. The reaver for example works best with hover, hands down the best frame for it. I've tried hover/racer for the scythe to no success--gonna try a stint with dogfighting to see if that clicks.

I found hover and racer to be amazing for scythe (hover/dogfight for mossie). Particularly hover as it seems to really emphasize the scythe's ability to stop and turn on a dime.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So this weekend I learned that Shield Sunderers are as rare as magical unicorns and that if you want to spend most of your time driving about in an ATV with Tank Mines blowing up inexplicable Ammo and Repair Sundies being used as their only spawn. Nobody ever seemed to learn and pull something else and they're close to 2000xp a pop so it's a nice way to grind certs, I got about three Sunderer kills a base on average and sometimes even saved the day. Not that anyone noticed and/or cared.

My favorite trick is to turbo over a ledge, fly above the Harasser in my gravity defying ATV and then jump down onto it with Safe Fall and bomb it while the ATV pinwheels off into the distance. Though jumping off as you turbo in so your ATV magic missile kills everyone clustered around it is also pretty fun.

The laughing pumpkin sticky is what makes it truly magical though as you sit on the death scree and hear it cackle before an explosion kills the Sundy and everyone clustered around your body wondering what you were up to.

In short. Why the hell don't people use Shield Sundies more? They're a fucker to get rid of.

Also is there any way to kill them solo? Can you do it with a full bandolier of tank mines or am I just going to have to bring a friend? I tried setting off two mines and then doing another two but the thing didn't die.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 6, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

To put things into perspective for the non-stat nerds here.

Known, blatantly obvious aim botters (ZeroKewl, SwampyFox, etc) were around 50% HSR with automatic weapons.

So AC guys are all just as good as aimbots, if not better, from skill. Or something.

I consulted GOON's resident Wizard of Maths and apparently a 53% HSR with the Terminus over the span of 2500 kills is 5 standard deviations out aka it's the equivalent of getting hit by lightning. An outfit of lightning strikes, striking with multiple weapons.

d1s is legit tho I would venture that much

Fans posted:

So this weekend I learned that Shield Sunderers are as rare as magical unicorns and that if you want to spend most of your time driving about in an ATV with Tank Mines blowing up inexplicable Ammo and Repair Sundies being used as their only spawn. Nobody ever seemed to learn and pull something else and they're close to 2000xp a pop so it's a nice way to grind certs, I got about three Sunderer kills a base on average and sometimes even saved the day. Not that anyone noticed and/or cared.

My favorite trick is to turbo over a ledge, fly above the Harasser in my gravity defying ATV and then jump down onto it with Safe Fall and bomb it while the ATV pinwheels off into the distance. Though jumping off as you turbo in so your ATV magic missile kills everyone clustered around it is also pretty fun.

The laughing pumpkin sticky is what makes it truly magical though as you sit on the death scree and hear it cackle before an explosion kills the Sundy and everyone clustered around your body wondering what you were up to.

In short. Why the hell don't people use Shield Sundies more? They're a fucker to get rid of.

Also is there any way to kill them solo? Can you do it with a full bandolier of tank mines or am I just going to have to bring a friend? I tried setting off two mines and then doing another two but the thing didn't die.

Take the shield down with a Fury Flash (possibly, not sure if it will) or an AV Harasser as you're shooting up to it, then bail and tank mine it.

Only way I've found

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fans posted:

Yup. All the non-shield Sunderers all use Blockade Armor too, thinking suicide tank mine deliveries are a thing of the past and the real danger is C4 fairies.

Too bad they're oh so wrong. :v: Seeing the blockade armor is the most hilarious thing to see on a Sunderer when you're doing engineer mine shenanigans.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also worth laughing that one of the FCRW guys on there has TWO characters in AC. Yeah.

RE ESF frames: Hover is best. Just use Hover, always. Dogfighting is never worth using, ever. There was a time where I thought it was good, but the increased Yaw hurts more than it helps, Yaw is really important to aiming and the stoc speed is perfect. So, unless you're pulling Racer just to get from A to B, Hover is the best frame. Some peak airspergs make really good use of Racer A2A but it takes a bit of style tweaks compared to Hover, and you have to cope with slower reverse maneuvers which will get you killed if someone good gets on your rear end. I'd say overall its more difficult to utilize well solo outside of stealth ganking.
I think Racer is a shitload of fun on a Reaver if you can fly Rush style, always pushing your enemy instead of sitting in a reverse/hover fight at range. All rotaries really benefit from that style, but its hard to pull off and really risky against someone who can aim, and who won't panic and gently caress up their movements when you get in close.

Also, you'll occasionally get clipped by the debris of the angry nerd you just wrecked, and they'll send smug tells.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I consulted GOON's resident Wizard of Maths and apparently a 53% HSR with the Terminus over the span of 2500 kills is 5 standard deviations out aka it's the equivalent of getting hit by lightning. An outfit of lightning strikes, striking with multiple weapons.

d1s is legit tho I would venture that much

Take the shield down with a Fury Flash (possibly, not sure if it will) or an AV Harasser as you're shooting up to it, then bail and tank mine it.

Only way I've found

What is the Standard Deviation for a 64% HSR with 1583 Flare kills?

[AC]66six:Flare; Headshots-1015; Kills-1583

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Excuse us for moving from "OP VS" and enjoying the loving amazing guns TR has that people are discounting. I'm almost sad now to go back to the HV-45 and VX6-7 after using the TR versions of lynx and torq-9

Terminus is the TORQ.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fans posted:

I've got max shield, but I only like to use it for clutch as gently caress action during primetime ops, as ammo and repair gives shittons of certs if there is any vehicles around.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

Some stats are easier to break the math on than others, of course.

I can't remember why I started this experiment, or how in the gently caress I'm closer to an Auraxium on this character than any of my others, but I will say that 5 of those 9 deaths are to teamkills. I'm so good DA doesn't even display me on AOD's ranking lists*.

* Because it's possible to be so far outside the standard deviations that dastats doesn't even count you, as is the case with my 100+ KDR from a character who never leaves spawn rooms.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Xae posted:

What is the Standard Deviation for a 64% HSR with 1583 Flare kills?

[AC]66six:Flare; Headshots-1015; Kills-1583

Here's any easy way to tell based on DA stat site:

-3 SD = T
-2 SD = F-
-1 SD = D--
~average = D- to B*
+1 SD = B**
+2 SD = A*
+3 SD = M++
+4 SD = S

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/grades.php

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Fans posted:

I've put down five anti-tank mines and the shield sunderer still survived. You'll need a friend, or an AP Vanguard/Prowler to have a chance at killing one solo.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've been into this for a week playing mostly NC Combat Medic. I've read that the Gauss Rifle is really good and I've popped a sight and foregrip on the thing but it still isn't clicking with me. I use 2-3 shot burts but it feels like the last two shots have too much spread to reliably hit at medium range. Given all the love for this weapon I'm sure I just need to learn the trick to it. I realized last night that I hadn't tried the single fire mode on the weapon yet, is that worth using?

By comparison the pistol seems to melt people to the point where I just run around with it instead of the Gauss Rifle whenever I'm at close range. The pistol seems to be much quicker at recovering from sprint or aiming down the sights which may be why it feels so much better to me. I was thinking about popping the laser sight on the thing but I'm not sure exactly what the laser sight does, does it actually reduce the spread of fire or is it simply for your own aiming aid?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Hajj Podge posted:

I've put down five anti-tank mines and the shield sunderer still survived. You'll need a friend, or an AP Vanguard/Prowler to have a chance at killing one solo.

That's because you put down five at once, probably. I believe the shield works the way all shields in this should work, but don't: it absorbs all overkill damage before turning off. You should be able break it with two or three mines and use the rest on the Sunderer itself. I usually just lay down an AV turret and use that to break it, if no one's watching.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah I know on paper the Reaver is 'better' than the Scythe, but the scythe handles way smoother without needing hover frame. From what time I have spent flying the Scythe I like it a lot more. I have spent pretty much Zero time in a Mossie.

It's not just paper. There is a reason most dedicated-air outfits play NC.

The only VS outfit I can think of (TGWW) not only play NC now but when they did play VS, were a liberator-focused outfit.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Fina posted:

I've been into this for a week playing mostly NC Combat Medic. I've read that the Gauss Rifle is really good and I've popped a sight and foregrip on the thing but it still isn't clicking with me. I use 2-3 shot burts but it feels like the last two shots have too much spread to reliably hit at medium range. Given all the love for this weapon I'm sure I just need to learn the trick to it. I realized last night that I hadn't tried the single fire mode on the weapon yet, is that worth using?

By comparison the pistol seems to melt people to the point where I just run around with it instead of the Gauss Rifle whenever I'm at close range. The pistol seems to be much quicker at recovering from sprint or aiming down the sights which may be why it feels so much better to me. I was thinking about popping the laser sight on the thing but I'm not sure exactly what the laser sight does, does it actually reduce the spread of fire or is it simply for your own aiming aid?

I'm glad I'm not alone with feeling this. I can't help you with the gauss rifle, but the laser is for tightening the hipfire cone. It won't help you if you are aiming down sights. Also, its pretty drat good on the magshot anyways. I run laser on mine and just hipfire spam and it works pretty drat well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Either SOE is admitting their ETA is a bunch of bullshit (which it is) or they are terrible at trying to convince me to subscribe. Downgrade now!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fina posted:

If you've only been playing for a week then it's probably just that you're not quite used to managing your recoil. They're isn't much of a simple trick that will make you an mlg-turbo sperg or even decent, just keep playing and you'll eventually get used to it. You're already better than most new players for doing shooting in bursts. Most spergs will usually recommend you turn your sensitivity down to help with aiming. Also, what sight are you using? For most weapons, there's no reason to use any sight more powerful than 2x.

I've never found single-shot or burst fire modes any more useful than full-auto on guns that get them and I've never heard anyone use or recommend using them.

Fina posted:

Yeah, pistols usually handle very well and put out some really nice damage, especially up close, and the NC default pistol is one of the best in the game. Like was said by another poster, the laser only helps out your hipfire COF, which is pretty useful for pistols. The flashlight is also a good choice for pistols for hunting down infils.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Leal posted:

Either SOE is admitting their ETA is a bunch of bullshit (which it is) or they are terrible at trying to convince me to subscribe. Downgrade now!
Leal, I don't know how you find all these things, but they're always so exquisite. :soe::downsbravo:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
For Vanu MAX weapons, what would you guys recommend? I have double blueshifts with exmags already. What about Anti-Vehicle? Anti-Air is presumably just bursters.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

For Vanu MAX weapons, what would you guys recommend? I have double blueshifts with exmags already. What about Anti-Vehicle? Anti-Air is presumably just bursters.

Comets loving own hard, like all 1st gen MAX AV weapons. They rip vehicles up pretty quick and it kills infantry in two direct volleys (2 shots from each arm), which isn't too hard at close range and kills really quick. They also do disgusting things to other MAXes. I like to use Comets as a generalist weapon if I think there's any good chance I'll come across vehicles and MAXes. Just make sure you're careful with your second volley, as the recoil from the first shot can be a little weird to compensate for at long range.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I would say Comets are not as good at smashing infantry as Falcons or Pounders (there's less margin for error than there was in the glory days of ZOE), but they're a lot better at actually killing vehicles you're not right up next to. They have nice velocity and while they kinda spread out a bit they have little/no drop. Strafe a lot, learn to lead (they're fast enough that it's not too hard), and you can gently caress up some tanks pretty nicely from generally too far out to get hit. Also the first one's free, you can't beat free, and there's really no upgrades to buy for them.

But yes, get Bursters ASAP and possibly Exmags for them too. Unless you're the sort who pulls Walkers on things at the drop of a hat (and honestly nowadays you probably could), dual Bursters are critical to get air to gently caress off.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fans posted:

The trick is to do two packets of damage, the shield caps the first packet at whatever the shield's HP is so you have to drop it and then get the kill before the shield starts recharging.

When I was testing on PTS you could drop 2 mines under a max shield bus, sticky or shoot them, drop 2 more *immediately* then shoot them for the kill. You just have to get the second set to go off before the shield starts going back up.

On live I just get an AP prowler instead of bothering with suicide shenanigans, sorry I can't give more up to date info. The shield capping damage is for sure though, we tested that extensively.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Something has happened to the Carnage this patch because it is a rattly piece of *poo poo* now that won't hit anything.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, there are no loving engineers on Emerald TR and it's loving amazing. Every time I deploy an ammo box for someone besides myself, and every other time I deploy one for only myself, it starts a never ending stream of resupply points for me. Also, no one seems to be using Mineguard so I've been popping sundies left and right. Even when running with the goons who are great about having Medics and Engis on the field providing support, I hardly ever loving see any of the support classes, or at least I hardly see them supporting (there tend to be a dozen ammo packs near or around spawn for example, but never on the front to aid the people pushing).

I think I've spent maybe two hours in a MAX and half an hour as a Heavy when there was some air overhead and the rest of my time as an Engineer during the last week. TR always have a good supply of Medics so not as many certs to be made from reviving but plenty of repairing and resupplying to be done.

Artificer posted:

Dual Comets are pretty easy to use if you have a bit of high ground to work with, better if you can duck back down behind the top of the hill during reloads. I'm currently running a Blueshift and Cosmos combo for anti-infantry work so I'm always shooting. I have one more kill with the Cosmos so find they performer pretty evenly even with the loss of accuracy in the stats.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I finally bought the Tross with certs. I never really clicked with the Reaper, but the Tross is working really nicely for me. Now I'm torn between the Gauss Rifle and the Tross in Server Smash.

SOE needs to put the new ARs on sale because I will buy all 3 with SC, and so should you.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

It's not just paper. There is a reason most dedicated-air outfits play NC.

The only VS outfit I can think of (TGWW) not only play NC now but when they did play VS, were a liberator-focused outfit.

Part of that reason is the Reaver, part of it is pilots faction-stacking NC, so they wouldn't have to fight the other good pilots. The only real non-NC air outfits left are 0PTR on VS and a part of COOP on TR. N still has a few players, but they're mostly with COOP now, and almost everyone left from TGWW is now QRY.
There are a few like SKY (OAK), which is small and fairly insignificant; GALM was supposed to be an airfit but its all randos, not actually skilled pilots; then on VS you have DARK and a few others who'll pull gankballs.
These days more of the medium-sized outfits are running air wings, VCO for example. Rykerr from VCO isn't an Ace, but he flew with QRY a bunch and adopted their ball tactics to a group of 6 or so mediocre VCO pilots. Catch one alone and they flail around like you caught them masturbating, but get too close to the ball and you're gonna get 6v1'd and airlocked.
I'm actually kind of a fan of the Server Smash meta making its way into Live during primetime. Having lots of air is a lot of fun, and its really fun playing with a properly coordinated group to kill air, pushing back their swarm and preventing them from suppressing ground forces. Its not heavily 1v1 skill like solo-piloting at lower pop times is, but its really satisfying.
0PTR is working on its group air right now, we spent Thursday and Friday night going against a constant stream 2x-3x our numbers near actual large group fights, and cleaning up and pushing the enemy swarm back. I believe the eventual goal is to fly (for TIW) for Community Clash, if another ever happens.
I'm actually curious to see if this trend will keep up. If the group flight meta continues, and the good air outfits get better at it, it'll keep the allure of the MLG airfits, while allowing a smaller skill requirement to get into the air game as a whole. Newer pilots can learn in coordinated groups during primetime and pass the training on to solo flying at lower pop times. I just have to hope it doesn't turn into air squads 24/7, with zero hope for anyone who wants to solo. Squads at primetime and during alerts and less organization other times could create a nice balanced air meta with less whining than we have to listen to now.
Teamwork is OP.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Annnd Malorn out too
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2if1nv/thank_you_ps2_community/

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Let me get this straight: Malorn buffs the CARV, then leaves right after. Beautiful.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

After buffing the CARV, Malorn wept for there were no more weapons in need of balancing.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Gobblecoque posted:

If you've only been playing for a week then it's probably just that you're not quite used to managing your recoil. They're isn't much of a simple trick that will make you an mlg-turbo sperg or even decent, just keep playing and you'll eventually get used to it. You're already better than most new players for doing shooting in bursts. Most spergs will usually recommend you turn your sensitivity down to help with aiming. Also, what sight are you using? For most weapons, there's no reason to use any sight more powerful than 2x.

I'm just using the cheapest 2x scope available but I tend to lose the red dot in the middle of battle, it just seems so dim. They added those new scopes but I haven't tried them to see if they're any better or not.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fina posted:

I'm just using the cheapest 2x scope available but I tend to lose the red dot in the middle of battle, it just seems so dim. They added those new scopes but I haven't tried them to see if they're any better or not.

Yellow and Green sights are much better

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fina posted:

The Yellow and Green ones are easier to see, have fun re-buying every 2x you own.

fake-edit: beaten :<

They're also planning to do something to their visibility, I think they're partially transparent right now which would make them appear dim and easy to lose on screen. If they go to 100% opacity it should help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So I've been running my game on super low settings, assuming my laptop didn't have the beef to run it at high, but I used these settings and now poo poo runs smooth as silk and looks great. Also, Higby posted a fix for the hitching problem.

• Locked thread