Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't say it should win, but I think it's among the best in the last handful of years, yes. Parks and Rec and 30 Rock would be my favorite comedies of the last several years. And I certainly laugh harder when watching Modern Family than when watching Louie (which, while good, very often doesn't feel like a comedy). Sunny, you have to admit, is not for everyone. I've not watched Veep.

Look, I'm just saying it deserves to be nominated. Unlike Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, the reason it wins is it's consistently good enough to be a non-controversial choice. It's incredibly formulaic but it does that formula well (it helps that the showrunners- two at least- were some of Frasier's best writers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's all contract negotiation stuff. Being credit X as Y is more prestigious.
Oh so then. Thanks for explanation!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amazon's interface definitely sucks. I assume that it really won't improve as long as its tied to Amazon Prime since there's no real reason to beef up one side of the package when most of your customers are really paying for the other side. I really only go to it when I'm looking for a show or movie that Netflix doesn't have.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I really wish that Amazon would at least make their original programming available in Canada.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Where does the new Star Wars Rebels cartoon show discussion go? Here or in the anime hellboard?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Where does the new Star Wars Rebels cartoon show discussion go? Here or in the anime hellboard?

Pretty sure there's a thread for it already.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Kinda disappointed Transparent is the Jeffrey Tambor cross-dressing series and not a procedural about an autistic FBI profiler with x-ray vision.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed Mulaney despite the fact that John Mulaney is a terrible terrible actor. He makes up for it though by being funny. And his show is basically just based on bits from his standup which is great. I will continue watching because as bad an actor as he is it's actually kind of endearing in a way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

kalstrams posted:

Why TV series intros show some actors in 'Goon McGoon' form but others in 'Goon O'Goon as Dr. Flavour Butt' form?

It's a prestige thing. The most notable actors are always listed at the end of the opening credits, usually with the "as [character name]" included.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing why people think Amazon Instant Video hasn't taken off.

Just from personal use, because the interface is crap and there's no clear indication as to what is included as free with Prime and what's not, which often varies between different seasons of the same TV show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 6, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That must be why I always remember "and Eriq La Salle" in the ER credits and no one else. I actually don't remember George Clooney at all.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

I enjoyed Mulaney despite the fact that John Mulaney is a terrible terrible actor. He makes up for it though by being funny. And his show is basically just based on bits from his standup which is great. I will continue watching because as bad an actor as he is it's actually kind of endearing in a way.

I've never really liked his standup. That's partially because he has a tendency to stress the joke way too much, but mostly because he's just so loving rigid on stage. It's like when you go see a play, and you can tell that the actors have rehearsed way too much, and are all more focused on hitting their marks and spitting out dialogue than actually performing. That's basically how I see his standup.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I thought Mulaney had a weak pilot (not surprising, based on the preview clips they've been showing for months), but he's one of my favorite stand-up comics, maybe my second-favorite after Louis C.K., so I'm rooting for him.

I liked that the pilot was probably 80% jokes from his two excellent stand-up albums (including Elliott Gould as the gay neighbor, first referenced in a bit as an wise old gay man he met in a restroom), but I could have done without the "problem bitch" roommate, the Newman/Kramer amalgam, and Martin Short playing himself dialed up to 11. drat, does Martin Short rub me the wrong way.

But I like Nasim Pedrad too, and I feel like she and Mulaney have earned enough good will with me to keep watching, at least for now. I mean, the man helped bring us Stefon. STEFON!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FilthyImp posted:

The PS3/360 app either lags indefinitely after playing one episode, hard crashes, or is unresponsive as hell.

I've never had that problem on my PS3. The worst has been an occasional loss in HD quality, and that's gotten much better lately, happening as often as it does on Netflix.

The interface really does suck compared to Netflix, though; Amazon really needs to hire on some better GUI designers if it wants to get ahead.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Just from personal use, because the interface is crap and there's no clear indication as to what is included as free with Prime and what's not, which often varies between different seasons of the same TV show.

Amazon's interface is laggy and dumb but there's definitely a 'Prime' indicator on the box art of anything that's free when browsing. Sometimes it does vary between seasons but that's usually either HBO stuff (eg. only seasons 1-3 of True Blood are on Prime) or because it's the Netflix thing where the current season (or the season that just finished airing) isn't available for free yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

That must be why I always remember "and Eriq La Salle" in the ER credits and no one else. I actually don't remember George Clooney at all.
Pretty sure if you can't get top billing the with/and-s are just as good if not better.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

It's a prestige thing. The most notable actors are always listed at the end of the opening credits, usually with the "as [character name]" included.

Well technically the first billed actor is the most notable, with "and" at the very end coming in second.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It could also be because of the dramatic door kick that he did when his name came up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I couldn't tell if he was just bad at acting or just really mugging it up for the camera.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing why people think Amazon Instant Video hasn't taken off.
Can you sign up for one month for less than $10 like Netflix?

No?

Then gently caress you amazon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you can get the streaming by itself for a monthly fee. You can in the UK anyway, but that might be because they took over a service called LoveFilm that already had that option.

Also yeah Transparent is great

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
I think Mulaney has made me like John Mulaney less. I don't think I'm going to be listening to his cd for a while because if I imagine those line deliveries I'm going to ruin the jokes for myself permanently. John Mulaney is going on the shelf until I forget that pilot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

I think you can get the streaming by itself for a monthly fee. You can in the UK anyway, but that might be because they took over a service called LoveFilm that already had that option.

Also yeah Transparent is great

Is LoveFilm done with now? It was only a little while ago they had the two platforms showing different content both being available.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LoveFilm still exists as a disc rental service, I think.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I guess just more in terms of independent productions in the same way that people buy Netflix now for Netflix exclusive show, y'know? Not that like literally nobody uses it or whatever but I mean obviously anything good on Netflix will have a much wider audience.
Reed Hastings is a god damned genius.

Except for the Qwikster thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

LoveFilm still exists as a disc rental service, I think.

That's very quaint.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

Reed Hastings is a god damned genius.

Except for the Qwikster thing.

The Qwikster thing leads me to believe that anything good about Netflix beyond the original DVD-by-mail concept came from somebody else.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Turns out all of that Twin Peaks revival buzz was much ado about something. TVLine has learned that Showtime has given the green light to a nine-episode revival of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s seminal ’90s drama series.
I’m told this would not be a reboot but a present-day continuation — in the same vein as TNT’s Dallas. Also, sources confirm that Lynch and Frost are poised to pen all nine episodes, with Lynch directing every installment.
Lynch and Frost confirmed the news early Monday on Twitter.

http://tvline.com/2014/10/06/twin-peaks-showtime-season-3-air-date-2016/

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Guess I better go watch Twin Peaks now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lomzus posted:

Turns out all of that Twin Peaks revival buzz was much ado about something. TVLine has learned that Showtime has given the green light to a nine-episode revival of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s seminal ’90s drama series.
I’m told this would not be a reboot but a present-day continuation — in the same vein as TNT’s Dallas. Also, sources confirm that Lynch and Frost are poised to pen all nine episodes, with Lynch directing every installment.

horry poo poo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh, now I have to finally finish season 2 of Twin Peaks. Thanks a lot!

e: Is there any sort of "I stopped watching Twin Peaks after the Bob reveal but now want to know what that black lodge stuff is all about" catchup guide?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lomzus posted:

This news tickles me in lots of special ways.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Ugh, now I have to finally finish season 2 of Twin Peaks. Thanks a lot!

e: Is there any sort of "I stopped watching Twin Peaks after the Bob reveal but now want to know what that black lodge stuff is all about" catchup guide?

Same here. By the nth woman bludgeoning I was out. You'd think the show would get tired of it eventually, but nope!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

drat good post, drat good

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I have never seen that show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its still worth getting into. It has some great characters and characterization. But that second season...whoo boy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I couldn't even get through the first season of Twin Peaks...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, I watched it for the first time a few months ago but stalled partway through the second season... I guess I should finish watching it sometime, now!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's Annie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shageletic posted:

Its still worth getting into. It has some great characters and characterization. But that second season...whoo boy.

The second season is balls to the wall crazy, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment of it one bit. I'm excited as hell for this -- FWWM was the weak link in the series by far, with all of the shooting schedule concessions that had to be made.

• Locked thread