Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Uh, apparently Sigma is going to release two 150-600mm lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1075466394/sigma-announces-two-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-zooms

The stats that leaked were for the heavier pro ("Sport") model. It'll be interesting to see the price and image quality difference.

I'm very curious to see how those are reviewed. Still waiting on my Tammy that I ordered in June, and although I didn't use it a ton on my recent trip, I'm not sure I love the Canon 400L that I ordered while waiting for the Tamron (mostly used it paired with a Kenko TC so not really a fair test).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
The kenko TC is terrible on my 400L 5.6. You can crop to 560mm and still get better shots than with the TC.

Glossy Ibis Pair by justincook5376, on Flickr

Also some video of a young Great Blue Heron practicing his hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp--N3AgN9w

I take it youtube still doesn't allow for 60fps video? Mine got downgraded it seems.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Turns out there's 3 Swainson's Hawks in the area where I saw the one last week.

Swainson's Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Sorry for a bit of a rehash of what I posted last time. I was hoping to find some Cedar Waxwings today but came up empty, so enjoy this making GBS threads hawk instead

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's probably a family of Swainson's, the parents and one fledged chick. There was a family like that on-campus at the university here last summer, with the chick basically indistinguishable from its parents by the time they headed south.

Watch for them hunting grasshoppers - unlike most big hawks, a Swainson's diet has a much higher fraction of large insects than you might think for something that size. They look like they're strutting around, because they go for grasshoppers on the ground with their feet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just have to share these...
My partner went shooting in Downsview Park in Toronto today and came back with these... apparently a 400mm prime can be too long for birds sometimes... who would have ever thought?

Red-tailed Hawk with Mouse by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

Mouse in the Mouth by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

Going… by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

Almost There! by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

….Gone by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

drat….That Tasted Good! by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The bald eagle and barred owl are from a local raptor rescue. It never fails to impress me just how huge an adult bald eagle is.

This sandhill crane is from a metro park.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

That's probably a family of Swainson's, the parents and one fledged chick. There was a family like that on-campus at the university here last summer, with the chick basically indistinguishable from its parents by the time they headed south.

Watch for them hunting grasshoppers - unlike most big hawks, a Swainson's diet has a much higher fraction of large insects than you might think for something that size. They look like they're strutting around, because they go for grasshoppers on the ground with their feet.

Yeah, that makes sense, the first one was about 2Km down the road from the other two who were maybe 20m apart

Linedance posted:

My partner went shooting in Downsview Park in Toronto today and came back with these... apparently a 400mm prime can be too long for birds sometimes... who would have ever thought?

Nice, the look in the last shot really makes the sequence

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Linedance posted:

These are incredible.

I'm slowly but surely getting closer to birds. I think. Kind of. Maybe.

Flying Gull by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That looks like a really mellow hawk (and an incredible whole series). I always get intense glares when I get close to red-tails.

Although that last one is just a brutal bird - it's about the size of a large Turkey Vulture, and I spotted it hunting a gull near the highway last week. I'm pretty sure it's the one that killed the White-tailed Kite father in Arcata Marsh last winter, too.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 19, 2014

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Is this cheating?

ape fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 19, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haven't had time to get outside much. Guineafowl at a farm, and a sparrow outside my window.

5B4A9116 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8464 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Mockingbird by justincook5376, on Flickr

This is just a Mockingird right? The wing tips weren't really pronounced like you normally see, and it made a sound unlike the typical mimics.

Juvenile Sharp Shinned Hawk by justincook5376, on Flickr

This guy was barely bigger than a Blue Jay. I think it's a juvenile sharp shinned.

Dull Cedar Waxwing by justincook5376, on Flickr

This little guy hasn't grown in his pretty Cedar colors yet.

Northern Harrier by justincook5376, on Flickr

Northern Harrier

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Was out at my dad's place today, went to let the dogs out into the backyard and I see a Kestrel on the fence, go grab my camera, but by the time I get back outside, it's gone. Heard it shrieking again a couple hours later, but couldn't find it when I went looking for it. Did find some Blue Jays, fledgling Robins, and a Northern Flicker kicking around the neighbourhood though,

Blue Jay by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Northern Flicker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's migratory season. I know that several of us are in the Northwest; is anyone else interested in meeting up for a morning of birding at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge (near Olympia, WA) on a nice weekend morning soon?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Untitled by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Fraction fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 26, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Well, I did the unthinkable and bought a superzoom camera. Canon had refurb SX40's on sale for $150. I do a lot of birding before/after work when I don't want to leave my 100-400mm + DSLR in my car all day. I run into a fair number of rarities and photos help for eBird confirmation. I'm hoping it also comes in handy on things like hikes where I don't want to drag along a full DSLR. I've been contemplating upgrading to the Sigma 150-600mm, but the extra size would mean I wouldn't want to carry it with me on a lot of my travels.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice, you caught a fish! You got something on your face, though...

It's right at the base of your beak. Do you want a napkin?

There, I think you got it.

No, that just made it worse.

It's okay. I don't think anyone noticed.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, I did the unthinkable and bought a superzoom camera. Canon had refurb SX40's on sale for $150. I do a lot of birding before/after work when I don't want to leave my 100-400mm + DSLR in my car all day. I run into a fair number of rarities and photos help for eBird confirmation. I'm hoping it also comes in handy on things like hikes where I don't want to drag along a full DSLR. I've been contemplating upgrading to the Sigma 150-600mm, but the extra size would mean I wouldn't want to carry it with me on a lot of my travels.

I'm still holding on to my Panasonic FZ-50.

e: First shots with my Tamron 150-600- just a few snaps in my backyard this morning. So far I like it. Definitely heavy, but definitely possible to hand hold and the IS is pretty nice. Focus is fast (haven't tried BIF yet).

Even though it's heavier than the 400/5.6, in my fairly limited experience with both I seem to be doing better with the Tamron. The extra zoom helps with birds in complex environments- the 400L seems to hunt a little more since the bird is smaller in the frame.

I think all of the following were f/9 at 800 iso. No pp besides cropping, except for the Golden-crowned Sparrow which is sharpened. The nuthatch is ~ 50% crop I think, and the others are close to but not quite 100% crop.

RB Nuthatch1 1830 on Flickr

Juvie Cedar Waxwing 1833 on Flickr

W Scrub Jay FS 1834 on Flickr

GC Sparrow-Sharpened-FS 1835 on Flickr

I'm having a hard time justifying keeping the 400 now...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 27, 2014

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Not everyday that you can shoot birds with a 50mm lens. These wild birds had no fear of eating seed right out of our hands. I suspect people must do this a lot at this particular sanctuary because all of the seed eating birds would approach us at very close range and chirp. We tried to offer them seed and sure enough they had no fear. The Chickadees were the most brave though, the titmice and nuthatches a little less so.

Chickadee Hand by justincook5376, on Flickr

Nuthatch Hand by justincook5376, on Flickr

Chickadee Hand by justincook5376, on Flickr

Titmouse Hand by justincook5376, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Some chickadees are fearless. I've had them land on my head without having any seed, just by stopping in the right place along a well-used path where I'm sure lots of people hand feed them. Last week one from our balcony birdfeeder decided to check out the open door and landed on the lower doorframe, about 20cm in front of our cat. Fortunately for all concerned, our cat is utterly chickenshit and while she *tries* to stalk the birds at the feeder she has no chance. That particular chickadee is also probably the one that landed on the feeder while it was still in my GF's hands, putting it back up after the deck was painted.

The chickadees are pretty well-behaved, but the sparrows and especially the nuthatches love to spray seeds everywhere while digging for whatever variety they most prefer.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I am trying really hard not to preorder the new Sigma 150 - 600 sport version. I don't know why I want to be an early adopter I just for some reason have confidence that the Sigma glass quality will be worth the price compared to the Tamron which is still back ordered . Also it would be really really nice to have an is lens as I do most of my bird shots hand-held.. I told myself I was done spending money on gear for at least another year. Talk me out of it thread.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheMirage posted:

I am trying really hard not to preorder the new Sigma 150 - 600 sport version. I don't know why I want to be an early adopter I just for some reason have confidence that the Sigma glass quality will be worth the price compared to the Tamron which is still back ordered . Also it would be really really nice to have an is lens as I do most of my bird shots hand-held.. I told myself I was done spending money on gear for at least another year. Talk me out of it thread.

I'm going to order the Contemporary version once it's fully announced. I'm sure the Sport version will be fantastic but I am also not ready to drop $2k on a lens. Half that? Sure.

From what a Sigma dude said the Sport will have better performance at the corners and is more durable, but also heavier. This will make a bigger difference on a full-frame camera I think. I think they expect the Sport model to be used primarily on a tripod, they said the Contemporary will be better for hand-held.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fraction posted:

I'm slowly but surely getting closer to birds. I think. Kind of. Maybe.

Do you guys wear... camo?

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Kenshin posted:

I'm going to order the Contemporary version once it's fully announced. I'm sure the Sport version will be fantastic but I am also not ready to drop $2k on a lens. Half that? Sure.

From what a Sigma dude said the Sport will have better performance at the corners and is more durable, but also heavier. This will make a bigger difference on a full-frame camera I think. I think they expect the Sport model to be used primarily on a tripod, they said the Contemporary will be better for hand-held.

It still only weighs 6.2 pounds as opposed to say a Canon 600 F/4 which is 8.6 pounds.

Here is the first interesting Fall migrator i've seen so far:

Wilsons Warbler by justincook5376, on Flickr

And something I have no idea what it is. I thought some kind of flycatcher but I couldn't quite match anything up with it. Maybe something young, or something in it's winter plumage?

Unknown, Massachusetts, Sept by justincook5376, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheMirage posted:

And something I have no idea what it is. I thought some kind of flycatcher but I couldn't quite match anything up with it. Maybe something young, or something in it's winter plumage?

Unknown, Massachusetts, Sept by justincook5376, on Flickr

I'd guess a really drab Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle warbler).

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nice shots. American Pipit, maybe?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd guess a really drab Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle warbler).

That was my guess as well. They flycatch like crazy this time of year. They are probably the most common passerine in much of the country in the fall.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I agree, and I saw a collection of Yellow Rumps at another Sanctuary this past weekend that were a little less drab, but they still had some faded yellow. This guy was more orange so I had doubts. Thanks for the assist guys.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Finally was able to photograph this Leucistic Black-billed Magpie that's been hanging around my building all summer. lovely background I know, but back alleys and dumpsters are the urban magpies habitat. It has some really faint blue feathers on it's back and no iridescent feathers

Leucistic Black-billed Magpie by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I had a Belted Kingfisher hover almost directly over me yesterday evening. It was kind of amazing to see one that close up.

queenfisher-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Mallard quacking at an approaching Greater Yellowlegs

duck-yellowlegs by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Red-shouldered Hawk trying to look like a Harpy Eagle

rsh-poof by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Egret pals

egret-buddies by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moon Potato posted:

I had a Belted Kingfisher hover almost directly over me yesterday evening. It was kind of amazing to see one that close up.

queenfisher-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

drat, that's close! Great light, too.

IMG_9069 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
First, a thread-title appropriate Swainson's hawk:
June 22 2014 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Then, a dump of a bunch of birds from a couple of weeks ago.
Northern Shoveler
SD 139 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snow Geese
SD 139 5 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pied-billed Grebe
SD 139 37 by Execudork, on Flickr
Canada Warbler (I think)
SD 139 42 by Execudork, on Flickr
American Tree Sparrow (I think)
SD 139 55 by Execudork, on Flickr
I don't know what this one is. It kind of looks like a Towhee, but I don't see any colour on it at all. Maybe a Dark-eyed Junco?
SD 139 56 by Execudork, on Flickr
Savannah Sparrow
SD 139 63 by Execudork, on Flickr
Possibly, though I am far from certain, a Cinnamon Teal
SD 139 72 by Execudork, on Flickr
The only thing I can find close to this one is a fall-variant male Brewer's Blackbird, but the illustrations I can find don't show a black beak.
SD 139 76 by Execudork, on Flickr
I'm calling this a White-throated Sparrow, because I'm tired of my own uncertainty
SD 139 79 by Execudork, on Flickr
Red-necked Grebes in winter plumage
SD 139 83 by Execudork, on Flickr
And a very drab but for the setting sun female duck of some species I'm not going to try to work out.
SD 139 89 by Execudork, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Couple photos I took a bit back that I don't think I've put up here.

Great Blue Heron by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Great Egret by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Cormorant by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I love this shot, especially the eyes.

For that top one, the great blue heron, could you drop the exposure a bit? Seems way overly bright to my eyes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Well, after embarassingly missing that Black Tern a page or two back I'm hesitant to try to ID stuff again, but here's my shot.

ExecuDork posted:

Canada Warbler (I think)
SD 139 42 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bill looks more like a finch to me? Roughly matches a non-breeding American Goldfinch? I have no experience with Canada Warbler this time of year, but Sibley's shows them having an even gray back rather than the light patch near the back of the neck that this bird does.

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know what this one is. It kind of looks like a Towhee, but I don't see any colour on it at all. Maybe a Dark-eyed Junco?
SD 139 56 by Execudork, on Flickr

Not a lot to go on here. Underside of the tale looks like a match for Dark-Eyed Junco, but that doesn't throw out all other possibilities.

ExecuDork posted:

Possibly, though I am far from certain, a Cinnamon Teal
SD 139 72 by Execudork, on Flickr

Looks like a non-breeding male Cinnamon Teal. Note the red eye.

ExecuDork posted:

The only thing I can find close to this one is a fall-variant male Brewer's Blackbird, but the illustrations I can find don't show a black beak.
SD 139 76 by Execudork, on Flickr

Looks good to me.

ExecuDork posted:

I'm calling this a White-throated Sparrow, because I'm tired of my own uncertainty
SD 139 79 by Execudork, on Flickr

White-Throated should have a gray beak, rather than the bright one this bird has. I'd lean toward White-Crowned Sparrow.

ExecuDork posted:

Red-necked Grebes in winter plumage
SD 139 83 by Execudork, on Flickr

Hard to tell from this angle, but my impression is Horned/Eared Grebe. Red-Throated has a pretty large bill.

ExecuDork posted:

And a very drab but for the setting sun female duck of some species I'm not going to try to work out.
SD 139 89 by Execudork, on Flickr

I'd lean female Blue-Winged Teal on this one. Eyeline, bill-shape and light under the throat are my reasons, but female ducks can be hard.

No photo, unfortunately, but I spotted a Leach's Storm Petrel in Puget Sound, just north of Seattle the other day. Likely the rarest bird I've ever found. Storm-Petrels are loving awesome birds and I wish they didn't spend most of their time out in the middle of the ocean where they're hard to see.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I seem to be on a trend of finding birds that give no shits about humans. This Redtail Hawk was flying around us all day and let us walk right up to it. I've never been this close to a wild raptor. I was so close I didn't have any pixels to work with for a decent crop on the flight shots, and I'm not good enough to focus and recomp that fast.

Redtail Stare by justincook5376, on Flickr

Redtail Perch by justincook5376, on Flickr

Redtail Flight by justincook5376, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

holy gently caress

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

This is shaping up to be a fantastic wildlife lens. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TheMirage posted:

I seem to be on a trend of finding birds that give no shits about humans.

Juvies often aren't smart enough to bolt from humans as quickly and there are a lot more juvies at the end of summer. That's how I got this headshot:

Red Tail Hawk Portrait by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, after embarassingly missing that Black Tern a page or two back I'm hesitant to try to ID stuff again, but here's my shot.

*Identifications*

No photo, unfortunately, but I spotted a Leach's Storm Petrel in Puget Sound, just north of Seattle the other day. Likely the rarest bird I've ever found. Storm-Petrels are loving awesome birds and I wish they didn't spend most of their time out in the middle of the ocean where they're hard to see.
Thanks! Your suggestions were mostly things I also considered, based on what I can see in my 3rd-Edition National Geographic Guide. Experience trumps a book, and I think between the two of us we can cancel out some of our weak areas. My weak areas are much larger than yours, I think - and I would not have been able to ID your juvenile Black Tern. I've seen a fair number of Black Terns this summer, but a) that's a first for me and b) no way I'm getting a juvie right.

EDIT: The next time I'm on a sea coast and have a bit of spare time, like a day, and enough spare money, a few hundred bucks, I *really* need to get out on a bird-watching cruise. Sea birds in general are pretty great, especially coming from the flat, empty, landlocked, flat, wintery middle of the continent.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 6, 2014