Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm guessing that a large amount of alcohol was involved which probably limits his culpability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

karl fungus posted:

There is some minor value to herbs. Emphasis on some. Nearly all of the herbal supplements that people take won't do poo poo, and of those that do, they will have a very weak effect or even hurt you. However, there are a lot of useful medicines that have been derived from plants by scientists over the years. For example, aspirin came from willows, digitalin came from foxgloves, and paclitaxel came from yews. However, nothing is going to happen if you try to bite a willow or a yew, except maybe ruining your teeth on the bark, and you will die a horrible heart-related death if you try to consume a foxglove.

There aren't some "weird natural cures that THEY don't want you to know about" being suppressed by Big Pharma. Please do not try to treat yourself with salad.

Yew is super toxic. It'll kill a horse if they get to chewing on the leaves.

Clearly we all just need to expel the malicious spirits from our bodies with a good bloodletting! Then everything will be fixed! It's "original" medicine after all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I always thought that was what's so silly about that whole "alternative is better" conceit; when we discover an "alternative" medicine that works really well, we refine it, adopt it for mass production, and it becomes a part of regular medicine. :v:

Edit: Manslaughter? Are you loving kidding me England?

EditEdit: I suppose I could see it if they went with the "The defendant is a huge loving idiot manchild who doesn't understand his own strength, please be lenient" defense.

Manslaughter is the charge when it is accidental, as it implies a kill that you are at fault for through negligence. Dude punched the other guy, resulting in the other guy falling and hitting his head. It wasn't the punch that killed him, it was his head hitting the ground too hard.

The killer is clearly at fault, and deserves punishment, but it was not murder, since he had no intention of killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter

This likely factors in as well:

quote:

In some jurisdictions, such as the UK, Canada, and some Australian states, "adequate provocation" is a partial defence to a charge of murder, which, if accepted by the jury, would convert what would otherwise have been murder into manslaughter.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh, I misread it. I thought it said he banged the guy's head on the pavement. Which would have been a bit beyond manslaughter.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
From what I read, it looked like the whole 'man killed for poking woman on facebook' is a bit clickbait-ey too, they were arguing before that was brought up, it just intensified the argument into a fight. Jealous lover turns killer, sure, but blaming social media for it (or implying it) seems a bit like blaming the phone if he'd gone ballistic over her having some other man's number in her contacts.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SybilVimes posted:

From what I read, it looked like the whole 'man killed for poking woman on facebook' is a bit clickbait-ey too, they were arguing before that was brought up, it just intensified the argument into a fight. Jealous lover turns killer, sure, but blaming social media for it (or implying it) seems a bit like blaming the phone if he'd gone ballistic over her having some other man's number in her contacts.

You would have to be out of your goddamn mind to blame Facebook over a man who actively assaulted someone, though.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Sounds like a good husband, I'm sure his relationship with his wife is healthy and trusting.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think something broke in one of my ex girlfriend's brains. For the last week she's been sharing nothing but posts from a page called "I LOVE being BLACK!" and image macros about how hard it is to be a fireman's wife.

She's a white girl from a nice suburb in NJ who went to equestrian school in Tennessee and isn't married or (I think) even in a relationship.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

fullroundaction posted:

I think something broke in one of my ex girlfriend's brains. For the last week she's been sharing nothing but posts from a page called "I LOVE being BLACK!" and image macros about how hard it is to be a fireman's wife.

She's a white girl from a nice suburb in NJ who went to equestrian school in Tennessee and isn't married or (I think) even in a relationship.

You realize you need to share this poo poo with us.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's all completely mundane stuff, I just have no idea why she follows these pages let alone is sharing their content.

Here's one she just put up. I don't even understand what it means, in context.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

fullroundaction posted:

It's all completely mundane stuff, I just have no idea why she follows these pages let alone is sharing their content.

To all the wives going to church by themselves today, and answering the question "Where's your husband?" (why isn't he in church). Because he's a fireman and he's working. Or worked last night and is sleeping. Or firemen are mostly atheists, or something.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

fullroundaction posted:

Maybe instead of her brain, somebody has either hijacked her account or is just trying to be funny by posting weird poo poo when she didn't log off a shared computer or something. I've seen that a few times when my friends started posting really out of character stuff.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Or maybe she has other friends, one of whom is black and/or a fireman's wife, and she shares them because she sees them from other friend(s) and thinks they're funny/insightful/whatever.

I know that having more than one friend is a hard concept for most of us goons to accept, but it does happen.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah but in that case wouldn't you tag that person or post it to their timeline instead? I mean this is ALL she's been posting, out of nowhere. I guess I'll ask her and report back, for goon science.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah but in that case wouldn't you tag that person or post it to their timeline instead? I mean this is ALL she's been posting, out of nowhere. I guess I'll ask her and report back, for goon science.

Not really. Most of what I've seen is people just posting stuff like normal and then getting found out or admitting it when all their friends went :wtc: about it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

fullroundaction posted:

I love this since if it's implying "why isn't your husband here" they're getting judged. Because you know that is exactly what Jesus would do!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Toriori posted:

I love this since if it's implying "why isn't your husband here" they're getting judged. Because you know that is exactly what Jesus would do!

That's pretty much what gatherings at some churches are all about, whether it's being judged about your husband's absence or about the clothes you decided to wear, how much money you put in the collection plate, etc. etc. Not to say they're all like that, just I remember Sunday at some churches was kind of all about about putting on your best face and getting gossiped about if someone thought you didn't.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

SybilVimes posted:

Cyber Murder: New Growing "Trend"?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

They really do think it's a war, don't they.

Good. Let's send in the missile drones.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
E: nvm I no speak English good today

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Oct 5, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I know this is a meaningless detail but is that italic super slanted for anyone else? It looks like how I feel after a day of heavy day drinking.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

They really do think it's a war, don't they.

Good. Let's send in the missile drones.

To be fair, when your life is so pathetic that video games are literally all you have going for you, this is the closest thing they'll get to a war.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What the gently caress did I just read?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mng posted:

What the gently caress did I just read?

Some companies got so much poo poo on social media for running ads on certain evil game-destroying Feminazi websites that they pulled advertising on them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Like those dim fucks ever use a Unilever product in the first place.

Oh, apparently Unilever makes AXE. I recant my previous statement.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I look forward to the day that this whole gamergate thing blows over, and gamers quietly get back to posting angry bullshit in the dark corners of the internet, pretending their actions matter against the industry

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Like those dim fucks ever use a Unilever product in the first place.

Oh, apparently Unilever makes AXE. I recant my previous statement.

Unilever makes everything you use!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
On the plus side one of my buddies actually works in the industry and he and his coworkers are all really supportive and want more diversity :unsmith:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

On the plus side one of my buddies actually works in the industry and he and his coworkers are all really supportive and want more diversity :unsmith:

This is also the case with a buddy of mine in the industry, whose boss is actually a (gasp) woman.

I honestly thought the howling sexist morons had pretty much definitively lost when it came out that the entire thing was a smear/harassment campaign co-planned by some 4chan babymen and a bitter, crazy ex-boyfriend of Zoe Quinn's.

But I still see idiots on all manner of social media who believe every ridiculous claim about her because she's one of those dreaded sex-having females.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is also the case with a buddy of mine in the industry, whose boss is actually a (gasp) woman.

I honestly thought the howling sexist morons had pretty much definitively lost when it came out that the entire thing was a smear/harassment campaign co-planned by some 4chan babymen and a bitter, crazy ex-boyfriend of Zoe Quinn's.

But I still see idiots on all manner of social media who believe every ridiculous claim about her because she's one of those dreaded sex-having females.

"When it came out"??? It was known from day one.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

NotAnArtist posted:

I look forward to the day that this whole gamergate thing blows over

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F9icbZbVXbl1-BJ0EsPJn2jIMplqrgLJCBEi4SG4ntw/preview?sle=true

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I miss the days when 4chan targeted people like Scientologists. At least then you could laugh at both parties. This though? It's just like watching the neckbeard no one liked in high school try and argue that he would have been prom king if it weren't for the bitch that was voted queen and because reasons.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
They're not on 4chan any more. Moot kicked them out because they were annoying everyone and spilling their poo poo all over every other board and frankly it was a convenient way to remove a bunch of garbage people all at once who had helpfully labelled themselves. They have a /gg/ board on some break-off chanboard now.

The neckbeard tears about Moot being a stooge of BIG SJW were delicious. :getin:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Gagmergate just strikes me as a lot of babymen who don't understand the basics of social interaction and the politics of career building. UGH, some people KNEW some other people and liked them and gave them jobs and preferential treatment, UGH SO UNFAIR WE MUST GET REVENGE.

I just want to line them all up and run down the line with my hand out, an eternal smack. Of COURSE who you know and who likes you affects your career, goddamn. They're just pissed that whashername knows how to play the game better than them.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Gagmergate just strikes me as a lot of babymen who don't understand the basics of social interaction and the politics of career building. UGH, some people KNEW some other people and liked them and gave them jobs and preferential treatment, UGH SO UNFAIR WE MUST GET REVENGE.

I just want to line them all up and run down the line with my hand out, an eternal smack. Of COURSE who you know and who likes you affects your career, goddamn. They're just pissed that whashername knows how to play the game better than them.

Their goals are far more pathetic and repulsive. They really, really hate the idea of women having any kind of influence or power over their toys.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's not even about that; after all, one of the focal points is Anita Sarkeesian's kickstarter, and it's not like that was based on her personal connections to thousands of individual kickstarter backers. As far as I can tell, there is no specific unifying complaint at all, just a vast amorphous mass of hatred toward women being involved in video games.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I dunno, 6942069hitler1996 makes a lot of cogent points on the whole gamer gate thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I dunno, 6942069hitler1996 makes a lot of cogent points on the whole gamer gate thing.

http://jonstonechannel2.tumblr.com/post/99246356388/why-bother-with-gamergate

Jon Stone has :words: to say too

• Locked thread