Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Why? WHY?? Hideous.

Because now they are going to have a TT family, coupe's, sedan's, wagons, probably a CUV at some point. I want to blame China for lots of the dumb poo poo we see now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spatule posted:

Audi TT Sportback

What the gently caress is with the Germans and adding doors to things?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Still better than BMW, Acura, and Honda's attempts.

But that's not saying much.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I mean I get the practical part of why they don't, but by now you'd figure they'd understand that sport trucks are a thing, and at least offer something good for the RC/SB 2wd's.

I think that's why I like the Ram Express. You get the Hemi, a poo poo ton of insane colors to choose from (I'm partial to Construction Yellow) and either 3.55's or 3.92's, and you can specify open or locked for each. All for under $30k

e- the EB F Series stuff intrigues me, though, I wanna see how they're holding up in two or three more years. We've already had three through my auction with blown motors, but I dunno if it's a build issue or user error
I've thought for a while now that the manufacturers should offer 4-5 colors in package A or B (maybe a package C too) for dealer stock orders, and open everything up for custom orders. Dealers get a simplified ordering system for their stock, while customers who want something specific can order what they want.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The Lightning needs to come back. Fuuuuck it's all there. At this point it really is just a checkbox special with a new body kit and some recarios given the body/engine of the basic truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

The Lightning needs to come back. Fuuuuck it's all there. At this point it really is just a checkbox special with a new body kit and some recarios given the body/engine of the basic truck.

The last gen lightining was 380 bhp @ 4750 rpm, 450 lb-ft @ 3250 rpm and 4700lbs.
The Ecoboost in navigator spec is 380 @ 5,250 rpm, 460 lb.-ft. @ 2,750 rpm and a reg cab/short box f-150 with it would be around 4273lbs. The closest you can actually build is a reg cab/long box at 4416lbs.

edit: the eccoboost also leaves a little on the table, like the lightning.

quote:

Final Result of Test 1 (add Tune only): 421WTQ and 347WHP
Gains: +125wtq/+70whp @3000rpm and +75wtq/+60whp @4000rpm

Final Result of Test 2 (add Full-Race catback exhaust): 516WTQ and 341WHP
Gains: +150wtq/+75whp @2500rpm, +200wtq/+100whp @2750rpm

http://www.full-race.com/articles/full-race-f-150-ecoboost-dyno-testing.php

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 4, 2014

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Lambo Asterion LPI 910-4

I really like the design here, in particular the rear. It's a hybrid that they claim is a one-off prototype, but given the recent successes from McLaren and Porsche, I think it's pretty likely that this will get made soon enough.
I see a lot of the Miura in the Asterion.

Spatule posted:

Audi TT Sportback

Looks a lot better than the A7.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

So has everyone slept through the Paris motor show? While I think the MX-5 was supposed to have the specs released (beyond the 1.5/2l engines), there are a couple of awesome cars out already, I almost blue myself:

Lambo Asterion LPI 910-4

I really like the design here, in particular the rear. It's a hybrid that they claim is a one-off prototype, but given the recent successes from McLaren and Porsche, I think it's pretty likely that this will get made soon enough.

Dropped something heavy on a GT-R

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Want to see a million Jeep fans, and a good portion of Ohio loving riot?

Possible aluminum, unibody, turbo four cylinder Wrangler.

:v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't get the "grossly inflated prices" bit. Cars in America are amazingly, stunningly cheap. When I look at car reviews and they list the price in dollars, I can't help but be insanely jealous.

Using the E-class as an example, in the UK it starts at £34,270.00. That's $55,673. In the US, it's $51,400. Actually way closer than I thought. Mercedes seems to keep the prices very similar. However, with other companies, the differential is higher. The higher the price, the higher the difference, mostly due to VAT. A base Porsche 911 in the US - $84,300. A base 911 in the UK - £73,509, or $119419.

3 Series BMW: US - $32,750. UK - $38,258.

Since no one really answered this, the UK prices all include VAT which is now 20%. All the US prices are exclusive of whatever local and state sales taxes might get applied (and federal ones if there are any). And even when all that happens it's still going to be less than 20%.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

They'll probably bring the tremor back. It's just a partsbin package. Raptor Diff, FX2 trim, EB engine. Only this time they have a factory premium tune for the EB bringing it to 380hp/460ft/lbs.

You can still get either EB with a locking 3.73 in the reg cab/long box, and a locking 3.55 in the reg cab/short box 5.0. The 2.7 ecoboost is only an $800 option over the 5.0.

Yeah it's the start of a new generation they're probably busy filling orders for vanilla stuff and watching for emerging problems (though idk what Ford's production capacity is at right now), expect to see more specialty stuff later on.

MrYenko posted:

Want to see a million Jeep fans, and a good portion of Ohio loving riot?

Possible aluminum, unibody, turbo four cylinder Wrangler.

:v:

So basically what the new Cherokee should have been. It's the Charger/Challenger naming thing all over again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mustang GT hit the strip. 12.86 @ 107mph. Stock, non-PP.
Very nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbD412SKIYY

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Numbers are out for the ND?

quote:

I just came back from automotive survey featuring 2 ND miatas, one with soft top right hand drive like the one we saw in Monterey. One with targa/power retractable hardtop concept. They are being comparing against Audi TT, BMW Z4, Toyota FRS and Mini copper convertible.

The final number for miata is 155hp with 148ft/lbs and 2300lbs for soft top and 2400lbs for retractable hardtop concept. Retractable hard top / targa has panorama roof like the SLK.

The interior of the new ND feel smaller than my current NC. The door is higher or the seat is lower than current NC. Six speed manual is standard with keyless start stop. Navigation is on the Japanese model but doesn't know if American model have the navigation option. The navigation display is the Same as the new Mazda 3.

Soft top starting price in 30,495 and retractable hardtop/targa is 32,985

I think it might be bullshit since it was posted at 4am EDT, but who knows. :confused:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=7161901&postcount=216

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Manufacturers would be wise to offer their RWD vehicles with a range of open or locked gears, ranging from 3.20ish up to 4.10 or 4.11. it can't be that hard or cost prohibitive to do.

There at least used to be some sort of fuel mileage or noise test that was done in the lowest selectable gear on an automatic. In true GM fashion, when one rear axle option on a fourthgen Fbody would have failed this test if they allowed you to select first, they simply blocked it in the shifter mechanism for cars with that ratio.

So, yeah, offering all of those gear options would add a shitload of testing and possible changes to meet federal regulations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Phone posted:

Numbers are out for the ND?

I think it might be bullshit since it was posted at 4am EDT, but who knows. :confused:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=7161901&postcount=216

155hp for $30k? Are they purposely aiming to have the ND sell worse than the NC?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

In other "sport truck" news, chevy has new "sport trucks"

22" wheels, carbon fiber stickers and a 285hp v6. Sporty!

I think GM has given up on the "actual sporty truck" concept simply because the aftermarket is so strong for their products that any customer in their right mind is just going to go that route anyway.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ehnus posted:

155hp for $30k? Are they purposely aiming to have the ND sell worse than the NC?

There's no way they're moving the base price 20 percent. That would be in line with a loaded model, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's Internet conjecture as far as I'm concerned, but it's "numbers". I think the official Mazda numbers should come out by December, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I know the miata is all about handling instead of power, but 155hp?!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

I know the miata is all about handling instead of power, but 155hp?!
Why do you think that isn't enough? It weighs what, a straight ton?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I saw that I was pretty behind on this thread, and hey I like new cars so I thought I'd catch up!

Read the last 10-12 pages and have concluded that everything is horrible so the only logical answer is to buy the new Miata and rig up a Rube Goldberg machine so that every time I drive it ends with a boot kicking me in the nuts.
:smithfrog:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

More like a long ton, am i right? :haw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Even if it's 2000lb even that's only equivalent to 227 in a 3k lb car. Ignoring driver weight mattering more in the miata. 225 isn't that impressive today either.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

InitialDave posted:

Since that's exactly what the US is getting right now with the NC. My wife has an NC and I have an NB. Unless Mazda picks up the game a bit with the ND then I don't need another $30k+ slow rear end Miata that's fun since the top goes down but otherwise 'meh' and still feels a bit bloated. I really wish Mazda had someone to compete with in this market to wake them the gently caress up. The ND brings back what the NB was, but I have no delusions that it's slow as dog poo poo compared to even economy cars these days much less $30k+ 'fun' cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
To me, 155bhp in 1000kg is enough for a sporty road car.

The current UK MX5 is 126bhp in either 1150kg or 1230kg (soft or hard roof). 155/1000 is going to be signifigantly faster than that.

I'm not saying it's going to be a rocketship, I just don't understand why people are worrying about it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
WHY DO PEOPLE HERE ALWAYS RESPOND TO RUMORS AND RENDERINGS LIKE IT'S THE REAL THING????

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CharlesM posted:

WHY DO PEOPLE HERE ALWAYS RESPOND TO RUMORS AND RENDERINGS LIKE IT'S THE REAL THING????
Because we don't have the real things to respond to and 155 is a "reasonable" number based on past performance. If you have an exact number we'll be happy to hear it.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The press release did say that the engines would be specifically tuned for the MX-5 so I'm guessing a slight bump from 155hp. Just how slight is unknown - miata.net forums are saying anywhere from 165-180. I just want the actual figures dammit :negative:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
According to Enrico Fermi 2015 Miata will have 10 wheels, 1 wheel drive, weigh 1,000lbs, have a 1,000cc engine making 100hp, and cost $10,000.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

According to Enrico Fermi 2015 Miata will have 10 wheels, 1 wheel drive, weigh 1,000lbs, have a 1,000cc engine making 100hp, and cost $10,000.

Wow, they're only putting 100 hp in it? This is outrageous!!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Will there be a turbo version?

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Will there be a turbo version?

The turbo version will also make 100 HP and have a 10 cylinder engine :science:

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Only ten wheels? That's bullshit I'm boycotting Mazda :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tommychu posted:

GM... customer in their right mind....

Come again?

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It also seats one and gets 10 mpg.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Only having a 2.0 is loving bullshit who does Mazda think they're fooling with this trash, I for one will not be buying an ND and will be taking my money elsewhere to buy a different tiny, elemental, light weight, drop-top, driver-focused sports car such as the

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wheeee posted:

Only having a 2.0 is loving bullshit who does Mazda think they're fooling with this trash, I for one will not be buying an ND and will be taking my money elsewhere to buy a different tiny, elemental, light weight, drop-top, driver-focused sports car such as the

NB

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

Porsche Boxster? It's also extremely underpowered for the price, mid $50k for 265hp.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

Come again?

Full-size trucks are exempt from the "GM and everything about them and everyone who buys their vehicles is awful" thing. For the most part.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tommychu posted:

Full-size trucks are exempt from the "GM and everything about them and everyone who buys their vehicles is awful" thing. For the most part.

You know, I said that, but then some people came in and bitched about "but this one time etc. etc.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

InitialDave posted:

To me, 155bhp in 1000kg is enough for a sporty road car.

The current UK MX5 is 126bhp in either 1150kg or 1230kg (soft or hard roof). 155/1000 is going to be signifigantly faster than that.

I'm not saying it's going to be a rocketship, I just don't understand why people are worrying about it.

No Euro interjection in the "is it enough horsepower" debate, please, you've collectively proven yourself incapable