Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Zweihander's weren't that common on PS3 or PC in my experience, probably because it was really hard to use effectively since anyone decent would just toggle then parry or BS.

I remember that they were everywhere at first but once people figured out you could block swing one and get an auto parry against swing 2 they started disappearing. Got replaced later on with 2H R1 Falchion spam which is too fast for anyone but a wizard on a T1 to reliably parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Armor is already garbage enough in DS2, what more do you want?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

How have I never seen this before. Very funny slow burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iVXAbnIls&list=UUR3DTFdJ7Is40OT7WwTN6yA
How can you live like this?

What accent is that? I'm so confused

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Armour is EXTREMELY good in DaS 2, it's the strongest it's been in any Souls game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Read posted:

Armour is EXTREMELY good in DaS 2, it's the strongest it's been in any Souls game.

I don't know if you're talking values or something, but Havel can tank quite a bit of stuff in endgame DS1, while upgraded Vengrals gets destroyed by mobs pretty quickly. I'm talking from a PvE perspective.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tae posted:

Yeah, armour is so garbage that everyone in high SM is running around in havels just for the looks. :shepface:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Yeah, armour is so garbage that everyone in high SM is running around in havels just for the looks. :shepface:

That's what I do :ohdear:

Though I like the look of the heide knight iron mask helmet on it. Colors don't match but I like the blockiness.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Why am I the only one running around in Targray's? That dude knows style.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I don't know if you're talking values or something, but Havel can tank quite a bit of stuff in endgame DS1, while upgraded Vengrals gets destroyed by mobs pretty quickly. I'm talking from a PvE perspective.

Havels can tank quite a lot in Dark Souls 2 as well, in fact it was even nerfed the defenses were so good! Moreover, you can reach such high elemental defense (granted this is in conjunction with rings and buffs) that you can become immune to elemental damage entirely.

I think I might revise my statement to be "defenses are extremely strong in Dark Souls 2" rather than armour though, considering how big of a role Dispelling +1 and GMB play in elemental defense.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think what you're really talking about are elemental defenses, which are calculated much more generously than physical defenses are.

EDIT: Nice stealth chameleon edit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Hahaha gently caress

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Why am I the only one running around in Targray's? That dude knows style.

nah, it's all about the benhart chest piece bro

also poise and armor were unbelievably stupid in ds1 cuz you could facetank your way through levels when the game was designed to wear away at your resources if you tried that

in ds2 the encounter design is done in a way to where the resources aren't really a big deal vs. the actual enemy encounters themselves, which basically kill you if you try to do that due to the pretty high damage enemies do alongside the larger enemy count that's there

armor being negligible enough in pvp lets me fashion souls without feeling totally shittily gimped too so wooo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fereydun posted:

armor being negligible enough in pvp lets me fashion souls without feeling totally shittily gimped too so wooo

Uh, armor is pretty OP. Physical defense matters a huge deal in PVP, which is why everyone wears Havel's (that and the poise it gives).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Uh, armor is pretty OP. Physical defense matters a huge deal in PVP, which is why everyone wears Havel's (that and the poise it gives).

well poo poo

maybe it's just the poise aspect i notice then 'cuz i don't notice enough of a damage difference between haveljesters, havelhorses and fashion souls dudes vs. when someone poises through my attack to trade into their stuff

other cool somewhat ignored armor: falconer's armor! even though knights start with it, nobody sticks to the dang thing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keep in mind I'm speaking from a pure PvE perspective, which basically forces you to dodge or have a high stability shield in the late game/DLC because enemies hit so hard that it doesn't matter.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I don't think the Souls series has even been a game where PvE facetanking was intended to be a viable strategy. This isn't Fable or something where you unlock late game god armor and just steamroll everything. Pick up a greatshield or practice rolling.

//edit: I cowered behind a giant shield for most of my Dark Souls 1 runs but have been having a blast with various non-shield gimmick runs. If you can rely more on reflexes and less on gear, you really open up a lot of fun possibilities and can tear through the early-game a lot faster. There are still some encounters where I will take up a shield if I get frustrated, but for the most part I try not to.

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 6, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fereydun posted:

other cool somewhat ignored armor: falconer's armor! even though knights start with it, nobody sticks to the dang thing

I just get sick of looking at the thing honestly. It's the base for one of the three classes I generally start as and when you make that many characters, yeah, you're gonna want a change of pace pretty quick.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In PvE, physical defense matters in literally only one way, but I think it matters a lot more than some folks think.

Sometimes it's the difference between taking two hits and three. That's a much bigger deal than you think, because it means if you get hit while healing, you survive. If you only have two hits, then you'll die.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Oh my god, I need to stop making this game unnecessarily challenging for myself. And taking bosses existence personally. Playing a mage character on CoC NG+1, I decide I'm going to take down Mytha without draining her poison. Turns out I just don't have the DPS and can't respond to the tell for her spinny move. After failing about 20 times, rather than give in and do it the easy way I decide that I'll come back later with some physical stats. Hit every other Lord soul, do Sunken King but no improvement in my performance.

Then when testing out random spells on her I find Fire Whip poise breaks her once a cast allowing you to chain it. On goes the Hexer Hood, Fire Clutch Ring, Handcuffs and Northern Ritual+2 and I blow her away before my poison meter even fills.

This freaking game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Keep in mind I'm speaking from a pure PvE perspective, which basically forces you to dodge or have a high stability shield in the late game/DLC because enemies hit so hard that it doesn't matter.

Without danger there is no Souls though. There are two things that made you almost invincible in Souls history. In Demon's the spell Warding, which you could get very early on, lasted for like 90 seconds and negated 90% or so of physical damage. It took all of the challenge out of the game and I'm pretty sure someone could beat it blindfolded with the sound off using only warding and soul ray. In Da1 before it was patched Iron Flesh negated 90% of all damage and gave you either infinite or near infinite poise -- you would just cast it, waddle up to a boss, R1 and heal at your leisure. This became a strategy suggested so often for killing the Four Kings that it became a cliche, subject of bad Youtube joke videos, etc. In both cases it was a huge mistake and made the game trivial. Making armor "effective" would do much the same.

Also if you only use heavy armor you might not realize how big of a difference it makes even in PVE in Da2. Being able to take two hits before you have to heal changes everything vs. getting one shot or having to fit in a heal every time you get hit. This plus heavy armor users often have enough vit that they can easily throw on a Gyrm shield or whatever with the help of a ring or taking off a bow or sometimes just taking off their gloves whereas a lighter build would fatroll automatically.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senethro posted:

Oh my god, I need to stop making this game unnecessarily challenging for myself. And taking bosses existence personally. Playing a mage character on CoC NG+1, I decide I'm going to take down Mytha without draining her poison. Turns out I just don't have the DPS and can't respond to the tell for her spinny move. After failing about 20 times, rather than give in and do it the easy way I decide that I'll come back later with some physical stats. Hit every other Lord soul, do Sunken King but no improvement in my performance.

Then when testing out random spells on her I find Fire Whip poise breaks her once a cast allowing you to chain it. On goes the Hexer Hood, Fire Clutch Ring, Handcuffs and Northern Ritual+2 and I blow her away before my poison meter even fills.

This freaking game.

She's just very weak to fire. That's why they give you Jester Thomas there.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Well, that's done

That's nine Charred Loyce Greatswords, ten charred shields, twelve charred helmets, thirteen sets of charred armor, twelve pairs of charred gauntlets, twelve pairs of charred leggings, and finally, those fifty Loyce Souls, and my rewards in the form of one set of uncharred Loyce Armor and Alsanna's soul. Phew.

Co-op is the best way to do this. If you're farming in your own world after the Ivory King is dead, the knights just come three at a time, and it's slow work. Of course, you can get the drops in others' worlds as well. So either get summoned a lot, or if you're like me and can't get any hits, ascetic the bonfire so the boss as well as all your knight buddies come back, summon some people who are obviously trying to farm as well (wearing the symbol of avarice, jester's hat, and/or prisoner's tatters) and go to town on the three whole waves of charred Loyce knights that spawn before the boss! Then black crystal all your buddies before the boss shows up and do it again.

I do feel like thirty souls, rather than fifty, to get the soul and be able to buy the ivory king's armor would be a much more reasonable, significantly less tedious requirement, though.

Now I've just got to clear the Frigid Outskirts! Hurrah for being an obsessive completionist?

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 6, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

well poo poo

maybe it's just the poise aspect i notice then 'cuz i don't notice enough of a damage difference between haveljesters, havelhorses and fashion souls dudes vs. when someone poises through my attack to trade into their stuff

Defense is huge in DS2. It was huge in DS1 too, but because armor was so homogenized and you got most of your defense via levels/humanity, nobody noticed.

The physical defense formula is roughly 5 defense = -1 damage, while elemental is 1 defense = 0.1% damage reduction. All characters have an inherent 10% elemental reduction, so 900 defense in any element provides complete immunity. With the advent of the Pharros Mask, which applies Wet status, the Flame Quartz +3, and Dispelling +1, you can reach 900 Fire Defense trivially with decent armor and Flash Sweat/Great Magic Barrier. I kinda feel sorry for people who go 100% fire because anyone can shut them down with 0 investment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

It was huge in DS1 too, but because armor was so homogenized and you got most of your defense via levels/humanity, nobody noticed.

Mother fucker, that's why everyone hit harder in my 2nd playthrough of DS2. I barely had any humanity compared to my 1st run.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alabaster White posted:

Defense is huge in DS2. It was huge in DS1 too, but because armor was so homogenized and you got most of your defense via levels/humanity, nobody noticed.

The physical defense formula is roughly 5 defense = -1 damage, while elemental is 1 defense = 0.1% damage reduction. All characters have an inherent 10% elemental reduction, so 900 defense in any element provides complete immunity. With the advent of the Pharros Mask, which applies Wet status, the Flame Quartz +3, and Dispelling +1, you can reach 900 Fire Defense trivially with decent armor and Flash Sweat/Great Magic Barrier. I kinda feel sorry for people who go 100% fire because anyone can shut them down with 0 investment.

You can't actually hit 900 elemental defense anymore, they capped it at 890. So you only get 99% reduction, and not 100%. I guess they wanted to prevent people from standing in fire or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Getting to the DLC finally (a little bit late), and wow the Fume Knight is lazy design. I really hate bosses that completely change what they do at HP thresholds, in any game--if you want two completely different bosses, just make two completely different bosses. I've learned the first phase well enough that I could take down an entire HP bar of it with a few tries, but instantly die every time I enter the second phase because it's impossible to practice, being halfway through a tricky boss.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

cheetah7071 posted:

Getting to the DLC finally (a little bit late), and wow the Fume Knight is lazy design. I really hate bosses that completely change what they do at HP thresholds, in any game--if you want two completely different bosses, just make two completely different bosses. I've learned the first phase well enough that I could take down an entire HP bar of it with a few tries, but instantly die every time I enter the second phase because it's impossible to practice, being halfway through a tricky boss.

Wear any piece of Velstadt's armor set. He'll go into phase 2 immediately, which is actually easier to dodge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Begemot posted:

Wear any piece of Velstadt's armor set. He'll go into phase 2 immediately, which is actually easier to dodge.

I guess it wouldn't be Dark Souls without incredibly obscure poo poo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Except it's not obescure when you read the lore when you beat Fume Knight for the first time. He just told you without why he powers up immediately.

edit:

Yeahvvvv that is more obescure because most of the walls have no tell at all.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 6, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess it wouldn't be Dark Souls without incredibly obscure poo poo.

It's pretty low on the obscure thing. Raime was mentioned on the Rebel's Shield where you fight the flame salamanders and the beef between him and Vessy. Obscure would be literally every invisible wall in DS2 because they are for the most part the exact same textures as other walls, unlike DS1.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tae posted:

It's pretty low on the obscure thing. Raime was mentioned on the Rebel's Shield where you fight the flame salamanders and the beef between him and Vessy. Obscure would be literally every invisible wall in DS2 because they are for the most part the exact same textures as other walls, unlike DS1.

You find out it's raime after you kill him.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I liked the fume knight a lot, actually. He is one of the bosses that can force you to get a little bit better. After beating him, I threw away my heavy-armor, havel's shield wearing tank and made a naked robflynn rapier poker. Fun to go through the game naked and shieldless after playing the tank role for so long. Made sure to help a bunch of people with the fume knight too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

Switching a boss up halfway can be bad but in this case I think it's thematic and fair. Also Fume Knight is the best fight in the game and one of the highlights of the Souls series for good tough fights where you have to learn something new. Unless you're a mage of course, then you never learn anything in the game apart from roll backwards twice and fire lasers over and over.

I look back at Flamelurker with fondness. Fumey is next. I sure as poo poo didn't think either one was fair or that they should switch it up like they do the first twenty times I fought either of them.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Seriously how can you complain about Fume Knight that fight is rad as gently caress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sheep-Goats posted:

Switching a boss up halfway can be bad but in this case I think it's thematic and fair. Also Fume Knight is the best fight in the game and the one of the highlights of the souls series for good tough fights where you have to learn something new. Unless you're a mage of course, then you never learn anything in the game apart from roll backwards twice and fire lasers over and over.

Since the patches you learn pretty quickly as a mage to give up firing lasers and pick up a claymore or katana and use a spell buff and do three to four times the damage your spells ever will.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 6, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Since the patches you learn pretty quickly as a mage to give up firing lasers and pick up a claymore or katana and use a spell buff and do three to four times the damage your spells ever will.

Good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's so trivial too in PVP to just gently caress everyone's day over with a katana I don't know why that didn't get hit at all. You don't even have to try. When I powerstanced them I did 95% of a dude's health in one attack, then lobbed a throwing knife to finish him off.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I agree about that -- katanas are stupidly overpowered and need a good deep dicking.

Straight swords need a limp dicking. Probably a few other weapons I don't know about too. Probably the Leo ring as well.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Most of the OP stuff gets nerfed every other patch and then people find new stuff, but katanas go untouched for some bizarre reason. At the very least they're relatively easy to parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fume's second form is much easier than his first.