Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Personally I am most invested in the gun witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Personally I am most invested in the gun witch.

The gun witch is real, and strong, and she's my friend.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
It's a tough choice as to which gunwitch is cooler, her or the one from "Nocturnals".

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Pick posted:

Speaking of, did the summary ever get released? I'm afraid I don't recall her Tumblr URL.

Unless there was any tumblr other than this, then no, unfortunately.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I love giant golden manbaby

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I just want to say I love the little secretly terrifying dog in Widdershins today.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Demon:

Bobulus posted:

So it seems pretty inevitable how this story ends, right?

- He's established that his main strength is his quick wits.
- He's established that he can be affected by physical ailments. (Like being blind)
- His only desire is to get revenge on the man who killed his family.
- That man is brain damaged and in jail.

He's going to get so, so close to the man, but fail at the last moment, and wind up trapped in the man's body, too brain damaged to think his way out of the situation and stuck in jail.

If you contribute to his patreon, you get early access to the comics, and while we're not very far ahead, we just learned that this prediction is wrong. But I'm not even going to spoiler-tag the details since that's just mean.

And yeah, given the reveal about the protagonist of one of the other comics he did (which I don't want to spoil by naming it), there's no way Shiga isn't aware of how evilly murdery the character in Demon is. I can't imagine how he plans to address it.

Meanwhile is my favorite of his, as it transcends the expectations of a comic-based-CYOA on several levels.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I actually just read Cheap Thrills today. Great comic, but man does it take a dark turn. It's a shame that it ended so suddenly.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I promise nothing!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nothings posted:

Demon:

If you contribute to his patreon, you get early access to the comics, and while we're not very far ahead, we just learned that this prediction is wrong. But I'm not even going to spoiler-tag the details since that's just mean.

And yeah, given the reveal about the protagonist of one of the other comics he did (which I don't want to spoil by naming it), there's no way Shiga isn't aware of how evilly murdery the character in Demon is. I can't imagine how he plans to address it.

Meanwhile is my favorite of his, as it transcends the expectations of a comic-based-CYOA on several levels.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't see how it qualifies as a 'superhero' comic (his words, not mine). I mean this guy is an absolute goddamn sociopath who's (indirectly) murdered possibly hundreds of people. I'm really finding it hard to root for him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it's supernatural (lack of :v:) horror

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Those last two panels are great; Poppy and Lefty are ready to clean up shop.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Saraiguma fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 4, 2014

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be perfectly honest, I really don't see how it qualifies as a 'superhero' comic (his words, not mine). I mean this guy is an absolute goddamn sociopath who's (indirectly) murdered possibly hundreds of people. I'm really finding it hard to root for him.

The appeal is similar to Breaking Bad, Dexter, Game of Thrones... basically any case where the protagonist is also the antagonist.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I want a plot contrivance to force them to switch roles: Lefty has to hulk-smash and Poppy has to have finesse.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poppy's gonna end up using that ceremonial buster blade :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

thousandcranes posted:

The appeal is similar to Breaking Bad, Dexter, Game of Thrones... basically any case where the protagonist is also the antagonist.
Welp I don't like any of those shows, so I guess it's not for me. Too bad, I liked Bookhunter and Fleep. And that doesn't address the whole 'superhero' label he's attached to the whole thing.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Demon:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Welp I don't like any of those shows, so I guess it's not for me. Too bad, I liked Bookhunter and Fleep. And that doesn't address the whole 'superhero' label he's attached to the whole thing.

I think you're misunderstanding his use of the word 'superhero', although to be fair he's not very clear unless you read the whole post carefully.

First off he says:

quote:

when I see my favorite cartoonists like Jaime Hernandez, Scott McCloud, Chris Ware or Dan Clowes waste their time with doing some superhero comic. I just want to yell, “Get over it already!!! You know how you can subvert the superhero genre? By not making a superhero story you fools!”

which might make you think he's not subverting it. But he is; or rather he appears to be deconstructing it (despite his analogy saying "I’m not trying to deconstruct a hamburger"). He says:

quote:

the Dark Knight and Kickass movies being 2 recent examples. Except, they took the stupidest part which is the costumes and the crime fighting and left out the best part which is the superpowers. I’d think in reality if any of us could be invisible, we’d just sneak into movie theaters and bank vaults.

He wants to make a comic about having a superpower.

So, my understanding is that this is his 'take' on the superhero genre in the sense that it's an exploration of having a superpower, but not of being a superhero. But the genre isn't called 'the superpower genre', it's called 'the superhero genre', so the way the English language works, and the way comic genres are named, forces him to say his superhero-less book is 'a superhero comic'.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jessie I'm not sure you're making the right move this time :ohdear:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

When has she ever made the right move?

I'm not sure what the beep-beeping thing is, if it's an explosive to break the monster out it's a really bad idea. If it's some sort of beacon for the aliens, then it's a good idea but the story would probably end.

Jessie's gonna be responsible for letting the monster destroy the entire human race.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cat Mattress posted:

If it's some sort of beacon for the aliens, then it's a good idea but the story would probably end.

Per the kickstarter, the comic was originally intended to be 50 pages, so it's coming to an end soon one way or the other. I'm thinking that's her being paged by the aliens to hand the monster over, but if not she's probably going to kill the thing rather than leave even a chance that it could escape in the middle of the prolonged execution the Protectorate has planned for it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Operant posted:

If you read my comic you might be interested in this, I'll stick it up my site eventually but I want to plug the stuff I did for Prophet for a bit first.

These are all side characters, but they're going to be a recurring plot element and are the background to when Noodle Lady becomes more important.

Hey. So the two guys I've been watching out for have names, and presumably both are still alive (actually one's a girl, go figure). Here's to you Keirinsaval and Monkey, please don't die.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Today's Oglaf is quite disturbing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow you weren't kidding :v:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
That's definitely one hell of an owl impression.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, any idea what the heck is going on in Monster Pulse today? I'm lost :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Since Abel is waking up somewhere other than the ship probably a dream. Or maybe it's Violet's brain deer

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Parts Kit posted:

Today's Oglaf is quite disturbing.

Disturbing, nothing. It's like a missile fired from a different and much funnier dimension into ours.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Autonomous Monster posted:

Disturbing, nothing. It's like a missile fired from a different and much funnier dimension into ours.
Jesus Christ.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not sure what the beep-beeping thing is, if it's an explosive to break the monster out it's a really bad idea. If it's some sort of beacon for the aliens, then it's a good idea but the story would probably end.
Seems like a weapon, the monster mentioned finally dying. (?)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The aliens want to bring the monster up to their ship to have an interrogation / execution for him. The monster wants / claims to want to either be set free or killed instantly so that he won't suffer. He also seems interested in shaping the way Jessie thinks. (The last time he helped her reach a decision, it spurred him into action) Jessie refuses to either free him or kill him.

This seems to have spurred him into taking action again?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It is funny, yes, but in a terrifying sort of way :stonklol:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oh no doubt.

But it's still disturbing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I thought it was a hoot, m'self.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keir's armour is :darksouls: as gently caress, getting the urge to bust out the modelling clay over here

e/ it's actually better because Souls never had puffy trousers, much to my disappointment.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cat Mattress posted:

When has she ever made the right move?

Jessie's gonna be responsible for letting the monster destroy the entire human race.

The thing is probably a bomb to break the glass and set off whatever (lethal?) containment measures have been put in place. Probably lots of weedkiller. She wouldn't be able to sneak in a big enough weapon to kill it, but she can make it look like it's "killed while escaping"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Brawl in the Family has ended the only way that it could, with one final song.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
...and Dresden Codak updated again, already? Whaaaaaaa?

(I mean, it's talking heads, but still.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

...and Dresden Codak updated again, already? Whaaaaaaa?

(I mean, it's talking heads, but still.)

Copy-pasted talking heads.

Soon, Dresden Codak will consist of Kim and some other character, in 3/4 profile cut off at the knees, making B^U faces at each other.

And it'll be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So Dark Science is magic. Got it.

• Locked thread