Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

Black Bones posted:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I was attempting to provide a quick example of when children's art can be cool and interesting, so I thought I'd read the characters of Jungle Book as representing the underclasses of the inner city. Like, Baloo is obviously homeless, Bagheera is a manic street preacher (a Black Panther!), the wolves/vultures are street punks, Louie is a gangster or lounge singer (jazz? I dunno, some kinda old-timey stuff), Kaa is I guess a pimp, Shere Khan a murderer of some sort, the elephants would be cops. All these groups want to claim the orphan Mowgli in some fashion.

To be clearer, Baloo's culture-gender mixing is good. He is a hero, who successfully seduces Louie and topples his palace, freeing Mowgli.

your a mentally ill racist and a fag who sees minority stereotypes in jungle dwelling cartoon characters

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

My only real issue with Current Releases is that it has more to do with the writers need to self-identify as [insert political affiliation] than it has to do with film criticism, and too often film criticism gets used as a Trojan Horse for whatever eye-roll-inducing political ephemera is hot this week.

And they all come with a notion that regards a film's current social and political sensibilities - intentional or otherwise - as more important than the subtext, the message, or the artistry that went into making said film. Which is loving stupid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Black Bones posted:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I was attempting to provide a quick example of when children's art can be cool and interesting, so I thought I'd read the characters of Jungle Book as representing the underclasses of the inner city. Like, Baloo is obviously homeless, Bagheera is a manic street preacher (a Black Panther!), the wolves/vultures are street punks, Louie is a gangster or lounge singer (jazz? I dunno, some kinda old-timey stuff), Kaa is I guess a pimp, Shere Khan a murderer of some sort, the elephants would be cops. All these groups want to claim the orphan Mowgli in some fashion.

To be clearer, Baloo's culture-gender mixing is good. He is a hero, who successfully seduces Louie and topples his palace, freeing Mowgli.

It's amazing how your subversive "reading" comes within the orbit of deliberate choices by the filmmakers and camp readings without ever actually touching them.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I'm going to reiterate that the Gone Girl review was an amazingly bad political screed with no humorous overtones and it's sad whoever wrote it didn't have the courage to take their stance out in the open and defend it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gone girl was a good movie i just saw it and liked it a lot

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Black Bones posted:

To be clearer, Baloo's culture-gender mixing is good.

Thank you for clarifying this, I woke up in a cold sweat multiple times last night, screaming "IS THE SCENE WHERE A BEAR WEARS A DRESS I JUNGLE BOOK GOOD, OR IS IT BAD!!!!!!!" and I assume a great number of other posters in this forum were also seriously troubled by this matter to varying degrees.

If I may make one further request of your brilliant analytical mind and stunning, nay, inspiring grasp of the appeal of various mediums, who would you consider the target audience for Current Releases, and how does this audience compare to that of the rest of the front page? If you believe they are similar, could you explain the ways in which both appeal to this audience, with a focus on current releases. In this case, I would also be interested to hear whether or not you would agree that there is nonetheless a marked difference in tone between the two, and then ask why this does not affect their target audiences. If they are not similar, what are your arguments as to why this inconsistency is superior to the relatively consistent tone used by the vast majority of similar websites, and how large would you consider these two audiences relative to each other?

Finally,

Black Bones posted:

Bagheera is a manic street preacher (a Black Panther!)

Your use of the phrase "manic street preacher" here is something I find, for lack of a better word, problematic. As a fan of the band "Manic Street Preachers", I was considering changing my username to the title of one of their songs at some point in the near future as to escape the association of my name with the powerful and sick burns you dropped on me earlier in this thread, but now I am in two minds about doing so. If you could avoid this in future it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

That is all.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 6, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

th1nk posted:

Thank you for clarifying this, I woke up in a cold sweat multiple times last night, screaming "IS THE SCENE WHERE A BEAR WEARS A DRESS I JUNGLE BOOK GOOD, OR IS IT BAD!!!!!!!" and I assume a great number of other posters in this forum were also seriously troubled by this matter to varying degrees.

If I may make one further request of your brilliant analytical mind and stunning, nay, inspiring grasp of the appeal of various mediums, who would you consider the target audience for Current Releases, and how does this audience compare to that of the rest of the front page? If you believe they are similar, could you explain the ways in which both appeal to this audience, with a focus on current releases. In this case, I would also be interested to hear whether or not you would agree that there is nonetheless a marked difference in tone between the two, and why this does not affect their target audiences. If they are not similar, what are your arguments as to why this inconsistency is superior to the relatively consistent tone used by the vast majority of similar websites, and how large would you consider these two audiences relative to each other.

Finally,

Your use of the phrase "manic street preacher" here is something I find, for lack of a better word, problematic. As a fan of the band "Manic Street Preachers", I was considering changing my username to the title of one of their songs at some point in the near future as to escape the association of my name with the powerful and sick burns you dropped on me earlier in this thread, but now I am in two minds about doing so. If you could avoid this in future it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

That is all.

tahts f*cked up

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Judge Clayjar posted:

gone girl was a good movie i just saw it and liked it a lot

If you jam a coke bottle up your cooter, the theatre might give you a free ticket to see another movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you jam a coke bottle up your cooter, the theatre might give you a free ticket to see another movie.

they wont.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hmmmm..... I wonder if 7-11 will take this Coke bottle back when it's in this.... condition.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hmmmm..... I wonder if 7-11 will take this Coke bottle back when it's in this.... condition.

they wont.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm going to reiterate that the Gone Girl review was an amazingly bad political screed with no humorous overtones and it's sad whoever wrote it didn't have the courage to take their stance out in the open and defend it.

Given that there are five 3-digit follower Twitter accounts listed at the end of the article, and four of the five are people who were credited for their so-called reviews this week, it seems reasonable to venture a guess that the one who wasn't, Keanu Grieves, was the one who wrote that abominably bad Gone Girl review.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ah. Well, for a criticism: The reason I am uninterested in reading CR (one of many) is because virtually everything I have seen of it has been ire, and not necessarily genuine.

Very many of the excepts posted in this thread read as though the reviewers are perhaps not giving you insight into their real emotional responses at all, but rather giving you a canned and exaggerated outrage out of a perceived social obligation, or a college essay-style response upon later reflection with respect to their well-meaning but often misplaced political views. And both of those tell me nothing about how well a movie might appeal to me, since they are too fake to be meaningful.

this is a good post, and should be read by everyone. the reviewers who writes these articles obviously went into the movie with the thought foremost in their minds: what here is going to be problematic? then the review is written from the place of fear and anger that this thought inspired. the reviews have nothing to do with feminism and equality, and everything to do with fear and overreaction.

there is only the barest minimal attempt, or sometimes none made at all, discuss cohesion, plot development, believable characters, cinematography, or overall enjoyability. I don't think the reviewers in question are capable of discerning these things past their outrage. it seems like it must be very exhausting and upsetting to be these people, and see attacks on personal freedoms everywhere you go, and I don't particularly want to be a part of their world view. it's the reason I prefer to go to comedy websites instead of blogger's personal manifestos. only now, for some reason, they seem to be part of the same thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Given that there are five 3-digit follower Twitter accounts listed at the end of the article, and four of the five are people who were credited for their so-called reviews this week, it seems reasonable to venture a guess that the one who wasn't, Keanu Grieves, was the one who wrote that abominably bad Gone Girl review.
I'd like the gutless coward to step forward. Don't be shy.

Corridor posted:

this is a good post, and should be read by everyone. the reviewers who writes these articles obviously went into the movie with the thought foremost in their minds: what here is going to be problematic? then the review is written from the place of fear and anger that this thought inspired. the reviews have nothing to do with feminism and equality, and everything to do with fear and overreaction.

there is only the barest minimal attempt, or sometimes none made at all, discuss cohesion, plot development, believable characters, cinematography, or overall enjoyability. I don't think the reviewers in question are capable of discerning these things past their outrage. it seems like it must be very exhausting and upsetting to be these people, and see attacks on personal freedoms everywhere you go, and I don't particularly want to be a part of their world view. it's the reason I prefer to go to comedy websites instead of blogger's personal manifestos. only now, for some reason, they seem to be part of the same thing.
This is also a good post. It's one thing to care about issues, it's another thing entirely to focus on them all the time. The internet is not a pissing contest over who can be more outraged.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Are current releases actually meant to be movie reviews, or are they just academic exercises to shoehorn feminism and Marxism-Leninism into everything?

Pycckuu fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 6, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Corridor posted:

its as if somebody might feel shame that their hobby involves no craft or production but instead primiarly revolves around sitting on their rear end and so they have to intellectualise it, but being thunderously dumb their tastes are limited to filoms made for children and being generally shallow stories, they have to delve deep into the obtuse to find anything they can mould to fit their own projected insecurities about themselves and how they chose to fill the ample amounts of free time their existence grants the,.m

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

Are current releases actually meant to be movie reviews, or are they just academic exorcizes to shoehorn feminism and Marxism-Leninism into everything?

what these reviews preach is not feminism, my friend, nor are they related to any political ideology outside the internet.

Y-Hat posted:

I'd like the gutless coward to step forward. Don't be shy.

This is also a good post. It's one thing to care about issues, it's another thing entirely to focus on them all the time. The internet is not a pissing contest over who can be more outraged.

thank you, but i believe that on the last point you may be incorrect, as much as i wish you were not.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Corridor posted:

what these reviews preach is not feminism, my friend, nor are they related to any political ideology outside the internet.

I understand that. I am just wondering if we as a community are expecting the wrong thing from the current releases features on the front page? Maybe instead of being something that you would look up when you are curious about a new movie, you are instead meant to... do whatever it is that people do with the current version of current releases?

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Pycckuu posted:

I understand that. I am just wondering if we as a community are expecting the wrong thing from the current releases features on the front page? Maybe instead of being something that you would look up when you are curious about a new movie, you are instead meant to... do whatever it is that people do with the current version of current releases?

How will I know to avoid subjecting my children to the oppressive gender roles of Planes without Current Releases?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ah. Well, for a criticism: The reason I am uninterested in reading CR (one of many) is because virtually everything I have seen of it has been ire, and not necessarily genuine.

Very many of the excepts posted in this thread read as though the reviewers are perhaps not giving you insight into their real emotional responses at all, but rather giving you a canned and exaggerated outrage out of a perceived social obligation, or a college essay-style response upon later reflection with respect to their well-meaning but often misplaced political views. And both of those tell me nothing about how well a movie might appeal to me, since they are too fake to be meaningful.

That's definitely a really fair criticism. I do think it's possible to parse through the ones that are sincere or not but you raise the point that they're perhaps not doing their best on every review possible. There are some movies that definitely get more interest, especially lesser known movies that don't get a lot of publicity or advertising yet were good. Like Berberian Sound Studio, is it a great movie? Probably not, but I definitely enjoyed what it was trying to do.

They get lazy in regards to movies like Left Behind where I feel they must assume most of their readers are definitely not going to see it one way or another. I know I wouldn't see it anyway regardless of what they had written about it. As for a movie like Gone Girl, I imagine most people know if they want to see it or not. Fincher's a big enough name for those who go to the movies regularly enough that they know if they like his stuff. The same goes for Affleck. So you often get dumb reviews of movies that are going to be seen either which way. The kid's movies reviews are generally the most ridiculous because it's a genre that most of their target audience is probably not going to see.

I don't really blame them for the lackluster reviews in regards to movies no one really cares about, even though it does say that they may not be giving their all on every review, I think that's understandable.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The reviews are bad but I still click them each week because I enjoy watching manchildren effortpost about pointless poo poo. It's like that screenshot of that one gross guy on the internet who wrote a huge essay theorizing about what a video game character's sweat smells like; you're not going to read every word but you're going to pagedown a few times, glance at a few phrases about misogyny or urine, and laugh your rear end off.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

NutritiousSnack posted:

they won't.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
These reviews are making me thirsty!

For knowledge on how I can become a better ally to feminists. Does anyone have any resources?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Wow, leftist analysis really gets under your skin, eh?

Guess I'll use it more often then :dance:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Corridor posted:

there is only the barest minimal attempt, or sometimes none made at all, discuss cohesion, plot development, believable characters, cinematography, or overall enjoyability.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Wasn't he also the guy that wrote that grievously terrible review that was entirely a pissy "parody" of some article that offended him, that had little to nothing to say about the movie itself?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
So so mad. I don't even read the it, but it's making stupid internet people butthurt so I like it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hodgepodge posted:

So so mad. I don't even read the it, but it's making stupid internet people butthurt so I like it.

Don't post in this thread again.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
What does any of this have to do with the movie "Gone Girl"?

Perhaps I don't 'get' movie reviews but I don't see the connection??

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Ok I'm going to try to honestly explain the problem with this poo poo.

This is the most tepid, boring, 'leftist analysis' I've ever seen of media. Like, let's not even go into the ones so pointlessly hidden behind a lovely smoke screen (I legit have no clue what Gone Girl's review was even saying, I read it twice and I guess the girlfriend lies about rape in it or something and he's portrayed as abusive?), the 'leftist' view presented by these reviews always fills a set number of the world's most generic leftist observations about society possible:

- The military is in the movie and the good guys, wow way to support the military industrial complex.

- The military is in the movie and the bad guys, wow way to absolve soldiers of any guilt by making their commanders the real villains.

- A children's movie has literally any joke that I view as sexist, trying to teach em misogyny young Hollywood.

- A children's movie has no offensive jokes but has a bigger social message attached, gee I dunno, wasn't this a little hamfisted? Should we really be praising such a weak display? Also let me find a minor quibble to turn into a major flaw that invalidates it.

- A children's movie has no offensive jokes and no bigger message, wow way to treat kids like idiots, I as a grown man had no fun at this movie for children. This is why our kids' creativity is dying.

- A super hero movie exists at all, this is actually a wildcard, you can just slap whatever you want on here and be called brilliant. Iron Man was about allowing the wealthy to control the world, The Avengers was jingoistic 9/11 imagery, Spider-Man is about Peter Parker trying to own a woman! As long as you make the point be that the movie is actually hella regressive and basically only for bad people by bad people.

Then sprinkle in the world's laziest race/gender theory that always just boils down to 'wow perhaps this movie reveals the bigotry in society by having a minority in it that isn't a perfect character?' or just plain obtuse 'this comedy movie involved a scene where a woman was acting crazy, wow way to say all women are hysterical whores movie'.

My point is this is lefist media criticism in the same way going 'woah, hosed up that the black power ranger wears black armor and the Asian one wears yellow, huh?' and nodding smugly is. You're not actually SAYING anything, you're pointing at a thing, saying 'this is bad' and then holding your hands up for applause at your brilliant insight in our modern world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If "leftist" analysis is a requirement, perhaps it could be expanded beyond social liberalism-as-taught-by-the-Internet? A Stalinist analysis could really challenge the writers to get out of their comfort zone and into that exciting creative place where you're not sure exactly where you're going. The minority report can be a Troskyist review.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just saw highlander and it was definitely about gay sex.

Jewigi
Apr 20, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If "leftist" analysis is a requirement, perhaps it could be expanded beyond social liberalism-as-taught-by-the-Internet? A Stalinist analysis could really challenge the writers to get out of their comfort zone and into that exciting creative place where you're not sure exactly where you're going. The minority report can be a Troskyist review.

i'd like to see some pre-requisites before this happens:

-owns a fedora
-overweight
-owns Bitcoin account
-smells
-dropped out of community college
-lives at home

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello. I've read Current Releases for a few years now. Please, please, stop searching for symbolism or giving me your random unrelated opinions on feminism and race relations or whatever and just tell me if you enjoyed watching it or not. Did it feel badly paced? Was it original, or stale and overplayed? Nobody is looking for anything else on a movie reviews column.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Hello. I've read Current Releases for a few years now. Please, please, stop searching for symbolism or giving me your random unrelated opinions on feminism and race relations or whatever and just tell me if you enjoyed watching it or not. Did it feel badly paced? Was it original, or stale and overplayed? Nobody is looking for anything else on a movie reviews column.

This is where I'm at too. It has definitely become much worse recently.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is where I'm at too. It has definitely become much worse recently.

and its bad, too!

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Jewigi posted:

i'd like to see some pre-requisites before this happens:

-owns a fedora
-overweight
-owns Bitcoin account
-smells
-dropped out of community college
-lives at home

I'm imiaging some kind of nerd who does all this poo poo and its making me laugh out loud haha.

pat_b
Feb 14, 2009
Fallen Rib
Why can't we have reviews that are funny, instead of what we have now

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The people saying that Current Releases would have been an Awful Link of the Day back in the day may be right, but as of now, the majority of accounts registered in 2014 signed up to get access to the LP forum, specifically the Dangan Ronpa and Kill La Kill threads, and it is good, I think, that those people are tricked into reading a wall of text saying RAPE IS BAD one hundred times when clicking a movie review link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
It is fine to explore the themes, messages, and symbolism behind a movie if the movie merits this sort of exploration. The problems with Current Releases:

1. They focus on this stuff in every movie review, regardless of how simplistic or inherently childish the content of the film is, resulting in insanely embarrassing garbage like the Planes review.

2. Every review uses deconstructionism from the point of view of a humorless, hyper-sensitive identity politician with all of the pre-approved progressive opinions. When I posted the Planes review, one of you defended Current Releases by pointing out that Ian Maddison no longer writes for the column (because he was so humorless that the innocuous g0m review trolled him into quitting, lol forever), but the truth is that all of the reviewers are completely indistinguishable from each other. They all seem to get mad about the same perceived identity politics missteps regardless of the content of the movie they are reviewing; I honestly doubt they disagree about one single political position between them.

3. They are snarkily dismissive of any interesting film that doesn't have the correct progressive opinions, and will skip the reviewing process entirely in these cases (Gone Girl, Child of God, etc.). When called out on this, they'll defend themselves by saying, "You guys are always telling us we need to tell more jokes!" Unfortunately, no human being alive laughed at either of these reviews.

• Locked thread