Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I hate this kid so much.

Hey, Dragon Quest 6 wasn't That bad. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: I'm guessing the class doesn't affect stat gains either, it just gives you access to new skills and classes.

Also correct. Your stat gain is applied to your character with no class. Each class then hits it with a percentage bonus or penalty (plus sometimes an additive bonus for being a master of that class, to give you an excuse to hang around in it at 8 stars). But you're not losing any points overall by leveling in a class that is bad at a stat.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

What are the worst Dragon Quest games? Everyone has a worst Final Fantasy, but if you like DQ you tend to like the series as a whole.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What are the worst Dragon Quest games? Everyone has a worst Final Fantasy, but if you like DQ you tend to like the series as a whole.

1 and 2, but a lot of that is aging.

I'm going to have to go with 7 otherwise. I really want to like 7. I do. But god drat does it feel slow and awkward even compared to the other DQ games. (I understand DQ7 DS fixes some of my complaints and I would definitely play it if it was available - just because I think 7 is among the worst of the DQ games does not mean I don't like it more than I like a lot of games.)

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Finished DQ3 a bit ago, finally laying a piece of my childhood to rest.

Then came DQ1. Finally got that son of a bitch.

Kinda sorta working on DQ9. I haven't bothered with the rest of them yet.

I love remakes of old RPGs. They have the charm of old, but without the Godawful interfaces. Final Fantasy 1 is one of my absolute favorites.

I'm a fan of RPGs that let you customize your party. So DQ3, DQ9, and FF1 are on my awesome list.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Most people I know tend to say 2, but like Prism said, it's got a lot to do with age. 1 was just as clunky but shorter and doesn't have a brutal "gently caress you dungeon" from hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'd say 2. It has aged pretty bad and is not really that charming.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

1 and 2, but a lot of that is aging.

I'm going to have to go with 7 otherwise. I really want to like 7. I do. But god drat does it feel slow and awkward even compared to the other DQ games. (I understand DQ7 DS fixes some of my complaints and I would definitely play it if it was available - just because I think 7 is among the worst of the DQ games does not mean I don't like it more than I like a lot of games.)

I played I, II and III on the NES over the summer. I enjoyed I even though it was repetitive and grindy, but at least it wasn't random and spiteful like DW2 - that was genuinely obnoxious. III is brilliant but I got burned out after one chapter of IV.

That said, I've heard that the remakes (Famicom/GBA) of 2 are a lot less wretched and arbitrary, so looking forward to those some day.

Fake Edit: Since Final Fantasy was mentioned just above, I would like to say that III is a pile of wank. That is all.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Most people I know tend to say 2, but like Prism said, it's got a lot to do with age. 1 was just as clunky but shorter and doesn't have a brutal "gently caress you dungeon" from hell.

Let's say exempting 1-3 for hardware limitations.

I got into the series as an adult, and really have enjoyed 4. Aside from 7 perhaps, are any worse?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I got into the series as an adult, and really have enjoyed 4. Aside from 7 perhaps, are any worse?

Rhone was definitely not a result of hardware limitation. Neither is spamming defeat. :colbert: I still don't know how I beat that game but 100% remember beating it.

Otherwise, I like the series as a whole. Hard to not like any of them.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Well, 1-4 are all on the same hardware - originally anyway.

Each of them have some sort of weakness I guess, but there's not a single one I'd call bad. Some people don't like the separate chapters of 4, some don't like the monster recruiting of 5, some don't like the sheer length of 6-8, and some say 9 is too short. Also, while 7 is one of my favorites, even I have to admit it's a loving ugly game. It looks BAD.

3 and 8 seem to be the most universally liked, at least from what I've seen.

If I had to pick a worst out of the later ones, I'd definitely go with 9 since the characters are generic and drat, it's really short.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

5 through 8. :colbert: 8 actually wasn't so bad, moving the series into 3D was kind of neat. But once the novelty of that wore off and I had to deal with the actual game--

I can't believe all the people saying 2, though. 2 was great! It took the worst thing about 1, which was the lack of any real strategy during the fights, and fixed it by giving you multiple party members each with their own commands! 3 then improved on that by letting you build your own party and putting in stuff that wasn't strictly running around getting into fights. And then 4 built upon that by adding even more focus into that sort of side stuff. 4 did have the issue of starting to focus a bit more on the storytelling, which is where 5 built off of and messed everything up by focusing too much on telling a story and then the series just gradually just fell off a cliff in that direction.

Until 9! :woop:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I like DQ storytelling :colbert:

It's simple, fun and straightforward unlike a certain other JRPG series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fenrir posted:

It wasn't just the cave to Rhone, or the fact that Rhone itself was a giant :fuckoff: bullshit area where enemies could use sacrifice to guarantee your party wiped and even a boss could do this. The entire game is badly balanced and a goddamn slog. Forcing your way through Dragon Warrior 2 then immediately starting Dragon Warrior 3 is a night and day difference. Especially if you just go with a standard soldier/wizard/pilgrim group. Hell, even if you force your way through with something like a Pilgrim and 2 goof-offs (or soldier/pilgrim/goof) it still means that you're going to have a brutal poo poo wrecking crew once you hit level 20 if you want it whereas in DW3 the princess is still going to be a fragile thing that dies when a baboon gives her a nasty glance.

Hardware limitations aren't why DW2 was terrible. It being only slightly better balanced than FF2 is why it was terrible. Also apparently being useful must skip generations in Erdick's bloodline since all of the kings in DW2 are useless, but that's probably because they're over 30 which in JRPG years means they are old, frail, and useless.

DW3 is good, the SNES remake is excellent. DQ5 and 6 build upon DQ4 pretty well, with DQ6 getting back to class changing and giving you some pretty nice choices. DQ7 basically adds another level of everything to DQ6. The extra job tier was annoying as hell and when I first saw it I figured it must mean the game is long as gently caress. I was right. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I really did not like DQ9 aside from being able to pretty pretty princess my character, it just, eegh, never felt like the story was going anywhere, to me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
DQ7 is either the best or the worst, depending on whether or not you 1) get past the first two hours and 2) make sure to only stop shard hunting at logical points so you don't have to FAQ it up to figure out what you were just doing.

Guess how my first experience with it went? (But now I love it, since the second time I learned my lesson!)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The worst DQ's I find are 2 and 6. Worst being a stretch. 2 has aged but I still like some of the Wizardry influenced gameplay in some small sorta way. 6 feels a let down compared 5, and especially its class system predecessor 3. 7 improved on 6 in spades. You could say 1, but it's so basic that I find it hard to call it the worst since it set the template for so many games after it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's hard for me to use a word like "worst" to describe Dragon Quest but I think my least favorite was 9. It's a decent enough game but DQ8 is probably my favorite for how expansive it feels and moving to 9 on the small screen and back to that isometric-style view really didn't gel with me. It has been so long since I played 2 that I thought maybe my memories of how hard it was had more to do with my age at the time but from what you guys are describing I remember it perfectly.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The only thing I don't like about DQ6 is that the game seems to use a lot of tricks to get people lost or to just annoy the player. I get the impression I would probably have quit if I didn't have fast forward and could look up what to do next on the Internet.

Anyway I wish they made a DQ game that played like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEeKRFWG34&t=517s

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 6, 2014

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
So from all of this, I gather that DQ8 is worth a look? Cool, gonna do that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

blinking beacon nose posted:

DQ8 is probably my favorite one simply because they re-did the music for the US release. If you do get it don't bother with the "true" ending, the first one is way more romantic.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

blinking beacon nose posted:

For my money it's the best in the series, though not everyone will agree with that. It's basically what I pictured next generation RPGs to be like 20 years ago; the world is huge and expansive with tons of poo poo to explore, the game is long and involved and it's so, so pretty. I think it's best on PCSX2 if your computer can run it, but it's still a blast on PS2.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Levantine posted:

It's basically what I pictured next generation RPGs to be like 20 years ago; the world is huge and expansive with tons of poo poo to explore, the game is long and involved and it's so, so pretty.

:swoon: You just pushed all of the right buttons. This is how I felt about the future of RPGS at that time too. I'm going to give DQ8 a try just because you said this.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Fenrir posted:

Well, 1-4 are all on the same hardware - originally anyway.

Not that I'm going to say that this is why DQ2's end-game is the way it is, but NES games didn't all necessarily run on the same hardware. Games at the time, especially on the NES, frequently included additional hardware on the cartridge, such as the Memory Management Controllers that made games like Mega Man possible. Additionally, there are cartridge sizes to take into account: Dragon Quest IV is, after all, one of the largest NES cartridges in existence. This is a bit of a nitpick, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Edit: I just checked and it turns out that while DQIV was on a big cartridge (certainly bigger than, say, DQ1), there were bigger games. Kirby's Adventure is one of them.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Didn't the original Dragon Quest have a password system like Faxanadu? I heard it was even worse than Faxanadu's though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah, Dragon Quest III was the first to have battery saves.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, Dragon Quest III was the first to have battery saves.

:stare: That can't be right, can it? Did DQ3 happen before DW2 was sent stateside? I remember playing Dragon Warrior 2 and it had battery save because one day the data was corrupted and the music for "you put on a cursed item" went off and I got a save data corrupted message.

It also freaked me the gently caress out :gonk:, especially since the TV was loud at the time. I didn't play it for a month after that.

e: Yup. DQ3 was a year before DW1. Huh, never knew.

e2: Also: gently caress Faxanadu's PW system. The stateside font change was so messed up.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm sorry, I mean in Japan. The American versions always had battery saves I think.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure fake Mudo hacked my tactics. My characters suddenly stopped attacking or something during the fight and I had to go into the tactics menu to force them to follow orders.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm pretty sure fake Mudo hacked my tactics. My characters suddenly stopped attacking or something during the fight and I had to go into the tactics menu to force them to follow orders.

If he yells in (main character's) voice, he can in fact give them new tactics. You can switch it back at the beginning of your turn, but it does affect what they're doing this turn anyway. A couple other enemies can also do that.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DW1 was among the first games I got for my NES, on that wonderful Christmas morning in 1987 or 88, and although I have fond memories of it, it's hard to play now in its original incarnation. DW2 I saved up for and had to convince my parents to let me spend $50 on a video game, and even had to go to a larger area to find the game at all. Yeah, it was hard, but I still beat it along with Castlevania I and Ninja Gaiden I. Nostalgia colors my memories of these games, but I'll still defend DW2 as it's the only one whose music constantly pops up in my head. I played the Famicom remake last year and found a lot of the issues to be resolved anyway.

As for the weakest of the series, I'd say 9. I just have no desire to go back to it after finishing the single player, and nothing really stood out about it, at least to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQ9 used a multiplayer system I'd wanted in RPGs since the 90s though and if more RPGs would use that sort of system to allow multiplayer in a turn-based RPG. It mostly makes up for their unfunny translators trying to make everything a pun.

The post-game grotto stuff was asianmmogrind.txt garbage though. Beat the game, go to slime hill for a hundred hours to grind until you maybe can get better grotto maps, eventually try to hopefully maybe find one with metal kings so you can grind faster. Or get someone to trade you the locker map where one of the floors was only metal king encounters, which I did at PAX years ago, and find that you're now leveling so fast that instead of 200 hours of slime hill bullshit you've made the same progress in maybe 5 hours in that dungeon.

Then throw yourself at legacy bosses who eventually level so high that you're facing things that can wipe a completely maxxed out party if the RNG decides to throw out the boss's best aoes and nothing else that round.

Playing through the story was fun though. Only real downside is that if everyone in multiplayer actually ran around together you could get in fights almost non-stop because by the time everyone's out of battle enemies have spawned and probably run in to someone who couldn't react in time.

Himuro posted:

The worst DQ's I find are 2 and 6. Worst being a stretch. 2 has aged but I still like some of the Wizardry influenced gameplay in some small sorta way. 6 feels a let down compared 5, and especially its class system predecessor 3. 7 improved on 6 in spades. You could say 1, but it's so basic that I find it hard to call it the worst since it set the template for so many games after it.

DQ6 is the point where the series finally went "oh yeah, melee characters, we should probably let them do more than select 'fight' every round" and had proper 4 person parties unlike 5. DQ5 was decent but it gave you characters that were outright useless not that you'd want to use anything besides the main character and his kids, maybe your wife, as party members outside of a few niche situations. And before that you can grab a slime knight or two and moonwalk through the game until you have your final party members.

The only complaint to be made about DQ6's class system is that it broke the game's difficulty more than DQ3's did if you took the time to grind out classes on everyone. While DQ3 meant having soldiers and fighters with every pilgrim and wizard spell, DQ6 let you have every skill on every character if you really felt the need to go that far.

Both are better than DQ8, which just felt like a slog that tried to weigh you down and also began their trend of subtitles that remove any point in having the story reveal things. It'd be like relabeling The Usual Suspects to have a subtitle revealing who Keyzer is.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both are better than DQ8, which just felt like a slog that tried to weigh you down and also began their trend of subtitles that remove any point in having the story reveal things. It'd be like relabeling The Usual Suspects to have a subtitle revealing who Keyzer is.

Journey of the Cursed King is no more a spoiler for the story than Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. It "reveals" something that's in the opening movie and is properly revealed in the story like in the first area of the game. It's more like subtitling The Usual Suspects: Crime Happens. Not to mention DQ6 is far more a slog if you want to level classes than literally anything in DQ8. DQ8 at least gave a granular leveling system that allowed you to chart the course of a character within their talent trees rather than "Fight 750 battles to max out Hero" or something.

EDIT: Though I will grant the leveling system in DQ8 is also kind of easy to screw up if you don't know anything about it. You aren't given anything in game that lets you know what your points will get you so if you don't read up a bit beforehand, you can make mistakes.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The thing about DQ6 is I can fast forward through the slog. My guess is it's going to be awhile before I can do that with a PS2 game.

Still DQ8's system sounds better but I haven't actually played it yet.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The thing about DQ6 is I can fast forward through the slog. My guess is it's going to be awhile before I can do that with a PS2 game.

PCSX2 runs it fairly well if you have decent hardware. If you choose to go that route, fast forward works just fine.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Levantine posted:

PCSX2 runs it fairly well if you have decent hardware. If you choose to go that route, fast forward works just fine.

Oh sweet, I didn't know. :)

edit: Yeah, fast forward gives me the time to actually play a lot of RPGS.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 6, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh sweet, I didn't know. :)

TBH, it's the best way to run it if you can. The smoothing and such makes it looks just pristine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ9 used a multiplayer system I'd wanted in RPGs since the 90s though and if more RPGs would use that sort of system to allow multiplayer in a turn-based RPG. It mostly makes up for their unfunny translators trying to make everything a pun.

The post-game grotto stuff was asianmmogrind.txt garbage though. Beat the game, go to slime hill for a hundred hours to grind until you maybe can get better grotto maps, eventually try to hopefully maybe find one with metal kings so you can grind faster. Or get someone to trade you the locker map where one of the floors was only metal king encounters, which I did at PAX years ago, and find that you're now leveling so fast that instead of 200 hours of slime hill bullshit you've made the same progress in maybe 5 hours in that dungeon.

Then throw yourself at legacy bosses who eventually level so high that you're facing things that can wipe a completely maxxed out party if the RNG decides to throw out the boss's best aoes and nothing else that round.

Playing through the story was fun though. Only real downside is that if everyone in multiplayer actually ran around together you could get in fights almost non-stop because by the time everyone's out of battle enemies have spawned and probably run in to someone who couldn't react in time.

DQ6 is the point where the series finally went "oh yeah, melee characters, we should probably let them do more than select 'fight' every round" and had proper 4 person parties unlike 5. DQ5 was decent but it gave you characters that were outright useless not that you'd want to use anything besides the main character and his kids, maybe your wife, as party members outside of a few niche situations. And before that you can grab a slime knight or two and moonwalk through the game until you have your final party members.

The only complaint to be made about DQ6's class system is that it broke the game's difficulty more than DQ3's did if you took the time to grind out classes on everyone. While DQ3 meant having soldiers and fighters with every pilgrim and wizard spell, DQ6 let you have every skill on every character if you really felt the need to go that far.

A big reason I don't think V is the best DQ is because the gameplay. I steamrolled through most of the game on both the sfam and DS versions. I rarely tried. Was I doing it wrong? It was it the monsters I had in my party? The story is great, but the gameplay, unlike IV's, really doesn't match up to the narratives quality. As for VI, it was just a slog in places.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think DQ9 was pretty much the best incarnation of the whole class-based system of gameplay although I found the game world itself to be pretty bland and forgettable. Most DQ games seem to go for this kind of road trip, travel the world narrative and I don't think there's an installment that captures that better then 7.

I think 5 and 8 stand out as different because 5 introduced the whole monster companions gimmick and was more focused on the story of your particular family, and 8 had the full 3d world to explore and did the whole 'in hot pursuit' plot hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone's free copy of DW7 shipped out today! Look forward to it! Again, I got this from estarland a long, long time ago and the second disc has small scratches but it worked fine when I played it. i hope you don't mind.