Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Eater.com just published a list of team bars in a bunch of major cities. I'd recommend picking one (Green Bay's because I'm biased) and watching it with a crowd that's really into that game, instead of something where all 6 or so are on at the same time. That way, the bar's sound will be on the game, and when people hear you explain you heard (bar) was the place to see (team) to really experience American football in a British accent you'll have to grow 5 hands to hold all your free drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gambrinus posted:

Green Bay or Minnesota, or both (haven't checked the fixture list for that weekend yet.

If you specifically care about those two teams, try and find a Packers or Vikings bar in the area. I personally never do this because most Eagles fans are vile and insane but I've been to other team-specific bars and had a blast.

Although I wouldn't mention that you're also interested in the Vikings in the Packers bar or Packers in the Vikings bar.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What is the best way to look up stats based a very specific set of criteria?

For instance, there are a bunch or idiots blaming Cutler for the Bears loss to Green Bay, despite the Bears D never forcing a turnover or even a single punt. I want to look if there has EVER been a team to win while never forcing a punt or getting a takeaway. Pro football reference's team game finder is so drat close to what I need, but does not give me a way to search against number of punts. Are there any other go to methods for stat searching?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lt. Chips posted:

What is the best way to look up stats based a very specific set of criteria?

For instance, there are a bunch or idiots blaming Cutler for the Bears loss to Green Bay, despite the Bears D never forcing a turnover or even a single punt. I want to look if there has EVER been a team to win while never forcing a punt or getting a takeaway. Pro football reference's team game finder is so drat close to what I need, but does not give me a way to search against number of punts. Are there any other go to methods for stat searching?

I couldn't figure out an easy way. The only things I could think of is to match your list of team/game/turnovers against a list of player/game/punts to see if there are any games from the first list that don't have a match on the second list.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is there any rule against the H-type goal posts? I know that a handful have them, but I don't know if they're some sort of exception.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

NFL rules specify Y-shaped goals (I believe the Saints had to get an exception from the league office to play at Tiger Stadium). NCAA and Fed rules do not; as long as the crossbar's 10 feet high and the posts are the correct width and minimum height, you can use any safe construction.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neat. Guess that also explains Idaho and it's almost Arena style goal posts too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was even about to say "if you had a dome you could hang them from the ceiling!" and then went "meh, who plays in a dome anyway?"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Trin Tragula posted:

I was even about to say "if you had a dome you could hang them from the ceiling!" and then went "meh, who plays in a dome anyway?"

Bill Belicheck just started salivating

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Trin Tragula posted:

for reference

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

wheez the roux posted:

for reference

This seems a lot safer for the athletes. At the very least Canadian football should adopt it where possible since they put the goalposts right loving there at the start of the endzone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

This seems a lot safer for the athletes.

I suggest you look at a picture facing the other way

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Sash! posted:

I suggest you look at a picture facing the other way

Not really getting what you're trying to say here... why wouldn't it be safer? Unless you insist on dunking the ball over the goalpost and it falls on you, but hey, there're rules against that already

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dramatika posted:

Not really getting what you're trying to say here... why wouldn't it be safer? Unless you insist on dunking the ball over the goalpost and it falls on you, but hey, there're rules against that already

He's talking about the stadium in general, like, flip the camera around and see how much room there is from the back of the end zone to a wall.

The Kibbie Dome is fun in a dumb way but...not good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yeah, there's like...no space at all back there. Running into the post isn't a problem. The wall that's like seven feet from the backline is.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Sash! posted:

Yeah, there's like...no space at all back there. Running into the post isn't a problem. The wall that's like seven feet from the backline is.

Seven? Try like, 3.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hah, yeah, the Kibbie Dome does own

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am looking to move to Chicago, specifically Humboldt Park for the first couple of months. I know there are a ton of Michigan State alums in the area, so does anyone know a good bar to go to for their games?

Are there also any places dedicated to showing Lions games for all of the Michigan transplants? I know the NFL has its coverage rules, but I would guess there are places with Sunday Ticket or something to give them access.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Here's Eater's guide to the best Chicago bars to watch your team's game at. Looks like your weekends are at Grand River.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coco13 posted:

Here's Eater's guide to the best Chicago bars to watch your team's game at. Looks like your weekends are at Grand River.

Looks like a decent distance from where I'll initially staying, but that's just through November. I'll keep that in mind, at least for Lions games.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am looking to move to Chicago, specifically Humboldt Park for the first couple of months. I know there are a ton of Michigan State alums in the area, so does anyone know a good bar to go to for their games?

Are there also any places dedicated to showing Lions games for all of the Michigan transplants? I know the NFL has its coverage rules, but I would guess there are places with Sunday Ticket or something to give them access.

You can find a place easily. Lots of bars fly the flags of the teams they show during game days, so a glance around your neighborhood will help. also i will hang out w/ u

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol good luck, Chicago's a Northwestern town

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

R.D. Mangles posted:

[long, terrible pause echoing down the dim melancholy halls of history] nah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Gameday in Evanston was cute.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

football fuckerman posted:

[long, terrible pause echoing down the dim melancholy halls of history] nah

All the best prospects in every sport from Chicago go to like, Ohio State.

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I think this is probably the best thread to ask this.

Why is this a probation?

Jim Harbaugh posted:

he plays for the aints, not against them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Because stupid nicknames for teams is dumb and shouldn't be encouraged

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Because stupid nicknames for teams is dumb and shouldn't be encouraged

That's pretty clearly a typo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Ain'ts" was a pretty common nickname for the Saints for most of their existence, so it's easy to make the assumption that it's intentional.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I was rewatching last week's Baylor/TCU game, and near the end of the game Baylor gets called for a substitution infraction for having 12 players on the field when TCU's getting ready to punt. Then I saw the replay and the player who wasn't supposed to be on the field trying to sprint from his spot near the visitor's sideline all the way back to his own and I got curious - would it have been legal for him to just go onto TCU's sideline for a play instead, or was having to run the width of the field his only choice there?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd imagine you have to go back to your own sideline, but the rules thread will probably answer this better than I can.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine you have to go back to your own sideline, but the rules thread will probably answer this better than I can.

Oh, drat. Missed it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Probably irrelevant to the pro game with direct headset communication to the QB but with "stealing signs" coming up a few times recently in the college game, I was wondering if anyone puts any real work into designing the signals teams use to call plays from the sidelines. The tradeoff between comprehensibility and security seems like a question for professionals but I can totally imagine coaching staffs just passing down whatever systems they learned when they played with just minor variations and no one involved has any real knowledge of cryptography. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to get a grad student to cook up something sensible but does anyone actually do that?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Probably irrelevant to the pro game with direct headset communication to the QB but with "stealing signs" coming up a few times recently in the college game, I was wondering if anyone puts any real work into designing the signals teams use to call plays from the sidelines. The tradeoff between comprehensibility and security seems like a question for professionals but I can totally imagine coaching staffs just passing down whatever systems they learned when they played with just minor variations and no one involved has any real knowledge of cryptography. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to get a grad student to cook up something sensible but does anyone actually do that?

You mean like the famous Oregon play signs?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, we use those too, just wondering how sound they are in cryptographic terms or if everyone is just counting on the fact that no one on the other sideline is trying any harder than they are.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah, we use those too, just wondering how sound they are in cryptographic terms or if everyone is just counting on the fact that no one on the other sideline is trying any harder than they are.

Encoding signals so that your team understands them and the other team doesn't is as old as the game itself, and stealing the opponents signals is equally old. They obviously have to be changed occasionally as players and coaches move around.

Generally, they don't have to be perfect, just ambiguous enough that the opponents don't have time to decode them and react to them before the next play.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oregon's system was (is?) legitimately loving weird.

quote:

The whistle sounds. The offensive line hustles to the new line of scrimmage. The officials scramble to keep up. Ducks quarterback Darron Thomas stares at the sideline, where Haines holds a placard. Oregon's receivers stare, too.

It turns out pictures of sharks and ESPN broadcaster Scott Van Pelt aren't the only thing they're glancing at.

Another headset-wearing backup quarterback, usually Bryan Bennett, stands in a peculiar pose, holding it for a few seconds. Meanwhile, a man who appears to be an assistant coach -- but curiously does not resemble any of the assistants on Oregon's team website -- wears brightly colored wristbands and makes quick series of hand signals.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My favourite thing about of one of the most memorable games I've ever seen:

(They didn't.)

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Quick question, when receivers line up outside, they often look and point to the sideline. I always assumed that it was them just checking with the refs on the sidelines that they lined up onside. Is there a reason for that behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

turbomoose posted:

Quick question, when receivers line up outside, they often look and point to the sideline. I always assumed that it was them just checking with the refs on the sidelines that they lined up onside. Is there a reason for that behavior?

They're checking to see if they're lined up on the line or not, you need to have seven on the line to avoid an illegal formation penalty with the guys who are on the outside being eligible receivers. Sometimes you'll see a tight end go in motion, step up and wave the receiver to his outside to back up a step for the same reason.

I'd imagine the whole thing started because you don't have a tackle right next to you to line up on, so it just becomes a rote thing you do every play to make sure you're in the right place.

• Locked thread