Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This has surfaced on ARG as the BA tuner's effect:

If you control a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster, destroy this card. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Burning Abyss" monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard for a Synchro Summon: Draw 1 card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "(name), Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" per turn, and only once that turn.
● If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
● If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am really liking the BA dynamic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yikes, that's incredibly good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The scary thing is the implication that there's going to be more than one BA Synchro.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

As a Noble Knight player, I'm incredibly salty about Burning Abyss.

I've probably said it before, but the new stuff we're getting had better be hella good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This has surfaced on ARG as the BA tuner's effect:

If you control a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster, destroy this card. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Burning Abyss" monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard for a Synchro Summon: Draw 1 card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "(name), Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" per turn, and only once that turn.
● If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
● If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon it.

:what:

You Noble players are salty? I'm a Naturia player. My archetype's been around for like 5 years and it's never gotten anything this good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

:what:

You Noble players are salty? I'm a Naturia player. My archetype's been around for like 5 years and it's never gotten anything this good.

At least you have a pair of Synchro monsters that are staple in any deck that can pop them out.

Cherries aren't bad either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's true.

And they gave me Glow Up Bulb back which is pretty :love:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Does Sacred Tree help Naturia out at all? I really don't know anything about the archetype except for Cherries and the Synchros.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

Does Sacred Tree help Naturia out at all? I really don't know anything about the archetype except for Cherries and the Synchros.

Yes-ish. It's a Continuous Trap, so it's slow by nature, but being able to trade a plant to grab an insect or vice-versa has its utilities. You can grab Cherries during the opponent's turn, for example and all of Naturia's tuners are Insect or Plant, so that's beneficial. And you can do some funny stuff like use Magic Planter to get some nice advantage out of it.

It'd be a lot, LOT better if it could grab Cliff, but oh well.

I honestly think it has a lot more utility for Traptrix. I've been meaning to try a Naturia Traptrix build, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well Gongenzaka keeps getting the best animation and draw quality.

I like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well Gongenzaka keeps getting the best animation and draw quality.

I like that.

I haven't seen the episode yet but i'm pretty sure that's because Gongenzaka is the best.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm watching Cardfight Vanguard (I'm at episode 35), and I've got to say it has something Arc-V doesn't: the possibility of actual tension. The fact that the protagonist is not guaranteed to pull a victory out of his rear end makes the whole thing more interesting.
I've heard that these variations from well used formulas are rare in animes: is that true?

e: and yes, Gongenzaka is by far the best.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 2, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I haven't watched many card game anime beyond Yu-Gi-Oh!, but the only series I can remember where the main protagonist still loses deep into the series is the first Battle Spirits, Battle Spirits Shounen Toppa Bashin. In fact, in that series card games aren't...that world-bendingly significant, if I remember correctly. No grand fates decided by a card game, no life and death based on the draws of a card, no...motor bike duels. I can't think of a third thing. Shounen Toppa Bashin also skipped the first few turns for a few duels, which I don't think is ever replicated even in Cardfight Vanguard.

To be fair, I dropped Cardfight Vanguard because I can't handle Kai, so maybe they also did it in Vanguard.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That effect for the burning abyss tuner was just a faker rumor going around. No one knows what it does yet

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm watching Cardfight Vanguard (I'm at episode 35), and I've got to say it has something Arc-V doesn't: the possibility of actual tension. The fact that the protagonist is not guaranteed to pull a victory out of his rear end makes the whole thing more interesting.

This was one of my favourite parts of Vanguard as well. It's still true as of Legion Mate, only now it is actually irritating instead of interesting, because they use it in the worst possible way. I think there was only one surprising outcome that actually made me happy in LM, and I can guess those who are that far can guess which it is.

toanoradian posted:

Shounen Toppa Bashin also skipped the first few turns for a few duels, which I don't think is ever replicated even in Cardfight Vanguard.

To be fair, I dropped Cardfight Vanguard because I can't handle Kai, so maybe they also did it in Vanguard.

This is completely true for Vanguard. They constantly do that now, it's annoying. I want to watch card games, stop skipping card games!

Also not handling Kai is not enough of an excuse to not watch the first three seasons of Vanguard (because, seriously, he's a non-entity in Asia Circuit and only important in Link Joker by the middle-end, and he's at his most interesting there). Only the first season and Legion Mate have a truly important Kai during the entire season, and the former is still very much centered on Aichi. The latter is centered on Kai, what with being the main character, but it is also really bad, so I can't recommend it.

Also, for the other topic of conversation, the man Gongenzaka is indeed the best. And it was really cool to see him and Yuya do the Action Duel chant.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Season 2 was really bad about skipping (and everything else), but mostly they just sort of gloss over what's going on. In the first season they made a big production of everything because it was new. Now they just sort of gloss over the first couple of turns. They obviously cheap out on the animation or use static shots, and just have people say "I ride (card) and attack" and they show damage falling into the damage zone. It's enough that you know what's going on, but by this point we know how the first few turns go, and while knowing how they went matters, we don't need to watch the full song and dance.

Of course, that's assuming nobody fucks up. I've caught some animation errors in the past, and the translators sometimes cock up what the characters are saying, and I know they did it because what they said and what just happened do not match.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wait, when has Yuzu ever rear end-pulled? She's only had two duels.

:haw:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Do you guys like Tellarknights? How about Gem-Knights? How about Constellars?

SURPRISE! Now you can get them all rolled up into one insane monster!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Constellarknight_Diamond

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

Do you guys like Tellarknights? How about Gem-Knights? How about Constellars?

SURPRISE! Now you can get them all rolled up into one insane monster!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Constellarknight_Diamond

I legitimately have no idea why this was even made since Shock Master is still a thing in the OCG. It wrecks Burning Abyss, locks Shadolls and it would absolutely shift the current TCG meta but luckily the TCG won't be seeing this card for like another 6 months. It also counters DDs because gently caress you for trying to play an interesting archetype instead of rank 4 spam.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought the current season of Vanguard seemed awfully short, and it seemed like they were getting to the season's final boss awful fast. It looks like that's because it is awful short, and the season is ending. The first three seasons lasted long enough to get three booster sets each, this one is only getting three (plus a movie). I'm basing this on the fact that we've already seen announcements for the new set, which is going to abandon the old numbering apparently? Instead of being BT-18, it's G Booster Set 1: Generation Stride, with support for Royal Paladin, Kagero, Oracle Think Tank, and Nova Grappler, plus introducing the new clan Gear Chronicle. It's also going to have the new mechanic Stride, which we knew about thanks to Harmonics Messiah, but "it exists" is all we knew. It looks like it comes down to "pitch a total of three grades of cards (a three, three ones, or a two and a one) to temporarily power up your vanguard." There's a bit more to it than that, of course, but that's why I linked it. I have also heard that the new trial decks now include two Perfect Guards each, to which I say: loving finally, since "get four PGs" is honestly one of the biggest hurdles to getting a good solid deck. A few decks back they also stopped using 6k vanilla G0s for starters, which they should have done a while ago, because arguments can be made for not using four PGs (they are stupid and wrong arguments, but they exist), whereas there is nothing to gain by not using a starter with Forerunner unless you're doing a ride chain or something, the point is that you don't use the vanilla G0s as starters.

Anyway, bringing this back to the anime, since this is the thread for the thinly veiled commercials and not the products themselves, the four returning clans in Generation Stride are the original clans of the four protagonists from the first season: Aichi's Royals, Kai's Kagero, Misaki's Oracle Think Tank, and Kamui's Nova Grapplers. This may signal their return, although events in the movie may rule that out. However, if you look at the art from the Royal Paladin trial deck, you see that that isn't Aichi. What I am hoping happens, then, is that Aichi goes away, Kai takes on sort of a mentor role, Misaki and Kamui get their main character credit back, and the new Royal kid and whoever the kid is on the Gear Chronicle trial deck wind up the new main characters.

Actually, no, what I really want is a season where Aichi fucks off to college and his sister Emi takes over the Cardfight Club with her friend Mai who switched to Megacolony, so maybe we could get some main character level support for other clans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay, changing the main character! Finally. Aichi's arc was really over once Link Joker ended, and while you can make an argument for Kai needing Legion Mate as redemption (and the season itself loves to point it out), it's been such a boring season I'd rather not have it. Even moreso if G is an entirely new universe and we don't get the good parts of Legion Mate back (the Quatre Knights, Serra excluded, are actually good characters)

Talking about that, do we know if G will be an entirely new verse, or pull a GX and switch casts while still being on the same universe with important ties to the previous series? I don't want to fully say goodbye to everyone, but at the same time I'll accept it if it means new things. Again, Aichi deserves the break.

I have to wonder about your point, MechaCrash. We might just have new characters for the Clans. After all, we have a new Royal Paladin user in Shion Kiba. Oddly enough, the other friend of our new main Chrono Shindou, Tokoha Anjou, uses Neo Nectar, which isn't one of the clans in the new booster pack. I wonder if it means we'll get more Neo Nectar later or she'll just get ignored. Vanguard isn't nearly as bad with female characters, so I sure hope not.

Also Chrono looks loving pissed in his artwork. I expect someone very different from shy nice guy Aichi, or stoic atoner Kai.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The page for Vanguard G states that Kamui and Misaki are coming back, so we've got them confirmed, at least. We're also getting Shin (the manager) and Kouji Ibuki (the Link Joker guy with the Deletors from the movie).

Neo Nectar is getting a trial deck too, or so I have heard, so hopefully she doesn't get tossed aside. Vanguard is way better about letting the girls do things than a lot of other shows involving shounen goonery I could name (and will, god dammit Gundam Build Fighters why'd you have to treat Aila like that), but I still don't think it did right by Misaki either. A friend I described the show to pointed out that there were thematic links between the characters and their favored clans, with Aichi believing in his friends, and Kamui being hotheaded and ready for a fight, and Misaki attaining victory through planning and skill. The wheels started coming off of that with Scarlet Witch Coco, whose thing is "draw cards draw cards draw cards I DIDN'T SAY STOP DRAWING CARDS DAMMIT," and then over to Genesis, which...doesn't really have much to do with who she is. Hopefully she goes back to OTT and the new girl gets some main character love.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did they confirm if Suiko is in this one? She's pretty much my favorite character just because she got away with so much poo poo she shouldn't have.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 5, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Head Writer will be Kiyoko Yoshimura, and, well, lets just take a look at her credits
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=68904

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Head Writer will be Kiyoko Yoshimura, and, well, lets just take a look at her credits
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=68904

I misread Gravion as Gravitation and was ready for some overly homosexual card games.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
I does this mean we'll get more Dimension Robos? More Obari designed cards please~!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

I misread Gravion as Gravitation and was ready for some overly homosexual card games.

I'm not entirely sure why you needed to misread something to expect that. This is Vanguard, the series where the main character's implied gay crush on his rival is pointed out in-series as early as episode 2.

And only gets more blatant as the first season goes on, gets toned down in Asia Circuit due to Kai being demoted to secondary, and picks up hard for late Link Joker and especially Legion Mate.

Talking about Legion Mate, I'm so glad Legion Mate is over. Only the epilogue next week remains, then apparently a week with no Vanguard, then GX. Even the last fight was bad and holy poo poo that ending was deus ex machina incarnate and contradicted season 1 and 2 hard. It's as if the writers looked at Asia Circuit and said "we can do even worse", and succeeded beyond expectations. At least Asia Circuit's ending was fulfilling, this is only enjoyable in a "thank god it's over" way.

Blaster Blade cuts the Seed...appearing in the human world physically, something neither he nor any unit had the ability to before, apart from those that appeared from the Link Joker ring. Then the Seed fragments enter everyone, and this will make Cray accept Link Joker as a clan instead of invaders...despite how only people with Psyqualia can affect Cray, something we've been told repeatedly in season 1 and Asia Circuit. Not to mention, Kai can see, hear, and interact with Blaster Blade, despite having no Psyqualia himself (this has been a problem since LM1, though, not just now, it only got worse now).
I get the point is to make Link Joker a normal clan so they can sell cards without having to make another arc entirely around them (two arcs and a movie is kind of enough), but there's no need to plot hole quite this hard for it.
And that last fight just felt like it was parodying itself at some level. Kai calls Final Turn despite having no way whatsoever to actually win without several lucky draws, manages to draw his third Dragonic Overlord, Legions, then gets not two, but FOUR Critical Triggers in a row. It's like they decided that Kai absolutely needed to win in the exact way he's won every fight ever and nobody enjoyed watching, through sheer luck that we're told is skill and MATES. And, of course, he had to do the full chant every time he rode and Legioned Overlord. One time is awesome (I'm a sucker for chants), two is silly, three is ridiculous. Thank god he didn't need to do it a fourth time, I'd break out laughing.

Also at least one person in Youtube is already whining about Vanguard G and how Vanguard is ruined and this only makes me want it even more. The opening helps, too...which has been apparently deleted by the person who uploaded it, lame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not entirely sure why you needed to misread something to expect that. This is Vanguard, the series where the main character's implied gay crush on his rival is pointed out in-series as early as episode 2.

This was why I misread Gravion as Gravitation. I was laughing to myself about how they finally made the subtext text.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's some interesting info about Vanguard G already. For instance, this image, showing our current main cast:

Kamui's looking good, though I don't like Misaki's new design. It makes her look too old. Also, Aichi and Kai are confirmed to come back (as if this was any surprise), though their redesigns are being kept secret.

There's also this:

"Chrono is a protagonist who “lost his parents at an early age and relies on his own power,” while Shion is “both the class clown and a cool young man, educated in fencing.” Tokoha meanwhile is “a true Tokyoite girl with a graceful appearance.” Chrono uses the never-before-seen clan Gear Chronicle, which brings together the destinies of these three towards an “impossible future, an impossible self signifying ‘Generation.’”"

Seems we'll have a rather different dynamic than Aichi/Kai and thank god for that, the worst thing for any series is getting stale. I'm kind of sad the Ibuki redesign isn't here though, but we'll see it sooner or later.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Blaze Dragon posted:

Chrono uses the never-before-seen clan Gear Chronicle, which brings together the destinies of these three towards an “impossible future, an impossible self signifying ‘Generation.’”"

I have no idea what this means.

Also, Chrono's hair is really close to the level of ridiculousness of Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonists.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nah I think Its on a level beyond.
At least the yugioh haurs can be summed up as The worlds Craziest and most intricate anime highlights in the world.

This is straight up anime hair magic.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The issue with the "self signifying Generation" is what kind of "generation." It doesn't mean as in "generations of people," it's as in "what a generator does." The Stride stuff has had its FAQ added, which explains a bit more about what it is and how it works. I do still want to know what happens if you Stride over a Crossride, but I am guessing you do not get the extra +2k from that. You are copying the card's name and power, but not its text, and the text is why they get 13k power anyway. But the important question that got answered is what happens when you Stride over a Legioned VG, and the answer is "pick one of your VGs and that's the one you count as Striding over, at the end of turn the Stride unit fucks back off to wherever and everything stays Legioned."

There is still something called a "G-Assist Step," which I think is supposed to help if you get gradestuck, but that's all I know about it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Arc-V owns, qtiyd

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

VJeff posted:

Arc-V owns, qtiyd

The rumours I heard is that episode 28 to 30 will star one-episode duels starring Ayu, Yuzu and Gongenzaka. If this turns out to be true, I'm down.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

VJeff posted:

Arc-V owns, qtiyd

Pretty sure that Futoshi will be dueling in the next episode. Definitely down for this. His voice actress/actor sounds like they're having the time of their life voicing him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.ygorganization.com/tribeforceleaks/#more-8108

More YGO OCG leaks, the most relevant? Necloth Catastor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha Manju is getting reprinted. Necloth Catastor actually doesn't look that good when compared to Clausolas which will probably be the core of the deck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just watched the second part of the Gongenzaka duel and holy poo poo it fixed all of my problems with Arc-V and I hope every duel from now on is like this. Breaking free from Yuya's constant "I set the Pendulum Scale with Magician of Astromancy and Chronomancy PENDULUM SUMMON (bunch of monsters) AND ODD-EYES" and showing actual skill in continuously using Pendulum effects of monsters that aren't the Magicians, including a double Fusion that'd make Judai proud...this is what I want to see. Every duel should have this much creativity and passion.

Also Gongenzaka is basically the best, always. I really liked how he pointed out he wasn't betraying his school, but rather evolving their style, as otherwise they'll get stuck behind the rest of the world.

I'm also really interested in whatever Reiji's playing at. Finding "spears" to fight alongside him, including Yuya and Sora; making the LDS trio forget about Shun...the plot gets better by the minute. Hopefully this'll also mean more Reiji in the future, since Reiji's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I realise there's only so much one person can come up with but Astromancy -> Chronomancy -> here's a bunch of poo poo was getting way old. It's like how in the latter days of 5Ds every Jack duel opened with Vice Dragon -> Dark Resonator -> Red Dragon Archfiend.

I still shout at my DS when my Jack AI partner has the chance to do that and then doesn't do it in Over the Nexus

• Locked thread