Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

George Perez has Crazy Eyes. And were all these pictures taken around the same time? Roy Thomas (as noted) looks like he's come to visit from the past.

I don't think so. I remember Perez looking a lot larger than that in 1992. And that looks like it might have been Roy Thomas when he was editor-in-chief of Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

prefect posted:

George Perez has Crazy Eyes. And were all these pictures taken around the same time? Roy Thomas (as noted) looks like he's come to visit from the past.

No. They were taken from lots of different sources/times. The Bob Kane card uses an image that has to be from the fifties or earlier:

My guess is that they just went with images that they could get as cheaply and easily as possible.

And it was apparently hard to get Todd to show up and NOT be shirtless at that time. When he "debated" Peter David in 1993, he decided it was a good idea to do that bare chested:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, he got confused. He didn't know the fans bought tickets to the con, not the gun show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

I'm guessing Capcom did a collective spit-take when they saw this comic.

Sort of like with Malibu's take on Street Figher, one imagines.

funtax posted:

BEHOLD! The magnificent Topless McFarlane in its native habitat:

I wonder if that was the headshot McFarlane sent in when he auditioned for Duncan MacLeod?

Meanwhile, Roy Thomas looks sort of like either John Denver or one of the four guys who played keyboards in Toto.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there enough material in these stories about licensed comics and the licensors for a thread?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Is there enough material in these stories about licensed comics and the licensors for a thread?

I would say so.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Going back to the Brazilian Mega Man comic, holy poo poo that might be some of the worst art outside of bad webcomics I've EVER seen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Going back to the Brazilian Mega Man comic, holy poo poo that might be some of the worst art outside of bad webcomics I've EVER seen.

When somebody make the thread, I'm going to let you know about a little comic called WWF Krozor. Without hyperbole, it is without a doubt the worst comic I have ever read.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

You're one digit off. When Kennedy's administration mandated that all SAC nukes be protected from unauthorized or accidental arming, LeMay (the SAC commander) ordered that all of them be set to 00000000.

Naturally, this has since been changed. The new PAL codes are alpha-numeric and are 8-12 digits combined with sensors (so a bomb or MIRV can deactivate itself if someone tries the Hollywood staple of hotwiring it to blow in place).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2014

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

OldTennisCourt posted:

It still cracks me up that the main reason Penders lost control of the comic was that the suits at Sega saw a cover with Sonic :qq: over a marriage invitation on it and realized "Holy poo poo what has been going on in these comics?" and basically told Archie to get their poo poo together or lose the license.

...and the funny thing is that this wasn't the first time they mentioned a wedding on the cover.

(no this wasn't the cover that made Sega get heated. In that one Sally was gonna marry Shadow.)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

It's the "The world's most way past cool comic!" subtitle that makes this.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There is not a single way that the UK Sonic The Comic does not blow the poo poo out of the American version. Not a single way.

We had goddamn *Decap Attack* storylines going regularly. We had Mutant League Football. We had Mark Millar on Streets of Rage. I can feel your jealousy already.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nilbop posted:

We had Mutant League Football

Wait, what? :stare: are you talking about the game I think you're talking about?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nilbop posted:

There is not a single way that the UK Sonic The Comic does not blow the poo poo out of the American version. Not a single way.

We had goddamn *Decap Attack* storylines going regularly. We had Mutant League Football. We had Mark Millar on Streets of Rage. I can feel your jealousy already.

Don't forget Eternal Champions.

Sonic the Comic #19

Man, now I'm feeling nostalgic for the Mutant League animated series.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, what? :stare: are you talking about the game I think you're talking about?
Yes he is.

Sonic the [UK] Comic #32

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Why do almost all the British comics I've seen have this weird skuzzy look to them

Were they just printed on incredibly lovely paper, or was it part of the style to feel garish and grimy and covered in lint? Some sort of Thatcherian zeitgeist?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

funtax posted:

BEHOLD! The magnificent Topless McFarlane in its native habitat:

From the "Famous Comic Book Creators" card set, circa 1992.

George Perez is terrifying.

"Hey Todd, what did you want to do for your photo? Most are doing a simple profile pic or kind of an 'action' shot of them at a desk... shirtless playing baseball? Sure, whatever."

Also great :gas: alternative:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nilbop posted:

STC was my favourite comic growing up, and I still have a lot of affection for it. There were a lot of really cool ideas in that comic.

Gavok posted:

Have you seen the Eternal Champions poster mag Fleetway they did? It had character profiles which listed each character's greatest fear, except they went out of their way to try and link their greatest fear to the manner of their death. It was fine for Shadow, whose fear was heights because she was thrown out of a skyscraper, or Xavier's fear of fire because he was burned at the stake, but then you got Trident, who had "an unusual fear of pillars" because he was crushed by a pillar. Larcen also had "an unusual dislike of tagliatelle" because he was killed on the orders of his boss, Mr Tagliani.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Why do almost all the British comics I've seen have this weird skuzzy look to them

They're mostly done on newsprint.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 6, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

http://optikblast.tumblr.com/post/61130489136/http-society6-com-jameszark-alan-moore-as-bolland

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

http://boingboing.net/2014/10/06/the-16-cartoonists-who-change.html

I really wish they'd drawn Stan Lee to look like Stan Lee, with the glasses and mustache and so on. :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

He looks just like Stan Lee :colbert:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

funtax posted:

And it was apparently hard to get Todd to show up and NOT be shirtless at that time. When he "debated" Peter David in 1993, he decided it was a good idea to do that bare chested:

Among other things.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Among other things.

So this shirtless stage started before or after he raked in the Spawn money?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Were they just printed on incredibly lovely paper, or was it part of the style to feel garish and grimy and covered in lint? Some sort of Thatcherian zeitgeist?

They want them to look like every BBC show ever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

"Violence is the sanctuary of the brainless and the barbarian."

*Whacks a dude on the head with his staff three panels later*

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

CapnAndy posted:

"Violence is the sanctuary of the brainless and the barbarian."

*Whacks a dude on the head with his staff three panels later*

That's the joke, yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Decap was the best non-Sonic strip by far. I didn't start reading until after the point where it was the last one left, but when I went back and re-read the back issues, they were easily the strongest.

Which isn't to say the other stuff was bad by any means, of course.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

From a great tumblr full of comic/game mashups: http://insertquarterbin.tumblr.com/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

techknight posted:

From a great tumblr full of comic/game mashups: http://insertquarterbin.tumblr.com/

Is that parodizing the same comic that Shooter wrote and drew when he was like five years old or something?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

zoux posted:

Is that parodizing the same comic that Shooter wrote and drew when he was like five years old or something?

It's a parody of the first appearance of the Legion of Superheroes in Adventure Comics #247. That particular issue is by Otto Binder and Al Plastino.

Some years later, beginning with Adventure Comics #346, a 14-year old Jim Shooter began writing and doing stick-figure layouts for the Legion features, which he would do for a number of years.

So you were almost right. Kind of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's the source of one of many, many homages I didn't get until much, much later. I first encountered it here:

Are there any really comprehensive online archives for homage covers?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

Are there any really comprehensive online archives for homage covers?

Not comprehensive, but CBR has been trying to find an homage cover in every week's new comic releases. They're on week 105 of an unbroken streak now.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/09/22/the-great-comic-book-cover-homage-streak-archive/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I posted all the Marceline And The Scream Queens album homage covers about a million pages back. There was a big discussion of homage covers that started around here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505073&pagenumber=128&perpage=40#post420225207

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Judge Dread frowns upon your confessions of love, Citizen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Injustice Year 3 issue 2

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bobkatt013 posted:

Injustice Year 3 issue 2

OK, that's Batman, Detective Chimp, and Constantine. Who's the driver?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

CzarChasm posted:

OK, that's Batman, Detective Chimp, and Constantine. Who's the driver?

Chaz.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shia laBoeuf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Why would those other guys let an actual cannibal drive?

• Locked thread