Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I don't even see that many katanas. Greatswords look to be far more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

It's so trivial too in PVP to just gently caress everyone's day over with a katana I don't know why that didn't get hit at all. You don't even have to try. When I powerstanced them I did 95% of a dude's health in one attack, then lobbed a throwing knife to finish him off.

They've also got a lot of phantom reach for some odd reason. Dunno why it's just them but they also got that going for them and welp.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Katanas are not overpowered and anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

IMO 400 AR and 150 counter w/ very little stat investment is pretty good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

One to two shot kills on most things in pve, great reach and damage and tracking and counter damage and personally a pretty good win record with them in pvp, I don't know man.

quote:

Greatswords look to be far more common.

Greatswords are also pretty good and a lot of fun to use. My Dark Claymore does the damage of three to four dark orbs when I have Dark Weapon on. My Dark Roaring Halberd just gets stupid. dark dark dark

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Read posted:

IMO 400 AR and 150 counter w/ very little stat investment is pretty good.

Lances have that and more and you don't see people complaining about them. They're not even that slow.

RBA Starblade posted:

One shot kills on most things in pve, great reach and damage and tracking and counter damage and personally a pretty good win record with them in pvp, I don't know man.

I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying they're not overpowered. OP is something like pre-nerf MLGS.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Things I don't like and complain about every third post:
-Katanas
-Heavy armor
-Magic (not as bad as it used to be)

Things I also dislike but don't talk about much:
-Jesters is bullshit, Tutle armor should weigh double what it does, Gowers should stick to you if it breaks and only be removable by a blacksmith and the ghost should be hot pink and loving the character using it in the rear end

Genocyber posted:

Lances have that and more and you don't see people complaining about them. They're not even that slow.

I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying they're not overpowered. OP is something like pre-nerf MLGS.

Whaaaat

Lances are slow as balls, don't have 170 degree tracking on their attacks, don't have nearly the same phantom range, and don't have the absurd running attack. The two aren't even comparable.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 6, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
power stanced curved greatswords are the best weapons in the game with the most powerful r1 + l1 combo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

I don't see that many lances online that aren't the great lance which is also pretty good. I've lost track of how many times Sir Hanzo of Steel killed me from three katana-lengths away (and I bet a lot of my kills look the same to the other player).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Only things I'd agree with are about Jester's and Ironclad, and only because it makes punishing Estus impossible.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How about if Gowers broke after one hit (to the back) but only weighed 3 or something. You'd still have shitpiles running around with a dozen in their inventory but at least they have to pony up to keep going with that bullshit.

I don't miss the backstab fiesta of DS1 but I do think the pendulum swung too far the other way.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 6, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

cheetah7071 posted:

Getting to the DLC finally (a little bit late), and wow the Fume Knight is lazy design. I really hate bosses that completely change what they do at HP thresholds, in any game--if you want two completely different bosses, just make two completely different bosses. I've learned the first phase well enough that I could take down an entire HP bar of it with a few tries, but instantly die every time I enter the second phase because it's impossible to practice, being halfway through a tricky boss.

Lazy is probably the worst possible term to use when it's a boss that's about double the work to make than what you suggest it should be.

I also disagree heavily, because you can practice a boss while it's in-progress, it just requires more reflexes than memorization, and a boss that shakes things up halfway through is more fun than one that stays the same throughout.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Lazy is probably the worst possible term to use when it's a boss that's about double the work to make than what you suggest it should be.

I also disagree heavily, because you can practice a boss while it's in-progress, it just requires more reflexes than memorization, and a boss that shakes things up halfway through is more fun than one that stays the same throughout.

You could get the same variety by just having two bosses though, without having the problem of making phase 2 much much harder to practice for.

Also I'm not really sure why people think phase 2 is easier to dodge, though I'm still actively learning it. Phase 1 is almost ludicrously easy once you apply Artorias tactics (rolls backwards through melee attacks, positions yourself to bait a gap closer, roll forward and punish gap closers). Phase 2 has the pain in the rear end fireballs, the sweep so slow that I'm still physically inside the sword when my invincibility frames run out, and the attack that hits you when you're behind him so punishing is harder than it seems.

I'm not saying phase 2 is unfairly difficult or even poorly designed on its own merits, I'm just confused why people think it's easier. Then again the consensus is that super Ornstein is easier than super Smough and I've never understood that either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Part of the challenge of it is that it's not two bosses. Either splitting the fume knight into two bosses fought at once or two bosses fought one after another would defeat the point of him having two forms. Giving him just the one form would have been serviceable sure but he has a lot of health and if he didn't change it up the fight would get boring.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cheetah7071 posted:

Phase 2 has the pain in the rear end fireballs, the sweep so slow that I'm still physically inside the sword when my invincibility frames run out, and the attack that hits you when you're behind him so punishing is harder than it seems.
I usually roll through the slow sweep just fine. What's your agility? The fireballs don't hit that often as long as you start backing away as soon as he starts the move.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

I usually roll through the slow sweep just fine. What's your agility? The fireballs don't hit that often as long as you start backing away as soon as he starts the move.

Still base, so I'm willing to accept that that attack being hard to dodge is my own drat fault.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

cheetah7071 posted:

Still base, so I'm willing to accept that that attack being hard to dodge is my own drat fault.
Oh wow, yeah I think most people here tend to have the 100 or 105 breakpoint; maybe even higher.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The second form is much easier to dodge than the first since it doesn't combo nearly as much and some of Fume's attacks are a lot slower. He becomes much simpler to deal with once he buffs himself and loses his second sword. You could probably just walk away from his slow sweep and be perfectly fine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

That attack is really hard to pass with base AGL. I'm not a fan of AGL for that reason, better to have fixed frames like in the previous two as dumping into some stat to be able to use a critical feature of the game like you should is bad and makes building fair enemies harder. If you move away the sword will pass through you faster and you'll have a chance, you have to roll into it of course. If you're too close kind of roll diagonally forward into his arms at about 30°.

The fireballs have the AOE first then actual balls that spiral out. You can walk between the balls once you know their pattern. You probably already know this.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I just got impaled by one of those rampart golems, but that didn't kill me... It was him throwing me off the fuckin' wall that did that :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's a shame we can't get any of their weapons' special moves. They all look rad.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I honestly dont see why more people don't use the pike, It's fast, has huge stunlock ability, and has a range closer to a bow than a sword. Yet I have not once seen anyone use it but me.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

How did people feel about the second DLC? I'm playing through the DLC for the first time and uh, it feels like it's the same 3 enemies and just never ends.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Studio posted:

How did people feel about the second DLC? I'm playing through the DLC for the first time and uh, it feels like it's the same 3 enemies and just never ends.

Lots of people think the second DLC is the best (personally I like the last DLC the most but I can see why people would enjoy the second the most).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the second DLC was the best, but mostly for the atmosphere and bosses. Everything else wasn't anything particularly special, though there were a few cool gimmicks here and there, and I liked the part where turning on the furnace opened up a bunch of new paths.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Second DLC had the best bosses, 3rd had the best level and 1st had the best tree.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Iretep posted:

Second DLC had the best bosses, 3rd had the best level and 1st had the best tree.

I haven't fought the 3rd yet, but the other two felt kind of... the same. relatively easy early phase, then spooky last phase where attacks have more range and do more damage.

Also Smelter Demon is still... Smelter Demon.

Studio fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 6, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

It's a shame we can't get any of their weapons' special moves. They all look rad.

You should be able to trade one of the cats' souls to Straid for their homing crystal soul spear.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is it possible to give another player your Sun Sword? I know you aren't allowed to drop certain items in multiplayer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gear is OK, except for crowns.

Souls are not OK to drop. This includes the souls that would create the gear that you can then drop.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Third sold it purely on the merits of the mirrah hat.

Yarrr :pirate:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Someone here suggested using the simpletons ring here last time I was whining about fume knight, worked wonders.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally getting back into some loving :darksouls: after too long away, LOVING the DLC so far.

Bone fist. Oh my god yes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Getting to the DLC finally (a little bit late), and wow the Fume Knight is lazy design. I really hate bosses that completely change what they do at HP thresholds, in any game--if you want two completely different bosses, just make two completely different bosses. I've learned the first phase well enough that I could take down an entire HP bar of it with a few tries, but instantly die every time I enter the second phase because it's impossible to practice, being halfway through a tricky boss.

But half the challenge for Dark Souls or older games of its ilk like Castlevania or Megaman was always the challenge of learning the boss, having to get through the whole difficult level just to fight the boss.

We all know that feeling where you just barely die to the boss and you think if you could just try again, you'd have him down since you're practiced with him, but you rush through the level to get to him and by the time you get back you've forgotten what it was you learned, and you make the same mistake and die again.

Dark Souls 2 was a little too liberal with the bonfires, we have bonfires directly before half the bosses which takes away from that challenge of learning the fights. I actually like having bosses with multiple phases. :shrug:

Git gud scrub :smug:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The bonefist is awesome, I'm loving it as an offhand since you can parry with it and use it for flying kicks along side my rapier... really feeling this pirate gimmick. If I was a filthy subhuman hacker I'd swap the moveset onto the work hook to complete the illusion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cheetah7071 posted:

I would have a bigger problem with the Fume transformation if it didn't actually make him slower on the attacks.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I actually belong to the two or so people who find his powered up moveset harder than the initial one. But it's a fun fight whether he powers up soon, late or never.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im the same way since I was just starting my love of big weapons when I first fought him. Up to that point it was Homunculus mace +9 because I just wanted to speed through the game.

That quick side slash was the bane of me.
In fact all those defensive attacks that bosses have are the bane of me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Time to start playing this again, I think. Never made it past Mirror Knight at launch time, and never seen any of the DLC.

Is all the DLC post-game or should I have it ready in advance or something?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ciaphas posted:

Time to start playing this again, I think. Never made it past Mirror Knight at launch time, and never seen any of the DLC.

It's late game. One you'll access via a monument after the Rotten, the second one is behind Iron King, and the third one is at the Shrine of Winter. People usually suggest playing it after you've beaten the game but before moving into NG+. At the very least you should have upgraded weapons before starting any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Ciaphas posted:

The first DLC can be accessed in the Primal bonfire room in Black Gulch, another one is at the end of Iron Keep and the final one is in the Shrine of Winter.
It's endgame content difficulty-wise but you can enter it as soon as you gain access to it if you feel comfortable going in. Iron King DLC also requires the Ashen Mist Heart for one fight.
As does a couple of extra lines of dialogue. Eventually also the reward for clearing all three DLCs.