Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

blinking beacon nose posted:

Here's how we're supposed to take off our shirts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_L9XcdgY0

Mind blown.

hahaha He's trolling his subscribers now, right?

"Boom!" Yes, indeed you will "impress your lady" when you pull your shirt off one-handed to expose your pale hairless doughy torso. Boom! is the sound of her panties dropping to the floor.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Karma Monkey posted:

hahaha He's trolling his subscribers now, right?

"Boom!" Yes, indeed you will "impress your lady" when you pull your shirt off one-handed to expose your pale hairless doughy torso. Boom! is the sound of her panties dropping to the floor.

Probably. It is really hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHuIWSIMNQ

Ever wanted to make a stand for your cellphone? Just use a cassette tape holder! You know, those things that you actually still have lying around.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarousBertha posted:

Or just don't buy onions by the pallet.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10180999&whse=BD_115&topnav=bd

But look at the savings! How could you not buy that many onions?

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10180999&whse=BD_115&topnav=bd

I... have. If only I'd had more pantyhose in the attic we wouldn't have an onion patch in the backyard.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

Mind blown.

Finally! Now I can save literally seconds over the course of my lifetime using this one weird trick

Seriously, why is the first method he demonstrates not good enough?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

:aaa:

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

PROBLEM: I am not intellectually capable of doing what is depicted in my head.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Mt. ORourke posted:

Finally! Now I can save literally seconds over the course of my lifetime using this one weird trick

Seriously, why is the first method he demonstrates not good enough?

Because then his youtube channel has no reason to exist,

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to get them out. Also, that's a lot of onions.

I could go through that easily in a month. I love onions

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
That multiplication trick doesn't actually work. :ssh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

karl fungus posted:

That multiplication trick doesn't actually work. :ssh:
Sure it does.

(100 - x) * (100 - y) = 10,000 - 100(x+y) + xy.

But it's only particularly functional for multiplying two numbers in the span of 91-100, so.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

It works with other numbers, you just need to some more adding. But at that point, you'd probably need to write it down anyways, so just do it the normal way. Or like, use the calculator on your phone.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Strudel Man posted:

Sure it does.

(100 - x) * (100 - y) = 10,000 - 100(x+y) + xy.

But it's only particularly functional for multiplying two numbers in the span of 91-100, so.

I cannot find any set of numbers that it doesn't work for, but as cowboythreespeech said, it becomes increasingly less easy to do in my head.

Also your formula pretty much proves it works for any number.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'll just do it the old-fashioned way: with my cell phone.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Picnic Princess posted:

I'll just do it the old-fashioned way: with my cell phone.

I have a TI-83 emulator on my cellphone :smug: . And a slide rule on my wrist, but the TI-83 is much easier to use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you see seven lines intersecting five, are you really going to (mis)count all the points or are you going to suddenly remember that 7×5 = 35 and skip that bullshit? At that point it’s the same thing you were taught in grade school (multiply each digit while keeping the places straight and sum), except showy and slow.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Thought I was in the bitcoin thread looking at pictures of horrible mining rigs again.

That first one appears to be under the raised floor in a datacenter :stare:

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Sitting on top of a pile of garbage

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

http://imgur.com/gallery/L9qL6 posted:

I'm pretty sure this would work, but I'd be constantly freaking out about breaking the now-exposed CD tray and an otherwise functional CD drive.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Mind blown.

Watching this video just made me think how cumbersome and slow he was putting on the shirt. I guess that's a hack for another day.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

jonsicoli posted:

I'm pretty sure this would work, but I'd be constantly freaking out about breaking the now-exposed CD tray and an otherwise functional CD drive.

Most of the CD drives I've used tended to retract themselves suddenly and without warning if you left them open for longer then about 20 seconds.

I wonder how much that phone is worth?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I propose a different solution: Put the loving phone on the giant, clean, clutter-free desk directly beneath the USB port.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

CJacobs posted:

I propose a different solution: Put the loving phone on the giant, clean, clutter-free desk directly beneath the USB port.

What if I spill my Gamer Fuel on it? :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty sure that stuff is made out of gasoline so the most that'll happen is you'll get a NEW lifehack to tell the internet about.

edit: Oh, GAMER fuel. Yeah, still gasoline.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wanamingo posted:

I buy this whenever we bulk shop at Costco and manage to use it all before it goes bad.

I use a lot of onions in my cooking.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I don't get how keeping your ice cream in a ziplock bag is supposed to keep it soft.

From a couple of pages back, but this actually does work. Kept a tub of ice cream in a plastic grocery bag in our freezer for a couple of days, was soft enough to scoop easily. Guessing the air trapped between the plastic and the tub insulates it enough to prevent it freezing totally solid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sir_Substance posted:

Most of the CD drives I've used tended to retract themselves suddenly and without warning if you left them open for longer then about 20 seconds.

I wonder how much that phone is worth?

Haha, my PC's sensitivity is totally borked and I have to hold the drive open if I want to load or unload a disc correctly, making this extra bad. Sometimes I think it's haunted and deliberately trying to eat my hand.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

Haha, my PC's sensitivity is totally borked and I have to hold the drive open if I want to load or unload a disc correctly, making this extra bad. Sometimes I think it's haunted and deliberately trying to eat my hand.

You're good unless it says "INSERT DICK TO CONTINUE." Ghosts are pesky fuckers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You're good unless it says "INSERT DICK TO CONTINUE." Ghosts are pesky fuckers.

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Mind blown.

Now I'm just imagining Putin whipping off his shirt in the middle of meetings.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

From a couple of pages back, but this actually does work. Kept a tub of ice cream in a plastic grocery bag in our freezer for a couple of days, was soft enough to scoop easily. Guessing the air trapped between the plastic and the tub insulates it enough to prevent it freezing totally solid.

If that bag is in your freezer for a couple of days, the bag, the air, and all of the ice cream is going to be same temperature as everything else in your freezer.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
If you say so, as I said it was just a guess. It worked though, regardless of how.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Zemyla posted:

Now I'm just imagining Putin whipping off his shirt in the middle of meetings.

Pretty sure Putin does this. There are probably press photos of him doing exactly that somewhere on the internet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

If you say so, as I said it was just a guess. It worked though, regardless of how.

Did it though? As with the teaspoon in the champagne bottle supposedly retaining the fizz (it doesn't, champagne stays fizzy for a remarkably long time anyway), it's entirely possible this is just an artefact of confirmation bias. The only way to be sure one way or the other would be to buy two identical tubs of ice cream, put them both in the freezer, one in a bag, and see if they behaved any differently.

(that being said I think the in-a-bag thing does actually work, IIRC the reason is to do with the amount of air which can get to the ice cream, but I might just be making that up)

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

(that being said I think the in-a-bag thing does actually work, IIRC the reason is to do with the amount of air which can get to the ice cream, but I might just be making that up)

Air is an amzing insulator and as long as it isn't mixing with the freezer air, it'll definitely stay warmer a lot longer. It's like wearing a wind breaker on a cold day.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I don't enjoy swimming much, but I do like salad, that's why this gives me the :barf:
http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/10/06/quickly-dry-swimwear-using-cheap-salad-spinner

quote:

Quickly Dry Your Swimwear Using a Cheap Salad Spinner
By Lifehacker on 06 Oct 2014 at 8:00PM
Wet swimwear is just plain bothersome. Perhaps you don't want it dripping or leaving a wet spot in your car. Or maybe you need to put a cold, wet swimsuit back on for another swim. If you need a quick way to dry your swimsuit, try a salad spinner.

File this under things I can't believe I never thought of before. I dealt with my kids' wet swimwear all summer and now really wish I'd bought a cheap salad spinner just to keep in my car. I'm pretty sure I could pick one up for next to nothing at one of the pound shops around town. Ah well. Next summer, I guess.

I had thought that LifeHacker was much less menatal that many other sites, but I may have to reconsider.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I don't enjoy swimming much, but I do like salad, that's why this gives me the :barf:
http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/10/06/quickly-dry-swimwear-using-cheap-salad-spinner

I had thought that LifeHacker was much less menatal that many other sites, but I may have to reconsider.

My gym has motorized version of this on the wall next to the entrance to the pool. As long as you don't also use it for salad......

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Door Frame posted:

My gym has motorized version of this on the wall next to the entrance to the pool. As long as you don't also use it for salad......

How does that work? Are they contained inside their own little room or are you expected to remove your swimming wear and towel up right next to the pool???

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pandaK posted:

How does that work? Are they contained inside their own little room or are you expected to remove your swimming wear and towel up right next to the pool???

You do it on your way out, after changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The way he worded it also made me think "swimsuit drying machine is situated right next to where you get into or out of the pool."