Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

Plays with "white, sexually available" women? Seriously? For the record, most demographic groups are fairly evenly split on the issue of choice and it does not have much to do with how "sexually available" they are.

"Sexually available," meaning, mostly, non-married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want abortion to be available as an option are anti-life is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants women to have the option about their own bodies, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

Once again...

quote:

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want lives to be saved are anti-choice is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants child murder to be banned, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

You're just repeating a party line and it reads like bullshit when I can plug in the other sides words and have it come off all the same.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 5, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fulchrum posted:

And even though one side is dealing with reality and the other isn't, we need to compromise.

I never said anything about compromise. Just that specific messaging works because it's targeting a specific side. Preaching to the choir.

Lycus posted:

I think someone once posted another graph showing support for abortion rights in the youngest adult age group has been dropping relatively quickly. It's just not following the same trends as same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization.

Dead baby pictures are a powerful motivator.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

Dead baby pictures are a powerful motivator.

Do they motivate white, urban or inner-ring suburban, college-educated, non-homeowning, non-married women?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Let me look into my extensive polling data. *pries open asscheeks*

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

Let me look into my extensive polling data. *pries open asscheeks*

Just do a pull from facebook/twitter to save on expenses

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree the revolution was in Pelosi laying the groundwork. Obama was the first Democratic Presidential campaign to use the available technology with a semblance of best-practices. 2012 saw the merger of VAN and NGP for improved modeling, in addition to an extreme incorporation of meta-data into the models.

Rove's innovation was doing it on the cheap with direct mailings.

E:

We knew in '09 that '10 was hosed for us. How could we not? Things turned out precisely as the consultant report that Rahm ordered said they would.

Again, this is untrue. Pelosi did not 'lay the groundwork' for anything. If anything, it was Harold Ickes and the founding of Catalist. VoteBuilder became standard after the DNC contracted with VAN to create new voterfile software, which they then forced every state committee to adopt. VoteBuilder, however, is just an easy way to segment lists of voters. Catalist (and other data firms that have emerged since 2006) create value-added databases that integrate with VAN so campaigns can make better targeting decisions for voter outreach.

NGP and VAN's merger did not improve modeling. Anyone who has used these two pieces of software knows that they have nothing to do with the quality of modeling. In fact, even though the same company now creates both VoteBuilder and NGP, they still barely talk to each other because VAN is a terrible company.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Again, this is untrue. Pelosi did not 'lay the groundwork' for anything. If anything, it was Harold Ickes and the founding of Catalist. VoteBuilder became standard after the DNC contracted with VAN to create new voterfile software, which they then forced every state committee to adopt. VoteBuilder, however, is just an easy way to segment lists of voters. Catalist (and other data firms that have emerged since 2006) create value-added databases that integrate with VAN so campaigns can make better targeting decisions for voter outreach.

NGP and VAN's merger did not improve modeling. Anyone who has used these two pieces of software knows that they have nothing to do with the quality of modeling. In fact, even though the same company now creates both VoteBuilder and NGP, they still barely talk to each other because VAN is a terrible company.

I'm solidly familiar with the NGP side of things and finance databases. I can't speak for VAN and its brand of shittyness.

From what I was seeing, Pelosi standardized central party financing and set some informal ground rules for best-practices.

You can use your NGP database for modeling and targeted advertising. It ain't integrated, and thats why you hire me.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 5, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

My Imaginary GF posted:

Just do a pull from facebook/twitter to save on expenses

Great, Facebook deleted my profile just for asking to get the email addresses of all of the white, sexually available women in order to get their opinions about a photo. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm solidly familiar with the NGP side of things and finance databases. I can't speak for VAN and its brand of shittyness.

From what I was seeing, Pelosi standardized central party financing and set some informal ground rules for best-practices.

You can use your NGP database for modeling and targeted advertising. It ain't integrated, and thats why you hire me.

Not to be a dick, but if a consultant told me we should target "white, sexually available women," or suggested I "do a pull from Facebook/twitter" to make any sort of informed opinion about the public, or used NGP as their database for modeling or targeting, I would fire them. I wouldn't even hesitate.

Edit: For the record, when I said "not to be a dick" I actually intended to be a dick.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why? That white, sexually available women demographic is large and swingy. It should be targeted.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

Abortion is actually the most controversial issue and the one that's been constant for about 40 years:

It'll probably be the last one to go.

It's always amazing to see the statistically significant spike in 2009-2010 on basically every single issue. Like, the GOP messaging machine was somehow so effective at smearing Obama that they also temporarily hypnotized a bunch of people into also believing that climate change is made up, abortion should be restricted, and evolution was directed by God.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Not to be a dick, but if a consultant told me we should target "white, sexually available women," or suggested I "do a pull from Facebook/twitter" to make any sort of informed opinion about the public, or used NGP as their database for modeling or targeting, I would fire them. I wouldn't even hesitate.

Edit: For the record, when I said "not to be a dick" I actually intended to be a dick.

You don't put it in those terms. You do use facebook timeline search to find the issues most relevant to your donor base and use them to inform the precise minimum and maximum ask you make.

How about a more specific example: say you want to find where best to concentrate your field efforts to file a lawsuit that halts progress on a major pipeline. You take the finance database for the organization, merge it with their field database, dedupe, dedupe, dedupe, you geolocate all individuals, you dedupe, dedupe, dedupe, you use USGS' data to find whose property it goes through, you identify watersheds at greatest environmental risk, and then you pull the highest likelyhood for someone willing to file suit under specific conditions which cannot be outright dismissed with the least expensive community organizing possibilities nearby and you've got a federal delay of pipeline approval.

That's what I do for lobbying, put it nice and visual, show the exact money of the issue, calculate the precise value of votes, and make a deal.

E:

Cliff Racer posted:

Why? That white, sexually available women demographic is large and swingy. It should be targeted.

Now you're thinking like a Senator!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's what I do for lobbying, put it nice and visual, show the exact money of the issue, calculate the precise value of votes, and make a deal.

Don't forget the massive kickbacks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's always amazing to see the statistically significant spike in 2009-2010 on basically every single issue. Like, the GOP messaging machine was somehow so effective at smearing Obama that they also temporarily hypnotized a bunch of people into also believing that climate change is made up, abortion should be restricted, and evolution was directed by God.

Evolution being directed by god is both the position of the catholic church and inherently opposed to young earth creationism, you realize?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThirdPartyView posted:

Don't forget the massive kickbacks!

That comes in when you have lunch with a Jr. Partner at Goldman and discuss the latest trends he's been seeing in the financial market ohandwouldyouliketomakeacontribution thank you (by the way, there was a legal brief on this being prepared using X Y Z data and estimated A project delay time by B regulatory agency while C judge with D and E points of most effective influence is most likely to hear the case).

Oh, your cute baby daughter's family trust fund would like to wire a contribution directly into a bank account? Sure, use this routing # and that account # and make sure she signs this disclosure form, or makes an X along this line, and we're done here buuutttttt as long as the bank is picking up the tab lets have two more rounds and bullshit some.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Game Changing new Bloomberg Politics site has launched and they've Doubled Down in their first big analysis piece to tell us that Jeb Bush.... might run for President, might not.

quote:

Here’s the reality, distilled from over a dozen discussions with those who know Bush really well: Jeb himself still hasn't decided.

There is no doubt that Bush is significantly closer to running for President than he was four years ago. He isn’t showing some leg to sell books or raise his speaking fees. He isn’t worried about the mechanics of the race, such as who might be his New Hampshire campaign manager, or how best to deal with straw polls. His decision-making process is less about consultation than, as is typical for the former Florida governor, about introspection. Jeb Bush is grappling with the hardest of questions: Is he the right person to bring the Republican Party toward the center and govern a country that has proven stubbornly difficult to lead? In other words, is this, finally, his time?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jeb Bush: Certainly probably competitive in California.

quote:

Finally, the most macro significant question for any Republican putting him or herself forward to beat Clinton is this: what states can you win that Romney lost? For Bush, the easy answer includes Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Virginia. If he runs a strong campaign, Bush could perhaps compete in California and possibly New Jersey and Michigan.

Oddly, they left Illinois off the list. Must be a typo.

e: lol

quote:

Speaker John Boehner tried hard to get Bush in the race last time, putting on extra pressure in February of 2012, when Romney appeared in danger of losing to, or being politically crippled by, Rick Santorum.
Was Boehner really trying to get Bush to declare in February 2012? That's insane.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jeb Bush: Certainly probably competitive in California.

Oddly, they left Illinois off the list. Must be a typo.

e: lol

Was Boehner really trying to get Bush to declare in February 2012? That's insane.

I'm shocked that Pennsylvania is nowhere to be found on that list.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

John Boehner: Political Mastermind

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Early enough to see that Romney was doomed, late enough to be powerless to affect it. :getin:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Evolution being directed by god is both the position of the catholic church and inherently opposed to young earth creationism, you realize?

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I'm remarking on polls like this one http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx that show a significant swing from the "sit on the fence" position to the inherently opposed right-wing evangelical one.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I'm remarking on polls like this one http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx that show a significant swing from the "sit on the fence" position to the inherently opposed right-wing evangelical one.

The graph barely shows a swing at all. You're looking at noise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Directed by god isn't a "sit on the fence" position dude. Sitting on the fence would be something like "god directed evolution but it still happened in less than 100,000 years" or something like that - believing in a billions years old earth where god's intervention was mostly limited to putting in souls is extremely far from "god did it in 4000 BC!".

There also isn't any significant swing involved.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm shocked that Pennsylvania is nowhere to be found on that list.

That and Minnesota seem to be the only ones missing. Republicans had occasionally hoped for movement in Oregon and Maine's 2nd too, if I remember correctly.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

That and Minnesota seem to be the only ones missing.

Maybe I should've finished my coffee before reading, but what? MN isn't competitive for the Republicans, see 1984_Electoral_College_Map.jpg.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George W. Bush was able to push the margin close enough in MN in both 2000 and 2004 that it gave the GOP hope they could turn it into a purple state. It is for them what, say, Georgia is for the Democrats.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mutar posted:

Maybe I should've finished my coffee before reading, but what? MN isn't competitive for the Republicans, see 1984_Electoral_College_Map.jpg.

Forget it Jake, it's Halperintown.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Mutar posted:

Never doubt the Nordic magnetism of Walter Mondale.

So who will be the first user to adopt the user name RAHMentum?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

So who will be the first user to adopt the user name RAHMentum?

Is this one of those times where everyone says "not it" and the person who's slowest on the draw gets stuck with it?

Because not it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If someone can get Rahm Emanuel to tell Wolf Blitzer that he has RAHMentum! I will gladly change my username to that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Cliff Racer posted:

Once again...
You're just repeating a party line and it reads like bullshit when I can plug in the other sides words and have it come off all the same.

No, he's right. Equating anti-choice and pro-life was definitely a rhetorical victory, and one that doesn't accurately reflect reality, intentionally so. There are plenty of pro-choice people who are also pro-life (it was a victory on that side that they weren't attached to the pro-abortion label, as well!).

A teetotaler and a prohibitionist are not the same thing (though plenty of people were both). It's perfectly possible to support a right to choose (from a practical perspective, if nothing else) while believing that choosing abortion is the wrong choice - many people adopt just that position. The current rhetoric from the right wing, however, effectively locks these people out, forcing them to side with those who are in support of abortion prohibition or to be cast as the enemies of the side that is "pro-life".

Much easier to make something part of your identity that way too.

It was an undeniable conservative rhetorical victory to get that labeling widely embraced.

A more accurate label would cast them as abortion prohibitionists, since that's the case they argue, but that battle is long lost.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 6, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:lol: the thread hit the triple jackpot on the bad ideas slots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Um how much of the forum do you actually end up reading?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Admittedly when I see a string of posters I don't care for I scroll til I see an avatar of someone worth reading. I only have one D&D poster on ignore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ignore isn't that useful; it needs a feature for also hiding people who respond to trolls.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ufarn posted:

Ignore isn't that useful; it needs a feature for also hiding people who respond to trolls.

It's useful in that even though fishmech constantly changes his name I am still able to identify his posts and ignore them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Um how much of the forum do you actually end up reading?

A good amount of it, some threads/forums just have more shitposting than others, and it just so happens the shitposts cluster together pretty frequently.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: the thread hit the triple jackpot on the bad ideas slots.

cool story bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Really, the true value of the "trolls" lies in their ability to out the shrillest, least fun people on the forum. I'm more apt to block people who do nothing but kvetch than the magnificent scions of TobleroneTriangular :allears:

• Locked thread