Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

For what its worth all the radial saws around here are craftsmans going for quite a price in the midwest.

Is there a general opinion on ideal compound miter saw size? I'm mostly going to be doing smaller projects so I don't see a good reason to go with a 12" inch beastly dewalt vs a 10 inch or even the 8.5" makitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sylink posted:

For what its worth all the radial saws around here are craftsmans going for quite a price in the midwest.

Is there a general opinion on ideal compound miter saw size? I'm mostly going to be doing smaller projects so I don't see a good reason to go with a 12" inch beastly dewalt vs a 10 inch or even the 8.5" makitas.

I wouldn't go smaller than 10". People seem to like most all the big brands these days, Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, etc.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sylink posted:

A 10" slider is a nice size. A 10" that doesn't slide won't be able to make a 45 degree cut in a 2x6.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
12" sliding from Harbor Freight

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I should start buying these up, haha. There's an identical Delta 12" RAS for $200 to mine, a half dozen Delta/Craftsman/Dewalt for ~$100 and I know where another MMB is for $50.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
If anyone wants to come pick up my early 60s Craftsman RAS they can have it for free. No stand and a lovely blade but it's got a new Mr. Sawdust table I built for it.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I like my 12" ridgid slider. I use the extra capacity more than I thought I would. If I had to move it much I think a 10" would be better; mine with its stand weighs about 130 lbs

dyne fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 6, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm in the market for a tilecutter, but I'm seeing them priced anywhere from $40 to $600. What's a good price point for a half-decent tilecutter? And what brands are good for a guy like me who's just doing the occasional re-tile?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought one for 65 euros and it's what we used to put up tiles in the kitchen and sauna, works well. After I'm done with the tiling for sure I'm thinking of turning it into a plate sander.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I'm in the market for a tilecutter, but I'm seeing them priced anywhere from $40 to $600. What's a good price point for a half-decent tilecutter? And what brands are good for a guy like me who's just doing the occasional re-tile?

Usually this depends on A) what your tolerance for bad cuts are, most tile jobs it's really no biggie to toss a few tiles you screwed up on but if you are working with expensive stuff a bad cut could be a $20-100 mistake. Some tile jobs it'd be hard to notice and easy to cover up mistakes, others you'll end up regretting every single mediocre cut you make. It all depends on what you are doing. B) what's your tolerance for making a huge loving mess is. They will all make a mess, some of them will leak like crazy.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anubis posted:

Usually this depends on A) what your tolerance for bad cuts are, most tile jobs it's really no biggie to toss a few tiles you screwed up on but if you are working with expensive stuff a bad cut could be a $20-100 mistake. Some tile jobs it'd be hard to notice and easy to cover up mistakes, others you'll end up regretting every single mediocre cut you make. It all depends on what you are doing. B) what's your tolerance for making a huge loving mess is. They will all make a mess, some of them will leak like crazy.
I was looking at something along the lines of this kind of tile cutter. They seem to be less messy and compact, but there are so many of these that vary in price significantly.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I bought one for 65 euros and it's what we used to put up tiles in the kitchen and sauna, works well. After I'm done with the tiling for sure I'm thinking of turning it into a plate sander.
Any chance that you could provide a link to the one you've bought? Because 65 Euros isn't too bad of a price, and if it works I won't argue with that price!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 6, 2014

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

melon cat posted:

I was looking at something along the lines of this kind of tile cutter. They seem to be less messy and compact, but there are so many of these that vary in price significantly.

Any chance that you could provide a link to the one you've bought? Because 65 Euros isn't too bad of a price, and if it works I won't argue with that price!

I have one of those manual ones and used it for some ceramic tiles, some 4"x6" tiles, and 12x12 sheets of small tiles in a hexagon/square pattern. It worked just fine for both of those - the limiting factor on that job was definitely my lack of skill with tiling. It requires something that breaks cleanly, I'm not sure how well it would do with a natural stone that had any sort of grain to it.

There's absolutely no mess though, which is always nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

melon cat posted:

The machine called Nutool BT180, I do not think you have it in the states, you'd basically have to look for something equivalent

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

captainblastum posted:

I'm not sure how well it would do with a natural stone that had any sort of grain to it.

I cut some really wild-grained marble tiles with a tile saw a few weeks ago, and it was hard enough to keep them in one piece with that. I wouldn't even want to think about using a scoring tool.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I ordered that benchdog router table and it was supposed to be delivered today via Amazon.

Now the tracking package shows it coming to my state from Indiana, then going back to Indiana and marked as delivered/left at the dock.

:wtf: :ohdear:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Probably the best place to ask about snow removal?

I'm looking at snow removal options and am debating snow blower vs ATV & plow. I'm looking at houses wayyy up in the mountains of Colorado and some have pretty long and/or steep driveways. At some length it seems like the blower is just too much more difficult and slow and it's worth going the ATV route, anyone have any thoughts on what that cutoff would be from experience?

For example one place I'm looking at has a 150ft driveway that gets pretty steep in one spot, it seems like that case would still be manageable in the winter with a higher end large snow blower, maybe tracked or just with chains on tires. My hunch is that anything beyond 200ft or so and it would probably be worth it to just blow $5K or whatever on a used 4WD ATV with a plow.

Could also rely on neighbors in some places, but some houses are pretty remote and I'd be on my own to deal with the driveway on my own.

Most of the people who live in these areas go with ATV + plow, but they tend to have ATVs for fun or hunting anyway so it's not the only consideration. I don't really care about either of those other ATV benefits and am just interested in having a useable driveway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Most of the people who live in these areas go with ATV + plow, but they tend to have ATVs for fun or hunting anyway so it's not the only consideration. I don't really care about either of those other ATV benefits and am just interested in having a useable driveway.

You will change your mind on the fun thing but anyway. I've never used a snow blower but I used an ATV/plow when I lived in Alaska. The ATV is fun year around but takes up twice the space, snow blowers are cheaper.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Just get these and put them on your daily driver:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Rode ATVs for fun when I was young, wayyy over that phase. More into less powered/polluting forms of having fun outside nowadays. They are only slightly less loving obnoxious than jetskis and snowmobiles so that's a plus if you're into them I guess!

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

It depends on the specific situation. If there's lots of space to push snow off to the sides, then a plow is fine, and faster than blowing. But keep in mind that you can't stack snow very high with a plow, so if you get a lot of it, you'll need to enlist somebody with a loader to move piles around eventually (the snow will be too crusty to touch with a blower at that point). So if you don't have space, like a long tree-lined driveway or a hilly yard, a blower is the best bet. There are a lot of options there too, from walk-behind for very small areas to garden tractor to compact utility tractor and on up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Clearly the most awesome option is an ATV with a blower attachment.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Also kinda fun in the snow

(Not at all cost effective)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Rode ATVs for fun when I was young, wayyy over that phase. More into less powered/polluting forms of having fun outside nowadays. They are only slightly less loving obnoxious than jetskis and snowmobiles so that's a plus if you're into them I guess!

If you think those things are obnoxious then forget about snowblowers, this might be more your speed.

snowblowers are exceptionally obnoxious

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wormil posted:

If you think those things are obnoxious then forget about snowblowers, this might be more your speed.

snowblowers are exceptionally obnoxious

Snow Blowers are amazing. Especially the ones that you can bolt to the front of an ATV. Then it's like those little sidewalk clearing trucks, only even more halfassed!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a tile cutter? I just found out that our house's builder decided not to install floor tiles beneath the vanity we're replacing, and the new one we bought has an exposed underside. :downsgun:

And what tool is best for scraping off old Thin-Set? Will a floor scraper like this one do the job, or is there a better tool?

You never got a good answer on the scraper. When I took up a ton of linoleum and tile, I used this bad boy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-8-in-Wide-Adjustable-Razor-Floor-Scraper-and-Stripper-62909Q/100067461

The replaceable 8" razor blades are super helpful, rather than the larger blades like you linked. I found it was worth it to go through blades quickly because a super sharp blade made it real easy.

I just laid ~700 sqft of tile, and borrowed a wet saw like this from a guy at work.
http://www.amazon.com/MK-Diamond-157222-MK-170-3-Horsepower/dp/B0000TN120

It was really, really helpful. I also used a tile wheel on an angle grinder for the fiddly cuts (going around doorways, bathrooms, plunge cuts)
The wet saw left minimal chipping on the tiles. I laid ceramic and porcelain, and the angle grinder (even with a new wheel) chipped the porcelain tiles to death to where you couldn't have the raw edge visible. Wet saw left a crisp, clean edge on both the ceramic and porcelain. Whatever you do, don't use either of them inside or anywhere you don't want to be covered in tile dust or water.

If I were doing a large quantity of tiling again, I would just buy a wet saw like that on Craigslist and resell it a few weeks later once I was finished. You can also rent them or whatever, but then you're in the time crunch space of "got to have it back by 6 or else I owe another $80" :ohdear:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I used the harbor freight wet saw (borrowed from my father in law) with a better blade for my glass tile install. Worked great.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
I want a stud finder that can accurately find a stud through button board and plaster... does such a tool exist?

I've been getting by with a magnet but that's only as good as the drunken Irish guy who nailed up the button board was.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sointenly posted:

I want a stud finder that can accurately find a stud through button board and plaster... does such a tool exist?

I've been getting by with a magnet but that's only as good as the drunken Irish guy who nailed up the button board was.

The Bosch GMS-120 is about the best one I've used. It's still a stud finder (so it's a piece of crap) but it's like the pretty horse in the glue factory.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm looking at snow removal options and am debating snow blower vs ATV & plow. I'm looking at houses wayyy up in the mountains of Colorado and some have pretty long and/or steep driveways. At some length it seems like the blower is just too much more difficult and slow and it's worth going the ATV route, anyone have any thoughts on what that cutoff would be from experience?

For example one place I'm looking at has a 150ft driveway that gets pretty steep in one spot, it seems like that case would still be manageable in the winter with a higher end large snow blower, maybe tracked or just with chains on tires. My hunch is that anything beyond 200ft or so and it would probably be worth it to just blow $5K or whatever on a used 4WD ATV with a plow.

Could also rely on neighbors in some places, but some houses are pretty remote and I'd be on my own to deal with the driveway on my own.

Plow truck or Kubota, you choose. ATV's are too light weight to do much good with a heavy snow load, also more time consuming due to the smaller foot print.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I want to buy this router which seems decently rated and very cheap, and affix it to a homemade (again, cheap), router table.

Whats the best way to attach it, given its non standard nature? Since its HF, I'm sure the bolt patterns are not going to be available in a traditional plate. Any recommendations for how to do this so that its easy-ish to change bits, and raise/lower the router?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-horsepower-fixed-base-router-68341-8347.html

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Also kinda fun in the snow

(Not at all cost effective)

The bucket can be pretty rough on your sealcoat too :( It gets the job done quite fast, though. My plow guy gets through my 300' driveway + turnaround in maybe 10 minutes.

My long-term plan:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Is that a heated driveway?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dhrusis posted:

I want to buy this router which seems decently rated and very cheap, and affix it to a homemade (again, cheap), router table.

Whats the best way to attach it, given its non standard nature? Since its HF, I'm sure the bolt patterns are not going to be available in a traditional plate. Any recommendations for how to do this so that its easy-ish to change bits, and raise/lower the router?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-horsepower-fixed-base-router-68341-8347.html

My router table is a piece of countertop with the router fixed directly to it using the factory machine screws. I drilled a hole for the bits to poke through. It was meant to be temporary but I'm still using it 10 years later because it just works and no dip in the top. I even bought an insert to make a nicer table but just never bothered. Point being, you can have a fully functioning router table without buying inserts and worrying about bolt patterns. The downside is that I have to remove the router to change bits. To remove it I loosen a locking knob on the router base allowing the router to unscrew, same thing for changing height. Only takes a few seconds.

But to answer your question, that HF router looks like a Porter Cable clone and may have the same bolt pattern. If it doesn't, just remove the plastic base and trace the mounting holes on a sheet of paper then make a new base/table insert out of anything you want.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Motronic posted:

The Bosch GMS-120 is about the best one I've used. It's still a stud finder (so it's a piece of crap) but it's like the pretty horse in the glue factory.

Have you tested it through plaster? I've been looking at some heavy duty scanners / stud finders and for the most part people say they still blow goats for trying to go through plaster.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

sbyers77 posted:

Is that a heated driveway?

Yup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zhentar posted:

The bucket can be pretty rough on your sealcoat too

Not if whoever is plowing for you uses and appropriate bucket.

(hint: it should have a rubber scraper on the bottom and should not just be their loose soil bucket)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

wormil posted:

My router table is a piece of countertop with the router fixed directly to it using the factory machine screws. I drilled a hole for the bits to poke through. It was meant to be temporary but I'm still using it 10 years later because it just works and no dip in the top. I even bought an insert to make a nicer table but just never bothered. Point being, you can have a fully functioning router table without buying inserts and worrying about bolt patterns. The downside is that I have to remove the router to change bits. To remove it I loosen a locking knob on the router base allowing the router to unscrew, same thing for changing height. Only takes a few seconds.

But to answer your question, that HF router looks like a Porter Cable clone and may have the same bolt pattern. If it doesn't, just remove the plastic base and trace the mounting holes on a sheet of paper then make a new base/table insert out of anything you want.

I'll try to take a picture but I was in the Ikea "As Is" section the other day and got a 24"x36" panel that would be perfect for a router table for $5, plus some other panel that's pretty perfect for a potential fence for $2. They had a whole section of surfaced MDF of various of sizes.

I'm still sort of regretting that I went for the kreg (fenceless) table that I have now. Though that may change after I use it.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

wormil posted:

So basically if I got that HF router, to bring it up or down I'd need to reach under the table and twist the plastic ring, and to change bits I need to remove the router, use 2 wrenches to remove the bit... do all routers have the locking knob you speak of, or is that just certain kinds? Perhaps thats where I'm getting a little lost. trying to do a router table for cheap and I think I can build a fence and table, just not sure how the router mounts

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have an old router with a ply table I built, and mine had a plastic base plate that screwed onto the base of the router. I took that off, drilled holes in the table and got some longer screws and screwed the router to the ply. Countersink your screws though.

My router is old and fairly basic, but I took the springs out of the risers so I wasn't fighting against those whenever I did a height adjustment or bit change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dhrusis posted:

So basically if I got that HF router, to bring it up or down I'd need to reach under the table and twist the plastic ring, and to change bits I need to remove the router, use 2 wrenches to remove the bit... do all routers have the locking knob you speak of, or is that just certain kinds? Perhaps thats where I'm getting a little lost. trying to do a router table for cheap and I think I can build a fence and table, just not sure how the router mounts

Yep exactly. I've never used the plastic ring on mine, not even sure what it does. I just turn the router in the base.