Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Man, gently caress getting an iPad to work with midi. I had to get (actually, I made waffle get it for me) a lightning to usb female adapter. None of my midi adapters would work natively with the thing because they predate the midi device class standard. So I ordered a roland um-one. It came in today. First, I thought it was broken becaue the tab/comp slider was set to comp. Its plugged in a working now, but, also to my surprise, I should be running it though a powered usb hub.
The final set up is going to be a lighting to usb to powered usb hub to um-one, probably also um-one to midisport 2x2 so I have a breakout. Also a goddamn battery pack for the usb hub. That is a loving stupid amound of cables and boxes to be able to do something with a thing that I got largely to get away from cables and boxes. In short, gently caress you, apple.

Did youWafflehound get you a first-gen Um-One? It looks like the Mk2 should've worked with the iPad straight out of the box. Anyway, I have one of these and it's always worked flawlessly even without a powered USB hub :shrug:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've got an arp going in Synth Squad's strobe and the sound I'm after is definitely best attained by messing with the stack knob. The problem is that obviously this causes phasing over time and at certain parts of the phase it sounds like garbage . Can anyone suggest something to rein it in/eliminate it? I'm running it all through distortion so the phasing has a pretty noticeable effect.

Depending on what sound you want, you could try out Cypher's Beat Detune using multiple oscillators.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I wrote a tutorial on crafting drum kits. You should probably read it: http://www.strangedynamix.com/constructing-a-complete-drum-kit/

I formally submit this Machinedrum jam as part 1 of OSCtober:

https://soundcloud.com/strangedynamix/5-kit-construction-jam-time

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Yo that's hot

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I wrote a tutorial on crafting drum kits. You should probably read it: http://www.strangedynamix.com/constructing-a-complete-drum-kit/

Nice, I was looking for info on his just recently. Gonna start reading in a bit.
For some reason my idiot brain says you must be a good source of info since you have a Machinedrum.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Machinedrums (and most of Elektron's gear) are great because they give the illusion of talent :ssh:

I plan to do another article that gets more into the theory of drum programming, talking about things like syncopation and why hi-hats make you want to dance more than a bass drum/snare. This guide was more of a primer on making a kit, I wrote it mostly because I got tired to getting nowhere when programming a basic groove and trying to add other elements to it on the fly. Getting any and all obstacles to your workflow out of the way has been one of the most important take aways for me as I get more and more into this music thing (aka spending money).

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Machinedrums (and most of Elektron's gear) are great because they give the illusion of talent :ssh:

Agreeing with this as a fellow Machinedrum owner.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Found a Yamaha EX5 for cheap, picked it up for flip potential. Gonna keep it instead. The VL engine sold me with the trumpet and shakuhachi models.

The only downside: it's silver. Silver plastic needs to die in a fire.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well, I just got a huge loving raise and am seriously considering getting a Komplete Kontrol S49. Can anyone with any NI hardware comment on their general build quality?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
OSCtober:

Started with the little bit at the beginning. As soon as I was going to make some drum patterns, the JX-3P was receiving the MIDI data for that as well, so I got the plodding little arpeggiation and built something around that. It might be too instructional/educational video soundtrack. (title spelling intentional)

I half want to turn the second part into a cover of Beck's Think I'm in Love.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/terminal

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 6, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oldstench posted:

Well, I just got a huge loving raise and am seriously considering getting a Komplete Kontrol S49. Can anyone with any NI hardware comment on their general build quality?

I have a maschine 2 and the build quality and basically everything about it feels wonderful. Nice pads, knobs, screens, everything. It feels like a nice piece of hardware, nothing toylike about it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes.

There are some decent 32-49 key ones around the $200 range (Launchpad-49, Roland A-200, Nektar Impact) and I would probably get one of those and either the Volca Bass or Keys for the money... or if you can spend another $200 or so the Waldorf Rocket or Streichfett.

surrender posted:

Could also track down an Ultranova for ~300 used, which also gives you an audio interface.

Alright, I'll check these out. I was thinking about buying my friends old mpd32. I've been messing around with it for the past week or so but I figure that I should probably just spend another 50 and get the new apc40. I just want knobs :/

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Oldstench posted:

Right on man.

I have a Maschine mk1 and once had the Komplete Audio 6. Both devices were very solidly constructed. I don't get the impression that they skimp on hardware design.

Only thing keeping me from snagging the S49 is physical space. I just can't fit it anywhere without it really getting in the way. Would love to have those Kontakt keyswitch lights right there on the board.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Another guide, this time talking about my ARPIE build: http://www.strangedynamix.com/build-log-arpie-midi-arpeggiator/

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I started learning FM8 and it's really not that awful so far. I can't imagine digging into making polyphonic stuff on it yet but as far as some mono stuff it isn't that bad at first.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I started learning FM8 and it's really not that awful so far. I can't imagine digging into making polyphonic stuff on it yet but as far as some mono stuff it isn't that bad at first.

How do you figure that changes with polyphony? I'm confused. Each polyphonic voice is the same.. :)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's my favourite VST and eventually things just click and you wind up never using presets and you get those :3: metallic Genesis sounds that make your bathing suit area get all tingly.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

How do you figure that changes with polyphony? I'm confused. Each polyphonic voice is the same.. :)

Because getting it to play nicely/evolve sounds awful compared to pushing one note.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
My Minibrute stopped working last week and they can't fix it. Since I was a sucker who bought the extended warranty, I got my money back in the form of Guitar Center funny money.

I'd like to get a Bass Station II but I arguably should concentrate on something that will be good for controlling and switching between live loops. Any suggestions? Or should I just get the Bass Station II?

Mods: I might be cross-posting this question since the threads here seem to be very instrument-specific. Just let me know if that's not kosher.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

OSCtober sketchiness: it's a long sketch

Apologies for the extremely wanky length. I'm sure it needs editing down. I'm pretty happy with some of the scenes in it though.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

OSCtober sketchiness: it's a long sketch

Apologies for the extremely wanky length. I'm sure it needs editing down. I'm pretty happy with some of the scenes in it though.

This is fantastic. Don't change a thing.

Fors Yard posted:

OSCtober:

Started with the little bit at the beginning. As soon as I was going to make some drum patterns, the JX-3P was receiving the MIDI data for that as well, so I got the plodding little arpeggiation and built something around that. It might be too instructional/educational video soundtrack. (title spelling intentional)

I half want to turn the second part into a cover of Beck's Think I'm in Love.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/terminal

This makes me want to construct a hi hat out of JX-3P chorus noise.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I'll be damned, you can make music with the things.
First iPad thing, getting warmed up for making goon xmas music. Using Genome to sequence (staring to get my mind around it), Magellan and Galileo because they were on sale and Thor. I need to put in some more sections, but not being able to work with program changes is kind of getting me down.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/first-ipad-jam

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I'm sure it had been asked before in this thread, but what are some good synth shops in New York that are worth checking out?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Rogue Music in the city has a bunch of vintage. MeMeAntenna is Williamsburg has eurorack.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Control is also in Williamsburg and also definitely worth a visit.

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
Uuuuugh I watched through all of the sonic touch episodes that exist so far, and I really want an Ipad now :argh: It would be so great for my gameboy midi setup.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Oh, it's OSCtober already?! Here's some synth music! This week I'm covering a classic video game music track on my modular and volca beats:

:ironicat: :nyan: :laugh: :megaman: :mario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYGszAdB5Q&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Oldstench posted:

I played with one in a Berlin music shop last week and the build quality of the whole thing was amazing and it looks absolutely great, it even makes my Push look cheap. I will say that as a pianist I didn't think the keybed was very nice to play on (which is a shame because Komplete has a fuckload of amazing piano instruments). But if you aren't planning on emulating Stevie Wonder, and just want a high-quality controller for synth stuff then it's probably the nicest controller I've seen.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

FLX posted:

Oh, it's OSCtober already?! Here's some synth music! This week I'm covering a classic video game music track on my modular and volca beats:

:ironicat: :nyan: :laugh: :megaman: :mario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYGszAdB5Q&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

This is loving excellent.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

So what's everybody's favorite Moog style ladder filter for baby's first euro? Kinda feel this is the most important part to not gently caress up...

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

You done already hosed up!

Actual answer: the one released two weeks after your last filter purchase.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

So what's everybody's favorite Moog style ladder filter for baby's first euro? Kinda feel this is the most important part to not gently caress up...

Doepfer A-120 is cheap and sounds just fine.
Synthesis Technology/MOTM E440 is a almost twice as much, but has 12, 18, and 24 db slopes and sounds amazing (has an awesome drive control).
The new Aion 904A Low Pass is basically a Moog LPF clone, but I don't have any experience with ordering from Aion.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That e440 seems rad, thanks much.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Analog systems RS100 is the closest I've heard, tracks 1v/oct awesome too. I do like the A108 though. Running bp out through a fsu module and back into the res in is fun.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hey I guess I may as well post it here too there's an IRC room for this thread if you care: irc.synirc.net #synths
http://cgiirc.synirc.net/
:tipshat:

e:
Here's content. If you wanted the Werkstatt from Moogfest this year you're in luck!
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Werkstatt
DIY fun included.

net work error fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2014

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Christ, $329 for a monosynth kit?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hey guys, I'm really hesitant to call these sounds "robot" farts. They sound so real that my mind actually tries to trick my nose into smelling something that isn't there. Also, OSCtober (can't have enough of that): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxM0HYh9I&list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_YEdhavu8VpmGzBi4JKQsaZ&index=1

Anae posted:

This is loving excellent.

Thank you. Hope you like the new video too :haw:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Hey guys, I'm really hesitant to call these sounds "robot" farts. They sound so real that my mind actually tries to trick my nose into smelling something that isn't there. Also, OSCtober (can't have enough of that): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxM0HYh9I&list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_YEdhavu8VpmGzBi4JKQsaZ&index=1

I'm crying.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hopefully because of fartful enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Nice farts. They remind me of the fartiest song I know. I heard this in an interesting state of mind and could not stop laughing.

https://soundcloud.com/adeodat-warfield/deborah