Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I fully expect that by the time jrodefeld posts in the libertarian thread again the BTC bounty I've declared intent to collect due to his breach of contract will allow me to buy a small nation state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ufarn posted:

This piece on the new Paula Deen cruise ship isn't great literature, but there are some pretty funny bits inbetween that I'll excerpt for you:

In February, guests converged upon the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival’s main Friday night event, the Burger Bash. A culinary team of 200 had prepared 54,000 hamburgers of about four ounces each. “That equates to 13.33 cows, roughly!” a publicist told me proudly, and I immediately pictured all of those cows lined up, even the .33, and my heart fell through the ground. The Bash was not unlike a wine tasting: people grabbed a hamburger, took a bite, nodded with a downward thoughtful frown, commenting perhaps on the notes of cowiness and the subtle undertones of mass slaughter, and threw the rest into one of the many large trash bins placed throughout. There were also bottles of water, and to cleanse the palate between burgers, patrons would open up these bottles, take a sip, cap them again, and throw them away too.

So that's 54,000 4 ounce burgers, or 216,000 ounces of beef protein= 13,500 pounds. Beef has an edible protein per unit area of land ratio of 1 lb/20 acres of land. Correct me if my math is off, but Paula Deen's Food Throwing Away Party tied up 270,000 acres of arable land.

:smithicide:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that's like a joke right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's an OK hit piece, but Paula Deen's ultimately a soft target the reading audience is already primed to hate, and there's a lot of hyperbolic punching down going on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't think there can be any question that the best thing about the new Bloomberg Politics site is the 404 page.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

I don't think there can be any question that the best thing about the new Bloomberg Politics site is the 404 page.

disruptive

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Real headline on CNN right now:

Ebola: "The ISIS of biological agents?"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Real headline on CNN right now:

Ebola: "The ISIS of biological agents?"

I thought the guy in the gibbis ebola thread was just kidding. How loving sad is CNN...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is Newt Gingrich still on CNN?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is Newt Gingrich still on CNN?

Nope. They cancelled Crossfire a few weeks ago.

Though I suppose he'll probably still show up as an "analyst" occasionally.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

ahaha well farewell to him and Sippy Cupp

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

Did Jon Stewart go on it again or something?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

大ショック!!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

I thought the guy in the gibbis ebola thread was just kidding. How loving sad is CNN...

Let me put it this way: CNN willingly hired Piers Morgan at one point.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Peak 'Murica :allears:

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 6, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Root canal done it was not that bad!!!

I feel for the bros with no dental. $900 ouch.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

Root canal done it was not that bad!!!

I feel for the bros with no dental. $900 ouch.

now yell "A secret plan to fight inflation" and post the video please

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe joke are being made about a show of which I have not seen so ther references are not being got!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

I believe joke are being made about a show of which I have not seen so ther references are not being got!

what's it like being an awful person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GGNAbFU5M

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

from something in the libertarithread, has anyone ever done a survey of how many catholics actually believe in transubstantiation or the trinity?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you mean though "believe" or you know "believe"?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Who cares as long as they don't stop.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

i mean believe

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I've found that asking (for example) catholics if they actually believe in Transubstantiation or eternal life or whatever is considered somewhere between an overly personal question and religious intolerance. A close friend says she'd rather not think about it.

moller fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 6, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I don't see the need to bother people about their religious beliefs or opinions, it's none of my business really.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i don't mean to do it in a "heh christers am i right" way, i just want to know

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tbp posted:

I don't see the need to bother people about their religious beliefs or opinions, it's none of my business really.

Do you consider economic theory to be a form of religion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i went a to a liberal-ish catholic school as a kid and transubstantiation was never expanded on other than 'yep its the body and blood of christ, no we're not going to explain it further now memorize this dumb creed no one cares about'

euphronius posted:

Do you consider economic theory to be a form of religion.

yes and for proof please see the jrod thread

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tbp posted:

that's a shame, tbh tbp, because you'll find that people's religious beliefs and opinions are an important part of what makes people unique and interesting and you'll never truly know them - or anyone - if you ignore this part of them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i went a to a liberal-ish catholic school as a kid and transubstantiation was never expanded on other than 'yep its the body and blood of christ, no we're not going to explain it further now memorize this dumb creed no one cares about'

yes and for proof please see the jrod thread

It mattered much more in 600-1200 ACE

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

R. Mute posted:

that's a shame, tbh tbp, because you'll find that people's religious beliefs and opinions are an important part of what makes people unique and interesting and you'll never truly know them - or anyone - if you ignore this part of them.

Should they be interested in talking about it I would gladly listen, I said bother not discuss

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So Wisconsins got gay marriage now, and Walkers being coy 'cause its a close race and this depresses Democrat turnout

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tbp posted:

Should they be interested in talking about it I would gladly listen, I said bother not discuss
not all people volunteer their thoughts to you or feel comfortable talking about certain subjects (at certain times), but i find that if you pry a little you'll both come out of the conversation having enriched yourself and being grateful you did pry/they did share. but yes, aggressively harassing someone about their beliefs is probably a bad idea. but that's more about how you approach it, which in the case to what you were responding to doesn't really seem that confrontational.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Yeah, badger asked about a survey and I was relating experiences from casual conversations with friends and acquaintances. I certainly wouldn't press the issue after being told that those aspects of their beliefs were something they'd rather not discuss.

EDIT: At the same time it seems weird that I've never run into a lay catholic who would give a full-throated defense of transubstantiation, the trinity, eternal life, etc.

The clergy and the texts treat such topics as irrefutable truths of the universe but it seems to me that many followers treat them more as folklore or pleasant fictions. This could be entirely due to the people I've spoken to and not true in a wider sense though.

EDIT2: I, too, went to Catholic school as a child so it has a way of coming up in conversations.

moller fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 6, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

not all people volunteer their thoughts to you or feel comfortable talking about certain subjects (at certain times), but i find that if you pry a little you'll both come out of the conversation having enriched yourself and being grateful you did pry/they did share. but yes, aggressively harassing someone about their beliefs is probably a bad idea. but that's more about how you approach it, which in the case to what you were responding to doesn't really seem that confrontational.

Whats your thoughts on monarchy in belgium?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

R. Mute posted:

I dunno

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I believe that those who support capitalism (or less crudely, believe it's a self regulating system) approach it as a underlying and eternal feature of reality but intertwined with humanity and human activity; economic theory becomes a kind of economic scientism and as such economic policy and activity takes the form of religion. Markets must be appease as an angry god, distant but possible to satiate, property becomes an inalienable part of existance rather than a social construct. Blessed are the small businesspeople, hallowed be thy equilibrium, amen.

Sadly many who are anti-capitalist take the other extreme and deify the march of history and class struggle to become a kind of inevitable rapturous event which the faithful need only preach about, rather than actually bring about through action (aside from bringing the Word to the faithless).

Only those who understand capitalism (and indeed any system based on the conflict of classes) is one of disequilibrium, containing only movement rather than progress and requiring the attention and thought of the people to bring to heel, can discuss economics as anything but a religion.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it's a gamble as much as anything. Everyone walks up to the dais and accepts the sacrament and the padre just goes "Body of Christ" sort of like, "Don't ask." I'm not Catholic, or remotely religious, but I've been in and at a number of Catholic weddings and services and it always cracks me up. It's like they've gotten it down to as few words as possible and mumble it hoping not to attract attention to how stupid it is. Eventually they'll just clear their throats and say CRACKER.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whats your thoughts on monarchy in belgium?
i'm a republican, but it's not an issue i'm very passionate about. if it was ever put to a referendum, i'd be a certain vote to kick them to the curb, though.

i really don't like any of our kings before albert II, though. maybe albert I was okay but that's because he mainly was decent during the first world war and then died falling from a cliff (or was he pushed???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tbp posted:

I dunno
think about it, or don't. it's fine either way.

• Locked thread