Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redbackground posted:

Just grab the Warren Ellis run of Moon Knight which just ended (I'm sure a trade will be out shortly).
Ellis' Moon Knight is out in trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ellis' Moon Knight is out in trade.
Even better!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

The Question IRL posted:

The Sharon stuff is so obvious I assumed it was a double bluff. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the Vision is the mole.
This is mostly because when Cap came back to life, way way back in the Captain America: Rebirth mini, the Red Skull robot hooked his tendrals into the Vision. I've long assumed that he downloaded his personalty into that body and that was how they'd bring him back.

Heck after Sixaxis is finished and they defeat the Red Onslaught, they might reveal the Vision as being the new Red Skull.

Whoever the turncoat is, they flew in.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Himuro posted:

X-Factor Investigations is over? :negative: That was totally my favorite X-book. Is the new one good? It looked really bad to me while I was at the shop.

I guess Deadpool is good too, right? But isn't there a New Deadpool?

I guess in the Marvel verse these are worth grabbing:

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil
- Thor (they were sold out :()

Jesus all the Avengers books.

I picked up Ms Marvel tonight. Good grab?
I think the general consensus on must-reads are:

Avengers/New Avengers: A long, interwoven cosmic story about the potential death of all reality. The Avengers are the classic Avengers team battling these threats, while the New Avengers are the Illuminati, trying to do the dirty work from behind the scenes that Captain America and the regular Avengers would never allow if they knew.

Daredevil: The original Marvel NOW! series focuses on Matt Murdock being suspected heavily as Dareveil and his relationship with his best friend Foggy. In the re-numbering he's forced to move to San Fransisco to continue practicing as a lawyer after it's now widely known he's Daredevil. The series is funny, emotional, and has lots of great action.

Hawkeye: "This is what Hawkeye does in his day off" features Hawkeye as just a normal guy in street clothes, dealing with trouble he generally brings onto himself. The series is really fun, and features a couple really outstanding issues (An issue from the perspective of a dog colored in a way that a dog would see, and an issue using sign language). This is always the top of the recommended list.

Deadpool: This is a return to the Cable & Deadpool style writing, it de-emphasizes all the lolrandom XD humor previously in the book quite a bit, and deals really well with the obnoxious "Three different voices in Deadpool's head" gimmick that most people got tired of. After the President's arc, things really pick up and the following might well be considered one of the best Deadpool runs so far.

Moon Knight: The first six issues are gritty street vigilantism by Warren Ellis that are all spectacular. They're all essentially one-shots and really do the "Revenge style" movies like Old Boy or Taken great justice

Thor: :black101: It's an amazing Thor run, metal as hell, drawn beautifully. Everything about this Thor run is excellent.

Ms. Marvel: Focuses on a young teen hero from a Muslim family struggling to pick between being a normal New York raised girl, and her family's old traditions. Probably one of the best coming-of-age, young hero stories that Marvel's ever put out, although some people get tired of the memes and art-style, and this is obviously more aimed at teenage girls, but still great.

FF: The Marvel Now! FF focuses on the story of Marvel's First Family going off on a cosmic adventure, leaving behind their hand-picked team to be honorary Fantastic Four members. Initially the trip was only supposed to take a few minutes in real time, something goes wrong and the team of Ant Man, She-Hulk, Medusa (Of the Inhumans) and Johnny Storm's girlfriend of that morning. There's a lot of touching moments between the cast and the Future Foundation, a group of children kind of adopted into the Fantastic Four's home for being outstandingly intelligent children. Great series, very light-hearted and fun.

And that's just what I would consider "Must Read" for Marvel Now! and doesn't even cover what's "Good" or "Great" and worth checking out. Marvel Now! may very well be putting out the definitive run for a lot of heroes and books right now, and they are blowing the New52 reboot out of the loving water with so many A+ titles.

Other titles worth checking out: Superior Foes of Spider-Man, All-New Ghost Rider, Black Widow, Elektra, Magneto, Silver Surfer,

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Note the FF run he's talking about isn't the current one. The current F4 stuff is a boring Robinson slog that makes you forget how good the series was two writers ago.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/517481531447967744

I need to see the contents of these books.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Bit of a tangent but whats the current status of the Kree and Shiar? Im on a bit of a Mar-Vell kick. Whatever happened to his Nega Bands?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Moreau posted:

Bit of a tangent but whats the current status of the Kree and Shiar?

I believe Ronan the Accuser is currently the de facto ruler of the Kree, which took heavy losses during the Annihilation War and the recent thing with the Builders in Infinity. Ronan also had a diplomatic marriage to Crystal for a little bit that may still be going on.

Lilandra got killed recently and was momentarily deposed. That guy got killed shortly thereafter and now Gladiator is the Emperor of the Sh'iar, although he's not happy about it.

Both races are pretty okay with Earth at the moment because of the events of the Infinity crossover.

Moreau posted:

Im on a bit of a Mar-Vell kick. Whatever happened to his Nega Bands?

I think his daughter had them last and she's currently dead, but both she and her girlfriend are really good at getting over that.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Crystal mentioned in X Factor that her and Ronin aren't together anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gladiator is so cool with the Earth he sent his son to be educated at the Jean Grey school.

Doesn't Noh-varr have Mar-Vell's negabands?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Crystal mentioned in X Factor that her and Ronin aren't together anymore.

Black Bolt forces them to split up in Hickman's FF run.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Erica Henderson and Ryan North on a Squirrel Girl ongoing. It's so good an idea for a book I have no idea why it took this long to happen.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

Erica Henderson and Ryan North on a Squirrel Girl ongoing. It's so good an idea for a book I have no idea why it took this long to happen.
Ryan North yessss

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

Black Bolt forces them to split up in Hickman's FF run.

My only complaint about that run. Their pairing was awesome and that seemed totally unnecessary.

ElNarez posted:

Holy poo poo. To quote Marvel:Heroes "Come on Tippy-Toe, let's go!"

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Art Adams cover is amazing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erica Henderson's great too. Lookin forward to that book.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Cool that Ryan North and Erica Henderson are doing work for Marvel, but they couldn't be doing something other than Squirrel Girl? I feel like Squirrel Girl jokes have been run into the ground so hard at this point that there's not really any point to making them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

My only complaint about that run. Their pairing was awesome and that seemed totally unnecessary.

Sorry but that was an amazing moment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ElNarez posted:

Dammit, Marvel, I want to stop reading even more comics! Why must great stuff keep coming out?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh I agree, it was a great scene. It was just unfortunate to see them broken up in the overall scheme of things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eh it was just Black bolt being a dick.

All the narration in the world couldn't make that amazing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

HorseRenoir posted:

Cool that Ryan North and Erica Henderson are doing work for Marvel, but they couldn't be doing something other than Squirrel Girl? I feel like Squirrel Girl jokes have been run into the ground so hard at this point that there's not really any point to making them.

When was the last time she was even around? I'm sure this comic is geared right toward the Ms. Marvel set, which I'm gonna guess has one-of-the-if-not-the highest percentage of new readers (both young and comic-converts who bought #1 as a show of support and kept with it). I bet most of them don't even know who Squirrel Girl is.

On the other hand, can Squirrel Girl support a solo ongoing of more than 12 issues? I expect to see lots of team-ups, and all but guarantee a multi-issue Deadpool appearance.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
With New Warriors (sadly, shamefully) canceled, it seems to me like this would be the perfect book for Kaine and Aracely to guest-star in.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

When was the last time she was even around?
Nanny to the Stars Luke Cage and Jessica and possible love interest for Daredevil during Bendis Avengering.

Hopefully this is the spiritual successor to Patsy Walker: Hellcat, the best mini nobody read.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Marvel filed a Squirrel Girl trademark alongside stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron, etc as one of those big 'multimedia property' things a while back. This comic is like stage two in a big Squirrel Girl push from them (she's been playable in something like 5 video games in the past 2-3 years) and I bet they'll be giving her a cartoon series or something if it does well.

Ryan North is a great choice though, and that art looks really cute, so I'm absolutely onboard for this. The nice thing about Squirrel Girl is that we know it won't be the standard superhero story stuff since she kind of effortlessly dispatches big threats all the time. Plus, she's a character who we've never really seen any stories be about her. It's always stuff like "how does Iron Man react to her" or "how does Deadpool react to her", so it will be cool to see what they do to establish her as an ongoing thing and see what kind of supporting cast she gets.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

On the other hand, can Squirrel Girl support a solo ongoing of more than 12 issues? I expect to see lots of team-ups, and all but guarantee a multi-issue Deadpool appearance.

this is what i'm wondering too

she's always been a really one-off kinda character, even through all her appearances

there's a lot of room to work with her 'cuz of that but it feels like it'd be painfully easy to ultimately fall back on the somewhat tired old bit from all her appearances

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

While I'm on board with a new Squirrel Girl book, why'd they have to go and make an awful new costume? You don't redesign a Steve Ditko original unless you've got a drat good reason, people!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Marvel filed a Squirrel Girl trademark alongside stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron, etc as one of those big 'multimedia property' things a while back. This comic is like stage two in a big Squirrel Girl push from them (she's been playable in something like 5 video games in the past 2-3 years) and I bet they'll be giving her a cartoon series or something if it does well.

Ryan North is a great choice though, and that art looks really cute, so I'm absolutely onboard for this. The nice thing about Squirrel Girl is that we know it won't be the standard superhero story stuff since she kind of effortlessly dispatches big threats all the time. Plus, she's a character who we've never really seen any stories be about her. It's always stuff like "how does Iron Man react to her" or "how does Deadpool react to her", so it will be cool to see what they do to establish her as an ongoing thing and see what kind of supporting cast she gets.

Imagine the nerd meltdown that'd come if they announce a Squirrel Girl movie for Phase 3? :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

While I'm on board with a new Squirrel Girl book, why'd they have to go and make an awful new costume? You don't redesign a Steve Ditko original unless you've got a drat good reason, people!

...it's barely a new costume, though? The only real change is the top is now a bustier, apparently? She's had the bomber jacket since Slott reintroduced her, and the rest is pretty much the Ditko look.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Imagine the nerd meltdown that'd come if they announce a Squirrel Girl movie for Phase 3? :allears:

Marvel's first female feature film: Squirrel Girl.

It proceeds to make over a billion dollars.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SquirrelGirl is the Lobo for a new generation.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

...it's barely a new costume, though? The only real change is the top is now a bustier, apparently? She's had the bomber jacket since Slott reintroduced her, and the rest is pretty much the Ditko look.

normally her costume has a turtleneck or something along those lines, right?

the full on bustier + ears is somewhat more evocative of the playboy bunny suit kinda look or whatever

has anyone read ryan north's adventure time comic stuff? i kinda feel like the real silly and bizarre adventure tone might carry over a bit (or a lot?) given the character

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Marvel's first female feature film: Squirrel Girl.

It proceeds to make over a billion dollars.

I feel like it'd be CG like Big Hero 6. Kids would latch onto something as insane as Squirrel Girl if it was all cheery and fun. Remember this post when you're buying your kids Squirrel Girl backpacks at Walmart.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And we are lamenting how brony types are getting creepy with her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

SquirrelGirl is the Lobo for a new generation.

How so? Lobo parodied over the top 90s comics back in the day, so Squirrel Girl is a statement on... all the cheery squirrel themed comics we have today?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...What's Lobo parodying now, though?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...What's Lobo parodying now, though?

Exactly. A joke that stuxk around long enough that people have forgotten the joke and now has a life of its own.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I love Squirrel Girl, but I get the feeling that a Squirrel Girl movie would be the next Howard the Duck.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I could see Disney giving it the Big Hero 6 treatment and completely separating it from Marvel as an animated project that would work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I would love an animated Squirrel Girl, even if it probably wouldn't make as much as a live action one. Something about animated films, especially in the United States, makes a lot of people think "for kids only" even though animation is technically a medium and not a genre. Plus Marvel has always lagged behind DC in the animation department since the 90s, so Disney giving it a bump would help a lot.

• Locked thread