Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I just started buying the Sandman comics because of your last video and just got to that story you pretty much read the entire thing of. It was still really enjoyable to read and I am kinda sad I never discovered this comic as a teenager, I recall seeing the ads for it in the Calvin and Hobbes comics, but the covers were so odd and strange I thought the entire thing was going to be like that which put me off as I considered that "too adult and boring" as a teen.

It's a really fantastic series, gonna buy more of them, just the right mix of supernatural, horror, kick-rear end and introspective to be really enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thetrueoskar posted:

Unless he meant a goatherdER

A goatherd is a goat herder, just as a shepherd is a sheep herder.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Erwin the German posted:

Right, well, Zodiac is a pretty decent bunch of missions featuring Paul as the protagonist, which earns him his own pair of sunglasses, apparently. It deals pretty heavily with some of the crazier conspiracy theories that Deus Ex only mildly alludes to like ancient aliens. The CIA also gets a lot of screen time early on, so it satisfies that itch as well.

Only issue is that the mission areas tend to be too sprawling, so you'll end up doing a lot of running around, but I enjoyed it a lot overall. Writing isn't too terrible, either, for what it's worth.

This gets really silly when the you reach the two last parts, which almost play like a mix between Serious Sam and Quake 2. It's almost a clash when a MJ12 Commando can be almost a boss enemy and when you find yourself mowing through 30 to 40 greys on a big arena.

The waaay too big levels are kind of a running theme on Deus Ex Mods to be honest, but sometimes they do play that really well, with maps like Hotel Carone's namesake and the Bank level in RedSun 2020. On the other hand, you have the almost to scale CIA Langley building in Zodiac and the darkened subway in RedSun2020.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I felt uneasy about the latest Conspiracy Corner, though I am unsure how to why exactly. You describe the assassins as a terrorist group with some degree of accuracy, but would that term be a little anachronistic?

The word "terrorism" can be traced back to days of the French Revolution. (terrorisme) It referred to the Reign of Terror (la Terreur) in which the newly minted revolutionary government ran out of enemies and began to consume its own. It was for this reason why I thought the Paris levels in Deus Ex were so poignant, as it was a historically interesting place to explore the themes of the game.

For the longest time, the very definition of terrorism made acts of terrorism only a thing that state powers and sufficiently large organizations could commit. I get the feeling that our conception of a "terrorist" as a mostly powerless radical from a far away minority group is a more recent definition, largely influenced by state propaganda.

I also wonder if terrorism is only possible in developed, industrialized, or urban societies. To describe the assassins as a terrorist group makes sense in contemporary terms, but would there be some other label definition for the assassins that made sense in their own time?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It would certainly be anachronistic to them, but it is not anachronistic to us. Unless you send the video back in time and translate it to a language of the time, "terrorists" is a perfectly fine word to use because its modern meaning makes sense to a modern audience. If you do send the video back in time, the localization team can handle it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It would kind of be like trying to explain what a personal computer is and how it related to game consoles and handheld phones.

We've developed modern terms to understand our surroundings better. Terrorism and revolutions aren't really so different, depending on what point of view you see it from.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Kunster posted:

This gets really silly when the you reach the two last parts, which almost play like a mix between Serious Sam and Quake 2.

I still like Zodiac the best of the 'big' mods. Paul's deadpan acceptance of the plot spiralling hopelessly out of control is funny. I certainly like it way more than Redsun, mostly because of that bloody subway bit.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Tiggum posted:

A goatherd is a goat herder, just as a shepherd is a sheep herder.

Really? My mistake, I've never heard that word before, I just assumed he missed a space.

Well, then I take back my post. I'm even more confused, because now it sounds like he's saying burning fossil fuels creates goats, like some kind of combustible abiogenesis. Though there's probably a conspiracy theorist that believes that somewhere.

Hold 'R' to summon demonic goat minions?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy poo poo I never knew Sandra would end up here :stare: god drat, I always had her stay with her dad I never thought she'd end up here.
God drat. The gas station is fun for me since it's a straight-up stealth mission and by now you have every single way of loving around with the guards at your disposal, or at least you SHOULD have that capability by now.

Also...THAT is Mecca?! ...wow um, that is so not what I thought it looked like that's kind of monolith-looking to me, that's crazy...I mean it looks awesome but wow. Thank you by the way for the brief history on Islam, that clears a lot of things up on the political states of it and such and a lot of things become clear to me now.
We also gotta give props to the principality of Antioch for making holy hand grenades so there's that too. Though they got nothing on that Alamut castle, cuz THAT is a loving castle for the ages.

Also hell yes the Hashi-ashin, my favourite conspiracy group as copyrighted to Ubisoft Montreal :allears: so...an assassin and a spy are not the same at all it seems, in fact they're complete opposites in that an assassin MUST be seen as a mark of warning to those who cross them as opposed to a spy who must NOT be seen at all costs.

...this was a very humbling episode to hear in the end, which are honestly my favourite ones to listen to from you.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 1, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Prenton posted:

I still like Zodiac the best of the 'big' mods. Paul's deadpan acceptance of the plot spiralling hopelessly out of control is funny. I certainly like it way more than Redsun, mostly because of that bloody subway bit.

Yeah, whereas Zodiac was a bit smarter with the pacing, it didn't feature a huge maze with goons and robots thrown around in the dark! Or gratitious Mainichi News papers. Or a bugged out teleporter that depended on door opening triggers. Doors you can explode open. Or a game breaking bug on the third map. Or the tacked on Megatokyo panel you can only get with a password you can ask from some guy.

At most on Zodiac it was probably the only game levels that actually had me look at the compass.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Kunster posted:

Yeah, whereas Zodiac was a bit smarter with the pacing, it didn't feature a huge maze with goons and robots thrown around in the dark! Or gratitious Mainichi News papers. Or a bugged out teleporter that depended on door opening triggers. Doors you can explode open. Or a game breaking bug on the third map. Or the tacked on Megatokyo panel you can only get with a password you can ask from some guy.

At most on Zodiac it was probably the only game levels that actually had me look at the compass.

Or the confusing nonsensical plot, or the annoying, constant fourth wall breaking, or-

Actually, I was pretty much okay with Redsun overall. I liked a lot of what it tried to do - like that party palace place with the two nightclubs. I think there's more interactable NPCs hanging around there than any single fan map for Deus Ex. The bank goes without saying, and I really liked the war torn city level that sandwiches those two locations.

Everything else was kinda dumb, but those three levels made a strong enough impression on me to forgive a lot of it.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
While we're on the topic of modding, I've got to bring The Nameless Mod up again. Yeah, the plot is based on an internet forum. It's still one of the most immersive modded experiences I've had. It has a ton of flaws, and it was way too ambitious for its own good, but that ambition turned into a good game with a mostly cohesive story.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FinalGamer posted:

Also...THAT is Mecca?! ...wow um, that is so not what I thought it looked like that's kind of monolith-looking to me, that's crazy...I mean it looks awesome but wow.
The image in the video is the Kaaba, a cuboid that is as much as 4000 years old. It is the most sacred site in Islam. Once a major temple of the pagan religion of Mecca, Mohammed struck down the idols and claimed it in the name of Islam. In a Muslim's hajj to Mecca they are expected to circumambulate seven times around the Kaaba counter-clockwise.

This is Mecca in its entirety today:

Constant new development has led to the destruction of untold numbers of ancient landmarks, in favor of massive spectacles of wealth like the 591-meter tall Clock Royal Tower Hotel.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I really hate how Mecca turned out.
It just captures the worst parts of the Gulf.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I've been there before. To Makkah, back in the 90's. We stayed at a hotel that was kind of poo poo, but it was literally next door to Masjid Al-Asad. The tallest building there at the time was... not that big by today's standards. Maybe 10 stories, but I was less than 10 at the time shut up. But we saw a whole lot of interesting things back then, like where Muhammad gave his sermons, his old place at Makkah/Medina, and even his (probable) grave.

But now, to see a city that focused more on the part of the city you were supposed to be there for (the Kaa'ba), and see it turned into some quasi-Vegas kind of thing, that's kind of maddening in a cultural sort of way. I mean, why do you need a giant-rear end clock there, the azan is going to let you know what time it is (to pray. It's always time to pray. Take my word on it).

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

bman in 2288 posted:

I mean, why do you need a giant-rear end clock there

"Suck it, London." :smuggo:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Constant new development has led to the destruction of untold numbers of ancient landmarks, in favor of massive spectacles of wealth like the 591-meter tall Clock Royal Tower Hotel.

The House of Saud really blows, y'all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bman in 2288 posted:

I've been there before. To Makkah, back in the 90's. We stayed at a hotel that was kind of poo poo, but it was literally next door to Masjid Al-Asad. The tallest building there at the time was... not that big by today's standards. Maybe 10 stories, but I was less than 10 at the time shut up. But we saw a whole lot of interesting things back then, like where Muhammad gave his sermons, his old place at Makkah/Medina, and even his (probable) grave.

But now, to see a city that focused more on the part of the city you were supposed to be there for (the Kaa'ba), and see it turned into some quasi-Vegas kind of thing, that's kind of maddening in a cultural sort of way. I mean, why do you need a giant-rear end clock there, the azan is going to let you know what time it is (to pray. It's always time to pray. Take my word on it).

I love how the Kaa'ba is just this tiny little thing in the foreground with the giant gently caress off hotel in the background.
"God is great, AND SO ARE THESE SAVINGS!"

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I've never understood why a society which prides itself on an ancient linkage to specific geographic areas would constantly bulldoze, destroy, or trivialize such relics with seemingly limitless amounts of ostentatious dick-waving.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Casualty posted:

I've never understood why a society which prides itself on an ancient linkage to specific geographic areas would constantly bulldoze, destroy, or trivialize such relics with seemingly limitless amounts of ostentatious dick-waving.

Willie Tomg posted:

The House of Saud really blows, y'all.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Why are Muslims globally not angrier about the holiest place on earth being vandalised like that? (Or do we just never hear about it in the West?)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Casualty posted:

We learned nothing from the tower of Babel, so if this isn't evidence that god has said "gently caress it, I'm out", I dunno what is.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Namely the latter because of the power of the House Of Saud, and the way western media tends to be really lovely towards Islamic folk, even those who address inner issues that don't necessarily end it with "...and that's why we need to destroy the entirety of Islam". (See: The way a lot of protests during and after Benghazi were during a particularly heavy drone bombing being directly pushed more to the "This dubious youtube film that may or not have existed from a producer that kept pushing it intentionally and with intent to start poo poo up and that's why they're mad" and less to the "Deathbots are exploding innocent folk so that's a bigger reason as to why they're peeved"). I wouldn't be surprised if during the Indian Revolution ordeals, there were british papers trying to frame the whole ordeal as "They're angry at us for putting leather on weapons?? I personally can't be offended by that, they need a lil bit of Voltaire and Rosseau to free their brains from their dogmas and maybe a little paddling and rhubharb."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 2, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

There was a point where anger towards the House of Saud was so great that an actual hostage situation took place at the Kabaa in '79. However, this anger was directed towards perceived Westernization, e.g. secularism, the vaguest acknowledgment of egalitarianism between sexes, as opposed to the disgusting wealth disparity and disregard for historical preservation in the name of ostentatious one-up-manship.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Soricidus posted:

Why are Muslims globally not angrier about the holiest place on earth being vandalised like that? (Or do we just never hear about it in the West?)

The latter most probably.
Funnily enough this was in the NY Times two days ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/opinion/the-destruction-of-mecca.html?_r=0

Oh and it's currently the Month of Dhu-Al Hijjah, the month in which Hajj is performed.
And it's the first day of Hajj as well!

As for why they are demolishing everything: Fear of promoting idolatry is one.
a baseless fear to be honest, as in Islam it is repeated again and again that Allah is the only thing you should be praying to.
Seriously, Tawhid (declaration of the Oneness of god) is part of the Shahadah (the declaration of one's Islamic faith), a pillar of islam.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 2, 2014

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The latter most probably.
Funnily enough this was in the NY Times two days ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/opinion/the-destruction-of-mecca.html?_r=0

Oh and it's currently the Month of Dhu-Al Hijjah, the month in which Hajj is performed.
And it's the first day of Hajj as well!

As for why they are demolishing everything: Fear of promoting idolatry is one.
a baseless fear to be honest, as in Islam it is repeated again and again that Allah is the only thing you should be praying to.
Seriously, Tawhid (declaration of the Oneness of god) is part of the Shahadah (the declaration of one's Islamic faith), a pillar of islam.

Hence why the main conclusion is that House of Saud are a bunch of fuckers.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

pun pundit posted:

It would certainly be anachronistic to them, but it is not anachronistic to us. Unless you send the video back in time and translate it to a language of the time, "terrorists" is a perfectly fine word to use because its modern meaning makes sense to a modern audience. If you do send the video back in time, the localization team can handle it.

Mordaedil posted:

It would kind of be like trying to explain what a personal computer is and how it related to game consoles and handheld phones.

We've developed modern terms to understand our surroundings better. Terrorism and revolutions aren't really so different, depending on what point of view you see it from.

Well, yes I am aware of that. While there will always be some degree of separation between historical understanding and contemporary understanding, in this case I'm wondering if that gap is just a little larger than usual. The timespan between the activity of the assassins and the invention of terrorism is quite large, and even come time for the French revolution, the initial definition was too different to be a reasonable comparison.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Morroque posted:

Well, yes I am aware of that. While there will always be some degree of separation between historical understanding and contemporary understanding, in this case I'm wondering if that gap is just a little larger than usual. The timespan between the activity of the assassins and the invention of terrorism is quite large, and even come time for the French revolution, the initial definition was too different to be a reasonable comparison.

"The invention of terrorism" I think is what we're discussing because I don't think terrorism is a thing that is invented. When Ughthal went into the neighboring tribe's cave and smacked Nogtrar's wife with a club to tell him he meant business, that was terrorism.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVCbRl_Y7M8

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
My favorite definition of terrorists is "bad guys".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Marker17501 posted:

My favorite definition of terrorists is "bad guys".

And the best part is, you can usually pick out the bad guys because they're the ones doing terrorism! It's so neat and tidy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Akratic Method posted:

And the best part is, you can usually pick out the bad guys because they're the ones doing terrorism! It's so neat and tidy.

I like the idea that inflicting similar or higher deathtolls by the other side is just called "peace-keeping".

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Akratic Method posted:

Just don't target civilians all the time or people will get mad at you.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And if you do, just mspaint some lines over a sattelite photo and the words "Terrorisms b here, yaarrr" and stick your army logo on the corner. Or like use doctored footage from almost 7 years ago that was barely about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So I found out that I can use custom thumbnails now.

Handouts:

Sub Lab Map
Ocean Lab Map
Pinkerton Email: Re: Karkian Assessment
Pinkerton Email: HElP

Known misses: No known unknowns.

PS: I somehow came across this website when I was gathering images for the Science Corner and I knew I had to share it with you. Also, when you read it, be aware that the "Zetas" the blog refers to are aliens from the system Zeta Reticuli, an idea you may recall originated with the Aquarius Telex which was the forerunner to the MJ-12 documents.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well at least the EU is at the forefront of combating climate change.

game over man game over.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Antennapedia is actually a lot cooler than a comprehensive book about transmitting devices would be, and more relevant to Dr. Pinkerton's homeotics research than radios.

Basically it's is messing with the basic developmental genetics of an insect to get its foremost body segment (where the antennas grow) to develop as though it was a thorax segment (where the legs grow).

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Finally started watching these after creeping the thread for a long time and being far too busy. I'm sure people blew up about The Man Who Was Thursday reference in the 'Ton ( Gabriel Syme, London, UK ). Wish I'd been watching along the whole time. I'm a chemical engineer and around the time of the vaccine corner I was doing an influenza vaccine production plant design based on insect ( Sf-9 ) cells for a case study.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

psivamp posted:

I'm a chemical engineer and around the time of the vaccine corner I was doing an influenza vaccine production plant design based on insect ( Sf-9 ) cells for a case study.

You'd better keep quiet about that. What are you, Angel/0A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Some slight corrections to science corner.
1) If atoms are in a neutral state gravity maters long before the EM-force significantly interacts with the other atoms. And when it does interact there is actually a slight attractive force that bottoms out right around bond length.
2) Non-fused objects in space larger than about 100 miles in diameter will tend toward a sphere primarily due to gravity alone. Heat does help but it isn't the primary cause.

• Locked thread