Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lawen posted:

PSA: the 5 perk point "Win better prizes more often with Horizon Wheelspin" seems to be not really worth it. It hasn't obviously increased the rate at which I win cars and only gives a 10% increase on forzabucks payouts. Spending 5 perk points to get 3300CR instead of 3000 is bullshit.

I think what it does is increase the rate at which high value prizes are put on the wheel, not increase the rate at which whatever higher value items on the wheel are hit. Agreed that it doesn't really seem worth it.

The think the skills I've found most useful are the one that increases the rate your multiplier increases and the one that adds a second to your chain.

The one that gives you the indicator of the cars you need for photo mode seemed good at first, but I'm finding taking pictures of random cars to be more tedious than anything, and the credit rewards don't really seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

tk posted:

I think what it does is increase the rate at which high value prizes are put on the wheel, not increase the rate at which whatever higher value items on the wheel are hit. Agreed that it doesn't really seem worth it.

Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it just gives a flat 10% bump to the existing payout and maybe (and I'm really not too confident about this) adds a couple more cars to the wheel. It doesn't seem to do anything to help you RNG a higher tier reward. Since unlocking it I've gotten 3300 twice, 5500, 8800 twice, 16500, 55000, and maybe one mediocre car. Maybe that's a veeery slight bump to the base RNG but it looks like a flat 10% to existing rewards to me.

quote:

The think the skills I've found most useful are the one that increases the rate your multiplier increases and the one that adds a second to your chain.

The one that gives you the indicator of the cars you need for photo mode seemed good at first, but I'm finding taking pictures of random cars to be more tedious than anything, and the credit rewards don't really seem worth it.

Yeah, I'm working towards the one that lets your multiplier go up to 6x and already unlocked the +1 sec perk. Those will probably give the biggest overall return if I get them earlier. After that it's a toss up between getting the -10% new cars and buying a shitload of stuff or getting the fast travel anywhere perk. Min/maxin' arcade racer in dis thread

Just finished the Finale, time to circle back to Bucket List races.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Since I've been on a PS4 the past year or so, I forgot my favorite part of Forza: the absurd engine swaps. Any good combos I should know about?

Also, how is Forza 5?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I wish Barn Finds and repair times/bills worked like this IRL.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Since I've been on a PS4 the past year or so, I forgot my favorite part of Forza: the absurd engine swaps. Any good combos I should know about?

Also, how is Forza 5?

Dunno, but in game it allows you to stick a V8 into a Ford Fiesta. Not sure how they found the room in a fiesta for that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also, how is Forza 5?

Forza 5 is exceptional even with the fewer tracks/cars than previous versions. The audio upgrades alone are worth the price of admission, and while Forza 4 is still a fantastic game it's really hard to go back to after 5 came out due to the quality of the visuals, the improved AI (drivatars) and the incredibly immersive sound. Bathhurst rules, Spa rules, F1 cars rule. Definitely worth the $35 or whatever it is on Amazon now. Easily the best launch title on either console.

It's got some weird UI choices, and the Knowledgeable British Announcer Guy was replaced with "Some bored chick who can barely read and hates cars", but once you get used to the odd choice (by both console manufacturers) to replace deeply-instilled standards like "Start" and "Select" buttons with exactly the same buttons but change their names to "Weird Listy Thing" and "Other Weird List Thing That's a Bit Different" on Xbone, and "Share" and "Tiny Vertically Aligned Options Button That's Impossible To Hit Without Hitting the Touchpad Instead" on PS4, the UI makes a lot more sense.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Holy poo poo the paint jobs in this game.

Satya Nadella can burn in hell for not porting this to PC.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Surprisingly low friction to join GRC :D

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
BTW, you can get telemetry by holding down on the control pad.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Forza 5 is exceptional even with the fewer tracks/cars than previous versions. The audio upgrades alone are worth the price of admission, and while Forza 4 is still a fantastic game it's really hard to go back to after 5 came out due to the quality of the visuals, the improved AI (drivatars) and the incredibly immersive sound. Bathhurst rules, Spa rules, F1 cars rule. Definitely worth the $35 or whatever it is on Amazon now. Easily the best launch title on either console.

It's got some weird UI choices, and the Knowledgeable British Announcer Guy was replaced with "Some bored chick who can barely read and hates cars", but once you get used to the odd choice (by both console manufacturers) to replace deeply-instilled standards like "Start" and "Select" buttons with exactly the same buttons but change their names to "Weird Listy Thing" and "Other Weird List Thing That's a Bit Different" on Xbone, and "Share" and "Tiny Vertically Aligned Options Button That's Impossible To Hit Without Hitting the Touchpad Instead" on PS4, the UI makes a lot more sense.

"This is your new 1990 Mercedes-Benz One Ninety E Two Point Five Sixteen Vee Evolution Two"

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Are there any feature comparisons between the 360 and xbone version? i know the lack of weather and drivitar thing, but is there anything else? really can't justify buying a xbone just for this game (oh god its so temping)

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Keket posted:

Are there any feature comparisons between the 360 and xbone version? i know the lack of weather and drivitar thing, but is there anything else? really can't justify buying a xbone just for this game (oh god its so temping)

Its not a side by side list, but the Digital Foundry did their graphics comparison this weekend in in the article they talk about how its not really the same game at all:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-forza-horizon-2-face-off

quote:

The overall impression is that Sumo hasn't exactly ported Forza Horizon 2 from Xbox One to the 360, but rather that it has produced its own companion piece that is better suited to the hardware limitations of the older console. There's also the sense that it has sought to extract the best possible results from the existing Xbox 360 engine created for the original Horizon, as opposed to tackling the nigh-on impossible task of scaling down the Xbox One codebase. Generally speaking, the approach works, even though one of the most satisfying experiences of the new game feels a little lacking on Xbox 360.

quote:

Off-road racing is a core component of Forza Horizon 2, and on Xbox One, the sensation of ploughing cross-country, blasting through detail-rich, thick foliage is one experience that feels new and exciting, helping to give the game the feeling that the title is a true next-gen pioneer in the racing genre. There's nothing to stop you driving off-road on Xbox 360, but the events structure to make the most of it is lacking - you leave the tarmac in many events, but the emphasis remains on circuit racing.

[quote]Other next-gen elements are also missing in the Xbox 360 game - specifically, the vast range of online gameplay features Playground has shoehorned into the Xbox One title. There's also no Drivatar AI either - much maligned by many in Forza Motorsport 5, comparing Forza Horizon 2 between Xbox 360 and Xbox One demonstrates how worthwhile the feature actually is - if only for the unpredictability the evolved AIs add.

quote:

Forza Horizon 2 represents something of a full-stop for the franchise on the Xbox 360. Sumo took on the excellent Playground/Turn 10 codebase but there's the feeling that it couldn't push the level of technical achievement further, resulting in a revised game design that made the most of the technologies and assets available, in the final analysis producing a very different game to the Xbox One showcase. It's a fine title worthy of the hardware it is running on and the pedigree of the studios involved - but it is perhaps more of a sideways step than a full-blown sequel. That game does exist, however - and it is spectacular - but it does remain exclusive to Xbox One.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I got the WRX from the demo and have done nothing but rally championships since. Saying gently caress roads is just too much fun :colbert: Also I'm bad at steering so AWD seems to help, although that could just be in my head.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

I got the WRX from the demo and have done nothing but rally championships since. Saying gently caress roads is just too much fun :colbert: Also I'm bad at steering so AWD seems to help, although that could just be in my head.

AWD helps a lot with some cars, particularly off road. I converted the arial atom to AWD and its pretty much unstoppable now. I did the 'track toys' race that has offroad sections and found it pretty much uncontrollable on dirt/grass/gravel but with AWD its loving great.

Edit - and also, some more screen shots. Still having fun with the photo mode

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why yes, I think my 1945 Willys Jeep does need a brand new V8 in it!

Holy gently caress does it understeer at speed.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

PT6A posted:

Why yes, I think my 1945 Willys Jeep does need a brand new V8 in it!

Holy gently caress does it understeer at speed.
Yes it does, I hope you also went to the aero section and put on the awesome Forza front splitter, because it makes it 100% more awesome.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

AWD helps a lot with some cars, particularly off road. I converted the arial atom to AWD and its pretty much unstoppable now. I did the 'track toys' race that has offroad sections and found it pretty much uncontrollable on dirt/grass/gravel but with AWD its loving great.

I saw some of the speed trap records and many of them were done with Atom X999, so I upgraded mine. The car went from one of the most fun cars in the game to an undriveable monster. I think I'm going to buy a second Atom and keep it stock, and use this upgraded insane one for records.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

real_scud posted:

Yes it does, I hope you also went to the aero section and put on the awesome Forza front splitter, because it makes it 100% more awesome.
The Race Roll Cage looks fuckin' sweet on that thing too.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wait I can make a non AWD drive car into an AWD car? :aaaaa:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah, you can do a drivetrain swap and/or an engine swap in most cars in the upgrade menu.

subroc posted:

I saw some of the speed trap records and many of them were done with Atom X999, so I upgraded mine. The car went from one of the most fun cars in the game to an undriveable monster. I think I'm going to buy a second Atom and keep it stock, and use this upgraded insane one for records.

Yeah, I kept mine at S1 or S2 or whatever and just did some minor performance enhancements. I find almost anything at the X999 level to be undrivable, haha.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So the co-op bucket list challenges appear to be 2 player only.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

So the co-op bucket list challenges appear to be 2 player only.

this was very lame to discover yesterday

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

this was very lame to discover yesterday
Tbh it's kind of lame that the co-op bucket list is exactly the same events as the SP ones.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

What WinnebagoWarrior said. I have yet to see a car that you CAN'T make AWD. But, converting your car to AWD ups your car's PI significantly! Something to consider if you're trying to build a car and stay in a certain class.

Word of caution. If you plan to convert your car to AWD, don't buy any drive train upgrades until after the conversion. When it comes to any kind of swap - engine, aspiration and drive train - all the parts you bought for your engine, any upgraded intercooler/turbo(s) and any upgraded clutches, transmissions, etc. are all removed for each of the respective conversions.

So if you bought a race clutch, race tranny, etc. and later decide to to convert to AWD, guess what? You lose all of your upgrades before the AWD conversion and get to purchase those upgrades again. Learned that one the hard way since I didn't read the fine print in the conversion description box. :/

---

Perks chat. If you turn off almost all the assists and bump up AI difficulty to one notch below "Unbeatable", Horizon still hands out cash like candy! In my case, I get a 75% CR bonus just for having all aids off except ABS and the braking line. Rewind is also off. The only assist I'll enable is the full race line for those goddamn cross country events. The full racing line can be a little faint to see in the grass, but you can usually make it out. I use the full racing line to point me in the general direction of the next checkpoint. (gently caress cross country races!)

Between the insane payouts (seriously, like 10-15 grand in CR) and the wheel spins when you level up, I don't see the point in unlocking the perks for discounted cars or car upgrades. Since the online races - unless I'm missing something - don't assign championship points finishing positions. Instead, the standings are determined by XP. So for that reason, I went with the 10% XP bonus for XP earned after finishing an event.

To more quickly build up XP and skill chains, I bought the perks for longer skill change duration and the other stunt bonus perks. This also lets me somewhat game the system. If one of the events in an online championship is a sprint or street race that takes place over a long stretch of highway, I'll just buzz every NPC car (counts as a near miss). If you can maintain a super fast, top gear pace, buzz NPC cars, or even better, wedge your way cleanly between two NPC cars (counts as "Threading the Needle"), you can keep a skill chain going for a VERY long time. Doing so let's you build up so much XP that I've been able to top the leader boards in cars that have no business being in the top three.

I also opted for the fast travel anywhere perk. Although, I'm bummed that the perk literally just lets you fast travel anywhere, but not for free. :(

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 6, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Dolemite posted:

I also opted for the fast travel anywhere perk. Although, I'm bummed that the perk literally just lets you fast travel anywhere, but not for free. :(
Yes but if you find all of the bonus boards you can then travel for free anywhere.

I've basically gotten to the point now where I think it'll only be a short time until I have every perk unlocked because now with about 5 minutes of normal driving I can get enough points to unlock another perk point.

If you want to get some seriously high points go to the industrial area that has the GTR bucket list challenge and simply go back and forth getting air everywhere and you can quickly get to the 100k+ pointstreaks and get perk points like candy.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

real_scud posted:

Yes but if you find all of the bonus boards you can then travel for free anywhere.

I've basically gotten to the point now where I think it'll only be a short time until I have every perk unlocked because now with about 5 minutes of normal driving I can get enough points to unlock another perk point.

If you want to get some seriously high points go to the industrial area that has the GTR bucket list challenge and simply go back and forth getting air everywhere and you can quickly get to the 100k+ pointstreaks and get perk points like candy.

Yeah, I'm really not in the mood to find and smash all the perks signs. But, It'll be worth it when I'm feeling lazy. Especially when all I want to do is change cars!

That said, I actually don't mind the drives to the different cities. Since they're connected by long stretches of highway, you can build up some serious skill chains and unlock perks more quickly.

Genius idea about going to that loading dock with the GTR challenge! I remember the challenge was easy to beat if you could find a path that consists of several jumps in a row. Follow the path, get air over 6-7 ramps, then at the end of the run, tug the e-brake and do it again.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Dolemite posted:

What WinnebagoWarrior said. I have yet to see a car that you CAN'T make AWD. But, converting your car to AWD ups your car's PI significantly! Something to consider if you're trying to build a car and stay in a certain class.

Word of caution. If you plan to convert your car to AWD, don't buy any drive train upgrades until after the conversion. When it comes to any kind of swap - engine, aspiration and drive train - all the parts you bought for your engine, any upgraded intercooler/turbo(s) and any upgraded clutches, transmissions, etc. are all removed for each of the respective conversions.

So if you bought a race clutch, race tranny, etc. and later decide to to convert to AWD, guess what? You lose all of your upgrades before the AWD conversion and get to purchase those upgrades again. Learned that one the hard way since I didn't read the fine print in the conversion description box. :/

---

Perks chat. If you turn off almost all the assists and bump up AI difficulty to one notch below "Unbeatable", Horizon still hands out cash like candy! In my case, I get a 75% CR bonus just for having all aids off except ABS and the braking line. Rewind is also off. The only assist I'll enable is the full race line for those goddamn cross country events. The full racing line can be a little faint to see in the grass, but you can usually make it out. I use the full racing line to point me in the general direction of the next checkpoint. (gently caress cross country races!)

Between the insane payouts (seriously, like 10-15 grand in CR) and the wheel spins when you level up, I don't see the point in unlocking the perks for discounted cars or car upgrades. Since the online races - unless I'm missing something - don't assign championship points finishing positions. Instead, the standings are determined by XP. So for that reason, I went with the 10% XP bonus for XP earned after finishing an event.

To more quickly build up XP and skill chains, I bought the perks for longer skill change duration and the other stunt bonus perks. This also lets me somewhat game the system. If one of the events in an online championship is a sprint or street race that takes place over a long stretch of highway, I'll just buzz every NPC car (counts as a near miss). If you can maintain a super fast, top gear pace, buzz NPC cars, or even better, wedge your way cleanly between two NPC cars (counts as "Threading the Needle"), you can keep a skill chain going for a VERY long time. Doing so let's you build up so much XP that I've been able to top the leader boards in cars that have no business being in the top three.

I built up a bunch of skill points by taking the Hennessy Venom up and down that main highway and buzzing cars at 270mph. You'll get constant ultimate speed bonuses at that speed. And the car handles well at top speed. Just be sure to slow down and bank the points before you inevitably crash into a wall.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Dolemite posted:

Genius idea about going to that loading dock with the GTR challenge! I remember the challenge was easy to beat if you could find a path that consists of several jumps in a row. Follow the path, get air over 6-7 ramps, then at the end of the run, tug the e-brake and do it again.
Yep that's it, I could regularly get up to 20k+ with 5, now 6x multiplier and it simply became a case of me getting bored doing the same thing over and over again that actually made me stop and bank the points.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So on the 360 it appears there is an option to purchase the map and unlock the location of all the bonus boards (and it looks like boards are placed differently on 360 vs xbone version). Has anyone seen that as an option on the Xbone version?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
If you get lucky, the golf course cross country race is the best thing I've seen for perk points. Constant shrubbery and jumps and no walls to bump into! You can literally have your combo up for the whole race. My max is 136k :v:

Next time I see it I'm just going to constantly restart the race until I've got all the perks

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

hanyolo posted:

If you get lucky, the golf course cross country race is the best thing I've seen for perk points. Constant shrubbery and jumps and no walls to bump into! You can literally have your combo up for the whole race. My max is 136k :v:

Next time I see it I'm just going to constantly restart the race until I've got all the perks
1. Go to the Airfield in a powerful RWD car.
2. Drift back and forth down the runway.
3. Do a 180.
4. Repeat until bored.

I unlocked all the perks in around 45 minutes, and the extra drift practice never hurts.

And to throw my hat into the wheelspin perk discussion, I did't get any cars before the perk and my highest payout was 20,000cr. After the perk I've spun 5 cars (including the SLS with 220,000cr VIP bonus) and a 110,000cr payout.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Most of the skill point perks just make it easier to get even more skill points; none of them really seem worth having other than fast travel anywhere--and as it's been mentioned, you still have to pay. I guess showing an icon over stuff you need for Horizon Promo might be useful (assuming you care about Horizon promo, which I don't see much of a reason to). It'd be nice if there was one for showing billboards on the minimap

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Most of the skill point perks just make it easier to get even more skill points; none of them really seem worth having other than fast travel anywhere--and as it's been mentioned, you still have to pay. I guess showing an icon over stuff you need for Horizon Promo might be useful (assuming you care about Horizon promo, which I don't see much of a reason to). It'd be nice if there was one for showing billboards on the minimap
I've started to use this video to find the missing bonus boards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunCrFAUhgc

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Are people using sim steering? I found it really hard to not spin out when using sim in the demo.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

The general sentiment I've heard towards sim steering in Forza is that it's fine for wheel users, it's pretty much terrible with a controller. The game automatically limits your steering when you go into a turn on both sim and normal steering, but with sim steering it just leaves you on your own for corrections, and since you have a pretty tiny range of motion on a controller joystick you just end up naturally overcorrecting--since a few millimeters outward has a much bigger effect than the same distance inward (if that makes sense). You also don't get any real benefit from sim steering, unlike other assists where you're generally faster with them turned off.

If you just want a challenge I've found messing with a car's suspension to make the back end lose traction with the slightest movement is more entertaining

real_scud posted:

I've started to use this video to find the missing bonus boards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunCrFAUhgc

Thanks, I'll take a look next time I get on. I honestly like zoning out and just hunting down collectible poo poo in games like this or GTA but given the size of the map and the sparseness of the billboards you'd think they could at least give more of a hint.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I usually use normal steering even on F5 with a wheel. As stated above, sim steering requires very precise corrections while with normal you can correct anything by just whipping the wheel in the other direction.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I use sim steering in F5 with both wheel and controller, if only because I'm too lazy/forgetful to switch it back when I'm not using the wheel. I never even tried normal steering, so it's probably just a matter of what you start with/are comfortable with.

I haven't tried FH2 at all though yet so maybe it's not the same in this game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use normal steering with a wheel. Sim steering is designed to make the steering completely linear along the throw of the analog stick. As soon as sim steering was introduced in fm4 it was found with wheel users to not be linear unless the wheel was dialed down to 270 degrees of rotation. The CEO of fanatec came out calling it "drift steering" rather than simulation steering and recommended that wheel users would have a more realistic experience with "normal"

So I guess what I heard is exactly opposite from what you heard as far as who sim steering is for.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Fun game so far, just checking in so I can sticky the thread and read up. Anyone know of easy ways to get free cars? I'm not paying for that VIP or car pass, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

I use normal steering with a wheel. Sim steering is designed to make the steering completely linear along the throw of the analog stick. As soon as sim steering was introduced in fm4 it was found with wheel users to not be linear unless the wheel was dialed down to 270 degrees of rotation. The CEO of fanatec came out calling it "drift steering" rather than simulation steering and recommended that wheel users would have a more realistic experience with "normal"

So I guess what I heard is exactly opposite from what you heard as far as who sim steering is for.

Hm, I always did the 'Turn on 360 using console button, then launch F4, THEN turn on wheel in desired full range of motion degree mode (I use 720), otherwise it's in 270 mode' method, which seemed to get around the reduced range problems that happened when using the wheel to turn on the system (where I also heard that same statement from Thomas from Fanatec).

But I hadn't read about that the same problem existed in F5 - I haven't paid as much attention to wheel chat for F5 due to there only being the one choice - so you're probably more knowledgeable on the subject.

• Locked thread