Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Driving down to see my sister get married in middle of nowhere, southern Colorado tomorrow. Never thought I'd see the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dumbass Oklahoman Gov. posted:

What has been ignored, however, is the right of Oklahomans – and Americans in every state – to write their own laws and govern themselves as they see fit.

"There's too much government! Every American should be able to govern themselves! Unless we think it's icky and gross and non-traditional!"

I don't understand how something beyond a one-dimensional comic book villain could say something in such blatant contrast to their intent. There is no feasible way to spin "stopping other people from doing a harmless thing I don't like" into "Allowing Americans to write their own laws". :bang:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I think most of the Oklahoma Legislature likes to pretend the Federal Government doesn't exist.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Morter posted:

"There's too much government! Every American should be able to govern themselves! Unless we think it's icky and gross and non-traditional!"

I don't understand how something beyond a one-dimensional comic book villain could say something in such blatant contrast to their intent. There is no feasible way to spin "stopping other people from doing a harmless thing I don't like" into "Allowing Americans to write their own laws". :bang:

When they say limited government they just mean the federal government. They think state governments should be able to do whatever they want as long as the people vote for it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

When they say limited government they just mean the federal government. They think state governments should be able to do whatever they want as long as the people vote for it.

"We are one nation until the nation tries to tell me what to do and then gently caress the nation!"

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Morter posted:

The argument is that the majority of a state should get to decide on how that state's institutions work. I disagree in this case, and think the courts are doing good work here protecting minority rights, but it's not hard to understand being angry when a court overturns a popularly-enacted law you supported.

SSM opponents are wrong, not space aliens.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 6, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think this is a good example of the judicial system working how it's supposed to: protecting minorities from tyranny of the majority.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cythereal posted:

I think this is a good example of the judicial system working how it's supposed to: protecting minorities from tyranny of the majority.

Yeah, that's what they have such a problem with.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, that's what they have such a problem with.

On the other hand maybe I'm taking their argument too much on face value. Nobody really supports minority rights or majority rule as a principle, usually just selectively if it benefits them.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I think it's worth noting that support of same-sex marriage is no longer the minority opinion in the US, at least according to more recent polls. Per wiki -

quote:

A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. In May 2013, a Gallup poll showed that 53% of Americans would vote for a law legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states. Three previous readings over the course of a year consistently showed support at 50% or above. Gallup noted: "Just three years ago, support for gay marriage was 44%. The current 53% level of support is essentially double the 27% in Gallup's initial measurement on gay marriage, in 1996.

I mean sure, polls aren't exactly foolproof, but it's comforting to know it's certainly becoming the norm to support it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I think it's worth noting that support of same-sex marriage is no longer the minority opinion in the US, at least in recent polls.

Not in some states, however, and that's without getting into the whole silent majority thing a lot of conservatives believe in.

My state won't be too much longer, I hope. Tallahassee is hopelessly corrupt and out of touch with the peninsula, but they are decent about seeing which way the wind is blowing.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Not in some states, however, and that's without getting into the whole silent majority thing a lot of conservatives believe in.

My state won't be too much longer, I hope. Tallahassee is hopelessly corrupt and out of touch, but they are decent about seeing which way the wind is blowing.

Ah, that's fair about the individual states, and it's probably where this "they're going against the will of the people!" outrage by conservative governors is coming from.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sharon Baldwin and Mary Bishop, of Smith v. Bishop, about an hour ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ah, that's fair about the individual states, and it's probably where this "they're going against the will of the people!" outrage by conservative governors is coming from.

Florida is probably going to bow to the inevitable - Tallahassee is full of poo poo, but if money isn't involved they're not stubborn about accepting change.

I'm expecting Louisiana or Mississippi to be the last holdout.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cythereal posted:

Florida is probably going to bow to the inevitable - Tallahassee is full of poo poo, but if money isn't involved they're not stubborn about accepting change.

I'm expecting Louisiana or Mississippi to be the last holdout.

Incidentally, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi is gonna have to answer some questions tonight... that's when she faces her Democratic opponent in their one and only televised debate. :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

Incidentally, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi is gonna have to answer some questions tonight... that's when she faces her Democratic opponent in their one and only televised debate. :getin:

Pity I have plans for tonight. This could be fun.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Cythereal posted:

Pity I have plans for tonight. This could be fun.

drat you Bright House! I wanted to watch it. (Only airing in Orlando and Tampa)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

quote:

South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson says he will keep fighting to uphold the state's constitutional ban on gay marriage. Wilson issued a statement Monday hours after the U.S. Supreme Court decided not to hear an appeal of a ruling allowing same-sex marriage by a federal appeals court with jurisdiction over South Carolina. Wilson says no ruling has been made in a lawsuit by a same-sex couple legally married in Washington, D.C., who live in South Carolina. They are asking to overturn the state's gay marriage ban. Wilson says he will keep fighting until there is a ruling in that case.

This sure does sound like a plan.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No unbroken coast to coast chain. No progress on Chef MIMAL. No gay Vegas weddings. At least there should be many photos of overdressed couples in town hall ruining it for the weekday slacker crowd.

Enjoy the horrors of the Buzzfeed map. Curves and subtle colors are for nerds!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

OK tears

quote:

"The people of Oklahoma have the right to determine how marriage is defined. In 2004, Oklahomans exercised that right, voting by a margin of 3-1 to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The will of the people has now been overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one. That is both undemocratic and a violation of states’ rights. Rather than allowing states to make their own policies that reflect the values and views of their residents, federal judges have inserted themselves into a state issue to pursue their own agendas. Today’s decision has been cast by the media as a victory for gay rights. What has been ignored, however, is the right of Oklahomans – and Americans in every state – to write their own laws and govern themselves as they see fit. Those rights have once again been trampled by an arrogant, out-of -control federal government that wants to substitute Oklahoma values with Washington, D.C. values." - Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
States with bans ruled unconstitutional pending appeals: Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, and Idaho.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

States with bans ruled unconstitutional pending appeals: Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, and Idaho.

Texas will be delightful

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Texas would be nice, since it really sucks being a second-class citizen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

.@JessOfRVA is outside Richmond courthouse w/ flowers for anybody getting married today

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Missouri AG won't appeal the ruling to recognize marriages from other states: http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/missouri-must-recognize-same-sex-marriages-granted-elsewhere#p6a7th

:getin:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

katium posted:

Missouri AG won't appeal the ruling to recognize marriages from other states: http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/missouri-must-recognize-same-sex-marriages-granted-elsewhere#p6a7th

:getin:

Honestly this is probably the smartest thing to do if they want to delay marriage equality, forcing something up to the circuit courts is probably just going to do more harm than good at this point if you don't want to see broader recognition.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jkyuusai posted:

drat you Bright House! I wanted to watch it. (Only airing in Orlando and Tampa)

I wonder if they'll be streaming it live on BayNews9.com...

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Texas will be delightful

Texas is most likely going to create the case that gets SCOTUS to make a ruling. The 5th Circuit is conservative as hell and is almost guaranteed to give us the anti-SSM ruling that creates a circuit split. The 5th covers Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, but Texas' case is furthest along, being currently on the 5th Circuit's calendar of upcoming cases.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RollCall posted:

While most Republicans shied away from commenting Monday on the Supreme Court’s historic decision to let stand a slew of lower court rulings legalizing gay marriage, Sen. Ted Cruz torched the court’s decision.

The Texas Republican called the decision “tragic and indefensible” and said he would introduce a constitutional amendment that would ensure states can ban gay marriage.

“By refusing to rule if the States can define marriage, the Supreme Court is abdicating its duty to uphold the Constitution. The fact that the Supreme Court Justices, without providing any explanation whatsoever, have permitted lower courts to strike down so many state marriage laws is astonishing,” he said in a statement.

Oh come on now, even Ted Cruz should know he is trolling too hard with a constitutional amendment.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

With a SCOTUS delay there's a reasonable chance of a marriage ruling right as the 2016 GOP nominee has to shake the Etch-A-Sketch.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Three Olives posted:

Oh come on now, even Ted Cruz should know he is trolling too hard with a constitutional amendment.

For Ted Cruz, there is no such thing. We're taking about a man who read Green Eggs and Ham during a faux filibuster, while missing the entire point of the book, which is meant for children.

I look forward to seeing him try though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

quote:

The people of Oklahoma have the right to determine how marriage is defined.

Isn't this precisely what the courts said isn't true?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ColdPie posted:

Yep. The majority do not have the right to take away the rights of minorities.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ColdPie posted:

Generally it is true, except when the laws infringe on constitutional rights, which trump.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I sometimes wonder what these people expect the courts to do.

"Well this is clearly unconstitutional, but people voted for it so whatever."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rorus Raz posted:

I sometimes wonder what these people expect the courts to do.

Make rulings they agree with.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

.@JessOfRVA is outside Richmond courthouse w/ flowers for anybody getting married today

This is great! I work in downtown Richmond a few blocks from the courthouse and considered going over to look for happy people after work but didn't and now I regret it :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ColdPie posted:

To be fair just because the Supreme Court say it doesn't mean it's true, unless racism really is over.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Wyoming beat a whole bunch of states way less conservative than it.

Anyone know when we can expect to hear from the Ninth Circuit? Oral arguments were almost a month ago. Is there a typical timeline?

Not so fast!

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...96140242b7.html

quote:

Despite action Monday morning from the U.S. Supreme Court that could pave the way for same-sex marriage in Wyoming, Gov. Matt Mead said he will proceed with a state case.

“Today’s decision by the U.S. Supreme Court has no impact on the case before the Wyoming District Court,” Mead said in a statement.

Oklahoma and Utah are part of the Denver-based 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, of which Wyoming is also a part. Gay marriage advocates such as the state's only openly gay lawmaker, Rep. Cathy Connolly, D-Laramie, say that since the 10th Circuit’s ruling that marriage bans violate the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, Wyoming’s ban is also in violation.

Mead, a Republican who is up for re-election Nov. 4, disagrees.

He said the state case, which is before Laramie County District Court Judge Thomas Campbell, needs to move forward. Briefs are due by Nov. 17 and arguments are scheduled for Dec. 15.

“The attorney general will continue to defend Wyoming’s constitution defining marriage between a man and a woman,” Mead said.

Mead is a defendant in the state case, called Courage v. Wyoming. Mead has said he opposes same-sex marriage because of religious beliefs.

In case you were wondering what the Wyoming Constitution says about same-sex marriage, here it is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cythereal posted:

Make rulings they agree with.

We have a winner.

• Locked thread