Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't mind Peter King too much since his website has some pretty quality journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Um that story doesn't involve Peter King so why would he care?

For the low price of $25 American, he and I can pretend he saw me do it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@OmarKelly: It's called holding the Dolphins accountable. Philbin, Tannehill, Hickey, Ross, coordinators don't have to answer to you. They answer to me.

@OmarKelly: I hold them accountable for you because that's MY JOB...You hold me accountable. See how that works?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: It's called holding the Dolphins accountable. Philbin, Tannehill, Hickey, Ross, coordinators don't have to answer to you. They answer to me.

@OmarKelly: I hold them accountable for you because that's MY JOB...You hold me accountable. See how that works?

Who gave this loving idiot press credentials?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:omarcomin:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

BANNED

SORRY BRO GO SOMEWHERE LESS REAL IM KEEPIN THIS TEAM ACCOUNTABLE

Did you people think this was fake? Because this is an actual message from Omar to me when he banned my fake Brandon Marshall account

I told him I had more credibility than he did and I was admitted fake twitter person for a few accounts that harasses him. I hate omar so much.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I only know Omar through the few things I've seen on TFF but he seems a little like sports journalism's real life version of The Onion character Herbert Kornfeld (the "gangsta" accountant at Midstate Office Supply they killed off after they wore out the premise).

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bring back Fake Omar Kelly

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good luck. I think everyone lost the password haha.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Did you people think this was fake? Because this is an actual message from Omar to me when he banned my fake Brandon Marshall account

I told him I had more credibility than he did and I was admitted fake twitter person for a few accounts that harasses him. I hate omar so much.

I thought it was fake. That's hilarious that it isn't.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Even players tell omar to shut the gently caress up. In press conferences.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is there a single decent human being who is a sports journalists or are they all universally underachieving narcissists

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a single decent human being who is a sports journalists or are they all universally underachieving narcissists

D Orlando Ledbetter isn't a huge piece of poo poo, but I don't follow his twitter account. He might tweet about goat-loving in the offseason, who knows?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Katie Nolan torched Rick Reilly on FS1 a while back so she's cool in my book.

Personality wise, it's hard to say, but there are still some good groups out there. Yahoo's investigative journalists did a great job with things like the Univ. of Miami sanctions and the Jerry Sandusky stories. Same for Deadspin who I believe were the first to get to the bottom of the Manti Te'o story.

That said, both employ some pretty annoying personalities as well, but that's basically the norm these days.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would think most Grantland writers are considered sports journalists.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would think most Grantland writers are considered sports journalists.

He asked about people who weren't narcissists

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Depends on whether or not you consider Muth to be a journalist or a fan who journals.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bill Barnwell seems okay :shrug:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Mel Mudkiper posted:

PAWLLLLLLL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

He asked about people who weren't narcissists

Zach Lowe is more of an autist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Zach Lowe spends a significant amount of time awkwardly trying to fire back at people he thinks are being critical of him on twitter, even if they were actually complementing him.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Grantland was mentioned, but I love Chris Brown (not the one that beat up Rihanna) of SmartFootball.com (now posting through Grantland). He is a very in-depth x's and o's guy, not a sports journalist who reports on trades, etc. His Twitter on Saturdays and Sundays is a fantastic compilation of decent takes and analysis of various games being played.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holly Anderson is also a genuinely good and entertaining reporter. Outside of Grantland we're all forgetting TFF favorite Spencer Hall.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I know the rule is to never read TMQ but if I hadn't, I would not have found this gem:

TMQ posted:

That Year 2000 column introduced Stop Me Before I Blitz Again, and also discussed my alternative names for the Washington franchise. Then I was calling the team the Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons. I changed to Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons when readers noted that Baltimore in is the Chesapeake watershed. Plus, I liked associating Dan Snyder's team with the word "drainage."

Lots of people are climbing onto the anti-R*dsk*ns bandwagon now, and welcome aboard. I've been there for 15 years. I wrote a piece for NFL.com in 2004 protesting the R*dsk*ns name, before this became a fashionable cause. The piece contained this phrase: "everyone accepts that the word itself is insulting. Redskin: 'a disparaging term for Native Americans' (American Heritage Dictionary)" and also the word Matwesaso.

Then he goes on about using the Matwesaso and at some point the column devolves into how the private sector would fix infrastructure faster than the public sector does, so pretty par for the course.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
My wife emailed me this, I think it's worth sharing. Addresses the power of the chilling effect that the NFL has on the media.

Mrs. Dirt Worshipper posted:

Maybe you saw this article from Vice, It's Time To Start Boycotting the NFL.

Somehow the story didn't go through Vice's normal publishing channels, and the reporter (a freelancer) got in trouble for being critical of the NFL. After it ran, Vice admin said his news article should have been run by Vice's marketing team first. Obviously that's a big no-no in journalism - there's supposed to be a firewall between editorial content and advertisers. Apparently Vice partners with NFL on some video content, so Vice admin is worried because they published something so critical of the NFL.

The reporter happens to be a freelancer...and the editor who greelit the piece doesn't work at Vice anymore, so all the internal emails are coming out. Pretty fascinating look at the inside workings of Vice.

http://gawker.com/this-is-how-your-vice-media-sausage-gets-made-1641615517

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Just last night, an editor at the New Republic was arguing on Twitter that there was nothing wrong with running stories past the ad sales team to alert them that their precious little clients might be mentioned in stories. Horrifying

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Just last night, an editor at the New Republic was arguing on Twitter that there was nothing wrong with running stories past the ad sales team to alert them that their precious little clients might be mentioned in stories. Horrifying

Hey man, we're trying to run a business here. :suicide:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
John Oliver talking about Native Advertising and the increasingly blurred line between the business and editorial sides of journalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

This thread makes me appreciate my company more and more.

Holy dogballs I would throw a shitfit if I had to do native content/advertorials.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Let's talk about this week's mmqb: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/06/nfl-week-5-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/7/

I'm on my phone so I'll keep it brief, but it's just glaringly obvious that Peter King's main problem as a journalist and reporter is access and laziness. Look at the number of Patriots he talks to for the story--he even gets Vince Wilfork "early this morning." Then contrast that with his coverage of every other team. It's short locker room phone calls, one canned quote and done. It's just crazy how unbalanced he is and it's crazy nobody at SI is bringing this up to him. The man should be SI's AFC East blogger. Not a national columnist.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Patriots blogger not afc east. He never knows about buffalo or Miami because why bother I don't even really like Cuban food

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah that was also meant as a joke about how espn's division bloggers all specialize in a particular team anyway

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that was also meant as a joke about how espn's division bloggers all specialize in a particular team anyway

This.

The NFC South blogger hates Atlanta and I can't stand listening to his big, fat, dumb opinions.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What are you guys talking about?

It's not like Jamison Hemsley lives in Baltimore, attended University of Maryland, and worked for the Baltimore Sun for a decade.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does ESPN still use division level bloggers? I thought every team had a dedicated blogger in lieu of the old division set up?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

This makes me happy for several reasons

quote:

Stayed at a Connecticut hotel Saturday night. Checked in around 6 and turned on the TV to watch the end of Alabama-Ole Miss. During a commercial, I flipped through the 50 channels to see how Nats-Giants was progressing. The TV didn’t have FOX Sports 1. No Nats-Giants then.

After dinner I came back to the room. I didn’t want to miss Cards-Dodgers—not if it was going to be anything like the Friday night masterpiece, one of the best baseball games of the year. I flipped through the channels again. No MLB Network. There was HGTV, SyFy, OWN, WE TV, the Hallmark Movie Channel. But no baseball.

Neither baseball playoff game was on my TV Saturday night. How can Major League Baseball put its showcase games on channels that don’t make the cut on a 50-channel cable system at a hotel?

I like how he mentions the Alabama game but doesn't reference anything special about it, just bitches about not being able to find baseball.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
heft your fat rear end to a bar you lazy gently caress

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

heft your fat rear end to a bar you lazy gently caress

"Eh, Princess Bride was on Bravo, and I only wanted to check the baseball scores on commercial breaks without having to check my MLB iPhone App."

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I'm actually proud or PK for that one. Sure it wasn't about football, but he had like a real, coherent, not-incorrect thought about something and it wasn't spoon-fed to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
To be fair it is a heaping load of bullshit that any MLB playoff game doesn't make the cut to be on one of the major networks

• Locked thread