Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's that Kamen Rider series with Bill Murray where he repeats the same day over and over?

I just saw it on my ABC affiliate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's that Kamen Rider series with Bill Murray where he repeats the same day over and over?

Ryuki?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

WickedHate posted:

Has anyone seen Rescue Force/Fire? The concept seems really great(an emphasis on saving people is really good for superhero stuff) and I'm currently considering becoming a firefighter, so extra appeal.

I've seen all of it and I really enjoyed it. Rescue Force is not too focused on fighting bad guys though, it's more about saving people's lives and stopping disasters. There are monsters in it but there's no MotW and the vehicles are pretty much used primarily for stopping/repairing damage, as there aren't any giant monsters. At first, anyway.

Rescue Fire is still good, but it's a bit different from Rescue Force in that it's a little closer to Sentai, with monsters and the like right from the bat, and the express purpose of Rescue Fire is to fight monsters as opposed to Rescue Force. To some people this was a good thing and thus they enjoy Rescue Fire more.

Unfortunately the only subs I'm aware of are TV-N. The series is still watchable and they didn't seem to put in TOO much untranslated Japanese from what I remember but it's been years since I saw it so I could be wrong, though the standard TV-N annoyances are still there (honorifics and way overproduced subs). Fun to watch is Hiroaki Iwanaga (Date from OOO) as Eiji, the captain in charge of Rescue Force, and Hiroshi Fujioka plays the director of the Rescue Force agency in the movie, as well as making a cameo in the first episode of Rescue Fire.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've seen all of it and I really enjoyed it. Rescue Force is not too focused on fighting bad guys though, it's more about saving people's lives and stopping disasters. There are monsters in it but there's no MotW and the vehicles are pretty much used primarily for stopping/repairing damage, as there aren't any giant monsters. At first, anyway.

Yes, perfect. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love fights and fighting, but there needs to be more "doing good" in superhero stories then just "getting rid of evil".

I will bravely suffer through TVN for this.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
More Drive news

http://www.jefusion.com/2014/09/kamen-rider-drive-new-shift-car.html
http://www.jefusion.com/2014/09/kamen-rider-drive-introducing-majin_25.html

Edit: this too:

"New Tire Exchanges in action! Spin Mixer and Dimension cab. Spin Mixer is a Shift Car based off a cement mixer and gives Kamen Rider Drive the ability to fire continuous cement rocks, this form is called Type Speed Mixer. Dimension Cab is a Shift Car based off a Taxi cab and gives Drive the ability to do teleporting like attacks, this form is called Type Speed Cab."

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drive continues to look so drat goofy.

My hopes remain high. :allears:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Drive continues to look so drat goofy.

My hopes remain high. :allears:

Vegas and Cab in particular are giving me a very Fourze vibe with how they're embracing the gimmick and it's great.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm assuming the Bandai branch that made Drive's gimmick took a look at Gaim's fruit theme and went "pffft, you call THAT silly? Let's make a monster truck themed power. :smuggo:"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm assuming the Bandai branch that made Drive's gimmick took a look at Gaim's fruit theme and went "pffft, you call THAT silly? Let's make a monster truck themed power. :smuggo:"

Dude monster truck is clearly the midseason upgrade no spoilers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Slot machine form, 777, number theme confirmed to continue. :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Literally The Worst posted:

Dude monster truck is clearly the midseason upgrade no spoilers.

No, monster truck is the CGI mode, the midseason upgrade is a tank.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I can dream...

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Fooley posted:

I can dream...

Well, the closest things (so far) are two of the Shift Cars being a dump truck (Rumble Dump) and a steamroller (Rolling Gravity) (as seen here) plus Trideron's alt modes

The Trideron can also utilize Shift Car abilities (as shown with the empty slots in the dashboard) so we might get something terrifying if they combine enough of 'em :)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
Is there a recommended watch list for kuuga?
I ended up skipping to agito because I felt like it was dragging on a bit.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nyarlathotep posted:

I recommend going back and watching episodes 1-24, then skip to 25-49, that should get you through the series without missing the good parts. :cool:

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I recommend going back and watching episodes 1-24, then skip to 25-49, that should get you through the series without missing the good parts. :cool:

Gotcha, skip the whole series then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember a while back I was coming up with fictional Kamen Riders, and two of them were a space themed rider and a car one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nyarlathotep posted:

Kuuga is a show that only has filler in the recap episodes, which certain toku had back in the day for some reason.

Otherwise everything is important-for one reason or another. And it's fights are much better than Agito's tended to be.

Also random thing, but everyone in this thread who likes Kamen Rider

Watch Ultraman Nexus. It is amazing.

Actually if you like toku watch Ultraman Nexus.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nyarlathotep posted:

Gotcha, skip the whole series then.

No that's not it at all! :ohdear: There are a few recaps but otherwise it's all really good. It's a slow burn at times, but the payoff is so worth it if you see all it. Especially the side characters! My favorite scene in the series is between two side characters at the end of the series and it's the resolution to a story that was slowly building over the course of the series. The fights and the main characters are great too, of course.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't seen all of Kuuga's yet, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. The whole series has this dark and gritty feeling with the heavier focus on the deaths that the monsters cause and the police's reactions to them and it's great. The support cast is pretty drat cool too, Ichijo's basically one of the best non-Riders that have ever existed, and what Rinko should have been.

The only bad thing about Kuuga is Kuuga himself. Godai's just...not a very interesting character. Too perfect. Oh he's such a nice guy, and he has so many talents, and he's free like the wind...yeah right. Kinda gets tiring. He's no Tendou, but he's still pretty lame. It's stuff like this that make me glad Kamen Rider series tend to have more than a single Rider, because the leads can be so dang boring at times. That said, if you just focus on how awesome Ichijo is for a guy with no powers whatsoever, the series is really great.

And honestly, I can't blame a Rider series for a bad lead. I can't think of many I preferred to other characters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I feel like this topic has been well worn but I'll restate what I said last time, though perhaps in a manner more tailored to your particular worries. If you feel that Kuuga is dragging because the plot isn't advancing, keep trucking as they go about things fairly quickly and the recurring monsters switch themselves up relatively often. If you feel it is dragging because of poor pacing/editing then just give up because it is NOT going to get better and it is NOT going to be worth it for the series' ending.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah Kuuga's biggest suffering is that it was made with old Eastern directing/editing style. So scenes that should be fairly quick are drawn out and the action scenes are the only thing that feels right.

It's incredibly jarring the first time you see the style especially if you're coming off something like a more recent Rider series where they've been using a more modern Western directing/editing style for a while.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On the note of Kuuga's fight scenes, out side of the bike fights (and there ARE bike fights, best in the franchise) Kuuga's fights are not very...fun.

They're gritty, hard hitting, and raw. As much as any of those can be ascribed to a beetle human weapon thing anyways. Kuuga was not a show that was about flashy bullshit, which is almost paradoxical considering his upgraded forms are literally golden versions of his originals.

It's a show with a message- violence is awful and painful, and power is a horrifying, terrible thing to have, but both are some times, tragically, necessary.

It's part of the reason why I don't think we will EVER see another final fight like what Kuuga had, with the two having a bloody fist fight in the snow until Godai beats the Grongi leader to death with his bare hands.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Jetto Jetto Jettoman

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk what to think until I have some subs in hand, but that was a pretty slick Rider Kick imho

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMjb2LZMCh4 have an OP

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 5, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Rei_ posted:

idk what to think until I have some subs in hand, but that was a pretty slick Rider Kick imho

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMjb2LZMCh4 have an OP

I like it. Very buttrock and upbeat, a very different but still awesome direction from Just Live More.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna need subs to render a final verdict, but I was cackling like a madman during that first fight scene. Holy poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do wish ToQger did a crossover with this as opposed to Gaim. Probably would have fit better.

Also, I expect at least three Vehicle assisted Rider Kicks from this series :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Drive looks amazing, but holy poo poo TQG this week just knocked it out of the park. Plastic Furniture, which we know has been taking a beating recently in tokusatsu shows cane back with a vengence, along with all the Shadow Line stuff coming to a head. It may have some silly suits and some bland, forgettable episodes, but this week was some really great Sentai action.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

I wish these guys hadn't released the anniversary special that aired before the series proper as episode one. I also wish they weren't listening to retards complaining about the font.

The DVDs have that special as episode 1. If Toei calls a thing episode 1, it's probably episode 1.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

The DVDs have that special as episode 1. If Toei calls a thing episode 1, it's probably episode 1.

Boo. Boooooooo. It has gently caress-all to do with anything, it's seriously two minutes of "This is the villain faction" and then it recaps the last nine Sentai series. It's "episode one" in that it aired before the first proper episode but does that really need to be the first thing you translate, a loving clipshow?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Boo. Boooooooo. It has gently caress-all to do with anything, it's seriously two minutes of "This is the villain faction" and then it recaps the last nine Sentai series. It's "episode one" in that it aired before the first proper episode but does that really need to be the first thing you translate, a loving clipshow?

Yup.

Have you heard of a show called Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yup.

Have you heard of a show called Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ?

You know I don't watch anims unless they're specifically about racist stereotype robots and/or toys based on the same.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

You know I don't watch anims unless they're specifically about racist stereotype robots and/or toys based on the same.

This man has the right idea. :colbert:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

(Click for Drive 01 by OT)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looks like we're revving up with a two-parter. Don't know yet if that's the pole position the series is taking or it's just to get the series's engine started. The drift in tone from the opening scenes when compared to the previews is a bit of a whiplash though.

These are easier to make than the fruit puns

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
So I know this is something wrong on my end and not Over-Time's, but I can't figure out what it is. Suddenly all of OT and Aesir's toku releases (I can watch the Nozaki special just fine) are green, triple imaged, and take up only the top half of the screen. I was able to watch them as late as last week but now even stuff that was working fine before looks like that. I've tried reinstalling CCCP but it did no good.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Of course OT releases Drive when I'm in college.

Still, good on them to keep up that Aesir acceleration.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Lobsterman posted:

So I know this is something wrong on my end and not Over-Time's, but I can't figure out what it is. Suddenly all of OT and Aesir's toku releases (I can watch the Nozaki special just fine) are green, triple imaged, and take up only the top half of the screen. I was able to watch them as late as last week but now even stuff that was working fine before looks like that. I've tried reinstalling CCCP but it did no good.

Did you recently update your nvidia video drivers? They're causing a bug with CCCP, hence the problem. Try updating to the latest CCCP beta, that should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Ignis posted:

Did you recently update your nvidia video drivers? They're causing a bug with CCCP, hence the problem. Try updating to the latest CCCP beta, that should fix it.

Oh, yeah, I totally did. Thanks, I'll try that.

Edit: Worked perfectly, thanks Ignis.

Yon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread