Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Cawd Rud posted:

The Amazon Fire TV sounds like a pretty good fit for that.

I'll check it out, ta. I should point out that I'm in Australia, so any of the extra streaming apps or whatever on the Fire are of basically no use to me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'll check it out, ta. I should point out that I'm in Australia, so any of the extra streaming apps or whatever on the Fire are of basically no use to me though.

How about one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JDCO22I?pc_redir=1410606182&robot_redir=1

Like 4 times better than a ouya

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've installed XBMC on an Asus laptop and its connected to my 1080p TV via HDMI. I've gone into Video Settings, adjusted the resolution to 1920x1080, selected HDMI as the default source and clicked "turn off other monitor". Everything works great until I turn off the system and it restarts. When it does restart, XBMC appears all hosed up, appearing cut off and disjointed in only the upper left 25% of the screen. I can see and control part of the menu but everything else is offset. The only way to fix this is to disconnect HDMI, restart so it resets to 1360x768, then redo the video settings and its fine again.

Any idea why this happens or what I can do to get it stick with the resolutions settings on reboot?

A second question is, if my laptop does not have a Wake-On-Lan option in BIOS, am I SOL on trying to turn the laptop on with a remote?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is it possible to use Netflix on XBMC? I have Openelec and Netflix is releasing tomorrow over here.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

Is it possible to use Netflix on XBMC? I have Openelec and Netflix is releasing tomorrow over here.

Reported for not reading the OP.

(J/K)

But anyway:

the OP posted:

Can I get Netflix working via XBMC?
Yes, but you don't really want to. On Windows 7, it requires Silverlight and doesn't function very well. On Windows 8, you can launch the official app but controlling it with a remote will require some work on your part. I don't believe it's supported at all on Linux or OpenELEC. Most people in this thread will tell you to buy a $40 Roku if Netflix is the most important way to stream videos to you, or to use any of the gazillion devices that have Netflix support.

Unless anyone has new information?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Reported for not reading the OP.

(J/K)

But anyway:

Unless anyone has new information?

Oops thanks :D

I stumbled on the NetflixXBMC addon and was wondering if it works?
It is supposed to I think.

quote:

Hi,
this is an add-on for browsing Netflix content via XBMC. Video playback is done via a WebBrowser because of Silverlight DRM.
It works under Windows, OSX and Linux. Linux users need to install Pipelight for video playback. Linux/Pipelight/UserAgent instructions...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

visuvius posted:

I've installed XBMC on an Asus laptop and its connected to my 1080p TV via HDMI. I've gone into Video Settings, adjusted the resolution to 1920x1080, selected HDMI as the default source and clicked "turn off other monitor". Everything works great until I turn off the system and it restarts. When it does restart, XBMC appears all hosed up, appearing cut off and disjointed in only the upper left 25% of the screen. I can see and control part of the menu but everything else is offset. The only way to fix this is to disconnect HDMI, restart so it resets to 1360x768, then redo the video settings and its fine again.

Any idea why this happens or what I can do to get it stick with the resolutions settings on reboot?

A second question is, if my laptop does not have a Wake-On-Lan option in BIOS, am I SOL on trying to turn the laptop on with a remote?

Have you tried running XBMC as a full screen window instead of Full Screen?

There is also an XBMC launcher app that someone recommended in this thread, but I forgot the name of it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Le0 posted:

Oops thanks :D

I stumbled on the NetflixXBMC addon and was wondering if it works?
It is supposed to I think.

I tried using it on my win 7 htpc a while ago and it was horrible. Its just easier for me to switch inputs on my receiver and use Netflix on the PS3

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Lowen SoDium posted:

Have you tried running XBMC as a full screen window instead of Full Screen?

There is also an XBMC launcher app that someone recommended in this thread, but I forgot the name of it.

I've installed it through OpenElec and I don't really even see an option to run it windowed. At this point I'm just leaving the laptop on 24/7 but I would really like to be able to turn the thing off sometimes and have it be okay when it turns back on.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

visuvius posted:

I've installed it through OpenElec and I don't really even see an option to run it windowed. At this point I'm just leaving the laptop on 24/7 but I would really like to be able to turn the thing off sometimes and have it be okay when it turns back on.

Oh, sorry. All my advise was windows centric.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
Have you tried sleeping the laptop instead of shutting it down? We're using an Acer laptop and that has weird issues when it restarts until we open and close the lid, but sleep works fine.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
In the OpenElec version of XBMC, when I press the power down icon, I don't see an option to Hibernate or Sleep. I see Power Off, Reboot and one other option I can't remember now but no sleep. Is the option somewhere else?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

visuvius posted:

In the OpenElec version of XBMC, when I press the power down icon, I don't see an option to Hibernate or Sleep. I see Power Off, Reboot and one other option I can't remember now but no sleep. Is the option somewhere else?

If you are running Openelec from a USB stick you can't sleep. They purposely removed this option.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Bonzo posted:

I tried using it on my win 7 htpc a while ago and it was horrible. Its just easier for me to switch inputs on my receiver and use Netflix on the PS3

Oh okay, what I guessed... I have a PS3 actually so I might do it like that.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Dsmif posted:

If you are running Openelec from a USB stick you can't sleep. They purposely removed this option.

Ahh okay then that must be it. I guess I'll try to install it on top of Windows.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 19, 2014

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

DarkSol posted:

I did, but its wouldnt save my configs and couldnt get sound to work.

Please post about it if you ever solve this problem with not getting sound from retroarch.

I was able to get sound to work, but in a really janky way. The details escape me, but basically I had to set XBMC to release the sound card after a period of inactivity, and then if I launched the emulator from the command line, sound would work. It would be much nicer to not have to wait for the timeout and simply launch it from the menu like a normal plug-in.

That, combined with my 360 controller disconnecting and the flashing lights discouraged me from pursuing it, but I'm all ears if there's an easy answer out there.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Fillerbunny posted:

Please post about it if you ever solve this problem with not getting sound from retroarch.

I was able to get sound to work, but in a really janky way. The details escape me, but basically I had to set XBMC to release the sound card after a period of inactivity, and then if I launched the emulator from the command line, sound would work. It would be much nicer to not have to wait for the timeout and simply launch it from the menu like a normal plug-in.

That, combined with my 360 controller disconnecting and the flashing lights discouraged me from pursuing it, but I'm all ears if there's an easy answer out there.

Actually, I did get it figured out, but I had to guess at what ALSA settings to use.

Turns out mine was hw:1,7, but your milage may vary.

And I think I was getting impatient with the saving bit. I was hitting "save config", but didn't realize that escaping out of Retroarch was saving to the default config.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hey guys, xbmc uses bash, which means it's vulnerable to the new shellshock exploit.

Please for the love of god keep an eye out for a patch to this and patch it ASAP.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nam Taf posted:

Hey guys, xbmc uses bash, which means it's vulnerable to the new shellshock exploit.

Please for the love of god keep an eye out for a patch to this and patch it ASAP.

Anything we can do to mitigate risk in the meantime? What are the attack vectors? Blocking ports on the firewall, deny access to the internet for the entire application?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nam Taf posted:

You have XBMC accepting incoming connections from outside your LAN? If so you should probably rethink your approach to computing.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Just upgraded to the new 4.2 version of OpenELEC, and now my lightpack isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

DarkSol posted:

Just upgraded to the new 4.2 version of OpenELEC, and now my lightpack isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'll be updating shortly - I'll see if I run into the same issue as you.

I'm spoiled by Lightpack.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Webbeh posted:

I'll be updating shortly - I'll see if I run into the same issue as you.

I'm spoiled by Lightpack.

If you don't have any issues, could I grab your config? For some reason, whenever boblight tries to run, it tries to run off of ttyACM0, even when it is set to ttyUSB0.

Edit: Downgrading didn't fix it, and I've been talking with the main OpenELEC devs about it too. I'm wondering if it is a boblight issue and not an OpenELEC issue. I'm using the same config that I've used in the past, and worked... and its not working now. :saddowns:

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 28, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

r0ck0 posted:

Anything we can do to mitigate risk in the meantime? What are the attack vectors? Blocking ports on the firewall, deny access to the internet for the entire application?

If someone has the ability to enter bash commands into your system you have bigger things to worry about.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

DarkSol posted:

If you don't have any issues, could I grab your config? For some reason, whenever boblight tries to run, it tries to run off of ttyACM0, even when it is set to ttyUSB0.

Edit: Downgrading didn't fix it, and I've been talking with the main OpenELEC devs about it too. I'm wondering if it is a boblight issue and not an OpenELEC issue. I'm using the same config that I've used in the past, and worked... and its not working now. :saddowns:

Doesn't seem to be working for me either.

Logs aren't showing anything.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I upgraded OpenELEC to 4.2 and now Trakt isn't working again. I hate this plugin :(

Edit: got it working again by uninstalling and reinstalling it, same settings but oh well!

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Scratch that - restarting OpenELEC fixed Lightpack. Woo!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Webbeh posted:

Scratch that - restarting OpenELEC fixed Lightpack. Woo!

I figured it out and I was doing something so boneheaded. There are two locations of boblightd.conf. I was editing the wrong one. :saddowns:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

YouTuber posted:

If someone has the ability to enter bash commands into your system you have bigger things to worry about.

From my understanding, that's not really how it works. The risk is that if you are using some software that relies on passing user supplied data via environment variables (like CGI scripts) then arbitrary commands can be injected into these environment variables. You don't need shell access to perform the attack.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

fletcher posted:

From my understanding, that's not really how it works. The risk is that if you are using some software that relies on passing user supplied data via environment variables (like CGI scripts) then arbitrary commands can be injected into these environment variables. You don't need shell access to perform the attack.

This is true, but it still relies on your XBMC machine exposing itself outside of your local network - like if you were hosting a web server on it, or for some reason decided to open up XBMC's web services to the outside. Which is dumb, and I think his real point.

Not that there aren't people doing it I am sure.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ixian posted:

This is true, but it still relies on your XBMC machine exposing itself outside of your local network - like if you were hosting a web server on it, or for some reason decided to open up XBMC's web services to the outside. Which is dumb, and I think his real point.

Not that there aren't people doing it I am sure.

Probably plenty of them. And probably plenty of people reading this thread who are now scratching their head and going "Surely, my router blocks that. Or does it?"

As I understand it, if running xbmc on Linux, patching Bash should take care of it, right? Whatever distro has surely issued an update by now.
If running openElec, I guess you'd have to wait for a patch from the developers?
Windows should be safe, right?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Probably plenty of them. And probably plenty of people reading this thread who are now scratching their head and going "Surely, my router blocks that. Or does it?"

As I understand it, if running xbmc on Linux, patching Bash should take care of it, right? Whatever distro has surely issued an update by now.
If running openElec, I guess you'd have to wait for a patch from the developers?
Windows should be safe, right?

You'd have to explicitly set up a rule on a router/firewall to forward web or other traffic from outside your network to your XBMC box. If you've done that, as someone said earlier, you have bigger problems.

Windows is safe unless you are have Cygwin with BASH installed (it's one of those things where if you do, you'll know), and even then there's not a lot of evidence a Windows system is exploitable that way.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 3, 2014

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Nah, they use busybox.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I feel like I'm missing something obvious because I am a big dumb moron.

I made a custom home menu item. Most of it is pretty straightforward, but under Default Select Action I can't find the option to do what I want. Basically, when the menu item is selected it should display the files in a specific source folder (since they aren't tv shows or movies, just videos from Giant Bomb), like you'd see if you navigated to that same folder with the Files view.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyway to get gifs working in xbmc? I've already tried this and it didn't work.

quote:

This might break non-animated gifs, but you can turn animated-gif support on by creating a plain text file called advancedsettings.xml and saving it in your userdata folder with the following:

code:
<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
  <add>.gif</add>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

edit: this is on windows

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the best bang for the buck simple xbmc box on the market right now ? Got a friend who uses xbmc off her laptop through hdmi to her tv and is always having issues. Going to get her a better solution for her birthday.

There are some Pivos models, and these Minix Neo Arm Cortex A9 based devices over at Ncix
http://www.ncix.com/category/media-players-7d-1331.htm

Amazon.ca have a few devices,
Fire TV
Various G-Box android devices
Some "Armada MAch 8 fastest xbmc device in the world"

She will likely be playing media from a usb harddrive.

Any suggestions ? I need to order by tonight, although i'm in Vancouver right now so I can pickup from ncix directly. Amazon.ca will be a couple days to ship.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

What is the best bang for the buck simple xbmc box on the market right now ? Got a friend who uses xbmc off her laptop through hdmi to her tv and is always having issues. Going to get her a better solution for her birthday.

There are some Pivos models, and these Minix Neo Arm Cortex A9 based devices over at Ncix
http://www.ncix.com/category/media-players-7d-1331.htm

Amazon.ca have a few devices,
Fire TV
Various G-Box android devices
Some "Armada MAch 8 fastest xbmc device in the world"

She will likely be playing media from a usb harddrive.

Any suggestions ? I need to order by tonight, although i'm in Vancouver right now so I can pickup from ncix directly. Amazon.ca will be a couple days to ship.

Normally I'd say the FireTV by a mile but USB storage means you'd have to root it, then stop updates, and basically do a bunch of poo poo that your friend probably isn't going to want to do or keep up with. The rest of the Android devices out there are pretty firmly in tweaker hell; you might want to wait for the new Google TV thing though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Nah, the android boxes are pretty set it forget after a good initial setup. Get a quad core based one, either Rk3188 or S802. Don't get gbox bullshit, its dual core crap. MINIX is just a popular (over priced) brand for these boxes. Get an M8 if its s802, or a Cs968 if its rk3188.

You can get a cs968 for like 77 on amazon with prime. M8 is a bit more.

Edit: get a cs968 and I can walk you through exactly what you need to do to make it fucktastically awesome.

Edit2: this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FDOPNT6?cache=10f0b10cfaf906f80d99e37008683c9f&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1412645086&sr=8-4#ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 7, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wait for actual android tv devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Use plex. I find it to be best for anyone that needs stuff like this set up for them and almost everyone has a small PC somewhere that can run the server.