Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Minor thing, but wouldn't this effectively make resistances into outright immunities?

The idea is that the attack would still do damage as normal per the resistance, but it wouldn't auto-kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Running away to grind low-level mobs until you can one-shot the boss is lauded as a triumph of verisimilitude, but building balanced encounters is a video-gamey reality warp.

It's kind of like the guy who wants to bring 8000 points of orks to a 1500 point Warhammer game because "that's how they really would attack!" And yeah, that's possibly true, but it's not fun, fair, or how games are expected to be run.

XP budget is basically D&D's "points limit." A DM should be ideally able to glance at his second level party, and come up with an approximately equal force to fairly challenge them with. That's flatly not happening.

Now here's the thing: it doesn't always need to follow the supporting math. Sometimes the math will tell you that a particular combination of traits is worth fifty points, but the unit just totally owns bones and playtests like a 100 point unit. So you price it in that range.

But that's not what Next has done. They omitted or ignored the actual testing, and the points costs are totally dicked up. They STARTED at tummy-feel adjustments instead of skewing calculated values based on performance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Claiming it's ok because you just improvise is the same godawful cop out that Mearls did with stealth rules. Only in this loving game would "the rules are lovely" somehow equate to "...on PURPOSE, so you IMPROVISE, it's all by design!" Anywhere else "the rules are lovely" means "the rules are lovely."

They didn't make the monster rules this grand secret technique to ensure DMs would learn not to rely on the rules and go by feel. They just hosed up and made bad rules.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Claiming it's ok because you just improvise is the same godawful cop out that Mearls did with stealth rules. Only in this loving game would "the rules are lovely" somehow equate to "...on PURPOSE, so you IMPROVISE, it's all by design!" Anywhere else "the rules are lovely" means "the rules are lovely."

They didn't make the monster rules this grand secret technique to ensure DMs would learn not to rely on the rules and go by feel. They just hosed up and made bad rules.

The most offensive thing about CR is that it exists at all. Really.

Consider that in AD&D you had this huge rear end monster manual, and the only thing that really informed you as to what was appropriate or inappropriate for your party to face was HD. HD were then (and now) a lovely metric for how strong a monster is anyhow, so it was mostly blind guesswork. What AD&D did correctly is that it didn't really try to tell you that monster of HD level X was the same challenge for a party as any other monster of HD level X. You pretty much had to read each monster and judge each encounter manually. It was tedious, but there wasn't another obfuscating system on top of it that actively lied to you about the terrible meat-grinder encounter you had accidentally constructed.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I think my favorite example of CR being a poo poo metric was the notorious CR 3 Giant Crab.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rhjamiz posted:

I think my favorite example of CR being a poo poo metric was the notorious CR 3 Giant Crab.

Mine too! It's just so hilariously deadly.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That drat Crab. Good times. Goooood times.

A CR-type system is a good idea--it just needs to, y'know, work. And not lie.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mendrian posted:

The most offensive thing about CR is that it exists at all. Really.

Consider that in AD&D you had this huge rear end monster manual, and the only thing that really informed you as to what was appropriate or inappropriate for your party to face was HD. HD were then (and now) a lovely metric for how strong a monster is anyhow, so it was mostly blind guesswork. What AD&D did correctly is that it didn't really try to tell you that monster of HD level X was the same challenge for a party as any other monster of HD level X. You pretty much had to read each monster and judge each encounter manually. It was tedious, but there wasn't another obfuscating system on top of it that actively lied to you about the terrible meat-grinder encounter you had accidentally constructed.
The AD&D 1E MM did have a challenge rating system - each monster was rated 1-10 on its difficulty, measured in roman numerals. Kobolds were I and Pit Fiends were X. It didn't really work, and it was based on Gygax eyeballing the monster stats and saying "yeah, that looks like about a VII", but it was there.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Rhjamiz posted:

Can I get some info on the crab? I've heard of it, but not exactly what made it so deadly, and I do like badly CR'd things.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

ritorix posted:

Running away doesn't work because 5e combat is rocket tag. Tag, you're already unconscious. You can get back up again just as quick but if the party decides to run they will leave people to die.

What these games need is a "con" system like mmos have. A mechanic to tell ahead of time "this thing will kick our rear end." In video games they literally get a skull icon or names in red text. Having that would require valid CR levels.

3.5e Complete Adventurer posted:

Assess Opponent: As a standard action, you can use Sense Motive to ascertain how tough a challenge an opponent poses for you, based on your level and your opponent's CR. This skill check is opposed by the opponent's Bluff check. To attempt this task, your opponent must be visible to you and within 30 feet. If you have seen the opponent in combat, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.

The accuracy of the assessment depends on the amount by which your Sense Motive check result exceeds the opposed Bluff check result. On a successful Sense Motive opposed check, you can gain the following information:

pre:
Opponent's CR				Assess Opponent Result
4 or more less than your level/HD	A pushover
1, 2, or 3 less than your level/HD	Easy
Equal to your level/HD			A fair fight
Equal to your level/HD plus 1, 2, or 3	A tough challenge
Exceeds your level/HD by 4 or more	A dire threat
A successful assessment reveals that your foe belongs in one of two adjacent categories (for example, "Easy" or "A fair fight"). If your Sense Motive check result exceeds the opposed Bluff check result by 10 or more, you can narrow the result down to a single category.

By contrast, if the target's Bluff check result equals or slightly exceeds your Sense Motive check result, you gain no useful information. If the target's Bluff check result exceeds your Sense Motive check result by 5 or more, you may (at the DM's option) gain a false impression, believing your opponent to be much stronger or weaker than he really is (equal chance of either). If the target's Bluff check result exceeds your Sense Motive check result by 10 or more, your assessment is off by at least two categories (for example, a dire threat might be assessed as a fair fight).

Special: The Combat Intuition feat grants a +4 bonus on Sense Motive checks made to assess opponents. It also enables you to narrow your assessment of your opponent's combat capabilities to a single category. Finally, it allows you to accomplish this task as a free action.

An opponent that is particularly vulnerable to your typical attack routine (for example, a vampire facing a high-level cleric of Pelor) registers as one category less challenging; one who is resistant to your typical attack routine (for example, a golem opposing a rogue who relies heavily on sneak attacks) registers as one category more challenging.

Try Again: You can use this skill on a different opponent each round.

3.5e Complete Adventurer posted:

Combat Intuition
Your keen understanding of your opponent's moves and your instinctive feel for the flow of combat enable you to shrewdly assess your opponent's combat capabilities.
Prerequisite: Sense Motive 4 ranks, base attack bonus +5.
Benefit: As a free action, you can use Sense Motive to assess the challenge presented by a single opponent in relationship to your own level/Hit Dice (see the assess opponent option under the Sense Motive skill). You gain a +4 bonus on such checks and narrow the result to a single category.
In addition, whenever you make a melee attack against a creature that you made a melee attack against during the previous round, you gain a +1 insight bonus on your melee attack rolls against that creature.
Special: A fighter may select Combat Intuition as one of his fighter bonus feats.

3.5e Player's Handbook II posted:

Vatic Gaze
Your arcane studies have brought forth your nascent talent to sense magical auras and the power that others are capable of wielding.
Prerequisite: Arcane caster level 9th.
Benefit: You can use detect magic at will.
Also, as a swift action, you can attempt to determine an opponent's spellcasting ability. You make a Sense Motive check (DC 5 + target's caster level). If this check succeeds, you learn the highest-level spells the target is capable of casting. This benefit grants you no insight into spell-like or supernatural abilities.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Check out those cool feats no one has anywhere near enough resources to take!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Can I get some info on the crab? I've heard of it, but not exactly what made it so deadly, and I do like badly CR'd things.

Okay. You only encounter it on a shoreline, where it attacks out of the water from ambush. It's a huge creature with decent AC and HP, and the ability to grapple medium-sized creatures with one claw. And it had a absolutely ridiculous grapple check. Also, it's type is Vermin, so it's immune to wide swaths of spells that might slow it down.

So, it's entire actions would be:

Round 1: From ambush, grapple someone squishy.
Round 2: Grab someone else coming to rescue their friend with it's other claw.
Round 3: Retreat into the ocean to consume it's prey at leisure.

And that's how you kill half the party with a single CR 3 critter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I lost a level 9 Fighter to that loving crab. The grapple check was too much for me to break, and I got to watch helplessly as my character died over the course of turns.

3x was a bad game. I don't know why anyone wants to keep its shittiest nether-pits alive.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

IT BEGINS posted:

Then why list CR at all? Just pick the monster you want, then read it and see if it's fitting for your party and players.

The point of CR is that in a good CR system, a monster of X CR will provide players of level X some equal level of challenge at all levels. It doesn't mean a CR 10 has to provide a level 10 party with an extremely challenging encounter', just that it provide a similar level of challenge as a CR 14 provides a level 14 party.

Edit: I just don't think it's too much to ask that the Giant Crabs situation doesn't happen again.

I think this was it?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
So on this subject of combat difficulty, I ran our first 5e session yesterday, HotDQ with 5 PCs. On the very first round on the first combat encounter the enemies ended up rolling so well, and the PCs so poorly, that into the 2nd round I was preparing for a possible TPK and deciding exactly what adjustments I'd make to that fight after hitting the "let's start this campaign over" button. The group pulled it out, but between our two casters 3 level one spell slots were blown, and there was a lot of damage still carried by the group as a whole. For those of you familiar with the first scene of that module, you can appreciate how much I had to stay on eggshells for continuing their evening. Eventually they returned to the keep after a couple missions and I did a one-two punch of doling out XP they earned up to that point (to the best of my abilities for knowing how to do the math on it) and it just eeked them into level 2, so I told them if they took a short rest it would count as a long rest that they could also do their level up stuff so that they could finish the remaining 2/3 of that scene as freshly minted 2nd level PCs. It was the only way I could see them continuing on the scene and not just cutting it short with a long rest right then and there.

I've been a player and GM in roughly equal measures since the 90s and can certainly improvise, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to step in like this by the first 3 pages of a flagship campaign module. We still had fun and it did lend a certain degree of tension to the rest of the fights for that session, but my god. Saying this as someone who has mostly played in Rolemaster, the one with those crazy lethal crit tables a couple pages back (and seriously it can be a very fun and engaging style of play): those HotDQ fights are swingy as poo poo.

So doing the math on that first encounter: Eight kobolds at 1/8 CR = 25 XP each. x8 = 200 XP. Use "Gang (7-10 monsters)" multiplier of 2.5x = 500 xp. For a group of level 1 adventurers, it is off the charts deadly, which I will happily corroborate. Even with NPCs soaking some hits, eight attackers with good +hit and doing d4+2 damage is pure murder on fresh 1st level PCs if the dice go even a little wrong. But again, however deadly against 1st level PCs, following their system yields that eight kobolds remains a "deadly" encounter for parties up to level 4. I somehow doubt that. Even if you just gave a 1st level party the health pools of their 4th level selves and no other advantage I imagine that fight would become immediately trivial.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Ratoslov posted:

Okay. You only encounter it on a shoreline, where it attacks out of the water from ambush. It's a huge creature with decent AC and HP, and the ability to grapple medium-sized creatures with one claw. And it had a absolutely ridiculous grapple check. Also, it's type is Vermin, so it's immune to wide swaths of spells that might slow it down.

So, it's entire actions would be:

And after the fight I guess the party might be a little bit crabby.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

So were any of those actually a good system in the context of 3.5?

One of these days I'm going to run a pbp and just color code the monsters.

Ratoslov posted:

Adding insult to injury by forcing them to interact with the 3.x grapple system.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

So wait, 4 orcs aren't a Deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs? How many orcs are a Deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs? What about if they're Hobgoblins instead?

Tell me, what can they do with multipliers and so on that will make the hosed CR/XP system they already published actually work?

While you're at it, please explain to us how the system will handle stuff that gets better when there's more of it (like the Hobgoblin) as opposed to things that don't get better near allies (like the Orc).

Sorry I made a mistake in my post. I mean when it's a mix of CR's like say a Mind Flayer and 4 Grimlocks. The multiplier will double the xp budget despite the fact that the grimlocks are not that threatening at that stage when compared to the mindflayer. It pretty much puts the cost too high. Preventing you from using Decently high cr monsters with lower cr monsters.

This is what I think needs some work.

Anyway ritorix do you have the full image of the guard drake or know were it is? It would be very helpful if you did.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 6, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway ritorix do you have the full image of the guard drake or know were it is? It would be very helpful if you did.

Yep its in the pdf of the encounters version of HODQ. You can download it from the adventurer's league site right here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

So when you said

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only thing I think that needs some work is how the multipliers are calculated. Because the multiplier gets too high despite the fact its not going to be as deadly as it says it would be.

I should have known you meant

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sorry I made a mistake in my post. I mean when it's a mix of CR's like say a Mind Flayer and 4 Grimlocks. The multiplier will double the xp budget despite the fact that the grimlocks are not that threatening at that stage when compared to the mindflayer. It pretty much puts the cost too high. Preventing you from using Decently high cr monsters with lower cr monsters.

This is what I think needs some work.

Because if I had, that would have invalidated my comment of

AlphaDog posted:

So wait, 4 orcs aren't a Deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs? How many orcs are a Deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs? What about if they're Hobgoblins instead?

Tell me, what can they do with multipliers and so on that will make the hosed CR/XP system they already published actually work?

While you're at it, please explain to us how the system will handle stuff that gets better when there's more of it (like the Hobgoblin) as opposed to things that don't get better near allies (like the Orc).

Because what you really meant is that 4 orcs are a deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs and that there's literally no problem with the encounter building system except for that.

Is that right? Or are you just trying to change what we're talking about so you're not completely wrong?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For me, the champion of 3.x's CR system is either the neigh unkillable CR3 Shadow that flies and phases through walls, attacks your strength, and spawns more shadows with each kill...

...Or the equally neigh unkillable CR3 Allip that's also incorporeal that has an automatic SoD that fires off at everything once the fight starts and attacks your wisdom.

Because unlike the Crab, those were both straight put in the core game.

...What the gently caress was going on with CR3?

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Don't forget Wights that had Level drain if they hit you. I think they were also CR3. In fact, anything that had Level drain made CR worthless as a guage because as soon as it took affect, guess what? The encounter is suddenly more dangerous in difficulty! I hated level and ability drain, I haven't noticed, is it gone from 5E like it was in 4E? (My tummy feels tell me "no")

Edit: Seriously, Level/Ability drain was worse than SoD effects because one outright kills you and the other makes your character as useful as a sack of bricks while not killing you in the process. Just kill my character so I can roll up a new one, not stick me with Iron Lungs McGee.

Agent Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 7, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

ritorix posted:

So were any of those actually a good system in the context of 3.5?

For one feat and a bunch of skill points on a skill that's cross-class for all but four of the core eleven classes, plus another feat that requires an arcane caster level and thus narrows it down to one of the core classes (the bard) you gain the ability to only sometimes determine if you're not in a fair fight according to a system that is frequently incapable of adequately gauging that fight (see: giant enemy crab, other parts of CR 3). The first use requires a standard action or a feat to make it actually useable compared to "shoot it and find out), while the second requires a swift action which may or may not be more useful when spent towards actually ending the fight. If you do manage to use it reliably, it all comes down to what your results are- a majority of on-level or lower fights mean that you wasted the feat, while a majority of difficult fights means that you're doomed anyways. Should the fights be the usual mix of easy, medium and hard fights, you've got a feat that only tells you to run one in every ten fights or so (assuming the high CR opponent doesn't have a ton of ranks in bluff to go with its high HD and thus have better odds of fooling you). You've just spent feats on the ability to say "yup, that's a fight" by having your character tummyfeel the situation instead of the player; feats that could be better used on stuff that actually helps you fight those fights.

It's 3e as gently caress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Don't forget Wights that had Level drain if they hit you. I think they were also CR3. In fact, anything that had Level drain made CR worthless as a guage because as soon as it took affect, guess what? The encounter is suddenly more dangerous in difficulty! I hated level and ability drain, I haven't noticed, is it gone from 5E like it was in 4E? (My tummy feels tell me "no")

It's gone except in one instance. The Shadow can still drain strength until you have a long rest.

AlphaDog posted:

Because what you really meant is that 4 orcs are a deadly encounter for 4 level 2 PCs and that there's literally no problem with the encounter building system except for that.

Is that right? Or are you just trying to change what we're talking about so you're not completely wrong?

Despite your opinion of me and my original post. What I said in my 2nd post is what I meant from the start. I was not talking about the Orcs being a deadly challenge. I think the encounter buildings main problem is that the multiplier does not really work well for creatures when their is a decent difference in CR between them. A gang of 5 CR 1's should not double the difficultly xp value of a Cr 10 if their encountered together. As The CR 1's would bearly be any threat.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intellect devourers can set your intelligence to zero when they're not doing their SOD, stunning you until this damage is reduced or removed (I think the easiest way to do that is Greater Restoration?).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Despite your opinion of me and my original post. What I said in my 2nd post is what I meant from the start. I was not talking about the Orcs being a deadly challenge. I think the encounter buildings main problem is that the multiplier does not really work well for creatures when their is a decent difference in CR between them. A gang of 5 CR 1's should not double the difficultly xp value of a Cr 10 if their encountered together. As The CR 1's would bearly be any threat.

So say what you actually mean instead of something different, and nobody will be able to "misinterpret" you.

I'm still waiting for your response to the parts of that post that can't be brushed off by telling me what you would have said if only you'd said what you meant.

The Crotch posted:

Intellect devourers can set your intelligence to zero when they're not doing their SOD, stunning you until this damage is reduced or removed (I think the easiest way to do that is Greater Restoration?).

I'm sure he really meant to say was "shadows and intellect devourers", so it's just like that's what he said and you're just being a dick by not acknowledging that.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

CR 2 Intellect Devourers :negative:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

So say what you actually mean instead of something different, and nobody will be able to "misinterpret" you.

I'm still waiting for your response to the parts of that post that can't be brushed off by telling me what you would have said if only you'd said what you meant.

I'm sure he really meant to say was "shadows and intellect devourers", so it's just like that's what he said and you're just being a dick by not acknowledging that.

I made a mistake when I wrote it as I said. I was sure I had put a mention about my issue with widely different CR's in there. I did not as I found out when you quoted me.

I did not mention Intellect Devourers because they don't really count as doing ability damage like a shadow.

Here is how their save or die works.

quote:

Devour Intellect. The intellect devourer targets one creature
it can see within 10 feet of it that has a brain. The target must
succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw against this
magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure,
roll3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence
score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it
regains at least one point of Intelligence.

They don't actually take Int damage from the 2nd part there is just a 2nd roll to see if the die roll is higher then the Int of the target. If the roll is higher Int is reduced to 0 and the target is stunned. However if the number is not high enough it does not do anything. Because another thing about the save or die the Int devouerer does is that it has 2 checks before it succeeds which makes it better then most save or dies already.

With a Shadow the hits it does drain your strength.

On your

quote:

I don't have an answer here. I don't know. I don't think it will get that much better on that front other then using some sense. I was just saying I hope the building encounters thing improves with the DMG and remarked that it was noted that it was still under work. Then I pointed out a problem I have with it, but I made a mistake with my post and forgot to incurred the thing that made my point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 7, 2014

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is how their save or die works.

They don't actually take Int damage from the 2nd part there is just a 2nd roll to see if the die roll is higher then the Int of the target. If the roll is higher Int is reduced to 0 and the target is stunned. However if the number is not high enough it does not do anything. Because another thing about the save or die the Int devouerer does is that it has 2 checks before it succeeds which makes it better then most save or dies already.

oh, so it's actually an "almost" guaranteed death sentence for anyone not a wizard rather then a guaranteed death sentence for anyone not a wizard. Ah Yes, good ol' CR2 save-or-dies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimpond posted:

CR 2 Intellect Devourers :negative:

A single one is not that threatening they have no way of knowing which member of the party has the lowest int. It's not a primary or secondary stat for any class other then the wizard so all characters will have it entirely based on preference for a tertiary stat. The thing has no way of knowing if the two armored guys are smarter then the robed guys in the back if neither of them is a wizard. Not that it can tell who is wearing what due to being blind and relying on blindsense. Combined with the fact that you get two saves chances and the thing as very little hp and it will likely die before it can take down a party member in a party of four at level 2.

The Crotch posted:

The save or die is the set your int to zero. The thing that kills you can only be used on creatures they devoured the intellect of. (Or have been incapacitated in some way.)

Grimpond posted:

oh, so it's actually an "almost" guaranteed death sentence for anyone not a wizard rather then a guaranteed death sentence for anyone not a wizard. Ah Yes, good ol' CR2 save-or-dies.

Not really as I mentioned. Hell someone did the math

guy who did the math posted:

Int 8: 60% fail 84% fail (50% death)
Int 9: 60% fail, 74% fail (44% death)
Int 10:55% fail, 63% fail (38% death)
Int 11: 55% fail, 50% fail (28% death)
Int 12: 50% fail, 38% fail (21% death)
Int 13: 50% fail, 26% fail (13% death)
Int 14: 45% fail, 16% fail (8% death)
Int 15: 45% fail, 9% fail (4% death)
Int 16: 40% fail, 5% fail (2% death)
Int 17: 40% fail, 2% fail (1% death)
Int 18: 35% fail, 0.5% fail (0.5% death)

As long as you have say 12 int it's not that much of a threat.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 7, 2014

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

The chance of failure for a fighter who dumped int to 8 is still ~50% (60% chance of rolling a 12 or lower, which with a -1 Modifier will fail the save, and then a 83.8% chance to fail the "3d6 roll lower than 8"). The second roll's chance of succeeding on a character with 8 int is so high it doesn't help much. It's still ~34% with 10 int, too, and both are pretty bad considering that that's the going to be the chance for a level 2 or level 20 fighter to be taken out of the fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RPZip posted:

The chance of failure for a fighter who dumped int to 8 is still ~50% (60% chance of rolling a 12 or lower, which with a -1 Modifier will fail the save, and then a 83.8% chance to fail the "3d6 roll lower than 8"). The second roll's chance of succeeding on a character with 8 int is so high it doesn't help much. It's still ~34% with 10 int, too, and both are pretty bad considering that that's the going to be the chance for a level 2 or level 20 fighter to be taken out of the fight.

Yes but the Fighter may not have dumped Int it could have been the warlock in the back who did. He does not need it anymore then the Fighter does. Anyway I know the math as I just posted a chart. (Plus I am the type of guy that never likes to have a -1 stat.)

Pretty much it's only a huge threat if the target is stupid and it has no way of knowing who is stupid. Logicaly it should attack whoever is closest instead of the person who is dumbest. While the may be the same person sometimes a monster is just deadly to certain things. This is no more deadly then an Ogre hitting a level 2 caster on the head

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 7, 2014

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes but the Fighter may not have dumped Int it could have been the warlock in the back who did. He does not need it anymore then the Fighter does. Anyway I know the math as I just posted a chart. (Plus I am the type of guy that never likes to have a -1 stat.)

Oh, so it's okay because "some" fighters may not dump int or simply have it at 10 and because "you" prefer not to roll with a -1. That makes everything okay!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I also think it's ridiculous that you have to improv in the idea that a monster that eats brains somehow can't sense them well enough to know who has the larger one. It doesn't make any sense in-universe but is absolutely necessary to not just instantly murder the party.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty much it's only a huge threat if the target is stupid and it has no way of knowing who is stupid. Logicaly it should attack whoever is closest instead of the person who is dumbest. While the may be the same person sometimes a monster is just deadly to certain things. This is no more deadly then an Ogre hitting a level 2 caster on the head

Okay. Given that melee classes in D&D are not known for prioritizing INT, there's some big overlap between "attacks closest target" and "attacks most vulnerable target" without purely gamey tactics like putting wizards in front when intellect devourers may be near or the DM obliging the players by having the intellect devourers unfailingly seek out the worst possible targets.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Okay. Given that melee classes in D&D are not known for prioritizing INT, there's some big overlap between "attacks closest target" and "attacks most vulnerable target" without purely gamey tactics like putting wizards in front when intellect devourers may be near or the DM obliging the players by having the intellect devourers unfailingly seek out the worst possible targets.

It's actually really funny because I do hate people who get mad at the players for "metagaming" (read: playing tactically) but in this case, unless the players have read and thought a lot about the intellect devourer rules, they're going to put the dumb targets up front because the wizard goes "oh it's an intellect devourer, it eats brains, I need mine to fight" and stays away.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

MonsterEnvy posted:

Let's assume a target has 10 int and no proficiency for int saves, they have just over a 1 in 3 chance to be turned into a vegetable whenever an int. devourer hits them with this ability.

If they have a 9 int it is a 44% chance, each round, of needing a greater restoration (or or be brought back from the dead) to recover from the CR2 monster.

For 11 int it is a 27.5% chance.

Int is probably among the most common dump stat across the classes. I would bet the average int score taken across all PCs will be around a 10.0. Against the int. devourer, they effectively have a save or suck against the majority of PCs. Wizard being the main exception, with a footnote for druid and rogue as they will have proficiency on their int saves and so the math works out a little better for them overall. Just because you roll more dice, the > 25% chance for most cases means it's save or die. Every round.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bhaal posted:

Let's assume a target has 10 int and no proficiency for int saves, they have just over a 1 in 3 chance to be turned into a vegetable whenever an int. devourer hits them with this ability.

If they have a 9 int it is a 44% chance, each round, of needing a greater restoration (or or be brought back from the dead) to recover from the CR2 monster.

For 11 int it is a 27.5% chance.

Int is probably among the most common dump stat across the classes. I would bet the average int score taken across all PCs will be around a 10.0. Against the int. devourer, they effectively have a save or suck against the majority of PCs. Wizard being the main exception, with a footnote for druid and rogue as they will have proficiency on their int saves and so the math works out a little better for them overall. Just because you roll more dice, the > 25% chance for most cases means it's save or die. Every round.

Correct it's off set by being squishy and unlikly to survive more then 2 rounds.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Correct it's off set by being squishy and unlikly to survive more then 2 rounds.

An even-level CR should not have a 50% chance of ending the adventure, that's idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
So we've gone from "it's not a save or die, it's not that dangerous" to "it only has about 2 rounds to live".

So with a 27-44% chance on average for a class without prof. in int saves and using int as a dump stat (read: most classes by far), you will have a 50-70% chance of a party member becoming a vegetable, but the party will surely survive!