Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have actually posted to the forums from one of these, no joke. IE5 for unix tm was p. fast

Even in 1995 it was better than osx. At least Solaris has a package system and you don't have to compile software on the spot like a savage

b.s.d do you have grey beard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yospos is such a dumbfuck apple echo chamber that it even shits up the linux thread

folks who, by definition, do not understand what a unix desktop is for have Very Strong Opinions about unix desktops. some idiots who have nfc are 100% certain that you should use a lovely 1980s unix from a consumer electronics vendor to do unix software development

You, on the other hand, know nothing and continue to flaunt that wherever you go.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have actually posted to the forums from one of these, no joke. IE5 for unix tm was p. fast

Even in 1995 it was better than osx. At least Solaris has a package system and you don't have to compile software on the spot like a savage

counterpoint: CDE

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

folks who, by definition, do not understand what a unix desktop is for have Very Strong Opinions about unix desktops

You mean Lennart Poettering and every systemd supporter, right?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I don't really see YOSPOS as an apple echo chamber as much as just spewing bile on every OS.

The funny thing is, in my opinion, is that Google's Chromebook might be the true Linux desktop. The masses will all have one of them, running web apps or chromebook apps or whatever. It will run the Linux kernel, but will not have any of the so-called "user freedoms" that RMS dearly wants.

And users won't care. Except the jailbreaking bunch.

Fix the internet access issue and maybe 2016 will be the year of the Linux desktop.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sudo Echo posted:

why are you trying to prove solaris was bad by giving examples of good features?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yospos is such a dumbfuck apple echo chamber that it even shits up the linux thread

folks who, by definition, do not understand what a unix desktop is for have Very Strong Opinions about unix desktops. some idiots who have nfc are 100% certain that you should use a lovely 1980s unix from a consumer electronics vendor to do unix software development

I was wondering at what point you would be so kind as to succinctly define why you are such a colossal tool

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf yospos is such a dumbfuck

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

reminder that notorious BSD loves emacs which makes all his angry posts about usability and UI even more funny

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kittenkicker posted:

YOSPOS ... spewing bile on every OS.

U DON'T FUCKIN SAY

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

I was wondering at what point you would be so kind as to succinctly define why you are such a colossal tool

i work with unix, it's an unavoidable consequence

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sudo Echo posted:

Soricidus posted:

why are you trying to prove solaris was bad by giving examples of good features?

cde was actually pretty ok to use. beats the pants off gnome 3.

it really sucked to write software for it though. gently caress motif forever. no one misses that poo poo

code:
/* hello.c -- initialize the toolkit using an application context 
** and a toplevel shell widget, then create a pushbutton that says
** Hello using the varargs interface. 
*/

#include <Xm/PushB.h>

main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
    Widget           toplevel, button;
    XtAppContext     app;
    void             button_pushed(Widget, XtPointer, XtPointer);
    XmString         label;
    Arg              args[2];

XtSetLanguageProc (NULL, NULL, NULL);
    toplevel = XtVaOpenApplication (&app, "Hello", NULL, 0, &argc, argv,
                                    NULL,sessionShellWidgetClass, NULL);    
    label = XmStringCreateLocalized ("Push here to say hello");
    XtSetArg(args[0], XmNlabelString, label);
    button = XmCreatePushButton (toplevel, "pushme", args, 1);
    XmStringFree (label);
    XtAddCallback (button, XmNactivateCallback, button_pushed, NULL);
    XtManageChild (button);
    XtRealizeWidget (toplevel);
    XtAppMainLoop (app);
}

void button_pushed (Widget widget, XtPointer client_data, XtPointer call_data)
{
    printf ("Hello Yourself!\n");
}

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

gnome 3 actually owns fyi they are just copying os x and its great

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

b.s.d do you have grey beard?

nope

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cde was actually pretty ok to use. beats the pants off gnome 3.

it really sucked to write software for it though. gently caress motif forever. no one misses that poo poo

code:
/* hello.c -- initialize the toolkit using an application context 
** and a toplevel shell widget, then create a pushbutton that says
** Hello using the varargs interface. 
*/

#include <Xm/PushB.h>

main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
    Widget           toplevel, button;
    XtAppContext     app;
    void             button_pushed(Widget, XtPointer, XtPointer);
    XmString         label;
    Arg              args[2];

XtSetLanguageProc (NULL, NULL, NULL);
    toplevel = XtVaOpenApplication (&app, "Hello", NULL, 0, &argc, argv,
                                    NULL,sessionShellWidgetClass, NULL);    
    label = XmStringCreateLocalized ("Push here to say hello");
    XtSetArg(args[0], XmNlabelString, label);
    button = XmCreatePushButton (toplevel, "pushme", args, 1);
    XmStringFree (label);
    XtAddCallback (button, XmNactivateCallback, button_pushed, NULL);
    XtManageChild (button);
    XtRealizeWidget (toplevel);
    XtAppMainLoop (app);
}

void button_pushed (Widget widget, XtPointer client_data, XtPointer call_data)
{
    printf ("Hello Yourself!\n");
}

yeah that looks "pretty ok" lmao

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

free software is supposed to unite us in song, not tear us apart!

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

slip proof stairs posted:

free software is supposed to unite us in song, not tear us apart!

free software is literally fork you got mine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i claim that tcl/tk was like peak unix but then didn't get replaced by anything equally cleverly simplistic-toolboxy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

that's a shame, it would really suit your posting persona

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

u know this is yospos and so this isnt a thread for ppl to enjoy lunix right

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theadder posted:

u know this is yospos and so this isnt a thread for ppl to enjoy lunix right

lol @ knowing things

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
time to establish some indisputable facts itt: tcl/tk is good. emacs is good and also more user-friendly than poo poo like eclipse. and cde, while deeply flawed and abandoned shortly after birth, was still better in many ways than os x, ms windows, gnome, or kde are today.

this is yospos so i'm sure someone will ironically pretend to disagree with the above, but we all know it's true.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

time to establish some indisputable facts itt: tcl/tk is good. emacs is good and also more user-friendly than poo poo like eclipse. and cde, while deeply flawed and abandoned shortly after birth, was still better in many ways than os x, ms windows, gnome, or kde are today.

some good posting right here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

this is yospos so i'm sure someone will ironically pretend to disagree with the above, but we all know it's true.

I've never used any of these therefore I assume they are poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

i have never written or deployed software on unix before, but as an owner of an apple device i can say without any qualification that osx is the ideal unix software development platform

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The real question is what real person needs a Unix on the desktop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

you are correct. they were stillborn for a reason (they were poo poo)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emacs. god lol, it's been a while since i've ran into someone who deals with that garbage.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

some idiots who have nfc are 100% certain that you should use a lovely 1980s unix from a consumer electronics vendor to do unix software development

certainly way better than any of the alternatives, and it's so cute you like to pretend OS X is somehow stuck in 1988 when there are significant updates at every level of the stack annually

it's certainly nothing like that Solaris or Irix poo poo, though they were still better in their day than Linux today

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Last Chance posted:

emacs. god lol, it's been a while since i've ran into someone who deals with that garbage.

better than vi if you need to do anything more than make a quick edit to a config file

of course if you really need to do any significant writing in a terminal window you're doing something wrong

(lol at the cult of vi that sprung up among the ruby-node hipster crowd)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

certainly way better than any of the alternatives, and it's so cute you like to pretend OS X is somehow stuck in 1988 when there are significant updates at every level of the stack annually

it's certainly nothing like that Solaris or Irix poo poo, though they were still better in their day than Linux today

Solaris is still alive. and still better than osx

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

better than vi if you need to do anything more than make a quick edit to a config file

of course if you really need to do any significant writing in a terminal window you're doing something wrong

(lol at the cult of vi that sprung up among the ruby-node hipster crowd)

hey guess what you can use arguments against both vi and emacs interchangeably because the actual difference between them is only something people who dont do any real work care about

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Solaris is still alive. and still better than osx

yes and lol no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

yes and lol no

linux was crap in the 90s and everyone knew it. back then osx didn't even merit "crap," it was a historical curiosity

since then linux has been completely rewritten. 2.6 was a whole new ballgame. osx is still a curio out of someone's cabinet of deformed fetuses

it's not just the freakish chimera kernel. UserLand is a mess. Every time I deal with brew or Xcode click through licensing I get awful flashbacks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

still garbage Mach
still riddled with weird bsd tools
still ships with a proprietary compiler
still doesn't have a package system

every Sun Microsystems sin and awkward hack of the 1980s, haunting us in 2014

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still garbage Mach
still riddled with weird bsd tools
still ships with a proprietary compiler
still doesn't have a package system

every Sun Microsystems sin and awkward hack of the 1980s, haunting us in 2014

what

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ahmeni posted:

hey guess what you can use arguments against both vi and emacs interchangeably because the actual difference between them is only something people who dont do any real work care about

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

basically the reason osx is bad at being linux is because it isn't linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wild EEPROM posted:

basically the reason osx is bad at being linux is because it isn't linux

solaris and irix were mentioned up-thread and somehow they manage to have none of these problems. it's almost like they are up to date with 1990s technology

irix hasn't been updated regularly since 2005 and it's still a much more "modern" system in all the ways that should count. it's so legacy it's discontinued and it still makes osx look like a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

this is something a vi user would say