Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked Wall posted:

Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

Thoughtseizes are in Theros, so M15's Rotation doesn't matter. However, they both rotate out in Fall 2015.... Khans rotates in the Spring of 2016, and every set onward will be Standard legal for Approx. 18 months. Probably a decent trade, though, since Thoughtseizes will hold value after rotation, and the inevitable drop of fetch prices... I'd be sure to pick up the playset of Deltas again before Khans stops being drafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't want to live in a world where Steam Augury is a good card...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
GP Orlando Trip Report:

This limited format is incredibly fun. Much, much more enjoyable than Theros was.

I kicked rear end on Friday and cracked that double Sorin pack, which was definitely the high point of the weekend. Found out I did in fact have a bye, which made my VIP SO worth it when I was able to sleep in until 10:15.

I started off 5-0, but finished 6-3 thanks to some really poorly timed mulligans. It was eerily similar to how I was knocked out in GP Miami last year: I have lethal on board for next turn, opponent topdecks an X burn spell for exact lethal damage (in Miami it was back to back Miracle Bonfire of the Damned for 6 then 7 when I was at 13). poo poo happens, but two of my losses were to absolutely horrible human beings. I got to make my first judge call for harassment when playing against this obnoxious hippie who would not shut up when I was doing some really complicated combat math (we each had like 12 creatures and were both X-2 at the time, and I wasn't playing at an unreasonable pace since each turn was literally draw, play creature, calculate damage, can't get there and would die on the swing back, pass).

Losses suck, but it's harder to take a loss from a complete douchebag than it is from a friendly opponent you were chatting with all match.

I got sick from the overpriced hot dog I ate so was up really late, decided to skip the big Sealed on Sunday. I showed up later and just did a handful of on-demand Standard pods. Didn't win any of them, but got in some good games to really test my new decks. I did much better with Legacy. I got to play with everyone from my old play group all weekend, too, so that was pleasant.

I counted at least 73 unique players in fedoras. And two kilts. One kilt was wearing a fedora. There was also janitor who looked like he was doing a bad Wolverine cosplay. There actually WAS a girl randomly cosplaying as Link for some reason and clearly basking in the attention she got.

I'm now sitting in the Orlando airport, bored because my flight home has been delayed for half a day, and experiencing the wonderful onset of the flu. loving Magic players, stay home if you're sick instead of spreading your plague to me. There was also a huge B.O. problem at this event. I asked a judge about one guy, and he basically shrugged and said he wasn't allowed to do anything because it might hurt the guy's feelings. WOTC really needs to come up with some sort of official personal hygiene policy, because there's definitely a line that needs to be drawn. You would not be served in a restaurant if you were dressed like and smelled like this person.

Counter point: Most magic players do seem to be decent human beings, at least outside of matches. I had two friends lose expensive decks only to have them returned with nothing missing at the lost and found. Same for my Hyrule hockey jersey, which I'm VERY surprised some nerd didn't just walk off with given how many compliment it and ask where they can get one when I put it on. Almost makes up for terrible behavior in matches and the general lack of social awareness otherwise.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Steam Augury is a good card...

Its really not and winning the first open with it in the decklist doesn't make it so. So don't feel bad.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does Sarkhan stop being a planeswalker while he's a dragon? Will using Ajani Steadfast's -2 give a +1'd Sarkhan both a loyalty counter and a +1/+1 counter?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Does Sarkhan stop being a planeswalker while he's a dragon? Will using Ajani Steadfast's -2 give a +1'd Sarkhan both a loyalty counter and a +1/+1 counter?

1) Yes
2) No

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ.

On saturday i was helping my friend crack a box (playing the rare game) and he manages to snag a foil delta. He was pretty pumped after that, obviously. He got a sorin and 3 other fetches as well as decent poo poo in it.

on sunday i went to draft and got a foil delta in my second pack. I think i actually went on tilt for the rest of the draft and the games. played like absolute poo poo. Is positive tilt a thing?

Anyway, looking on tcgplayer the foil is going for 80 bucks currently. my friends tell me to throw it in a safe deposit box and forget about it for a few years. I'm not an idiot so obviously i know it will go up eventually, but what time frame are we talking, and what will it top out at?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
edit: nevermind, misread

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Oh right. GP ORLANDO (keeps hijacking my Youtube timestamp link) is over. Time to start scouring eBay for a playmat.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

And I may have a spare, if I do I'll be posting it tomorrow.

:tipshat:

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Oh right. GP Miami Orlando is over. Time to start scouring eBay for a playmat.

And I may have a spare, if I do I'll be posting it tomorrow.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is relevant to the topic at hand:

I actually do think Zac Hill is a cool dude tho

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A big flaming stink posted:

Anyway, looking on tcgplayer the foil is going for 80 bucks currently. my friends tell me to throw it in a safe deposit box and forget about it for a few years. I'm not an idiot so obviously i know it will go up eventually, but what time frame are we talking, and what will it top out at?

This thread can't even agree/can't possibly know what it will be in a month. Factors at play:

-Delta sees a lot of Legacy play, will probably see a lot of Modern play
-KTK will be drafted by the dump truck load for the foreseeable future.

This is not going to make you rich. It's not going to even approach the values of ABU stuff unless something incredibly strange happens. I would guess (and its only a guess) it will float up to like $100ish after a while (maybe a long while). If you're thinking of this in investment terms, I think the chances of the increase in value of Delta beating inflation by any meaningful amount is pretty low, and ultimately you'd be hoarding a card for the shot at like at best a $70-80 payout after years. Just play with it or sell it/trade it now and have fun, that's my advice.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

what time frame are we talking, and what will it top out at?
I don't think anyone could reasonably expected to know the answers to these questions. If anyone tells you they know for sure then they're lying or deluded.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

I don't think anyone could reasonably expected to know the answers to these questions. If anyone tells you they know for sure then they're lying or deluded.

What if they're time travelers?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

but what time frame are we talking, and what will it top out at?
It will top out at precisely $87.23 on March 15, 2019.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ten thousand dollars is the peak for this MTG card, and any hot card to speculate on. Buy Vengevine while you still can afford one without a six figure salary.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

What if they're time travelers?

Then why the gently caress are they speculating on wizard poker instead of killing Hitler?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

First Bass posted:

Then why the gently caress are they speculating on wizard poker instead of killing Hitler?

This is easily resolved: if you speculate on Magic cards... you are Hitler.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's the rush on killing Hitler though?

What does RUG Monsters look like these days? Are Knuckleblades making the cut (nyuk nyuk nyuk)? I'm building a deck but have no Nissa or Sarkhan, just Xenagos and Kiora.

I should probably head over to the deckbuilding thread actually.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

First Bass posted:

The ramifications of killing hitler are terrifying, are you certain nuclear holocaust would have been delayed this long if there was no WW2

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

What's the rush on killing Hitler though?

What does RUG Monsters look like these days? Are Knuckleblades making the cut (nyuk nyuk nyuk)? I'm building a deck but have no Nissa or Sarkhan, just Xenagos and Kiora.

I should probably head over to the deckbuilding thread actually.

So far it appears to be a limited bomb and not much else. Green already has some really solid creatures and are being played over it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

So far it appears to be a limited bomb and not much else. Green already has some really solid creatures and are being played over it.
Yeah, that was my gut instinct and it's not in my deck right now, but I saw some random lists with it included so I figured I'd check. I was considering swapping out (some/all) my Genesis Hydras for them, but it's too nice to Hydra for 4 or 5 and put out a Planeswalker, Polukranos, Stormbreath Dragon, etc.

I need a bunch of playtesting probably.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

toadee posted:

This thread can't even agree/can't possibly know what it will be in a month. Factors at play:

-Delta sees a lot of Legacy play, will probably see a lot of Modern play
-KTK will be drafted by the dump truck load for the foreseeable future.

This is not going to make you rich. It's not going to even approach the values of ABU stuff unless something incredibly strange happens. I would guess (and its only a guess) it will float up to like $100ish after a while (maybe a long while). If you're thinking of this in investment terms, I think the chances of the increase in value of Delta beating inflation by any meaningful amount is pretty low, and ultimately you'd be hoarding a card for the shot at like at best a $70-80 payout after years. Just play with it or sell it/trade it now and have fun, that's my advice.

Don't forget that Wizards has said that they expect to be more aggressive with Modern/Commander reprints with the new rotation scheme, so chances are Fetches will get another reprint in a few years given their status as permanent staples in the format.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
EDH supremacy

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Pauper EDH supremacy
FTFY

Look, if your gonna play a janky/casual format, play it as janky and casual as you can. Spellheart-Chimera.dec is pretty fun.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
What cards would be in Let's Kill Hitler.dec?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Eh if you play the game trade that Foil in for 3-4 of non-foil now. This is probably the best call when you open a foil so close after release...

If you expect this to be a $500 card in 2 years I think most will agree that you are silly and your friend is equally silly.

Kraus posted:

Blitz Hellion and Massacre are probably good starting points.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 6, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kraus posted:

Well, it'd be a UWR deck....hmmm

heres a go at it:
1 Ruhan of the Fomori

1 Akoum Battlesinger
1 Hada Freeblade
1 Halimar Excavator
1 Highland Berserker
1 Jwari Shapeshifter
1 Kabira Evangel
1 Kazandu Blademaster
1 Kazuul Warlord
1 Makindi Shieldmate
1 Murasa Pyromancer
1 Ondu Cleric
1 Sea Gate Loremaster
1 Seascape Aerialist
1 Talus Paladin
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Tuktuk Scrapper
1 Umara Raptor

1 Path To Exile
1 Swords To Plowshares
1 Lightning Helix
1 Detention Sphere
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Wrath Of God
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Warleader's Helix
1 Beacon Of Destruction
1 Mindblaze

1 Armageddon
1 Ravages Of War
1 Catastrophe
1 Cataclysm

1 Mana Drain
1 Force Of Will
1 Decree Of Silence

1 Control Magic
1 Treachery
1 Bribery
1 Acquire
1 Omniscience
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Epic Experiment
1 Planar Portal
1 Scroll Rack
1 Sunforger
1 Proteus Staff
1 Mana Severance

Mana Ramp: 6
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Coalition Relic
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Grim Monolith
1 Lotus Petal

Walkers: 7
1 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
1 Ral Zarek
1 Ajani Vengeant
1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Chandra The Firebrand
1 Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker

Land: 40
1 City Of Brass
1 Mana Confluence
1 Command Tower
1 Grand Coliseum
1 Relfecting Pool
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
1 Flooded Strand
1 Tundra
1 Plateau
1 Volcanic Island
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Cascade Bluffs
1 Mystic Gate
1 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Meadow
6 Snow-Covered Plains
5 Snow-Covered Islands
5 Snow-Covered Mountains

It's an America Allies deck.

Zoness posted:

Considering the Soviets got to Berlin first there is a conspicuous lack of snow cards and bears.

Your right, I updated the mana to account for that, no room for any more bears though because they aren't Allies.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

It's an America Allies deck.

Considering the Soviets got to Berlin first there is a conspicuous lack of snow cards and bears.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

It was fun watching Melissa DeTora try to triple-pump her Savage Knuckleblade, and Cedric getting all hushed-breath "SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE CARD WORKS". The judge made her do the first pump since it was legal, and rolled back pumps 2-3 since they were illegal. Then she chose to bounce it since it was going to die in combat. So she wasted 3 mana on a turn where she'd rather have been ~doing stuff~.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Eh if you play the game trade that Foil in for 3-4 of non-foil now. This is probably the best call when you open a foil so close after release...

If you expect this to be a $500 card in 2 years I think most will agree that you are silly and your friend is equally silly.

Blitz Hellion and Massacre are probably good starting points.

ok cmon i know this isn't going to be insane money, foil new thoughtseize is what, 60 bucks?
legacy players love foils but hate new versions of old cards.

Actually thoughtseize might be a good model to follow.

ok I checked the foil price history of the theros foil and its really loving weird. Right after release it dropped from 50 to 30 and then chilled around there until decemberish when it rose kinda sharply to 40ish. Stayed there till september, where it loving rocketed to 80 bucks practically overnight.

What the hell is that? Packs of Theros weren't being opened since M15, but even if I allow for the price spike for the new set, almost doubling in price makes no loving sense to me, regardless of the card.

It's recent, so could it be an attempt at price fixing?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Wicked Wall posted:

Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

Fetchlands and Thoughtseize are both Rare eternal format staples with two printings each. Who knows where the individual prices on them will land in a month or a year, but they're definitely in the same category of card, it's not like you're getting ripped off by trading a legacy staple away for a Standard card that's going to tank and never recover when it rotates out.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
So I went to pick up a couple steam augury for a deck im brewing, and as far as I can tell, its sold out on goatbots, supernovabots, and mtgotraders at least. I havent' checked other places yet, but it looks like either someone's making a run on it, or people are really seriously testing it for the pro tour, both of which are kind of exciting prospects.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Pyronic posted:

So I went to pick up a couple steam augury for a deck im brewing, and as far as I can tell, its sold out on goatbots, supernovabots, and mtgotraders at least. I havent' checked other places yet, but it looks like either someone's making a run on it, or people are really seriously testing it for the pro tour, both of which are kind of exciting prospects.
No loving way.
I bought 6 gorillian of those things having an idea they were good.
IF they end up being good for this Standard I gotta find em and sell em. Doubt it though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neetengie posted:

No loving way.
I bought 6 gorillian of those things having an idea they were good.
IF they end up being good for this Standard I gotta find em and sell em. Doubt it though.

The MTGO market is a weird and hosed up place and someone buying out a bot chain doesn't mean a whole lot. If you can flip a bunch of useless rares to a dumb MTG player you should though, I don't want to discourage you.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Steam Augery was reprinted in the most recent duel deck, so I doubt it will go up to $10. It's currently sitting at a cool 35 cents.

Stoke the Flames, an uncommon, is now $4.50 tcg mid, so who knows.

Edit: oh, we're talking MTGO. Who knows, MTGO's weird.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pyronic posted:

They probably just didn't bother to restock the bot with the card. A card being played on the Pro Tour does not automatically make it expensive.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kraus posted:

Ugin's Nexus, and presumably a lot of stuff from Fate Reforged.

Because time travel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sickening posted:

I feel like the window for leveraging green creatures that just have good rates is so small when it doesn't take much time at all to get to the next plateau where you're doing broken crap with tons of mana. I'm still not really sure how Siege Rhino isn't suffering the same fate.

vvv Yeah I guess it's at least handy vs the aggro and burn decks.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like the window for leveraging green creatures that just have good rates is so small when it doesn't take much time at all to get to the next plateau where you're doing broken crap with tons of mana. I'm still not really sure how Siege Rhino isn't suffering the same fate.

Siege Rhino's lifegain is incredibly relevant since the format has so many fast, threat-dense aggro decks. In an environment where people are Lightning Striking your face, Rhino is often a 3-for-1 or better.

• Locked thread