Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
People need to stop taking For Fun so seriously. So many ragequits from Pastel Wario's War On Items, especially when I won the Sudden Death by immediately motorcycling a Greninja off the stage and got a wheelie freeze-frame. The whole drat lobby emptied out for that one.

And whose idea was it to limit taunts? How is my Fitness Trainer supposed to do the proper warmup and cooldown stretches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Finally got the game, I'm enjoying the physics of the game way better than Brawl so far. Went straight into glory 1v1 because I'm a bastard, Marth feels really good. Online is actually responsive, which is surprising for random people.

Ironically the most trouble I'm having with the controls is not the circle pad (barely noticed) but I keep messing up jump for attack and vice versa.

The friend code thread is in the imp section?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Having now played the game for like 8 hours (That much already, according to a challenge I just got) I think I have a bit better an idea of what I don't like about Smash 4. It's not a bad game, of course, but it's definetly flawed. If anyone has counterpoints I'd be happy to hear them.

Basic features are apparently locked behind challenges. I've played 8 hours and I still can't use all the game settings? :laffo:

There's particular insult to injury because to fully get to the challenge board that might have some of these core features I need to do dumb things like street smash or smash run.

Smash Run kinda sucks and that's one of my major beefs. I'm using KAR's city trial as a comparison point and well, it does.

The enemy density is much too high. Played 3 games of it, one with friends, two with the AI and on neither one could I even find anyone else because I was constantly being barraged with a storm of eyes, goombas, kremlins and who knows what else. It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that all three times the stat distribution got massively stacked so one guy had 500+ in speed or something.

The events are kinda boring. I don't have much else to say about this other than events seem relatively rare (I only saw two in the three games I played) and they just turned up the enemy spawn rate. OH BOY, JUST WHAT THERE NEEDED TO BE MORE OF.

The stage isn't nearly as interesting as City Trial. That had a bunch of hidden-ish things, visually distinct areas and a way to get around the large size quickly. The top right has big enemies but that's the only real thing I could see.

The post match events don't seem to be too varied. One was "kill as many dudes as you can" which I'd been doing for the past 5 minutes and the other two were just normal fights.

I hadn't read much about Smash Run beforehand but I'd expected something like Melee's adventure mode I guess.

Also, the music. A lot of the music choices seem strange. The Earthbound stage only appears to have two songs and neither one of them is really fitting. Something like a remix of Kraken of the Sea or Porky Means Business would've been good. It's especially a letdown because Brawl had a truly excellent soundtrack.

There's a few things that are more personal opinions so there's not much point in debating them but the stage choice is pretty 'meh'. The number's small because of system limitations I guess, but compared to Brawl which had to sort the stages into 'classic' and 'new' sections it feels like a step back. I also would've liked some more variety in the characters but oh well, that's also completely personal.

There's a number of things that I understand are just due to system restrictions, but I feel like a bunch of the new features are kinda crap and it was a waste to cut more important features from older games for them. I hop the Wii U version isn't too constrained by the 3DS version, though unfortunately the roster is. (Seriously who cares about parity just get the Ice Climbers back for the wii u version nintendo).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anatharon posted:

Also, the music. A lot of the music choices seem strange. The Earthbound stage only appears to have two songs and neither one of them is really fitting. Something like a remix of Kraken of the Sea or Porky Means Business would've been good. It's especially a letdown because Brawl had a truly excellent soundtrack.

Stages on 3DS only get two tracks, and there's some supplementary tracks for Smash Run. The Wii U version will have a bigger soundtrack, similar to Brawl's (with My Music returning).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

to be fair, the earthbound/mother 3 stages in Brawl didn't have fitting music either. they used all the chill music and odd mixes instead of, you know, all the amazing battle music from both games. i dont know why they keep doing this

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The Smash Run stage does seem less distinctive and bleh compared to Air Ride's City Trial, but I think it's kinda silly to say "I played it three times and the variety doesn't seem that great." I've done it something like fifteen times, all with different characters, and I've only had one repeat final battle. There is plenty of stuff to do, albeit all of them except the footrace are constrained to 1 minute. There are also a decent variety of events too, sometimes they make Souflees (from Kid Icarus Uprising) swarm all over, sometimes a room with a bunch of chests spawns (it literally is not there on the map before the event), and there are the challenge doors.

The final battles are a disappointment for me because you can't control the parameters, but I've been having a lot of fun with the five-minute labyrinth itself. I almost think of the final battle as a little bonus thing instead of the end goal, the real meat is the labyrinth. :v:

Also, it does start up rough and it's really easy for the enemies to knock you around, but once you start picking up boosts and start using the touchscreen powers, the enemies become a lot easier to handle.

btw Does anyone know if this one is like Melee and Brawl where you can hold a button to choose a pose on the victory screen, because if there is a way I haven't found it yet.

Bobnumerotres posted:

to be fair, the earthbound/mother 3 stages in Brawl didn't have fitting music either. they used all the chill music and odd mixes instead of, you know, all the amazing battle music from both games. i dont know why they keep doing this

Because intense fighting action/serene background theme dissonance is awesome. :colbert:

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 6, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

Aren't there weird copyright issues with a lot of the Earthbound/Mother 3 music?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Smash Run is a bunch of fun with friends. It sucks its not online but I know a lot of people with the game and we played a bunch of it over the weekend.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Previous Jesus posted:

Aren't there weird copyright issues with a lot of the Earthbound/Mother 3 music?

People thought this was why Earthbound wasn't on the VC for such a long time, but it's been on the Wii U VC for a while now, so I don't think this was ever actually a problem? And if it was, it was only with Earthbound music, not anything from Mother 3, iirc.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
gently caress Intensity 9. I just absolutely can't do it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Are there already lag switch (if there even is a such a thing with wifi) assholes on For Glory?

I was in a match that got quite laggy whenever a Ness player did a move. Somehow we all get into sudden death the lag was just... a slideshow and the Ness player oneshots everyone with bat smashes that looked way too precise.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

BambooEarpick posted:

gently caress Intensity 9. I just absolutely can't do it.

it is pretty bullshit because after intensity 7 they just make you extremely light, so on top of the cheating AI they can KO you from like 30%.

you pretty much have to get lucky with non-counter CPUs or good item rolls.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I see very little lag in For Glory mode I'm quite surprised and happy by it really

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

it is pretty bullshit because after intensity 7 they just make you extremely light, so on top of the cheating AI they can KO you from like 30%.

you pretty much have to get lucky with non-counter CPUs or good item rolls.

Yeah. In classic I have to take all the easy routes but I still lose sometimes before getting to Master Hand/Crazy Hand. Especially if it's a team battle because then it's me and a level 1 AI vs two level 9 AI with no team attack on. So my partner will immediately jump off the side and Up+B away from the stage and then it's me vs two level 9 AI who are both at 0%.
Or if it's against a Giant anything I probably lose because holy poo poo. I had to play against Giant Olimar once and he killed all 3 of us right at the start of the match. I don't even know what he did; maybe threw a pikmin? I dunno, everyone died instantly.

When I do make it to Master Hand I take a lot of damage early. I've done best with Lukina except for the fact that you have to face Large Shadow Lukina and then she counters you and you die.
I've tried it with Jiggly but you can't block anything because you'll shield break and die.

Its pretty drat frustrating.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

BambooEarpick posted:

Yeah. In classic I have to take all the easy routes but I still lose sometimes before getting to Master Hand/Crazy Hand. Especially if it's a team battle because then it's me and a level 1 AI vs two level 9 AI with no team attack on. So my partner will immediately jump off the side and Up+B away from the stage and then it's me vs two level 9 AI who are both at 0%.
Or if it's against a Giant anything I probably lose because holy poo poo. I had to play against Giant Olimar once and he killed all 3 of us right at the start of the match. I don't even know what he did; maybe threw a pikmin? I dunno, everyone died instantly.

When I do make it to Master Hand I take a lot of damage early. I've done best with Lukina except for the fact that you have to face Large Shadow Lukina and then she counters you and you die.
I've tried it with Jiggly but you can't block anything because you'll shield break and die.

Probably down smash. His downsmash is loving boss.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I managed to beat Intensity 9 with a Ganondorf, with Attack and Speed up from equipments but defence down so it was basically just high damage output letting me end the core forms pretty quickly (and get past the hands phase in like five attacks). Knowing the timing to dodge most of the attacks is still pretty key though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

THE loving MOON posted:

I usually use her side-smash or the up-smash if they're in the air. Her down-b flip-> kick is pretty good spike too.

Hm, I like those moves, maybe I'm over-spamming and hitting diminishing returns? "Stale Move Negation"?

I also have trouble against fast and counter nonsense, i.e. Sonic/Lucario/Greninja

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Grab Shadow Leukemia, throw her off the side, use a forward air to knock her back or spike her with the tip of the down air when she tries to recover

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I cleared Lv9 with Ike yesterday. Just hack and slash away until you get to Master Hand, then counter-counter-counter.
Countering Master Core's sword attacks is super satisfying.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
What the gently caress do I do against Master Core's human form's Psychic Shout? No matter what % I'm at it'll throw me so far off the stage I can't recover. I've never not died to it. This last time was REALLY frustrating because I beat the Hands without taking damage and then I just got shouted for an instant death.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BambooEarpick posted:

What the gently caress do I do against Master Core's human form's Psychic Shout? No matter what % I'm at it'll throw me so far off the stage I can't recover. I've never not died to it. This last time was REALLY frustrating because I beat the Hands without taking damage and then I just got shouted for an instant death.

If you're shielding it severely lowers the knockback. I'm not sure, but you can probably sidestep it like Tabuu's "gently caress you" wave too?

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
What have you all been doing for your ideal controller setups? The default controls feel clunky to me.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Spittin Wheelie posted:

What have you all been doing for your ideal controller setups? The default controls feel clunky to me.

Basically turned it into a GCN setup, with Y=Special, B=Normal, X&A=Jump, L=Shield/R=Grab. Took my brain a while to rewire itself after the demo, but it feels good now.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I just left the controls the default and turned off tilt to jump (seriously gently caress that poo poo ruining so many uptilts). They feel fine to me, so I don't understand all the baby drama over it, they're customizable enough.

Also if you used Z to grab you're a scrub and should be using Guard + A, it's way easier and lets you respond to a blocked attack with a counter grab.

Grabs are good, use them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I unlocked Mr. Game and Watch but I did not unlock Flat Zone. I beat the game as him even and no dice. How do I unlock Flat Zone.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Dang, high percent Lucario is a beast. Finally managed to clear Classic on 9.0 with him, after a few hits you can end each form pretty quickly.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I unlocked Mr. Game and Watch but I did not unlock Flat Zone. I beat the game as him even and no dice. How do I unlock Flat Zone.

It's one of the challenges on the second board. Do everything on the first board and it'll unlock.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You may have to unlock the second challenge board so it can actually fire the "Unlocked Mr. Game and Watch" challenge completion. I think that's what gives you the stage.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jsor posted:

You may have to unlock the second challenge board so it can actually fire the "Unlocked Mr. Game and Watch" challenge completion. I think that's what gives you the stage.

This is correct

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

My control setup is A - jump, B - attack, Y - special, X - grab/throw, R - shield/dodge, and of course up to jump switched off. I had shield on L and grab on R at first but eventually figured this to be better use of my buttons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alright, I'm feeling an immediate turn-off which is everyone playing a character with counter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tae posted:

Alright, I'm feeling an immediate turn-off which is everyone playing a character with counter.

People who spam counters can be punished really hard. Just fake them out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Robin with gear doesn't feel powerful enough to compensate for how crappy he is when his sword/book are gone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

fadam posted:

Robin with gear doesn't feel powerful enough to compensate for how crappy he is when his sword/book are gone.

It's not one book, each spell is charged differently. If you're carefull, you should always have either the fire or the thunder.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

Grab more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

fadam posted:

That's their entire gimmick, though? Of course they're crappy when their items are gone, that's their thing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hellioning posted:

That's their entire gimmick, though? Of course they're crappy when their items are gone, that's their thing.

OK well it's a bad gimmick that resulted in a bad character.

Even if his books have independent ammo counters, the fact that you can run out at all is really stupid, especially since his moves don't seem particularly strong to begin with.

The timer on them coming back is pretty short so you can play around it, but I'm not entirely sure why they felt he needed it to begin with.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Actually, fuckwit, Robin is the best character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can't grab in the air.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i don't see why the magic needs to be on a timer when it's really nothing out of this world. the beefed up sword is completely ridiculous though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I thought I was going to feel the need to change the controls at first, but the default setup actually works really well and all I changed was turning off tap jump. Your thumb naturally rests across A and X, which is what you want access to 90% of the time. Occasionally have to move your thumb to access special moves but you have to do that on a GameCube controller too. Kind of wish I'd swapped shield and grab because I keep trying to tech with L instead of R, but for normal shielding and grabs I'm too used to the current setup.

• Locked thread