Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can guarantee if you'd approved the purchase and handed them the bill they would have kicked up a shitstorm as well. Sometimes you can't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

meanieface posted:

Every time you're tempted to hit reply and type out "you're horribly wrong, you never listen, you imbecile", take a very deep breath.

My method is to start an email without anything in the address bar (so I don't accidentally send it) and let it all out. Over the last year or so I've found myself crafting four or five responses before I run out of steam and send something that won't get me fired.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Dick Trauma posted:

My method is to start an email without anything in the address bar (so I don't accidentally send it) and let it all out. Over the last year or so I've found myself crafting four or five responses before I run out of steam and send something that won't get me fired.

My drafts folder is a one way ticket to a prison psychologist.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Swink posted:

I think this is our new thread title!

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Swink posted:

MODS! More poo poo that pisses you off: My drafts folder is a one way ticket to a prison psychologist.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

This is wise, and something I'm pretty sure everyone does.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

internet jerk posted:

This is wise, and something I'm pretty sure everyone does.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone does not.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Seconded

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They're in my Sent Items, not Drafts :kheldragar:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My manager decided to start my day by catching a massive spider, putting it in a transparent cup, sneaking up on me and waving it in my face.

I got four hours of sleep and had to hold back a punch (punching the cup, mind). gently caress mornings, gently caress spiders and gently caress you, dude.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

dogstile posted:

My manager decided to start my day by catching a massive spider, putting it in a transparent cup, sneaking up on me and waving it in my face.

I got four hours of sleep and had to hold back a punch (punching the cup, mind). gently caress mornings, gently caress spiders and gently caress you, dude.

Should have scared punched him, claimed you were surprised and didn't know what to do!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Yes I meant literally everyone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

That's a punchable offense, flat out. Forget the cup.

Of course, it's good that you didn't or the cup might have spilled and the spider escaped into your desk area :gonk:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Volmarias posted:

That's a punchable offense, flat out. Forget the cup.

Of course, it's good that you didn't or the cup might have spilled and the spider escaped into your desk area :gonk:

Escalate right to loving his wife, IMO.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Went on a 5 day vacation where I drank all the beers (all of them) in the Denver area during Great American Beer Fest. :cheers: Now I'm back in the office, jet-lagged, with an overflowing inbox. Oh, and I got to come in 30min early to listen to a surprise all-staff call by the CEO to tell us about how broke we are and the dozen or so people they poo poo canned while I was away! Non-profit life :froggonk:

But I did bring back something for you, IT goons. This was in a hallway of the hotel I was staying at. I had an overwhelming urge to cut it right in half...but I restrained myself. No clue why you'd ever want to do this:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Heh, i'm not gonna hit my manager, unfortunately. I think my temper would get the better of me and i'd end up clocking him one in the jaw. I'll have to just settle for doing what I did, which was calling him a dick and saying I was to tired to get in with the jokes today.

I think he noticed the anger, he's not talked to me all day. Then again i've been busy as hell, drat "cloud" servers :argh:

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
:downs: : I'm having trouble accessing the database
:shobon: : Has anyting changed sir?
:downs: : you guys sent me a script to execute and after that it doesn't work anymore
:shobon: : *checks script, it's a normal SELECT thing*
:shobon: : Weird, what was the result?
:downs: : it said TABLE not found, so I deleted SQL and all its components and re-installed SQL Server in order to fix the problem
:shobon: ...

Dude re-installed his SQL Server because he was executing a script on master instead of the proper dbase :doh: , didn't do it correctly so I was forced to hold his hand while doing it. Our clients normally maintain their SQL Servers themselves, in order to avoid us having to do this poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

internet jerk posted:

Escalate right to loving his wife, IMO.

No way, there might be a spider hiding in there.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So my boss asked me to look up some emails for him (which he can do himself). I found them and forwarded them to him. He then asks if we (meaning me) can see if the emails are in the persons deleted item folder. I said yeah I can but why? He wanted to see if the person was just being lazy...

Yeah we I found them in the guys Inbox.

My boss didn't seem to get the hint when I said of course EVERYONE is lazy. So now he is talking to other people about how this guy is too lazy yet he just had me do something that he could have done in 2 seconds himself.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Anyone else have a hard time with co-workers with either a language barrier or an accent? Working today with an older end user who I can not understand at all. I'm sure it's just as irritating for her as it is me when I have to ask her to repeat herself 20 times for each sentence she speaks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In person or over the phone? It's much more difficult over the phone, unfortunately, but because you said co-worker, I hope it's in person.

Use short, simple sentences (even if it feels condescending).
Be very direct.
Do not use any idioms, at all.
Use clear words like "Yes" or "No".
Speak slowly.
Use lots of gestures.
Try to use the same words or phrases as much as you can.
Try to pattern your speech in similar ways.
When you use words like if, when, etc., separate your clauses, and be very clear which clause is which.

When you don't understand her, ask her to repeat slowly. Try to predict what she is trying to say.
Ask her to demonstrate, draw a picture, and otherwise use the same techniques you are using.
If you are able to communicate with her well, then she will hopefully use the same techniques with you.

If you have to work with her a lot, try speaking to her about simple things to get used to her accent, etc.
The more time you spend talking to her, the easier it will be for both of you.

Communication is a skill. Everyone must practice it, if they are to become more proficient.

I don't normally write like this, of course, but it's just a small attempt at demonstrating what I mean. I've worked with Japanese people for the past 7 years, both in Japan and in the US. When I say that communication is a skill, I really mean it. Although my Japanese wasn't great, there were some people with whom I found it a lot easier to communicate with, in Japanese (and in English), simply because they were better communicators and knew how to speak in a way that was easier for me to understand. On the other hand, there were plenty of other people who weren't able to do that and so, even though my Japanese level didn't change speaking with one person or another, it was extremely difficult for me to understand them.

Practice makes perfect! The one thing you want to be careful of is that she understands that the difficulty in communicating is as much (if not more) your fault than hers, even if you have to pretend. Think about it this way: she's trying to speak YOUR language; you try communicating to her in her native language and see how you do. That's the kind of attitude that she needs to think you have, again, even if you have to pretend. Otherwise, things tend to go south pretty quickly. I've seen it with some of the younger people we hire who weren't able to keep that attitude about them and it's never pretty.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Jesus gently caress Christmas.

Late August, I get a fax* regarding a corporate payment agreement, addressed to "Office Manager", from a company we do business with. Looking at it, I can see it's Important poo poo, but can't figure out if it goes to the CEO, CFO, or possibly (as a contract item) to another C-level, and I don't have anyone available to ask that day. (For all I know they all have to stand around it and piss on it together for a consensus; way above my pay-grade.)

Not a problem! Send it over to the Executive Assistant in the Admin department, she knows this poo poo! Email away and forget about it...

Until today, when that company calls in person to ask about it. I barely remember it (it was out of the ordinary enough) and check my sent mail, and contact said Executive Assistant.

"Oh, if it doesn't have a name on it I just delete it as junk mail! Yes, even if it's a contract!"

And I *know* she's been getting various generically-addressed items in, both as email and postal mail, for *years*. :suicide: Wonder if that's what happened to some of the IRC correspondence that has since come back to bite us in the wallet?

* Biz is behavioral healthcare, so faxes abound. A couple years back they finally added fax capability to some of the MFCs, so we have fewer individual dinosaurs fax machines. (Still a few out there that have to be pushing fifteen loving years, though.)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Simpleboo posted:

Anyone else have a hard time with co-workers with either a language barrier or an accent? Working today with an older end user who I can not understand at all. I'm sure it's just as irritating for her as it is me when I have to ask her to repeat herself 20 times for each sentence she speaks.

We have this problem with customers outside the United States. I mean if you deliberately pick a company explicitly US based to do business with, maybe get someone to speak English to us for support instead of typing non-sense sentences from Google Translate. I'm not going to give a gently caress and I'm not going to read your mind to try and figure out what you really want.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Simpleboo posted:

Try repeating whatever they say back to them to be sure. It's a less confrontational way of asking someone to repeat themselves, since it comes across that you are searching for meaning rather than pronunciation.

I work with gas station and convenience store owners, most of whom are Lebanese and Indian. Be sure to smile, because it calms you and the people around you. If you get frustrated, they will too! And frustrated people talk fast and angry, which is the opposite of what you want.

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
He was asking how he can understand her better, not how to be better understood by someone else. Her English is probably fine, accents are a different thing entirely, and she would probably be really insulted if he started talking like that just because he can't hear her right.

Most accents are just a matter of time and familiarity. Sometimes it helps to talk in writing only, but some of them have way better spoken than written English.

But yeah avoid phones if possible, they strip a lot of the subtleties away

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"Oh, if it doesn't have a name on it I just delete it as junk mail! Yes, even if it's a contract!"
To be fair that is not a terrible policy, because most stuff addressed to a function instead of a person IS junk mail. If you've negotiated a contract the issuer should have the name of a counterparty on it, so in this case it's the sender's fault.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My coworker, who frequently has EXACTLY the same information as me, if not more, always asks me how to do something, or how to fill out forms. I don't know, I'm guessing here too! You're literate, read the poo poo in front of your face.

I need to staple the XKCD look/guess/Google to his forehead.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair that is not a terrible policy, because most stuff addressed to a function instead of a person IS junk mail. If you've negotiated a contract the issuer should have the name of a counterparty on it, so in this case it's the sender's fault.

We named our shredder "IT Manager" for this reason.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Simpleboo posted:

I deal with this every day on the job. Just keep upbeat and ask questions and try to break down the issue. Once you've done that, repeat the issue to the user and troubleshoot from there. The quickest way to piss off other people who know they are hard to understand is to talk to them like a child or get indignant with them. If it's extremely hard to understand them, tell them to speak slowly, and if you have a word that you don't understand, repeat it back to them and ask them what it means. There have been times when I've had people speak arabic, french, and some chinese at me all in one sentence as they tried to tell me what they were dealing with.

Other than that, good luck! Keep smiling.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

AT&T is the thorn in my side this week. We can reliably get busy signals on any of our ~125 DID numbers, like every other test call we place during business hours is returning busy. Their support has been hot-potatoing this issue back and forth since last Wednesday, and only today have they figured out this affects the whole Houston area. I can't tell where the capacity problem lies, but it is affecting calls from mobile phones to all BVOIP customers.

This would be bad for a sales-based organization anyway, but one of our biggest vendors farms out their sales calls to distributors/resellers in a round-robin fashion. Since their callers don't know they've been sent to us until we speak with them, any of those that got busy signals would likely then call back to the vendor's main 800 number.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Oddhair posted:

AT&T is the thorn in my side this week. We can reliably get busy signals on any of our ~125 DID numbers, like every other test call we place during business hours is returning busy. Their support has been hot-potatoing this issue back and forth since last Wednesday, and only today have they figured out this affects the whole Houston area. I can't tell where the capacity problem lies, but it is affecting calls from mobile phones to all BVOIP customers.

This would be bad for a sales-based organization anyway, but one of our biggest vendors farms out their sales calls to distributors/resellers in a round-robin fashion. Since their callers don't know they've been sent to us until we speak with them, any of those that got busy signals would likely then call back to the vendor's main 800 number.

I have been marginally involved with a similar issue, which I will try to describe. When you make a call from any phone, it goes to your carrier. The carrier then has to route it to the destination carrier. The route it takes can go through many other carriers. The reason for this is first just plain connectivity - getting the call from point A to point B - and second different carriers have different agreements and different costs for routing over their network. Generally carriers will try to use the lowest cost route.

Over the last two months it appears that a low cost intermediate carrier, one that just exists to route calls between other carriers, was involved in some shenanigans with Verizon where they were trying to send long distance calls over a Verizon route usually used for local calls, since it was cheaper. Verizon figured this out and cut the route for use by other carriers. However, other carriers still had this route in their routing tables. This causes fast busys and delayed call set up. On traces you see multiple SIP INVITES because when the route fails, alternate routes are tried and the call either goes through after a delay or times out and gives a busy.

I say all of this because we have a customer that was having this problem, and we have been doing a lot of testing with different carriers. Most of them have identified the hole in their routing and fixed it. We are still having issues with ATT.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: our datacenter ISP routing traffic from our office in Mexico City to our datacenter in Mexico City via Houston and Dallas.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

luminalflux posted:

poo poo pissing me off: our datacenter ISP routing traffic from our office in Mexico City to our datacenter in Mexico City via Houston and Dallas.
NSA gotta get that traffic on American soil somehow!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Here's a mighty gently caress You to Comcast for doing the minimal amount of work to keep us informed during the 36-hour outage to our Business Class service. They did give us a credit of $4 which is the pro-rated rate for not having internet access for one day out of 31.

The incredible clown show that is Comcast support just boggles my mind. Over several calls I had reps:

- tell me that my account has been cancelled since last April (which was probably the last renter's account considering that is when I moved in) and I had to read them billing amounts off of my last bill that I downloaded from their web site on my phone to prove them otherwise

- suggest that I reboot my router when I needed to download anything (my connection would work for 5 minutes after each reboot)

- flat out hang up on me when I asked about the nature of the problem that was affecting my area

- be completely stymied while trying to comprehend the fact that I have Comcast Xfinity for home cable TV and Comcast Business Internet and Phone at the same address!

Also, Comcast: when I am calling to say that my connection is down, nothing gets my blood pressure up (well, more than it already is by having to call Comcast support) more than the IVR suggesting that I visit comcast.com to check for outages in my area. gently caress you.

I think I am ready to open a twitter account just so I can rant about Comcast. Apparently that's the only way to get service.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I think I am ready to open a twitter account just so I can rant about Comcast. Apparently that's the only way to get service.

Nope, you record all the conversations and post them on Reddit.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Agrikk posted:

Here's a mighty gently caress You to Comcast

I had to call Comcast here at work the other day because I needed to get an rDNS added to one of our static IPs. The first lady that I got ahd no clue what I was talking about and mid sentence of me explaining it to her our call got dropped. I am 100% sure that she just hung up on me. I called back and waited in the queue again though and got a guy that knew what to do.

Also if Comcast is rolling out their Public WiFi stuff in your area they will turn on a 2nd channel on your router to use for that. They claim there is no way for anyone to get into your systems using it though. gently caress that. I turned it off.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Trastion posted:

Also if Comcast is rolling out their Public WiFi stuff in your area they will turn on a 2nd channel on your router to use for that. They claim there is no way for anyone to get into your systems using it though. gently caress that. I turned it off.

What the gently caress?!

For content: Did a "mass deployment" of Quickbooks 14 today without an msi and had to update them all by hand so the client would stop crashing on the activation screen. gently caress off Intuit

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Roargasm posted:

What the gently caress?!

For content: Did a "mass deployment" of Quickbooks 14 today without an msi and had to update them all by hand so the client would stop crashing on the activation screen. gently caress off Intuit

This isn't just for Business Comcast either. They are doing it to your home router also. I own my own router so they can't use mine anyways. This is the main reason they forced everyone to upgrade to a new modem under the guise of moving to Docsis 3. They wanted to get everyone using the dual-radio modems so they can use the 2nd one, which is 5ghz compared to the 2.4ghz you get to use, for their Public WiFi crap.

Edit:

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 7, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Roargasm posted:

What the gently caress?!

Intuit's the loving worst. The one small blessing of my new company is not having to support Quickbooks Accountant & Enterprise 2007-2014.