Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
The best controls I've found are: B - Jump, Y - Normal, A - Special, L - Shield, R - Grab. This lets you easily do short hop nairs by just rolling your thumb.

Back to Shulk chat: The reason why you want to use speed is for dashing usmashes and pivot tilts. With how fast he moves in Speed, you can easily run up to an opponent and bait out a roll which you can punish with a tilt, and at the worst it's fairly safe on shield. You move too fast for opponents to really do much of anything on reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Can I use the DPAD for movement because the circlepad is really bad for this game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I suffered my first For Glory defeat to a Megaman. Then I rematched and destroyed him and the Dr. Mario that followed. :getin:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can I use the DPAD for movement because the circlepad is really bad for this game.

Nope, those are permanently bound to taunts.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

wow...game goes from "must buy" to "nah"

The controls from the demo were loving awful

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Short hopping with jump on L feels really good on the 3ds.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

How Rude posted:

I just left the controls the default and turned off tilt to jump (seriously gently caress that poo poo ruining so many uptilts). They feel fine to me, so I don't understand all the baby drama over it, they're customizable enough.

Good for you. The thing is that even with "customizable controls", the circle pad is still hosed and there's no c-stick, and no option to use the d-pad. It's tolerable enough, but I don't see myself ever coming back to this when the Wii U version comes out, and in some ways I almost regret buying it - at least I'm getting that awesome 2-disc soundtrack now, though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like how anyone who posts 'hey these controls are pretty good' gets a scathing quote from bonzi but everyone who says the controls are poo poo just kind of fly by

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The circle-pad isn't that pad, don't controller john.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

NTT posted:

I like how anyone who posts 'hey these controls are pretty good' gets a scathing quote from bonzi but everyone who says the controls are poo poo just kind of fly by

Its refreshing to see someone post something so blatantly retarded so effortlessly. The controls are poo poo doofus.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Sorry, but "the controls feel fine for me so they must be fine for everyone" is really, really dumb, especially considering this is without a doubt the smash brothers game with the worst controls.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
e; oh right we're in the grey forums. sorry kewpuh

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Sorry, but "the controls feel fine for me so they must be fine for everyone" is really, really dumb, especially considering this is without a doubt the smash brothers game with the worst controls.

I saw some guy at Canada Cup top 8 in MK9 using a Dell keyboard he somehow managed to hook up to a 360. If he can do that, there's nothing stopping anyone from finding success using the circle pad. If you're having a hard time with the controls maybe try a bit harder I guess.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tae posted:

You can't grab in the air.

Use a character with an aerial grab (Captain Falcon, Bowser, Ganondorf).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Keyboard controls are basically like a million dpads/buttons and not some squishy circle pad poo poo. If you could use the dpad the controls would go from loving awful to tolerable.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

fadam posted:

I saw some guy at Canada Cup top 8 in MK9 using a Dell keyboard he somehow managed to hook up to a 360. If he can do that, there's nothing stopping anyone from finding success using the circle pad. If you're having a hard time with the controls maybe try a bit harder I guess.

You don't need to bitch and make really thinly veiled insults because I said the controls are bad. Would you not agree that they're the worst controls in the series?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Turn the sound off for this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-Llt1o7Sk is the fighting as twitchy and dash heavy as these make it look

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pegged Lamb posted:

Turn the sound off for this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-Llt1o7Sk is the fighting as twitchy and dash heavy as these make it look

lol this is the hotel room whiner dude isn't it?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

bonzibuddy64 posted:

You don't need to bitch and make really thinly veiled insults because I said the controls are bad. Would you not agree that they're the worst controls in the series?

I dunno, Wiimote and nunchuck exists...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

It wasn't meant to be thinly veiled. There are plenty of people out there playing the new Smash brothers game and finding success at high levels of play EVEN THOUGH they're forced to use the circle pad. If you're struggling so much with the controls to the point where you have to come on to internet message boards and cry about them, the problem is with you not the game.

I also don't think the controls in this are any worse than Smash 64's.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

NTT posted:

I sympathize with the guy because he broke his 3DS circle pad playing this game he "regrets buying," but yeah Bonzai you could do a better job expressing your opinions if you're not doing the whole "I'm being a jackass on the Internet, aren't I hilarious?!" routine like virtualboyCOLOR. I agree the 3DS controls probably won't feel as good as a real controller, but with remapping it shouldn't be that big an issue. I can't even imagine it being comfortable to use the D-pad for movement, I have to curl my thumb down just to reach it. Are your hands really small enough that your thumb rests on the D-pad with a finger on the L-trigger?

On a different note, who's experimented with Mii Fighters? I know that the Mii's size affects weight and speed, but has anyone found out the extent of the differences yet?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Circle pad is great for 3D movement as you can make little adjustments when moving in a 3d space.

Its poo poo for 2D games because you just want to go go go go. I don't have time to wait for my thumb to slip and slide when I just want to press left to go.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The circle pad was at its worst in Luigi's Mansion when dodging all that stuff in the King Boo fight. Too slippery

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

I sympathize with the guy because he broke his 3DS circle pad playing this game he "regrets buying," but yeah Bonzai you could do a better job expressing your opinions if you're not doing the whole "I'm being a jackass on the Internet, aren't I hilarious?!" routine like virtualboyCOLOR.

Just saw this post and wanted to make sure you know you're a baby bitch.

Also,

CatsPajamas posted:

but with remapping it shouldn't be that big an issue. I can't even imagine it being comfortable to use the D-pad for movement, I have to curl my thumb down just to reach it. Are your hands really small enough that your thumb rests on the D-pad with a finger on the L-trigger?

If you have the circlepad pro LL then using the dpad is incredibly comfortable. Turns the 3DS into a real controller.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The world does not need a consensus on "is the circle pad on the 3DS good for smash". It's good for some people and some people can't get used to it, the world loving turns.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yep. Mos def. If/when nintendo gives the option to use the dpad I'll pick up smash for the 3DS. Otherwise I'll continue to wait until the Wii U release. Peace out~

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

fadam posted:

It wasn't meant to be thinly veiled. There are plenty of people out there playing the new Smash brothers game and finding success at high levels of play EVEN THOUGH they're forced to use the circle pad. If you're struggling so much with the controls to the point where you have to come on to internet message boards and cry about them, the problem is with you not the game.

hi i play fightman games and think these controls are not very good, hth

It's certainly serviceable (and infinitely better than Kid Icarus which would cause my babby hands to cramp up) but trying to do high precision movements is difficult given the cpad. Doing a DACUS for example is incredibly hard because of how the controls are, and there's a very real risk of ruining your cpad with regular Smash play. It's less of a problem with the game and more with the 3ds in general, although I don't know why they didn't allow dpad movement.

Plus no c-stick sucks.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

fadam posted:

Sorry, dude, but I never said I was "struggling with the controls", I just said they were bad. I don't think that many people will disagree with me on that. This is not an unusual or controversial opinion, I think you're just trying to make it into something bigger than it is because you're being a loving jerk.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yep. Mos def. If/when nintendo gives the option to use the dpad I'll pick up smash for the 3DS. Otherwise I'll continue to wait until the Wii U release. Peace out~

Just FYI I wouldn't expect the WiiU to let you use the DPad for movement either, although it has an actual control stick so most folks shouldn't have an issue with it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Sorry, dude, but I never said I was "struggling with the controls", I just said they were bad. I don't think that many people will disagree with me on that. This is not an unusual or controversial opinion, I think you're just trying to make it into something bigger than it is because you're being a loving jerk.

Okay, if you're not struggling with them then what's the big deal? Obviously they're not as good as using a GC controller, but they're also not worth being a giant crybaby over. Did you break your CPad or something?

Considering how simple this game is, the controls are more than capable of doing everything you need to be successful.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Okay, if you're not struggling with them then what's the big deal? Obviously they're not as good as using a GC controller, but they're also not worth being a giant crybaby over. Did you break your CPad or something?

Considering how simple this game is, the controls are more than capable of doing everything you need to be successful.

Well they're not very capable of doing that dash attack cancelled up smash or whatever it is and it's also not very capable at doing aerials in the opposite direction of your jump momentum, both of which are previously addressed by having a c-stick...!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

whalestory posted:

Well they're not very capable of doing that dash attack cancelled up smash or whatever it is and it's also not very capable at doing aerials in the opposite direction of your jump momentum, both of which are previously addressed by having a c-stick...!

I didn't play brawl too much but did anyone even bother with DACUS but Snake.

And the controls are more than capable of doing backwards aerials?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cmon people

i don't really mind the controls, but no c-stick and the somewhat less precise cpad definitely makes things worse

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Well yeah they're capable of that but they're not capable of preserving the momentum when you do those aerials. Like if I'm running left away from you and I want to do a back aerial to the right(towards you), I can't keep moving to the left while throwing out the aerial... I just end up moving back to the right! eH/ Eh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

fadam posted:

Control is everything, and there's a difference between adequate and "This feels precise."

I think I remembered characters like Link and Shiek that loves to upsmash after a dash.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't seem to hit 9.0

I got to 9.0 with Pac-Man and jobbed hard, 8.5 I absolutely demolished Master Core, only died to the doppleganger because I accidently side b'd myself. Tried again with Ganondorf and died to the dog at 9.0 but 2 stocked all the forms with like 30% damage. What changes in those .5?!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The circle pad is kinda wonky but anyone who thinks the d-pad would be any better in a game with the tilt/smash system is deluding themselves.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Brother Entropy posted:

The circle pad is kinda wonky but anyone who thinks the d-pad would be any better in a game with the tilt/smash system is deluding themselves.

This is not an emptyquote.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Uhhhh if Mega Man is so bad, how come I have a 60% win record with him on 1v1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uhhhh if Mega Man is so bad, how come I have a 60% win record with him on 1v1?

That's not how it works.

• Locked thread