Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

Meanwhile, even more comedy down in the Indian Ocean, at the Chagos Islands. The remote (and subsequently infamous) British colony of Diego Garcia receives a rare visit from a naval cruiser, and they dutifully give it all the welcome and honours that its station demands. Unfortunately for them, the cruiser is SMS Emden. The colony is so remote that it has no radio, and therefore no means of communication with the outside world. Nobody's dropped by to check on them in the last few months. They have no idea that they're supposed to be at war with the friendly German sailors, and for some strange reason Captain Muller is not in a hurry to correct this impression. Instead, they spend a pleasant week repairing Emden's damage, careening her hull, providing her with coal, and selling odds and sods to the crew.

This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Royal Naval Division finally piles off the train at Antwerp. They're welcomed as heroes, and they go straight into the defence. The Belgian garrison is still stubbornly clinging to the last ring of forts before the city proper, but it's soon obvious that the situation is completely hopeless. The ground in front of the forts has been completely cleared by Belgian engineers. Apparently this was done to improve observation and field of fire for the guns, but nobody seems to have considered that now the forts have been completely denuded of any natural cover, and stick out half a mile. The guns themselves are old and spit choking dust at the gunners with every shell they fire. The forts are connected by trenches, but that's 'trenches' in inverted commas. They're barely two feet deep, glorified ditches in the dirt, without reinforcement, without dugouts, without fire-bays, loopholes or sandbags.

And even before the Division has come under fire, the Belgians are leaving. There are still west roads open, and one critical railway line. Winston Churchill leaves by one of them. The Belgian Government and the King have already gone, and the field army is perparing to follow. News of the situation is also sent to 7th Division, and though they will still be able to land at Zeebrugge, any thought that they might then be able to help Antwerp is gone.

quote:

Leading Seaman Tobin, Hood Battalion, RND

On a brisk October morning we arrived in the port of Antwerp. The people lined the street, cheered, waved. There were flowers and wine. The war was young and so were we. We felt gallant, they felt relieved. Out to the trenches we went. We settled, opened reserve ammunition, fixed bayonets, and said "Let them come!"

Night came, but not the enemy. We posted sentries and settled down, but not for long. Heavy rifle fire broke out on the left, then on the right. We peered over. Searchlights from the fort swept the front. We could see nothing. We held our fire, and felt neglected.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why does america abbreviate aircraft carriers as cvs? Where does the V even come from?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Why does america abbreviate aircraft carriers as cvs? Where does the V even come from?

Wikipedia posted:

Aircraft carriers are ships designed primarily for the purpose of conducting combat operations by aircraft which engage in attacks against airborne, surface, sub-surface and shore targets. Contrary to popular belief, the "CV" hull classification symbol does not stand for "Carrier Vessel". The "CV" designation was originally derived from cruisers, since aircraft carriers were seen as an extension of the sea control and denial mission of cruisers. The "V" designation for heavier-than-air craft comes from the French verb voler (to fly).[7] Since 1935, "CV" has been a two-letter, unitary hull classification symbol meaning "aircraft carrier".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Two questions that this may or may not be the best place to ask:

1: Does anyone have a link decent pretty maps of the NATO/Warsaw Pact border in the mid-80's suitable for printing for a game?

2: Unrelated, does anyone have any information whatsoever on the BEF's tank marking scheme in 1940? I can find 1944+ out the wazoo for any unit I think to look for, but there's a pile of Matildas here that need fancying up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

CA was taken by armored cruisers, so they went with the next best thing as noted above.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Arquinsiel posted:

2: Unrelated, does anyone have any information whatsoever on the BEF's tank marking scheme in 1940? I can find 1944+ out the wazoo for any unit I think to look for, but there's a pile of Matildas here that need fancying up.

Here's a few sources for wargame painters:
http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm
http://www.miniatures.de/camouflage-british.html
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/Infantry_Tank_Matilda_II.php
http://mojobob.com/roleplay/wargaming/matilda2.html

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Also here
http://www.tankmuseum.org/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
1 May, 1626. Northern Italy. The town is called Bostugrande, but I can't find it on the map and these people are really bad at spelling in Italian.

Fendrich Hieronymus Sebastian Schutzer, Schützer, or Schütze, whom we last met here, is getting drunk with a bunch of officers and soldiers, including Lieutenant Felix Steter.

Because Schütze was "really blazed," (er aber sehr berauschet gewesen), he said "Save your reverence," left, and came back with his horse. He mounted it and jumped over the table, but the horse didn't quite make the jump cleanly and fell with him on its back. (Consider how big the room must be--I always imagine tiny, smoky, dark enclosures or something, but this must be some sort of huge barn-like structure, like the interiors soldiers are always hanging around in in genre paintings.) Neither was hurt, but the horse's hind leg hit Steter in the chest so that he "sank to the earth and lay before death."

Schütze has come within a hair of bringing his accidental death count within his own company to 2. (Considering that you can live and die as an experienced soldier without being involved in any pitched battles, he might have hurt more friends than enemies.) But the bystanders revive Steter. Schütze asks him how he's doing. "The horse gave me a good one," he says, and heads back to his own quarters.

This is not the problem. Nobody cares, and that isn't why this ended up going to court. This is why:

Schütze follows Steter, engaging in a series of fumbling and increasingly hysterical attempts to help. Is it possible that after having accidentally shot a friend of his in the head back in August that he's got some mental problems in this area? He asks to come back to Steter's quarters with him, which Steter refuses, and he asks Steter to get on his horse so he can take him home, which Steter also refuses, saying that he has his own horse and can fetch her if he feels like riding, but he'd rather not.

According to Steter, Schütze tries to grab him. According to some witnesses, they come to blows.

Then, Steter claims, Schütze insulted him (in at least two languages and possibly three--but if you think these guys spell badly in Italian you should see their Spanish). This is why he's filing an official complaint, because he says he wants his honorable name restored publicly, just as his honor was publicly taken away. Calling a dude a rogue, a dog, a beast, and (possibly) a testicle is far worse than injuring him.

Steter also clams that Schütze threatened to shoot another officer in the head once and that he verbally abused the Oberst's Regimentschreiber, so you can see the type of character we're dealing with here.

But while the witnesses remember the horse jumping the table, and the scuffle, nobody remembers hearing Schütze insult Steter. Moreover, the guy Schütze was supposed to have threatened said that there had been a quarrel between the two of them back in Bern but the Quartermaster and the Hauptmann resolved it, while the Regimentschreiber says he has nothing against Schütze...but he does have something against Steter, which he won't further specify.

In fact, one witness remembers Steter saying that he had enough cause to have Schütze arrested "and take the Fendlein for himself."

I don't have this regiment's pay scale. (Their muster roll exists but is currently being microfilmed. No word on when it'll be available.) I do have a pay scale from around the same time, though (1623): in that company, the Fendrich makes 70 gulden/month and is listed second on the Prima Plana (the part of the roll with the officers on it), while the Lieutenant makes 60 and is listed third.

Steter wants Schütze's job.

Judgement, delivered 29 May 1626.

The assembled council decides two things: One, the Fendrich attacked the Lieutenant verbally, injuring his honorable name.

Two, and this I'll reproduce verbatim:

quote:

Because also however Lieutenant Steter sent after his witnesses the next morning and consulted with them about the incident, it is probable that he must have been no less plastered than the Fendrich, and everyone, according to the counsel of our praiseworthy Articles of War, must refrain from drunkenness. Also, in the absence of the Hauptmann both officers and common soldiers must present the best example.

Thus this falls to the highest discretion of the Oberst Lieutenant as to whether or not both of them should be arrested together.

Subtext, probably: "We know what's going on but we're too polite to say it, Steter. Shut up before we shut you up. Good day."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 8, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

Schütze and Steter.

:allears:

Never stop posting.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Statistically, though, you should probably not drink with that dude if you want to finish out the war in good health.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looks like Blackadder (or Baldrick, at the very least) had some adventures in Germany.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Somebody could make comedy series out of those antics, despite the horrifiying events in the background.

my dad posted:

Looks like Blackadder (or Baldrick, at the very least) had some adventures in Germany.

Well they did do a one off spin off set in the English Civil Wars of the 17th cenury now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Actually, considering that the only weapons a Fendrich carries in battle are his personal ones (sword and dagger, pistol/s if he feels like it), Schütze/Schutzer might in fact be more of a danger to the people he hangs out with than to his enemies.

Edit: It's interesting that when Steter wants to blacken Schütze's reputation, he chooses to say that he threatened to shoot a guy in the head. All the fights I've read about so far involve daggers or swords, maybe fists once or twice. It's really unusual to shoot a guy in anger. Looks like Schütze's company associates him with shooting people in the head ever since that thing in August. Which is awkward.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 7, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Well, you know what they say. You gently caress one goat...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

Looks like Schütze's company associates him with shooting people in the head ever since that thing in August. Which is awkward.

I don't blame them. He's even named 'Shooter'.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ArchangeI posted:

Well, you know what they say. You gently caress one goat...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=90b_1381707093

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

1: Does anyone have a link decent pretty maps of the NATO/Warsaw Pact border in the mid-80's suitable for printing for a game?

Are you thinking of 1:50000 staff maps or something? Because I've seen paper versions of those listed on ebay IIRC and they were definitely not cheap.

It's the Militärgeographische Dienststelle/Militärgeographisches Amt/Amt für Militärisches Geowesen M745 series you might want to take a look at:

e: also http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AGermany+%28West%29+Maps.&qt=hot_subject etc.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't blame them. He's even named 'Shooter'.
I'm still not sure how many of these people have picked their own names. In the rolls I have met people with last names like "Desertion," "Hears The Cry" (those two have been friends for years, which I can tell because they keep transferring from one company to another together), "Drink Wine," "Evil," and something kind of like "Ambitious" (Hochgreifer). I've read a bunch about nicknames in the 16th century, but the only secondary source available says that military nicknames are no longer recorded in the 17th, exemplifying the increasing social control imposed upon soldiers. Are they wrong?

(I also came across a troop of horse with two people in it named Hans Schmidt: "Hans Schmidt the shy" and "Hans Schmidt the foul [garstig]." What you have to do for 17th century cavalry to decide that you're a douchebag, I do not know.)

Edit: They didn't kick him out though. Just immortalized him as "Yeah that dude? Total jerkass."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

What you have to do for 17th century cavalry to decide that you're a douchebag, I do not know.

"Dude, you're completely covered in poo poo!"
"Don't worry, it'll fall off once it's dried."

(Variation of a russian joke)

e: Wasn't there Hans Schmidt the foul nasty [garstig] before the edit?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

I'm still not sure how many of these people have picked their own names. In the rolls I have met people with last names like "Desertion," "Hears The Cry" (those two have been friends for years, which I can tell because they keep transferring from one company to another together), "Drink Wine," "Evil," and something kind of like "Ambitious" (Hochgreifer). I've read a bunch about nicknames in the 16th century, but the only secondary source available says that military nicknames are no longer recorded in the 17th, exemplifying the increasing social control imposed upon soldiers. Are they wrong?

(I also came across a troop of horse with two people in it named Hans Schmidt: "Hans Schmidt the shy" and "Hans Schmidt the foul [garstig]." What you have to do for 17th century cavalry to decide that you're a douchebag, I do not know.)

Edit: They didn't kick him out though. Just immortalized him as "Yeah that dude? Total jerkass."

Maybe he didn't drink alcohol, didn't bathe, collected oriental art and his helmet had a brim.

Swedish allotment system also used soldier names.

quote:

Soldier names:

When a soldier was enrolled he was given a special "soldier name" by the Captain of the Company. In each company the soldiers had to have a unique last name. When an order was given to a certain soldier only one soldier was to react. A lot of soldiers with the same last name could generate problems. These soldier names was of a special character, many of the names had military touch. Some of the names assigned were for example:

Sköld (Shield), Attack, Modig (Brave), Stål (Steel) and Svärd (Sword).
There could also be names like Glad (Happy), Rolig (Funny), Lång (Tall), Munter (Cheerful) and Flink (Quick) etc.
In the Navy the names often were associated with nautical terms like Ankare (Anchor), Däck (Deck), Kompass (Compass), Segel (Sail), Mast (Mast), Köl (Keel) and Talja (Tackle).

But a large number of soldier names were those that were related to the name of the "rote". For example if the name of the "rote" was Sundby the soldier's name could be Sund or Sundin.

Independent of which name was used, the name was linked to the "rote". When a soldier died or was discharged the new recruit often inherited the old soldier’s name of that "rote". When a soldier had to move to another "rote" he was given the soldier name that previously was used at that "rote". This was normally the case if he moved to another Company. If he moved to another "rote" within the Company, the soldier often kept the soldier name he already had. If a soldier didn’t like the name he was assigned he could have it changed as long it was unique in his Company.

The same name could be used at different Companies however, within the same company, each soldier's name was unique. So there could be many soldiers named "Attack" within a Regiment but only one soldier with the name Attack in the same Company. This means that many soldiers in a Regiment over a period of time could have used the same name.

In the Army they started to use these special soldier names in the 1680’s. The Navy started to use special sailor names about 30 or 40 years later.

The "rote" also had a number. In total there normally were 1,200 "rotar" in the province that provided soldiers to the Regiment. This number was also the soldier’s number. For example, soldier "407 Attack". That meant he was soldier 407 (out of 1,200) and belonged to "rote" number 407. His soldier name was of course Attack.
When a soldier moved to another "rote" he always adopted the number of the new "rote". The number belonged to the "rote".

When a soldier retired he normally took back his ordinary last name. But it also was not unusual for the discharged soldiers to keep their soldier name, especially during the 19th century.

edit: There could probably be some problems in the navy now that I think about it.
"Drop the anchor."
"Noooo!"

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 7, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

e: Wasn't there Hans Schmidt the foul nasty [garstig] before the edit?
I think so. I just thought it was funny that the dude is foul enough for someone to record it officially, but not so bad that he gets kicked out or anything. Although that's from '81 and I haven't read many trials and poo poo from the '80s, maybe he runs into his subculture's legal system a bunch.

Hogge Wild posted:

Swedish allotment system also used soldier names [and serial numbers]
17th century Sweden is a fantasy dystopia, come into Germany to punish us for our sins.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 7, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What was considered foul back then? The stories of Till Eulenspiegel might give a hint.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HEY GAL posted:

Fendrich Hieronymus Sebastian Schutzer, Schützer, or Schütze

Does Fendrich rhyme with Schmendrick? These are the best stories. :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LordSaturn posted:

Does Fendrich rhyme with Schmendrick? These are the best stories. :allears:
The hilarious thing is that this is a position of great honor and responsibility--he's the flag dude, he bears "the soul of the company." (Note that when Steter says he wants his job he literally says he has enough evidence to "take the flag away from him.") He probably keeps it in his room most of the time, and when his battalion deploys into the field he stands with the other Fendriches either before it or in its very center.

This is some serious poo poo. It's almost religious as far as his culture is concerned. (Fendriches are also responsible for adjudicating minor disputes among the common soldiers, stuff that isn't important enough to make it into the court documents.)

And I have no reason to doubt that while he's on the job he's worthy of his charge. I have three of his regiment's court-books and he doesn't show up (or hasn't yet shown up) for cowardice, slacking, or anything else. Just...homeboy knows how to party.

On a related note, it's also really interesting to me that officers and common soldiers hang out either in the same place or actually together. There's none of the forced and stringent distance between officers and men that you see later--nobody seems to wonder if, if you see a dude blazed out of his mind on Sunday night (or if you know that he pouts and ragequits when he loses at dice), you might be less likely to obey him on Monday morning. Maybe you're more likely--this is a person you know more deeply than your 18th century equivalent will know his under-officers.

They're more likely to have come from the same social class too--I've seen plenty of common officers (like Schütze and Steter), and there's always a sprinkling of "vons" among the common soldiers.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 7, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love that Drink Wine is a nickname. I'm going to remember that one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

1 May, 1626. Northern Italy. The town is called Bostugrande, but I can't find it on the map and these people are really bad at spelling in Italian.

What conflict are these guys involved in? I didn't think the 30YW had all that much going on in Italy, but maybe these guys are just garrisoned there? Or is they involved in one of the many squabbles between the Italian states?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

What conflict are these guys involved in? I didn't think the 30YW had all that much going on in Italy, but maybe these guys are just garrisoned there? Or is they involved in one of the many squabbles between the Italian states?
No, this is the 30yw. The Grisons have revolted against the King of Spain, who in 1625 hired at least two regiments of Saxons to open the Val Telline for him. (Wallenstein wanted the contract but didn't get it. No idea why.)

This protects the vital "Spanish Road," a network of places and routes that Spain uses to shuttle men, supplies, food, and cash back and forth between southern Italy, its territories in northern Italy like Milan, and the war in the Netherlands (which didn't originally have anything to do with the 30yw but just started up again back in '21). That is to say, it's a pipe through which Spain shoves money to a place where it will be carefully collected, piled into a pit, and then set on fire.

Except for the Oberst Lieutenant, who's either Spanish or Italian (took part in the famous siege of Breda!) and hired for the occasion probably as some sort of liaison between these dudes and the locals, most of these guys are probably Lutheran. Their Articles of War lists every single one of the King of Spain's titles except "Most Catholic Monarch."

Edit: There's hardly any squabbles between Italian states any more, because almost all of them are either direct subjects of the king of Spain, client states of the Spainish empire, or clients of France. The 30yw in Italy takes the form of the first two either fighting the second, or France trying to peel them off of Spain. The Papal States want very hard to remain neutral. I forgot what Venice is doing.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 7, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're near Hamburg the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe has a special exhibit of WW1 propaganda until Nov 2nd. I went to see it today, it is really good. The entire museum is super interesting actually.

The WW1 exhibit has a special website at https://www.propaganda1418.de for more info.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Around that time Venice was mostly doing its own thing along with some tension with Spain and the HRE. They were sort of involved with the War of Mantuan Succesion which was a peripheral conflict of the 30YW fought mainly between France against the HRE, Spain, and Savoy. Venice was allied with France at the time and they tried to march to aid Mantua which was under siege by German troops. However the Venetians never made it as their army was defeated on the way there. The Germans sacked Mantua though ultimately the war ended on terms favorable to the French due to the HRE needing to focus on their war with the Swedes.

The armies during this conflict also happened to bring the plague with them that wiped out roughly a third of the Venetian population.

Almost 2 decades later the Venetians were busy fighting the Cretan War against the Ottomans which would last for 25 years and result in the Ottoman conquest of Crete.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

if you see a dude blazed out of his mind on Sunday night

When you say blazed, does that refer to being drunk or high on weed? I've always seen it meant as the latter, but I didn't think they smoked marijuana in Europe back then. Have you run into any references to drug use outside of alcohol and tobacco?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

When you say blazed, does that refer to being drunk or high on weed? I've always seen it meant as the latter, but I didn't think they smoked marijuana in Europe back then. Have you run into any references to drug use outside of alcohol and tobacco?
Nah, I meant drunk and since they say "smoked" to mean "really drunk" that's how I translate it. In the actual dissertation, though, I think I'll translate their slang as literally as possible to preserve a sense of strangeness. Like worldbuilding but for real life--since these people do inhabit a world that's alien from our own.

You can eat opium in early modern Europe, but I haven't personally seen anyone do it yet.

Edit: And coffee houses are the chic new thing, but I haven't come across any references to coffee either. It's possible that people do not yet drink it out of the coffee-house setting. Same for chocolate, if you're Spanish (sugar optional :yum:).

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Actually, come to that, are there any notable uses of combat drugs in history? I know that amphetamines were commonly used in World War 2, but I'm curious about earlier usages.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

Actually, come to that, are there any notable uses of combat drugs in history? I know that amphetamines were commonly used in World War 2, but I'm curious about earlier usages.

Does alcohol count? I know there's a lot out there in pop culture about the brits giving rum (and I think later gin) rations pretty liberally before battles, basically from the American War of Independence through WW1 at least.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Isn't getting all high the whole basis for Viking and Germanic berserkers too? Or were they not actually a thing.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Opiates as Victorian campaigning panaceas.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Antwerp is a lost cause. The Belgian field army is evacuating as quickly as possible down every west road. The Royal Naval Division remain in their scrapes in the ground and continue to wait. They're not even coming under attack. The Germans have chosen to concentrate their fire on areas held by the local garrison troops, and they've now advanced far enough for their heaviest guns to fire on the city itself.

quote:

Leading Seaman Tobin, RND

Morning came, but still no enemy. Suddenly, high in the sky went a train-like rumble and whistle, followed by an explosion. Smoke and flame shot up in the city. An old hand said "Them's howitzer shells, the bastards must be a dozen miles away."

At intervals throughout the day, these rumbling shells rolled over, flames shooting up after each explosion. Then the oil tanks by the dockside were alight. The smoke gathered over the port to join the autumn mists, and the glow from the fires. It looked like hell. We could only wait. We felt useless.

Meanwhile, the 7th Division has arrived at Ostend, and then marches towards Bruges. The Channel ports are no longer wide open, although the Allies are still many miles from winning what's often (inaccurately; it completely mischaracterises the nature of the battles) referred to as the Race to the Sea. So, where's everyone else?

The RND and Marines are still mouldering in Antwerp. The original BEF is divided many ways as it crawls north; the ones making the best time are just crossing the River Somme at Abbeville. The Germans are still trying to push the French off Vimy Ridge; a line has established itself east of Arras, but the French can't move enough men north quickly enough to stop the Germans installing themselves in Lens, and the line begins to form just west of the city. To the north, a critical Belgian railway line runs from Bruges through Roulers and Mouscron to Lille and then into Lens. From Lille, even in 1914 you can get everywhere; including places like St Quentin, now firmly in German hands, where reserves might be usefully kept for maximum flexibility in travel. If the Allies can seize and hold that railway, they will likewise be able to reinforce the area as needed while keeping their reserves in a more flexible position.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

These are mostly just camo colours as far as I can tell, but at least I know where the anti-gas paint flash goes now so that's progress. Thanks!

Koesj posted:

Are you thinking of 1:50000 staff maps or something? Because I've seen paper versions of those listed on ebay IIRC and they were definitely not cheap.

It's the Militärgeographische Dienststelle/Militärgeographisches Amt/Amt für Militärisches Geowesen M745 series you might want to take a look at:

e: also http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AGermany+%28West%29+Maps.&qt=hot_subject etc.
Something with lots of "detail" that will essentially be ignored by the players while they decide whether to nuke each other or not. This map actually looks perfect since I can edit out whichever locations are on the "wrong" side of the border and just replace stuff with question marks or whatever. The players aren't likely to look too hard.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

People never ceased smoking or eating it, but it became more popular with the rise of coffee houses, where different forms were traded under the name "Orient".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

Isn't getting all high the whole basis for Viking and Germanic berserkers too? Or were they not actually a thing.

Being a berserker was some kind of cultural/religious thing. They might have used hallucinogenic mushrooms as part of their rites, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were drugged on the battlefield. I'd think that if you were totally shitfaced or tripping your balls off, you'd be killed quite easily by a sober enemy.

• Locked thread