Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Yes. It basically makes the edge of the protrusion (as opposed to the flat face of the protruction) sacrificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Isn't the camera lens flush with the housing? My whole lens sits right against whatever surface the phone is laying on.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I didn't see a general iOS8 thread, so if there is one and someone points me to it, I'll post over there, but:

I got my 6 and it's great, thought I'd have a problem with the size, but the thin-ness actually makes it less noticeable in my pockets. I wiped my iphone 5 and gave it to my girlfriend as a iPod touch so she can iMessage and play games and whatnot. We set up family sharing so we can share a calendar with my crazy work schedule and all is well and good.

The issue I'm running into is that despite doing the family sharing, she can't see and download my purchased apps. We made her an Apple ID and I invited her OK. We tried using both her Apple ID and my Apple ID under her name in the family sharing thing and neither one will work for apps showing in the app store. Anyone else having an issue with this? I thought the whole point was that your family could use your apps without buying them twice?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Isn't the camera lens flush with the housing? My whole lens sits right against whatever surface the phone is laying on.

Even if it was, given that the rest of the phone is not level with the lens, wouldn't that mean your phone was 'planking' at an angle and all that would come in direct contact with surface would have to be the housing ring?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been thinking about the notion that a protruding camera lens makes it more susceptible to scratches when you set it down. I'm not sure that's true.

When the lens is flush with the back of the phone, the entire surface back makes contact with the surface its laid on. But when the camera is protruding, the lens doesn't make contact - the edge of the housing does. So while that edge may experience more wear, the lens does not, and you reduce otherwise conspicuous scratching on the back of the phone.

While that's true in theory, I don't think the camera "protrusion" is deep enough to have any noticeable effect. The glass of your camera lens is probably still scrapping against whatever surface you lay it on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Isn't the lens sapphire anyway? You'd practically have to TRY to gently caress it up.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Is anyone else having a lot of issues? I'm on the iPhone 6, 8.0.2, and I'm experiencing the following:

Little to no service in my house, despite my last phone being just fine
Touch ID working about half the time
The wifi will just stop working or turn off
Little glitches in some of the apps, I had Facebook displaying as half the screen after watching a video
Random hard resets

It's all very frustrating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Agronox posted:

Isn't the lens sapphire anyway? You'd practically have to TRY to gently caress it up.

I've scratched the poo poo out of a sapphire-faced watch by catching it on metal doorways and stuff, but that's not too likely with a phone.

Meanwhile, the front screen is normal gorilla glass so I've somehow managed to get a tiny, visible ding in it despite treating the device like a baby and only putting it in a pocket by itself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So probably getting the iphone 6. Had the Switch easy tones for my 5 and liked it quite a bit. Dropped it more times than I could count. Anyone get it for the 6? Assume it's just as good? Or any other slim low profile options that will cover a drop from any angle?

Also prefer to sacrifice a bit of screen quality for a anti-glare/smudge resistant screen protector. Any recommendations there? Everytime a new iphone comes out there's a ton of new companies making the anti-glare/smudge resistant screen protectors.

Lastly, have this JBL Onbeat speaker dock. The case makes it just a bit too short to fully fit in. Any simple lighting connection/extension bit I can get that would work well here? Otherwise just going to dremel the outline of the adapter around the case. We'll see how the speck case fits with it and the iphone 6.

Guess we'll see if AT&T will give me $200 for this 16 gb unless I'm missing something

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Christoff posted:

So probably getting the iphone 6. Had the Switch easy tones for my 5 and liked it quite a bit. Dropped it more times than I could count. Anyone get it for the 6? Assume it's just as good? Or any other slim low profile options that will cover a drop from any angle?

Also prefer to sacrifice a bit of screen quality for a anti-glare/smudge resistant screen protector. Any recommendations there? Everytime a new iphone comes out there's a ton of new companies making the anti-glare/smudge resistant screen protectors.

Lastly, have this JBL Onbeat speaker dock. The case makes it just a bit too short to fully fit in. Any simple lighting connection/extension bit I can get that would work well here? Otherwise just going to dremel the outline of the adapter around the case. We'll see how the speck case fits with it and the iphone 6.

Guess we'll see if AT&T will give me $200 for this 16 gb unless I'm missing something

This doesn't help much, but it should be noted everywhere that Switcheasy uses the absolute cheapest and worse plastic for their accessories and cares about 0% about it. Truly the worst quality cases around. What's funny is I kinda collect cases throughout the year, so I get a handful from China with cheap stickers tacked onto plastic and they have better grip and feel than any SE case I've used.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been thinking about the notion that a protruding camera lens makes it more susceptible to scratches when you set it down. I'm not sure that's true.

When the lens is flush with the back of the phone, the entire surface back makes contact with the surface its laid on. But when the camera is protruding, the lens doesn't make contact - the edge of the housing does. So while that edge may experience more wear, the lens does not, and you reduce otherwise conspicuous scratching on the back of the phone.

I had an iPhone 4 with a flush camera and it got scratched to all hell. But that was plastic (or glass?) and this is sapphire.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Meanwhile, the front screen is normal gorilla glass so I've somehow managed to get a tiny, visible ding in it despite treating the device like a baby and only putting it in a pocket by itself.
Should've gotten a screen protector. :v:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

This doesn't help much, but it should be noted everywhere that Switcheasy uses the absolute cheapest and worse plastic for their accessories and cares about 0% about it. Truly the worst quality cases around. What's funny is I kinda collect cases throughout the year, so I get a handful from China with cheap stickers tacked onto plastic and they have better grip and feel than any SE case I've used.

Mine did fall apart after 2 years but it was dropped and banged up quite a bit. Is there anything else similar and low profile that will protect well from any drop angle?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Christoff posted:

Mine did fall apart after 2 years but it was dropped and banged up quite a bit. Is there anything else similar and low profile that will protect well from any drop angle?

Poetic seems to be taking charge in the "cheap, slim, durable" game with Spigen leaving the scene to make all kinds of cases for a pretty coin.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Atmosphere-Slim-Fit-Transparent/dp/B00MEVMVCS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Should've gotten a screen protector. :v:

Well it does seem like something that a screen protector will cover up pretty easily, at least.

I dunno I'm almost convinced it's a defect in the screen. I can't feel it with my fingernail and it's just this little dot in the screen that refracts the light behind it; it's not shaped like a scratch.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Militree posted:

Is anyone else having a lot of issues? I'm on the iPhone 6, 8.0.2, and I'm experiencing the following:

Little to no service in my house, despite my last phone being just fine
Touch ID working about half the time
The wifi will just stop working or turn off
Little glitches in some of the apps, I had Facebook displaying as half the screen after watching a video
Random hard resets

It's all very frustrating.

I'm still having annoying wifi issues with iOS 8 on my 5s (it will be very spotty or drop connection despite being perfectly fine before etc). That said... that's a lot more issues than I have. Restore from a backup / to factory settings or make a genius bar appointment.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Clocks posted:

I'm still having annoying wifi issues with iOS 8 on my 5s (it will be very spotty or drop connection despite being perfectly fine before etc). That said... that's a lot more issues than I have. Restore from a backup / to factory settings or make a genius bar appointment.

The closest Apple Store is about 2-3 hours away, so I'll have to play with the factory reset. I will probably take it back to the T-Mobile store tomorrow, too.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
God drat, we're on iOS 8 now and the iPhone is still so loving bad at knowing when to let go of a weak wi-fi signal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Clocks posted:

I'm current is on a 6+and have most of those issues well. Ios8 is just buggy. It won't be, but it is now.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Feenix posted:

I'm current is on a 6+and have most of those issues well. Ios8 is just buggy. It won't be, but it is now.

Do you have the issue with the poor calling reception? That's the biggest issue right now, and I need to do something before my 14 days are up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

illcendiary posted:

God drat, we're on iOS 8 now and the iPhone is still so loving bad at knowing when to let go of a weak wi-fi signal.
Your phone being able to connect with a weak wifi signal seems like something you'd want. :confused:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Militree posted:

Do you have the issue with the poor calling reception? That's the biggest issue right now, and I need to do something before my 14 days are up.

I don't loving make calls with my iPhone, you weirdo!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Your phone being able to connect with a weak wifi signal seems like something you'd want. :confused:

Not when it's so weak that it's functionally useless. It's basically me leaving my home in the morning, yet still seeing a Wi-Fi signal when I'm a quarter mile away. The phone sees a signal but it's so slow so as to be essentially a lost connection. Annoying as poo poo

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

illcendiary posted:

Not when it's so weak that it's functionally useless. It's basically me leaving my home in the morning, yet still seeing a Wi-Fi signal when I'm a quarter mile away. The phone sees a signal but it's so slow so as to be essentially a lost connection. Annoying as poo poo
Do you walk to work? Do you drive really really slowly? It seems that the time between when the signal is useless and the time when it actually disconnects should be inconsequential. 30 seconds at most.

The reason it just doesn't drop connection willy nilly at the first sign of low signal strength is that would be annoying and also battery intensive for someone who actually wanted to stay connected to that network.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

It's a short drive out of my apartment complex. Just wish the phone were better about prioritizing the LTE signal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah a weak signal is nice but hanging on to a functionally dead signal is annoying and is why I turn off wifi a lot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that poo poo is a little annoying. You hop in your car and load up streaming audio or directions and it'll time out over wifi, forcing you to manually switch it off. I don't see how it'd be battery intensive to place the cutoff above the level of an unusable signal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Poetic seems to be taking charge in the "cheap, slim, durable" game with Spigen leaving the scene to make all kinds of cases for a pretty coin.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Atmosphere-Slim-Fit-Transparent/dp/B00MEVMVCS

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-i-Blas...+6+charger+case

This i-blason one seems pretty nice. Anyone have any experience with it?

or this maxboost one. Don't know why it only comes in 1 color

http://www.amazon.com/Maxboost%C2%A...s=iphone+6+case

and lastly this one from Spigen

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Spigen-Armor-4-7-Inch/dp/B00JH88GB6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1412652865&sr=8-5&keywords=iphone+6+case

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 7, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah that poo poo is a little annoying. You hop in your car and load up streaming audio or directions and it'll time out over wifi, forcing you to manually switch it off. I don't see how it'd be battery intensive to place the cutoff above the level of an unusable signal.
I don't think the issue is that it tries to retain a weak signal as much as there's a timeout period before it looks for another connection.

Look at it from the other side. If the phone is willing to switch off its current connection very easily, you end up with a situation where it could be constantly switching between wifi and cellular if the wifi signal momentarily loses connection.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Christoff posted:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-i-Blas...+6+charger+case

This i-blason one seems pretty nice. Anyone have any experience with it?

or this maxboost one. Don't know why it only comes in 1 color

http://www.amazon.com/Maxboost%C2%A...s=iphone+6+case

and lastly this one from Spigen

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Spigen-Armor-4-7-Inch/dp/B00JH88GB6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1412652865&sr=8-5&keywords=iphone+6+case

I settled on this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KEL0MD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 after looking at way too many thin cheap cases. The rubber/sandy texture sounds like it's gonna be pretty great to hold(my main concern), and it looks nice too. I had the leather case but decided to go with a leather sleeve for more serious protection when not in use.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I settled on this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KEL0MD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 after looking at way too many thin cheap cases. The rubber/sandy texture sounds like it's gonna be pretty great to hold(my main concern), and it looks nice too. I had the leather case but decided to go with a leather sleeve for more serious protection when not in use.

I need that bevel edged all the way around.

I drop my phones a lot.

The JBL speaker has a USB plug that will play music through USB and charge the phone through whether or not the speaker is on. Pretty cool. Guess I don't have to worry about docking it or a case with a bottom portion that comes off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Christoff posted:

I need that bevel edged all the way around.

I drop my phones a lot.

If you want that lip all the way around the screen, I'm waiting for the elago Glide to come in for the 6. For three different-shaped iPhones, that's been my favorite sub-$12 slider style case. Elago promised Twitter that the 6 version is coming "soon."

That "maxboost" thing is the same style, but who knows what the fit is like.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

illcendiary posted:

Is it possible your phones are busted? I've had every iPhone since the 3g and never had that kind of problem.

Alternately, are there a ton of ssid's at your home? At home I can only see 2 ssid's besides mine, but I have heard that having a lot of wifi AP's, especially open ones, can make iPhones spend a lot of time and battery finding the best, over and over.

Have you tried (can you try) "forgetting" any local open APs? Or maybe reset network settings and only log onto the one you want.

FWIW, I have an airport extreme and a cheapo $19 extender for the front for my house, and we have no trouble with a 4s, 5, 5s, 6, pad2, pad3, and a padAir.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok I have the latest version of itunes, my firewall is off, no other anti-virus etc. But whenever I try to download the newest iphone firmware I get the connection timeout error once it's at 100%. What gives? Re-install itunes?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd rather have it switch over to LTE than keep trying to connect to my campus wifi when I'm not even in a building and it won't actually load anything while it's connected because the signal is so weak. I have to manually switch wifi off when I'm walking to a different building.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm having an issue with my iPhone 6. Very occasionally it will act as if the volume up button is constantly being pressed. The volume is stuck at max and the volume icon that covers the middle of the screen is constant. Turning on and off fixes it.

Has anyone else run into this? Is it likely software or hardware related.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Sometimes my older models of iTunes would do this. It wasn't very consistent and I assume it's a software bug.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

Is it possible your phones are busted? I've had every iPhone since the 3g and never had that kind of problem.

Alternately, are there a ton of ssid's at your home? At home I can only see 2 ssid's besides mine, but I have heard that having a lot of wifi AP's, especially open ones, can make iPhones spend a lot of time and battery finding the best, over and over.

Have you tried (can you try) "forgetting" any local open APs? Or maybe reset network settings and only log onto the one you want.

FWIW, I have an airport extreme and a cheapo $19 extender for the front for my house, and we have no trouble with a 4s, 5, 5s, 6, pad2, pad3, and a padAir.

Your use case is different. I can have the same problem as the others quoted as my wifi only just barely covers my garage but the signal is so weak it's useless. I have to drive out my driveway before my iPhone will give up on trying to connect to it. I'd totally be down on Apple taking another look at their wifi/LTE switchover threshold.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Your use case is different. I can have the same problem as the others quoted as my wifi only just barely covers my garage but the signal is so weak it's useless. I have to drive out my driveway before my iPhone will give up on trying to connect to it. I'd totally be down on Apple taking another look at their wifi/LTE switchover threshold.

Yeah, I find this annoying as well. If my car is parked half a block away, then when I get there it's still connected to my wifi but too slow to use Google Maps. It would be even more annoying if I was running some streaming service and had to restart the whole mess, which is what seems to be happening to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I find this annoying as well. If my car is parked half a block away, then when I get there it's still connected to my wifi but too slow to use Google Maps. It would be even more annoying if I was running some streaming service and had to restart the whole mess, which is what seems to be happening to you.

Yeah, it seems like the phone should be able to tell when you are moving steadily away from a wifi signal and handle it differently than if the signal just randomly drops out while you aren't moving somewhere.