Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Wildeyes posted:

Not sure if it's been posted, but the Nicktoons channel is going to air every episode of season 3 this week(?). That's right, on the TV.
... gently caress. I got excited for a moment because my lovely connection made streaming the last half look like rear end. But as it turns out, I don't get an HD version of that channel. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sato posted:

Then again, I still think the best villain in Korra (other than the Red Lotus) is Varrick. That poo poo-eating smirk in Asami's office was one of the few things Studio Pierrot actually did right.

This.

Seriously, I was never that bothered by the beginning of Season 2. Korra was frustratingly boneheaded, Season 1 seemed to have vanished from the planet, and the politics kinda fizzled. Not very riveting stuff. BUT! Bolin's movie career was hilarious to me (especially the movies, which culminated in the BEST FIGHT SCENE OF ALL OF AVATAR, YES I STILL THINK THAT), Mako showed what he was always meant to be, the no-nonsense supercop (romance plots aside), we got some insight into the spirit world... and Varrick. Hell, I think that this guy alone redeems the entire Republic City subplot. I love how he always is this super-goofy comic relief, and when it's obvious he's a villain, he keeps on being goofy. He really is an utterly self-serving lovable rear end in a top hat, and - if you ask me - perfect for Bolin's and Mako's arc. Of course he makes a daring escape in the end, who didn't want to see him do that?

Speaking of which - it seems pretty clear that the magnetic suit Varrick demonstrated in S3 is coming back... I wonder if that's how Kuvira will ultimately take down other metalbenders, if/when she overthrows the Metal Clan or whatevs. I wouldn't be surprised if some other threat takes center at some point, though. Red Lotus has gotta play part somehow...

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Plus it appears one of those mechas will be piloted by Zhu Li. :black101:

I actually liked Book 2 for the most part, questionable animation aside. I could have done without the applause when Mako turned out to be right, Lin's sudden stupidity, Bolin mixing his life and Nuktuk's up, and Mako getting back with Asami, but I've always loved the spiritual side of Avatar and the history behind the Avatar role so the season was made for me. Plus I loved the concept behind the mover subplot and agree that the battle is one of the best.

I binged the series in the run up to Book 4 and Korra's ignorance of Book 1 actually made sense to me for the reasons we complained about when that book ended. She may have been frightened by Amon but in the end she got her bending back and nothing particularly bad happened; heck, she even benefited by gaining access to the Avatar State. I don't blame her for being cocky. It's after Book 2 where there are actual lasting consequences we really see Korra start to fumble.

Sato fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 6, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Legend of Korra, tackling the topics that affect us all

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I wonder if we're going to learn more about how the heck Kuvira got so much power anyway. When we saw her in season 3, she was a security guard and practicing for that dance performance. Why is she the one tasked with reuniting the Earth Kingdom? Why not Suyin?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
She was featured in a newspaper someone (Lin?) was reading in the third season. Someone translated the Chinese and it said she was Head of the "Peace Squad" or something. I think we're meant to assume that she was Captain of the Guard in the Metal Clan. After Ba Sing Se fell Zaofu was the best equipped settlement to take command from what we've seen in Korra. My guess is that Kuvira had different ideas about the role of Zaofu in the Earth Kingdom than Suyin (we saw them clash before in Book 3) and the break resulted from that. That's my guess at least.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I wonder if we're going to learn more about how the heck Kuvira got so much power anyway. When we saw her in season 3, she was a security guard and practicing for that dance performance. Why is she the one tasked with reuniting the Earth Kingdom? Why not Suyin?

She wasn't just a guard. She was captain of the guard. Pretty important job, influential position, etc. I would imagine she might've taken some followers with her when she set out from Zaofu. Troops who had served under her and agreed with her plans and the like.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rosalind posted:

Step 1: be competent

Step 2: get promoted

Step 3: Bang the boss's child

Step 4: Get invited to the fancy parties

Step 5: Get to know people who go to fancy parties

Step 6: Be more competent than boss

Step 7: Win over your fancy party friends

Step 8: Backstab

Step 9: assure the share holders

10. Profit off your competence

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Rosalind posted:

I'd imagine somewhere in that explanation lies the source of conflict in that family. Besides, who's to say anyone chose Kuvira to unite the Earth Kingdom? I mean, we seem to get a feeling she's not just going to hand over the united kingdom to the poncey, worthless Earth Prince.

Maybe she and others from Zhaofu broke away to go off on a self-imposed mission without Su's blessing, forming the basis of her army and gaining strength as they added territories to the coalition. In the end, this is likely a ploy where she plays the good Earth Kingdom soldier taking on this duty no one else would, when she's really uniting the states for her own benefit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PiedPiper posted:

Palpatin Prince Wu's behind it all!

What if instead it's Zhu Li doing the thing?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PiedPiper posted:

Palpatin Prince Wu's behind it all!
He's reveal his army of loyalists from the pronvince Tang, a Wu Tang clan if you will

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

achillesforever6 posted:

He's reveal his army of loyalists from the pronvince Tang, a Wu Tang clan if you will

That sounds like nothing to gently caress with.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I do not understand how the most cartoonish and silly person in this series is loved by everyone. You can't stand Bolin whistling for five seconds but a Varrick, whose whole character who is jokes with that level of painful awkwardness is golden.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I didn't think I'd like this show again after season 2 but I just binged through season 3 and I'm pretty amazed. The choreography was especially great and super varied. Like they put extra thought into every fight wondering how they can make each and all of them stand out in some way. Still, it's obvious that the show isn't getting the room it needs to really breathe and come into its own right. I wish we got at least one episode completely out of the viewpoint of the baddies in season 3 so they could flesh out their relationship a bit more. I really thought Zahir could've been a really sympathetic villain, but eventually just trying to kill the Avatar kinda ruined that.

What a weird show. I just hope the people behind this go on to make something they can really put all their energy and efforts in freely.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I like both Bolin and Varrick. Varrick may be a goofball but he's also excellent at getting what he wants and uses that idiocy to his advantage. He ran rings around the entire cast and the only reason he was put into prison was because Bolin unexpectedly decided to mope outside at the premiere. John Michael Higgins also completely sells it which helps a lot.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Yeah, I will admit that even though he was bad, he was by far the best overall character in season 2. Maybe the writers will use steampunk iron man to better effect this season.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TheModernAmerican posted:

I do not understand how the most cartoonish and silly person in this series is loved by everyone. You can't stand Bolin whistling for five seconds but a Varrick, whose whole character who is jokes with that level of painful awkwardness is golden.

He's a loveable rear end in a top hat.

I love Varrick for two reasons:

1. He contrasts well with the dumb gently caress naivity/ poor dialogue of the main cast. I really enjoyed how he tried to buy off Mako but couldn't because of how wooden the kid was being. For a little while I even thought that the show was trying to get across the idea that duping people makes sense if you're good at it. (Lin's apology applause was dumb)

2. I was right. I knew he was a villain but people on the board I was using at the time were too busy making lovely iron man fan art to take my prediction seriously. Once he revealed his villainy I proceeded to rub people's noises in it.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, I will admit that even though he was bad, he was by far the best overall character in season 2. Maybe the writers will use steampunk iron man to better effect this season.

Apparently we're going to find out about his childhood, which will either be priceless or questionable; I don't particularly care as I like the idea of him just appearing fully formed in the Southern Water Tribe.

Plus, he convinced at least two of the main characters (does Mako count? He did help Asami) to engage in war profiteering. That's pretty amazing in more ways than one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Have any of you cartoonerds heard any more on the game being released in another few weeks? Wil it actually have a story somewhere to it or is it just supposed to be a modern karateka clone?

I'm hoping there's some sort of interesting plotting and character conversations and stuff. :ohdear: It certainly looks pretty darn neat.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 7, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Drifter posted:

Have any of you cartoon nerds heard any more on the game being released in another few weeks? Wil it actually have a story somewhere to it or is it just supposed to be a modern karateka clone?

I'm hoping there's some sort of interesting plotting and character conversations and stuff. :ohdear: It certainly looks pretty darn neat.

Buy Ascension of the Metatron instead.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Not all of us like Varrick. :colbert:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wildeyes posted:

Not all of us like Varrick. :colbert:

You can either like Varrick or you can be on the wrong side of history. Take your pick. :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Vanderdeath posted:

You can either like Varrick or you can be on the wrong side of history. Take your pick. :colbert:

I made my choice!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sato posted:

Apparently we're going to find out about his childhood, which will either be priceless or questionable;
Firebenders; murdered parents, etc.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Vanderdeath posted:

This is hard.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jackard posted:

I'm hoping it's a throwaway gag where he grew up in a completely normal family.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sato posted:

I'm hoping it's a throwaway gag where he grew up in a completely normal family.

This would be pretty good actually.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Varrick has never once deflated tension in a dramatic moment. And unlike Bolin, the joke is never entirely at his expense. Even when he's made to look like an rear end (his airbender detector comes to mind), his completely shameless attitude works because at the core of it is the fact that he's motherfucking Varrick and he will always win, even when he goes to prison, because he loving built a luxury prison cell specifically for him how is that not the most goddamn amazing thing?

Also he got Mako thrown in prison and has never apologized for it and in fact talks to him cheerily about how great his plan to frame him worked.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 7, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^^

Though you'd think the fact he had a luxury prison cell for his exclusive use would have been a tip-off for the police or whoever accepted the money that, you know, he was engaging in illegal activities.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think if Varrick had a worse VA he'd be a lot less likable. Since it's sold so well, and his character actually does stuff relevant to the plot, he comes off much more like some Tony Stark-Howard Hughes hybrid tuned to a YA audience than a dumb gimmick character there only for comic relief.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Jackard posted:

His parents murdered a firebender.

Sato posted:

^^^^^^^

Though you'd think the fact he had a luxury prison cell for his exclusive use would have been a tip-off for the police or whoever accepted the money that, you know, he was engaging in illegal activities.

When someone has lots of money they'd probably just chalk that kind of thing up to being eccentric rather than suspicious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I like Varrick because I'm a huge fan of Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

I like Varrick because I'm a huge fan of Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. :colbert:
This helped me realize how similar Varrick is to Saul Goodman, both in personality and how they're treated as comic relief despite their near-total lack of a moral compass.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

achillesforever6 posted:

Stephen Colbert isn't involved with Korra.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Misandrist Wytch posted:

You should watch the series, then End of Eva, and then the Rebuilds after that. It is much, much better than Korra, god people in this thread are stupid.

This is a correct opinion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
After the show is over, Bryan and Mike should get Hideaki Anno to direct the Rebuild of Korra movies.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

NeilPerry posted:

I wish we got at least one episode completely out of the viewpoint of the baddies in season 3 so they could flesh out their relationship a bit more.
I think it would've been neat to dedicate one episode to 'What if..?' scenario; namely, 'What if Red Lotus managed to steal Korra all those years ago?'. They could have shown her training under different members of Red Lotus, shown her learning spiritual stuff under Zaheer, her having a slightly different, darker personality, etc. It didn't even need to have a connection to the main story, just have Korra pass out in the spirit world and have a dream or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

I think if Varrick had a worse VA he'd be a lot less likable. Since it's sold so well, and his character actually does stuff relevant to the plot, he comes off much more like some Tony Stark-Howard Hughes hybrid tuned to a YA audience than a dumb gimmick character there only for comic relief.

I'm just waiting for the Iron Man armor at this point

They foreshadowed that for a reason last season

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Drifter posted:

Have any of you cartoonerds heard any more on the game being released in another few weeks? Wil it actually have a story somewhere to it or is it just supposed to be a modern karateka clone?

Apparently there's some sort of story as Bryke said it was set in the two weeks between Book 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Apparently there's some sort of story as Bryke said it was set in the two weeks between Book 2 and 3.

It's also supposed to have its own game-only villain created by Bryke.

Oh, here's a spoiler on the villain/plot:

The villain will be a special type of chi-blocker who, at the start of the game, strips Korra of her bending abilities, which she has to regain in the course of the game.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread