Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jerome Louis posted:

How long would it reasonably take to tow a car in one of those Penske trucks across the US? Start day is October 20th, if I give my two week notice tomorrow my last day at work will be the 15th. There is definitely stuff I want to keep, namely my brewing and cooking stuff, probably my mattress, books, clothes, and computer. If I didn't do the truck thing I think that stuff could all fit in a one of those U-Haul U-Box things and would give me a nice window to find a permanent place to stay before my junk arrives.

I strongly suggest thinking about how many of your books you actually have reason to keep. Getting rid of my books before I moved to Seattle saved me a ton of space and a ton of lifting.

Given the existence of Kindles, it's very easy to replace any you want to hang onto but don't want to haul around, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Jerome Louis posted:

How long would it reasonably take to tow a car in one of those Penske trucks across the US? Start day is October 20th, if I give my two week notice tomorrow my last day at work will be the 15th. There is definitely stuff I want to keep, namely my brewing and cooking stuff, probably my mattress, books, clothes, and computer. If I didn't do the truck thing I think that stuff could all fit in a one of those U-Haul U-Box things and would give me a nice window to find a permanent place to stay before my junk arrives.

I wouldn't tow the car since the gas mileage is awful and you're moving to California. You should consider bringing a friend and switching off driving shifts though. You'll get there faster, and it'll probably be cheaper to buy the friend a plane ticket home than to ship your stuff across country.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Jerome Louis posted:

How long would it reasonably take to tow a car in one of those Penske trucks across the US?
Does the car pass a smog test?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's 2900 miles. You could do it in 4 days if you drove hard. I figure about 52 hours of driving if you only stop to pee and fuel. If you had a driving partner, you could do it in 2.5 or 3 days.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

photomikey posted:

What are you doing to regularly blow 20A fuses? That's a lot of juice.

Having the microwave, fridge and coffee machine running at the same time does it.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Seems like a good time to ask: Has anyone used U-Pack before? They have amazing reviews all over the Internet, are an A+ BBB company (with all complaints resolved), endorsed by MovingScam.com, etc. I did their online quote thing the other day, and they’re saying it’ll be $2k, but that includes all of the fuel, taxes, fees, etc. They drop off a container, we pack our stuff, they drive it down for us, drop it off, we unpack and they pick it up. This seems a lot cheaper and easier on us than renting a moving truck (U-Haul and Ryrder quotes were for ~$1800 just for the truck rental).

We’re doing a Michigan to Florida move and don’t have a lot of stuff (they charge by the linear foot, which the longest thing I have is my couch). We will also be taking our cars with us, so anything that is fragile or really important would ride along with us, so no worry of important/breakable things being damaged. This seems like the best situation for us, but I wanted to hear some others’ experience.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Get a few quotes from any legit movers around before going with U-Pack, I got a bunch of quotes and for a full move from CT to CA it'll actually be a bit cheaper for me to use (legit, highly rated) movers than U-Pack.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We used U-Pack to move from Atlanta to Boston and it was fine. They dropped off the cube several days in advance, we loaded it all up, and they hauled it off. The one hiccup was that we wanted it delivered to Boston on Saturday, and they initially didn't tell us that weekend deliveries had an additional/higher fee than weekday. It wasn't unreasonable, just that we didn't know about it. I think it ended up getting waived when we complained though, I'm not positive.

Anyway, everything came through the move fine (we've actually had more damage with in-town moves using regular movers than with the Upack) and it was all as-advertised and pretty painless. Keep in mind that you will need to have somewhere to put down that cube, though, you can't drop it on the curb in all towns/cities.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Skutter posted:

(they charge by the linear foot, which the longest thing I have is my couch).
They will set your couch on end. They are actually pretty efficient at packing your poo poo into the least amount of linear feet possible.

Your stuff will take the greyhound bus route. It will go from your house to the nearest big city, then get unpacked and set in storage. Then re-packed into another truck and trucked to the nearest big city near the new place. Then unpacked and stored and re-packed and delivered. There may be un-packing and re-packing in the middle of the journey - they may do so at a hub, or anywhere in between.

Each time they unpack and repack is one more opportunity for something to get broken, stolen, lost, or basically banged around. If I didn't have much stuff (doesn't sound like you do), I'd Upack.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Is it cool to ask for HOA/neighbor advice in here or is thst for somewhere else?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Depends on the issue. You can try here.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
For my move to CA I'm going to sell my car (I'll be lucky to get ~$2.5k) before I fly out, when I land I'll have no car and no place to live -- and not too much money to spend until the relocation bonus kicks in 11 days later. I'll land in CA late the 18th and start work the 20th. I think my best course of action will be to rent a car and stay in a cheap hotel near work, buy a 2nd gen Prius as soon as I can and keep an eye out for good apartments until I get relocation on the 31st, sign something starting for November 1st. Conversely I could try and find a place to live ASAP and get a car a bit later. Just trying to consider the options and see what might be the best way to go

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

California is not known for its public transportation.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Check hotwire for deals on rental cars where you can't see the name of the agency. I can usually score a rental car for < $20/day.

Depending on how close to work you can get, you may not need a rental car and you can just walk back and forth. It's kind of ghetto, but you can save a ton of money.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

photomikey posted:

Check hotwire for deals on rental cars where you can't see the name of the agency. I can usually score a rental car for < $20/day.

Depending on how close to work you can get, you may not need a rental car and you can just walk back and forth. It's kind of ghetto, but you can save a ton of money.

Work is at a winery and pretty remote :( unfortunately it's so remote the apartments I'm looking at are about a 35 minute commute each way and the closest hotel is about 15 min away by car

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I am going to be in need of a desk that is big enough for side-by-side dual monitors, but still fits into my small bedroom. I'm looking at the FREDDE desk from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50219044/ but wondering if anyone knows of something similar in that price range?

I don't need anything really pricey, just something that's going to last 2-3 years and not look like total crap.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

RabbitMage posted:

I am going to be in need of a desk that is big enough for side-by-side dual monitors, but still fits into my small bedroom. I'm looking at the FREDDE desk from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50219044/ but wondering if anyone knows of something similar in that price range?

I don't need anything really pricey, just something that's going to last 2-3 years and not look like total crap.

I have more or less this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79022792/#/S19022790 (mine's a Galant, which is the old version that's pretty much the same), and there's plenty of room on it. If I cleaned off my school stuff and moved my tower to the floor, it could probably even fit 2 27"+ monitors. I have a pretty small bedroom and the desk takes up most of a wall, but it's not too intrusive. Galants have been a go-to computer desk for a while.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Moatman posted:

I have more or less this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79022792/#/S19022790 (mine's a Galant, which is the old version that's pretty much the same), and there's plenty of room on it. If I cleaned off my school stuff and moved my tower to the floor, it could probably even fit 2 27"+ monitors. I have a pretty small bedroom and the desk takes up most of a wall, but it's not too intrusive. Galants have been a go-to computer desk for a while.

That's going to be too long, unfortunately. I like the idea of having some shelving or something, too. Vertical storage space is handy.

Edit: Just realized I think I was reading the vertical measurement on the other desk as the horizontal and vice versa, in which case it's also way too big. Crap.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

RabbitMage posted:

That's going to be too long, unfortunately. I like the idea of having some shelving or something, too. Vertical storage space is handy.

Edit: Just realized I think I was reading the vertical measurement on the other desk as the horizontal and vice versa, in which case it's also way too big. Crap.

There's another bekant that's 47" long. How much space do you have?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you got something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5560

You could get any size desk you could fit, and the monitors could extend past the edge.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
It looks like I can go up to 64". I still prefer something with a hutch/shelves/drawers for added storage. And if it's Ikea, it needs to be available online, since the nearest Ikea is over 200 miles away.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Does anyone have experience with the products at https://www.flor.com? I'm looking for a runner rug, and this looks like it could make for some interesting designs, but I'm not really sold on the quality of their stuff.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Ashcans posted:

We used U-Pack to move from Atlanta to Boston and it was fine. They dropped off the cube several days in advance, we loaded it all up, and they hauled it off. The one hiccup was that we wanted it delivered to Boston on Saturday, and they initially didn't tell us that weekend deliveries had an additional/higher fee than weekday. It wasn't unreasonable, just that we didn't know about it. I think it ended up getting waived when we complained though, I'm not positive.

Anyway, everything came through the move fine (we've actually had more damage with in-town moves using regular movers than with the Upack) and it was all as-advertised and pretty painless. Keep in mind that you will need to have somewhere to put down that cube, though, you can't drop it on the curb in all towns/cities.

My boyfriend and I just moved cross country a few months apart. He used U-Pack and had a pretty great experience. There was one hiccup, that they'd paid for guaranteed delivery on a certain date and then they claimed they had a sick driver issue and it wouldn't be possible, but they complained and it did end up being delivered that day. Conversely, I used U-haul's U-Box and it was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. Avoid U-Box :(

This is basically the first big move away from our hometown for both of us and our first furniture buying experience, and we keep getting run off by appalling reviews on everything. We went couch-shopping yesterday and found a couple affordable La-Z-Boy couches we liked, as well as some decent brand couches at other stores, and every single one has disastrous reviews and mediocre ratings (2/5, 3/5 etc.). I don't know very much, if anything, about assessing furniture quality, and I'm wondering if it's just par for the course for furniture items to attract nothing but bad reviews since there's not really a compelling reason to go out of your way to leave a positive review about a couch or whatever.

I'm also wondering if there are any particular brands or stores that tend to carry good quality dressers? I keep thinking I find one I like, nice hard wood, only to find out the dresser bottoms are thin cardboard :monocle: I'd probably scour Craigslist for one but we both have small cars :(

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

redcheval posted:

I'd probably scour Craigslist for one but we both have small cars :(
If the deal was good enough, you could rent a pick up from u-haul? They were always like $20 for local moves, but maybe that's changed. Maybe look into small businesses in your area for good craftsmanship, they tend to be more accommodating about delivery in my experience.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm thinking about getting my own fridge/freezer combo, so I can reliably store/find my own food. Are there any considerations I should be making as far as how much power it will take or what kind of outlet I can plug it into?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I've got a washer that I think might not be operating properly. It will do the whole agitate/spin thing for about 10 minutes, then it stops and does nothing for a few minutes (though I just paid more attention and I hear a few very quiet clicks or whirs or something). Then it agitates/spins for a while, then stops and drains, and then fills up again and agitates/spins, and drains. Obviously I'm curious about the part where it's not doing anything. Is it possible it actually is doing something? Do some settings drain/refill more than once and it's just not working the first time?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

the littlest prince posted:

I've got a washer that I think might not be operating properly. It will do the whole agitate/spin thing for about 10 minutes, then it stops and does nothing for a few minutes (though I just paid more attention and I hear a few very quiet clicks or whirs or something). Then it agitates/spins for a while, then stops and drains, and then fills up again and agitates/spins, and drains. Obviously I'm curious about the part where it's not doing anything. Is it possible it actually is doing something? Do some settings drain/refill more than once and it's just not working the first time?

Depends on the unit of course, but my parents had a washer that would soak for a few minutes while I was growing up. The timer and the knob would make clicking noises as time went by.

Can you try looking up the manual online?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Renegret posted:

Depends on the unit of course, but my parents had a washer that would soak for a few minutes while I was growing up. The timer and the knob would make clicking noises as time went by.

Can you try looking up the manual online?

Good idea! I did this and the manual does seem to imply that it's part of normal operation.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ladyweapon posted:

If the deal was good enough, you could rent a pick up from u-haul? They were always like $20 for local moves, but maybe that's changed. Maybe look into small businesses in your area for good craftsmanship, they tend to be more accommodating about delivery in my experience.
Hardware stores may have pickups you can rent too. I know Home Depot tends to have a couple in the parking lot whenever I pass by.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Awesome, thanks! I'm a little reticent to venture into U-haul again just because I had such an all-encompassing terrible customer service experience during the move, but a truck's not a bad idea. Fortunately after a day of scouring various furniture stores, we found almost everything we were looking for affordably at one local store, with delivery. Sweet deal! But I'd like to hit up estate sales or what have you too so renting a truck is a good tip.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

the littlest prince posted:

My washer did this. Turns out washers have clutches and mine broke and the cost to fix it was more than just buying a new washer.

Skutter posted:

Seems like a good time to ask: Has anyone used U-Pack before? They have amazing reviews all over the Internet, are an A+ BBB company (with all complaints resolved), endorsed by MovingScam.com, etc. I did their online quote thing the other day, and they’re saying it’ll be $2k, but that includes all of the fuel, taxes, fees, etc. They drop off a container, we pack our stuff, they drive it down for us, drop it off, we unpack and they pick it up. This seems a lot cheaper and easier on us than renting a moving truck (U-Haul and Ryrder quotes were for ~$1800 just for the truck rental).

We’re doing a Michigan to Florida move and don’t have a lot of stuff (they charge by the linear foot, which the longest thing I have is my couch). We will also be taking our cars with us, so anything that is fragile or really important would ride along with us, so no worry of important/breakable things being damaged. This seems like the best situation for us, but I wanted to hear some others’ experience.

I used U-Pack for both my long-haul moves (VA to TX and TX to NE) and didn't have a problem with them. The fact they only charge per trailer foot is awesome if you don't have much stuff but don't want to move it yourself. Their customer service is excellent and they're really flexible if you have to shift around your move dates. The only issue we had was the movers on the unpacking end last move were not very good. Frequent long smoke breaks (when they're being paid hourly that's Not Okay) and they didn't even offer to assemble any of our stuff, just dumped it in the rooms it went in then peaced out. I've never moved (and I've moved a lot) where the movers don't re-assemble your furniture until this time.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 15, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have never looked for sheets before in my life. What's the general thread count that won't break the bank but feels pretty awesome? What kind of material? I sleep hot so I imagine something that won't burn me up would be ideal

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I have never looked for sheets before in my life. What's the general thread count that won't break the bank but feels pretty awesome? What kind of material? I sleep hot so I imagine something that won't burn me up would be ideal

Thread counts are notorious for being false; you should probably just feel the fabric or look at reviews.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Thread counts are notorious for being false; you should probably just feel the fabric or look at reviews.

Agreed. I never look at count. I always just walk around feeling the samples (like at Target), or opening the package (if possible) to feel. I know that I personally love the feel of microfiber, bamboo, & organic cotton sheets.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
"Sateen" sheets are the ones that feel nice. Costco has a nice sheet set, it's $50, but it'll last you years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

"Sateen" sheets are the ones that feel nice. Costco has a nice sheet set, it's $50, but it'll last you years.

To be fair, which ones feel "nice" are a matter of personal opinion. I find sateen sheets to be too slippery.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Sateen sheets can be pretty warm though. If s/he's a hot sleeper Amazon sells some percale sheets for pretty cheap. Percale tends to not be as warm as sateen. The only issue is they wrinkle easy, particularly if any non-zero amount of time elapses between the dryer ending its cycle and you taking them out and putting them on the bed.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I moved into a new duplex recently and tonight I found at least 2 dozen black widows all around the perimeter of the duplex. They're coming out of the vents from the crawl space under the house :/ I've emailed the landlord about it, but aside from getting a professional fumigator out here, what can I do to kill these things? My fiancé is freaking out because we're living on top of a black widow nest

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Can you set off a bug bomb to at least make a dent in the number of spiders for now?

Your landlord should do something about it since having a venemous spider infestation definitely makes the place dangerous to live in. You'll probably still have to take care of it yourself anyway if your duplex landlord is anything like mine-- I had rats in my garage and my landlord didn't do anything because I'm from "the city" and I was living in a rural suburb and she assumed I'd just seen a mouse and freaked out. Take pictures so your landlord doesn't just brush you off as seeing one spider once and being overly paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Can you set off a bug bomb to at least make a dent in the number of spiders for now?

Your landlord should do something about it since having a venemous spider infestation definitely makes the place dangerous to live in. You'll probably still have to take care of it yourself anyway if your duplex landlord is anything like mine-- I had rats in my garage and my landlord didn't do anything because I'm from "the city" and I was living in a rural suburb and she assumed I'd just seen a mouse and freaked out. Take pictures so your landlord doesn't just brush you off as seeing one spider once and being overly paranoid.

Yeah, my landlord at first told me he has "never seen a spider, not even a web" around the house in the 3 months he was working on the place. That's bullshit because I killed one the day I moved in, and the neighbors told me they've been dealing with them for a while. I just didn't realize how infested the place was until I started walking around the perimeter tonight with a newspaper in hand.

Last night I killed at least a dozen of them outside, then I took a picture of one in the kitchen and sent it to him to show him I'm not making it up. I'm going to take more pictures tonight when they all come out again, just so he understands the extent of the issue. These things are nocturnal so of course he didn't see any when he was working in the day.

The real issue is that there are a ton of smaller bugs around this place, so the spiders are flourishing because there is so much food. I'm worried that killing all of the spiders will make the other bugs so much worse. I want spiders around the house, I just don't want ones that can kill me when I go to take out the recycling past sunset.

The neighbors all have black widow problems too so I'm sure they'll come back unless we get some pro-grade pesticides out here.