Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Why are people hating on my friend, the Deku Spear?

It's bad.

Dammit I just tried the infamous Zelda level 2 Baton challenge, and was doing really well when right near the end I got caught in a massive Girahim combo and tanked my damage score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

After doing the second Twilight stage (the one with Zant) I have gained a new respect for Lana's Book of Sorcery. The extended BBY and BBBY combos are sick as gently caress against hard single targets and bosses respectively. They're the ones that either make a wall and then charge it with lightning or send a row of walls forward. The latter chews through boss weakness bars insanely fast and clears keeps well, the former can more or less juggle any small targets you want unless you're mashing them into a wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It's bad.

Dammit I just tried the infamous Zelda level 2 Baton challenge, and was doing really well when right near the end I got caught in a massive Girahim combo and tanked my damage score.

The base Deku Spear is utter trash but tier 2 and 3 are okay crowd-cleaners. They're still inferior compared to Lana's book, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tsurupettan posted:

After doing the second Twilight stage (the one with Zant) I have gained a new respect for Lana's Book of Sorcery. The extended BBY and BBBY combos are sick as gently caress against hard single targets and bosses respectively. They're the ones that either make a wall and then charge it with lightning or send a row of walls forward. The latter chews through boss weakness bars insanely fast and clears keeps well, the former can more or less juggle any small targets you want unless you're mashing them into a wall.

The great thing about BBY is that it stops at the perfect distance to Y-charge up to it and hit Y again to blow the thing up for massive AoE damage. Be sure to blow up BBBBY cubes as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The great thing about BBY is that it stops at the perfect distance to Y-charge up to it and hit Y again to blow the thing up for massive AoE damage. Be sure to blow up BBBBY cubes as well.

You can blow up her single shocking tower, too.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

It is sadly complete butt against giant boss weakness bars, though. But maybe I'm just spoiled by explosion punch + special attack wiping out a bar in one combo.

It would be cool if somewhere in the OP there was a list of the combos known to be good against giant boss weakness bars, since that people may not know and is kind of annoying to experiment with. The only ones I know are Ganondorf's BBBBY, Darunia's BBBBBY, and Midna's powered up BBYY. Past that I haven't really figured any others out beyond just try to use something later in a combo.

Also, mods please change the thread title to Hyrule Warriors - Here lies Cia. She never scored.
This would be super helpful for me!

Darunia's is the only one I figured out on my own so far. What is Zelda's (for the baton if the weapon matters)?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Deku Spear is easy mode. C5 with the leaf and a quick dodge cancel is quicker than most any other character at clearing hordes and it does a ton of damage to weak points and unsettled bosses. Not too mention the mobility the set has. I haven't touched the book since I got it.

Unlocked both the L2 baton and Link's final weapon tonight. Thanks for the tips guys. Won't get to try it out till tomorrow though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jesus I've got Zelda's level 2 baton level down to a science, I know exactly where each enemy is going to be and when, and I'm able to beat it in under 11 minutes every time, easily getting 1200 kills.

But the damage threshold is just so low it seems. I keep inching my way less and less each time and yet it's still a B. Grr

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Just started this game over the weekend, but I'm loving it. Got a Network Link from god knows who, and it was awesome, so I figured I'd toss my nnid in here and add some folks.

nnid: KingFrost

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I cannot get the hang on Minda. She's just all over the bloody place.

On the plus side, I A'd a bunch of maps tonight, got three level 2 weapons, and unlocked Agatha. Now I just have to decide if I want to go for the summoning gate or try to unlock more of the map.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I cannot get the hang on Minda. She's just all over the bloody place.

On the plus side, I A'd a bunch of maps tonight, got three level 2 weapons, and unlocked Agatha. Now I just have to decide if I want to go for the summoning gate or try to unlock more of the map.

Here's how to play Midna: BBBBY. Pause, change direction. BBBBY. Repeat forever, killing everyone in your path. She is unstoppable.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Regy Rusty posted:

Jesus I've got Zelda's level 2 baton level down to a science, I know exactly where each enemy is going to be and when, and I'm able to beat it in under 11 minutes every time, easily getting 1200 kills.

But the damage threshold is just so low it seems. I keep inching my way less and less each time and yet it's still a B. Grr

Yeah this was the hardest mission so far for me by a good margin. Volga and Wizro were the problems for me, since Volga attacks so fast and several of Wizro's attacks can ruin your A rank in one clean hit. I had several attempts where he would do a bullet spray that cost me 4+ hearts as soon as the cutscene finished. :regd09:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Wizzro is really what messes me up. Even if I only take a few hearts of damage from him, it then leaves me with no wiggle room for chip damage on the rest of the map.

I think tomorrow I'll experiment with leaving him alive and seeing how much that fucks me over.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

Yeah this was the hardest mission so far for me by a good margin. Volga and Wizro were the problems for me, since Volga attacks so fast and several of Wizro's attacks can ruin your A rank in one clean hit. I had several attempts where he would do a bullet spray that cost me 4+ hearts as soon as the cutscene finished. :regd09:

Bear in mind that Wizzro is made of sugar glass and gets stunned for a really long time when hit by the bow while his weakness bar is up. Stay at range until he does a volley, then shoot the bow, run in, and waste him. Volga can still wreck you easily, but as others have said the trick to him is just lay into him and dodge when he does his counterattack to bust his weakness gauge. You still have to be fast and pay attention, though.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah Wizzro is really what messes me up. Even if I only take a few hearts of damage from him, it then leaves me with no wiggle room for chip damage on the rest of the map.

I think tomorrow I'll experiment with leaving him alive and seeing how much that fucks me over.

Put that idea to rest immediately. You cannot leave Volga or Wizzro alive if you want to have any chance of success. Either can waste your base in the time it would take you to kill a captain monster.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Put that idea to rest immediately. You cannot leave Volga or Wizzro alive if you want to have any chance of success. Either can waste your base in the time it would take you to kill a captain monster.

That's what I figured, I didn't actually think it would work.

Your tip about the bow sounds like a good idea though, I'll try that out.

Volga I've gotten pretty good at not getting hit by fortunately, and since I usually fight him in the base itself surrounded by hundreds of enemies, I constantly have specials to throw down and kill him and the morale boosted gibdos and/or moblins, depending on who decided to get there faster.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Have you given Zelda the magic armor badge, so she takes less damage on lightning stages, like the level 2 baton one? I only beat it because I had a level 50 link with the lvl 3 gauntlets help me out in co-op.

Did I mention co-op makes the game a lot easier?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
For the keeps that need a fairy: use your magic gauge. It makes you immune to the health drain effect.

As for combos to damage weak points - it really depends on the enemy for me. If they are humanoid, just use whatever launcher your character has and you'll probably break them in one go.

For the big bosses it seems to depend on the character and the enemy. Adding that info to the OP would be interesting.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

mabels big day posted:

Have you given Zelda the magic armor badge, so she takes less damage on lightning stages, like the level 2 baton one? I only beat it because I had a level 50 link with the lvl 3 gauntlets help me out in co-op.

Did I mention co-op makes the game a lot easier?

Word. I still haven't A ranked that baton mission but I got drat close with my fiancee helping me out. Wizzro and occasionally Ghirahim keep tripping us up though. And sometimes Volga.

But just having an extra human on the field who can handle the red faction while you take the yellows is amazing help.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I have yet to play Sheik. She's still down there at level 7. :baby:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Hey whats up with the Adventure Mode mission in that lake fortress the holds a water bomb? I have an A rank in th adjacent mission and used the raft but it didn't unlock.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Using the raft allows you to access the island the NEXT time you get an A-Rank, same as the reward for any other map.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
yea i just did it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

Word. I still haven't A ranked that baton mission but I got drat close with my fiancee helping me out. Wizzro and occasionally Ghirahim keep tripping us up though. And sometimes Volga.

But just having an extra human on the field who can handle the red faction while you take the yellows is amazing help.

For you and others struggling with that mission, take heart in knowing that it is harder than many, maybe even most, of the level 3 weapon missions. Also if you clear out the bottom yellow captain and then take care of Wizzro and Volga, you can honestly take care of a lot of the later challenge while staying fairly near that middle area. The yellow commander will come to you, if I remember right, and then it's just a matter of wrapping up your kill count and taking out Ghirahim, who is probably the easiest part of that mission.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

chumbler posted:

Actually, you can totally ignore Volga and that's exactly what I did when I beat that mission. I just went straight for Wizzro, took the keep on the way, and then took out Ghirahim at the top of the pyramid. The thing is, while Volga could take the allied base while you're gone, he's instead just going to run into the Other army right outside it and waste his time fighting them. By the time I was done with Ghirahim and heading back to the fairy fountain to mop up the trash, I got a message saying that Volga had been killed by a Gibdo, and that's the most I ever saw of him.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Yeah, just go straight for Wizzro, then go for Ghirahim, then take some keeps and clear your 1200 KOs and go for the other lizalfos commander. You don't actually need to take out Volga if you don't want to because he's going to be occupied fighting the other army and commanders. I didn't have too much trouble taking him out while he was fighting the other captains, though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Yeah, just go straight for Wizzro, then go for Ghirahim, then take some keeps and clear your 1200 KOs and go for the other lizalfos commander. You don't actually need to take out Volga if you don't want to because he's going to be occupied fighting the other army and commanders. I didn't have too much trouble taking him out while he was fighting the other captains, though.

This is lie. I left Volga alone and he ended up taking my keep while I was taking on Ghirahim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got it in about 5 attempts counting suicides. The main factors:

1 -- before engaging Wizzro, take out the messenger that spawns near the keep by Volga. May as well take the keep too if you're quick. This will keep V from pushing into the base before yellow shows up.
2 -- use the bow on Wizzro's spin, that way you can keep your distance for avoiding attacks. It stuns him long enough for you to charge in and finish off his focus bar. You need to start shooting before the focus thing shows up, so make sure you're clear of fireballs as they end.
3 -- Take out the other messenger on the way to Girahim. It may not make a difference, but he's on the way and easy.
4 -- Don't get lazy on Girahim. He's pretty easy but if he gets a combo off on you kiss A-rank goodbye. There's no huge rush.
5 -- if you get back to base and Volga's still standing then run away, clear a keep, and let the firey airalfos take care of things. It's much to easy to take excess damage if you jump in and even if the airalfos is alone against a sea of read he seems to take Volga from full to dead as soon as you leave.
6 -- clean up yellow at the base, make sure you have 1200 KOs, and kill the last keep boss. Easy-peasy unless you do something boneheaded.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fix posted:

I have yet to play Sheik. She's still down there at level 7. :baby:

Duuuude. You are doing yourself an extreme disservice. Sheik is a monster.

I also don't get the hate on the Deku Spear. I think it's fine. However I mostly just spam the standard attack all day long. (Summons icicles, which EXPLODE for some pretty sweet AOE, then I dodge to cancel her dumb little flourish she does at the end of it. Rinse, repeat!)

Last thing, would someone remind me how to do Sheik's Prelude of Light? It's the only one I can't seem to get consistently.

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Last thing, would someone remind me how to do Sheik's Prelude of Light? It's the only one I can't seem to get consistently.

Press X just as she jumps up into the air during her regular Y combo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I finished Zelda's Baton mission on my second try (first time failed as I didn't know volga and wizzro were on the map and went after the yellow army first)

I guess I got really lucky seeing as those two ruin me. I don't know what it is about them but it's why I can't get Darunia's heart container in one of the quizzes. The two spawn in and just argh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Huh I thought I had a winning strategy with Aerolfos->Messenger->Wizzro->Volga->Aerolfos->Messenger->Girahim. But if it really is possible to avoid Volga I guess I should give it a try.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Arggh, I've been so friggin' close to an A rank on that Zelda Baton 2 mission! I tried it like ten times last night. I was able to get A ranks in enemies killed and damage taken, but it took me 15:19 to finish, so I got a B rank! 20 seconds faster and I would have had it, bah.

And then of course when I have managed to finish it in 12 minutes I didn't have enough enemies killed. Maybe I should just wait until my Zelda is higher level, she's like lv 40 right now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's my level so it should be easy to get the kills and time requirements. What weapon and star level are you using?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Obvious thing I wish they had done: Make ganondorfs specials stronger the longer you hold the button down. It feels kinda goofy to have the bar fully charged yet being able to have the dorf just stand there with a energy death ball over his head.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've been using a 5-star rank 2 rapier for Zelda. It just feel like if I'm fast enough to get the time requirement, I get hit by Wizzro or something and lose on the damage requirement. I've gotten A ranks in all three categories individually at this point, but haven't done them all at A yet. I'll keep trying! I can do it!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Obvious thing I wish they had done: Make ganondorfs specials stronger the longer you hold the button down. It feels kinda goofy to have the bar fully charged yet being able to have the dorf just stand there with a energy death ball over his head.

It's for dramatic effect. What's the point if a spirit bomb if you don't spend time charging it up?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I finally beat Ganon (twice so I could get the damned heart piece!). I had to use the in game save scumming, though. Some of it is that when Ganondorf comes out, he comes with a loving horde of stallords and dinolfos. I'm way better at switching weapons, but even then, Ganon is in such a tiny space and it's hard to draw him out into the open, so he frequently turns so that his only target is basically stuck inside of a wall. I'm shocked that he was easier to beat as Zelda than as Impa but I think it might just be my current position with badges or that I accidentally let Darunia pull out when I was playing as Impa.

What do I have to look forward to in hard mode? Do your allies have their health decrease faster, or does it just take longer to capture keeps? More health from enemies, enemies do more damage? All of the above? I might not get home until about 10:00 tonight, but I'm hoping I can at least get the first new skulltula and maybe finish the picture tomorrow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wild Knight posted:

It's a shame that other human also has to be really good though - it's very hard to control with the nunchuck (you can't move the camera as well) and if I have someone with me they're always getting hit because of that.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Add me to the list of network Links, NNID is Greader

This is my first Warriors game and I gotta say, this is really fun. It took me a bit to get used to how the game makes everything on the battle field sound dramatic and urgent as hell and realise what is actually important and what can wait but the gameplay is pretty fun. I like how all the characters play differently, been kicking rear end with Shiek and Zelda, spamming musical AOE's and carpet-bombing with light arrows all day.

Also yeah, that rank 2 baton stage is really hard. Haven't A ranked it yet and I will probably need a few levels before I can do it, just so I can take out the big guys quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Well, I finally beat Ganon (twice so I could get the damned heart piece!). I had to use the in game save scumming, though. Some of it is that when Ganondorf comes out, he comes with a loving horde of stallords and dinolfos. I'm way better at switching weapons, but even then, Ganon is in such a tiny space and it's hard to draw him out into the open, so he frequently turns so that his only target is basically stuck inside of a wall. I'm shocked that he was easier to beat as Zelda than as Impa but I think it might just be my current position with badges or that I accidentally let Darunia pull out when I was playing as Impa.

What do I have to look forward to in hard mode? Do your allies have their health decrease faster, or does it just take longer to capture keeps? More health from enemies, enemies do more damage? All of the above? I might not get home until about 10:00 tonight, but I'm hoping I can at least get the first new skulltula and maybe finish the picture tomorrow.

The biggest thing I've noticed in hard mode is that enemies do more and take less damage. It actually starts off incredibly easy because you're going to be quite strong, but it'll catch up quick. The last few hard mode levels before Ganondorf were extremely difficult because the commanders take ages to kill.

And then the three Ganondorf levels went back to being a breeze because he's loving Ganondorf. :v:

• Locked thread