Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

poptart_fairy posted:

Can you guys suggest any decent LPs of Fatal Frame? I don't have a Playstation unfortunately, so I'm unable to play them first hand.

Depends on what your definition of "decent" is, personally it's one where they just stay quiet and play the drat game, in which case,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQlZmegDVbQ

Just noticed the alternate costume, luckily it's not particularly embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RadicalR posted:

I believe that was the first Clock Tower on the PSX.

Even better was when he rigged all the old retro computers in the computer lab to read out "DIE!" in sequence as he slowly approached you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

RadicalR posted:

I believe that was the first Clock Tower on the PSX.

Well, the second one. There was a port of the first one to the PSX but, like the first game in general, it stayed in Japan. It didn't change a whole lot, and it doesn't have a fan translation, or at least a finished one, like the SNES version does.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I seem to think I have the original Clock Tower in my big rear end folder o'roms so I'm not too worried about playing through that one. I've heard that CT3 is pretty absurd and kinda awful in a wonderful way, so I'm looking forward to that.

Finished SH3 today, I died so many times the game took pity on me and gave me beginner mode, which I promptly used because gently caress YOU SILENT HILL 3! Good game though.

I think by the time I wrap up the SH franchise I'll know for sure if I want to jump into a stand alone game for a bit or if I want to tackle another franchise, and there are plenty of stand alones that I have on my list of "poo poo to play".

Really giving consideration to picking up "I have no mouth, but must scream" off of GOG because it's super cheap and I've heard nothing but excellent things about it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

joylessdivision posted:

I seem to think I have the original Clock Tower in my big rear end folder o'roms so I'm not too worried about playing through that one. I've heard that CT3 is pretty absurd and kinda awful in a wonderful way, so I'm looking forward to that.

Finished SH3 today, I died so many times the game took pity on me and gave me beginner mode, which I promptly used because gently caress YOU SILENT HILL 3! Good game though.

I think by the time I wrap up the SH franchise I'll know for sure if I want to jump into a stand alone game for a bit or if I want to tackle another franchise, and there are plenty of stand alones that I have on my list of "poo poo to play".

Really giving consideration to picking up "I have no mouth, but must scream" off of GOG because it's super cheap and I've heard nothing but excellent things about it.
Just read the short story; the video game for "I have no mouth..." is obtuse, adventure game hot garbage.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Niggurath posted:

Just read the short story; the video game for "I have no mouth..." is obtuse, adventure game hot garbage.

I tried playing it a week or two ago, and chose Ellen as my first character. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Not to mention it has stuff like "Use/Push/Hit" or whatever that all do the same thing in some circumstances, and different things in others. Like all three will work for one thing, but you have to choose one or the other for another puzzle. Games like this are one of the reasons I tend to avoid adventure games.

And yeah, the short story is awesome.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey joyless division if you played 1 for 3 you might as well watch the sh movie for homecoming. Don't bother watching the second one unless you want to sit through a 40 minute scene where heather literally explains the entire plot to some guy who was just introduced and dies right after.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

OxMan posted:

Hey joyless division if you played 1 for 3 you might as well watch the sh movie for homecoming. Don't bother watching the second one unless you want to sit through a 40 minute scene where heather literally explains the entire plot to some guy who was just introduced and dies right after.

I enjoy the second one if for no other reason that you can just tell Kit Harington is pissed as hell at Sean Bean for dragging him into this poo poo, and you can tell Bean knows he did wrong.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I actually enjoyed the first Silent Hill movie when it came out because I had no frame of reference for the games. Started reaching it a couple nights ago and just didn't finish it because sleep was more important. Holds up alright I suppose.

Revelations is one of the most abysmally painful things I've sat through. I watched it with my best friend (huge SH nerd), his wife and my girlfriend. GF and I had both seen the original movie and spent the entire time watching Revelations saying "What? That doesn't make sense. What? Huh?" and at some point "Oh you've got to be loving kidding me." All while my friend tried to valiantly defend the movie by saying it was actually much closer to the games and thus better.

Except when Pyramid Head fought the dollar tree Cenobite monster, he shut the gently caress up at that point because I think even he couldn't justify that nonsense.

He also suggested I re-watch it once I finished SH3, but if I do rematch it, it's going to be drunk and I'm going to be laughing at it the whole time.

Also, there was a movie for Homecoming or are you just referring to the first SH movie.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The first Silent Hill movie did a lot of things wrong, but it did a lot of things pretty right, in my opinion. They definitely nailed the look of the games, at least. Obviously they did a bunch of weird stuff with plot and secondary characters, and the bloodbath and stuff near the end was a bit ugh. But I still think that the Silent Hill movie is a better videogame movie than a lot. Like, compare it to Street Fighter or Super Mario Bros, and Silent Hill clearly is better. They obviously can't transition a videogame directly to a movie, so I was okay with them having to make some changes. The nods to the videogame were pretty nice though. I appreciated that she had to stop and check the map at bus stops a few times while running through the empty and foggy town.

I haven't seen the second Silent Hill movie. I've heard bad things about it. Still kinda want to watch it someday.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alls I know is, seein that chick's skin get ripped off was fuckin' crazy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So I finally got deep into Amnesia, A Machine for Pigs. Game is good.

This sounds kind of stupid, but am I the only one that likes how light the gameplay is? The removal of the inventory/oil/sanity management makes the game a whole lot more painless to play, and there's very few times where you can actually die which I appreciate.

One of my biggest pet peeves in scary games is where you die a lot and have to replay the same areas, which totally kills the scary. I didn't die THAT much in the first Amnesia, but whenever I did it put a huge damper on things.

Anyway the visual and audio design are fantastic, and the sets are really detailed and unnerving. If that's what you're looking for I recommend checking the game out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

HJE-Cobra posted:

The first Silent Hill movie did a lot of things wrong, but it did a lot of things pretty right, in my opinion. They definitely nailed the look of the games, at least. Obviously they did a bunch of weird stuff with plot and secondary characters, and the bloodbath and stuff near the end was a bit ugh. But I still think that the Silent Hill movie is a better videogame movie than a lot. Like, compare it to Street Fighter or Super Mario Bros, and Silent Hill clearly is better. They obviously can't transition a videogame directly to a movie, so I was okay with them having to make some changes. The nods to the videogame were pretty nice though. I appreciated that she had to stop and check the map at bus stops a few times while running through the empty and foggy town.

I haven't seen the second Silent Hill movie. I've heard bad things about it. Still kinda want to watch it someday.

Seriously, I actually like the first SH movie, if only because, visually, it's pretty drat great. I watched it again recently and, yeah, it's still an enjoyable movie. I wish they'd kept Harry Mason as the protagonist, but, y'know, executives.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I actually liked the visual at the end of the first movie. Alessa ripping Queen Bitch apart and doing an airplane dance in her blood was adorable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Apparently the director initially wanted the entire cast to be female, Sean Bean and the sheriff/janitor scenes were a late addition. I think it's part of why so much of the movie's story is explained in a five minute lecture/montage at the end. But then apparently Revelations is even worse about having the whole plot explained with words in one big chunk.

Haunting Ground can be annoying at first as you get a feel for how the thing chasing you behaves and how the game works but in general. I think that turned a lot of people off from it but I like it a lot.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 7, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Haunting Ground does everything Clock Tower 3 was trying to do and makes it pretty good. Play Haunting Ground.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

DeathChicken posted:

Also Haunting Ground does everything Clock Tower 3 was trying to do and makes it pretty good. Play Haunting Ground.

I really enjoyed Haunting Ground as a teenager and I agree that the gameplay was well done and perfectly encapsulates the "predator" villain vibe, but even now I remember being pretty grossed out by how it treated the women in the cast.
:can: I know, and obligatory gross Capcom fanservice aside, I distinctly remember an optional cutscene where final boss bad guy viciously beats emotionally vacant servant woman in the face, on camera, who then proceeds to look at you and smile, her face bleeding.

I know it was meant to add to the horror aesthetic and demonstrate just how hosed up the situation is but given the rest of the plot I just found it enormously unnecessary.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I've never really played Haunting Ground, but the videos I've watched made me feel kind of sleazy afterwards. It's actually a pretty good horror game, by all appearances, but it also has no class whatsoever.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Jmcrofts posted:

So I finally got deep into Amnesia, A Machine for Pigs. Game is good.

This sounds kind of stupid, but am I the only one that likes how light the gameplay is? The removal of the inventory/oil/sanity management makes the game a whole lot more painless to play, and there's very few times where you can actually die which I appreciate.

One of my biggest pet peeves in scary games is where you die a lot and have to replay the same areas, which totally kills the scary. I didn't die THAT much in the first Amnesia, but whenever I did it put a huge damper on things.

Anyway the visual and audio design are fantastic, and the sets are really detailed and unnerving. If that's what you're looking for I recommend checking the game out.

AMFP was really weird for me. I loved it on its own, but as an Amnesia game I was really let down. I would have liked it a lot more and been less disappointed if it was marketed as a stand-alone game.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Hey, man. If the fabulous fashion sense of the Scissor twins is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Dad?

My father is a huge gamer and after running out of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and with another horror game like Alone in the Dark a few years away he tried Clock Tower 3 and for a good couple years after we would randomly say "SNIP-SNAP" to each other at the confusion of my mother.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seriously, I actually like the first SH movie, if only because, visually, it's pretty drat great. I watched it again recently and, yeah, it's still an enjoyable movie. I wish they'd kept Harry Mason as the protagonist, but, y'know, executives.

I watched the movies with some friends and left it confused at the plot and at the lack of "The Art of Silent Hill" or some other collection of concept art from the movie or game series. Visually the game has some of the most interesting monsters of video games and I would love to have a better look at them since H. R. Giger is fantastic but some well lit artwork of the grotesque is more than welcome by me.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
A Jacob's Ladder remake with Steven Soderburgh directing and Cronenburg doing the practical effects is probs the closest any movie would come to being a "Silent Hill" movie.
But that's a pipe dream.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm crossposting this from the Steam thread because in retrospect it probably fits better here, even if they're not all actually horror games.

So I was thinking, this being October and all, about taking a break from Marvel Heroes and FarCry 3 and going through some of my Halloweeny games over the next few weeks. The Cinema Discusso does an October movie challenge to watch 31 horror movies over the course of the month, and looking at my backlog I think I could do something similar with my less-played games. I'd be starting a week in, but my goal would be less to play through the whole thing and more to get a spirited taste for the season. Also, I fully expect some of these to suck and force me to jump to a new game after a matter of minutes.

1. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
2. Adventures of Shuggy
3. Afterfall InSanity: Extended Edition
4. Alan Wake
5. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
6. Alien Breed 2: Assault
7. Alien: Isolation
8. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
9. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
10. Atom Zombie Smasher
11. Betrayer
12. Burn Zombie Burn
13. The Cat Lady
14. Closure
15. Deadlight
16. Eldrich
17. Ghost Master
18. Hell Yeah!
19. Home
20. Huntsman - The Orphanage
21. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
22. Infected: The Twin Vaccine
23. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
24. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
25. Organ Trail: Director's Cut
26. Paranormal State: Poison Spring Collector's Edition
27. The Path
28. Scarygirl
29. The Scourge Project: Episode 1 and 2
30. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
31. Velvet Assassin

Would anyone be interested in writeups/impressions of these, here or in another thread? I've picked a bunch of games that I either never played, never finished, or wanted to revisit for one reason or another. I also have plenty more that would fit the theme if the unthinkable happens and I run out of games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's kind of a weird list. I don't really know how anyone would classify Velvet Assassin as being even remotely horror-related, and Scarygirl is just a lovely platformer with vaguely Invader Zim-like art. Shuggy's just kind of a generic looking puzzle game.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well it's not like it was supposed to be a horror list, just described as a "Halloweeny" list. I don't think Organ Trail is a horror game either but it's Halloweeny, I'd say

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm just going to point out some of the more questionable choices in your list:

3. Afterfall InSanity: Extended Edition

I tried a bit of this, it's janky and very strange but should be interesting if you're not looking for quality horror. I gave up when the game bugged out on me.

8. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
9. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Machine for Pigs has great atmosphere but is more exploring than gameplay in comparison to Descent. Both have somewhat ridiculous storylines but Machine gets the worse criticism because everyone expected it to be exactly like Descent in gameplay. Machine also has the silly .jpeg jump scare bit.

13. The Cat Lady

Seems alright but there's a lot of very edgy/metal design throughout, and the story is way less subtle than it implies in the beginning. The motive is to remove some "maggots" and it means "kill a bunch of serial killers :stare:. The ending is also incredibly silly with a moral of don't feed the troll (which is actually a line said out loud by a character).

19. Home

This is absolute trash and not worth it honestly. (The End! No Moral.) Play the much better Gone Home, or if you want other (hurrr) Walking Simulators, Dear Esther, Ether One and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter are better than loving Home.

27. The Path

I personally think this game has some good ideas but is marred by pretentiousness and obtuse game design. Start from the youngest girl (I made the mistake of starting from the eldest and got very confused), go for the duller "follow the path" run then stray from the path the next playthrough. You DO NOT have to pick up all the flowers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The thing that I think really sold the LOOK of the Silent Hill movie to make it really look like the games, was in certain scenes where the camera would position itself in the exact same way the games would. With the fixed camera in a specific position when she's running around looking for her daughter, or during the first scene at night with the baby things, the overhead shots are so right out of the games. The plot wasn't great, but the fact that they nailed the look of everything so perfectly completely won me over.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hakkesshu posted:

That's kind of a weird list. I don't really know how anyone would classify Velvet Assassin as being even remotely horror-related, and Scarygirl is just a lovely platformer with vaguely Invader Zim-like art. Shuggy's just kind of a generic looking puzzle game.

This is why I hesitated posting here, because I picked some of these knowing full well that some are very tenuously "halloweeny". I admit I totally forgot what Velvet Assassin was when I picked it... I thought she was a vampire for some reason. I'll probably switch it out for Year Walk, which I completely forgot I had.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm just going to point out some of the more questionable choices in your list:

I appreciate the feedback, but I picked these with the intent of writing up and sharing my thoughts on them, positive or negative. I've already been through Afterfall and Home, for example, so I know what to expect there.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ah, ok. Year Walk is pretty good though so that's a fair choice.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

HJE-Cobra posted:

The first Silent Hill movie did a lot of things wrong, but it did a lot of things pretty right, in my opinion. They definitely nailed the look of the games, at least. Obviously they did a bunch of weird stuff with plot and secondary characters, and the bloodbath and stuff near the end was a bit ugh. But I still think that the Silent Hill movie is a better videogame movie than a lot.

Considering we live in a world where the single best videogame movie in existence is Mortal Kombat, I have to agree with this post.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I watched the movies with some friends and left it confused at the plot and at the lack of "The Art of Silent Hill" or some other collection of concept art from the movie or game series. Visually the game has some of the most interesting monsters of video games and I would love to have a better look at them since H. R. Giger is fantastic but some well lit artwork of the grotesque is more than welcome by me.

Giger was involved with SH?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So, I'm desperate for semi-decent horror and I just ran across ObsCure. Before I decide whether or not to try it out can anyone tell me...is there anything to recommend it. The trailers make it clear it's going to have some very bad dialogue but if the actual gameplay is decent I can get past that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, they're pretty awful. The darkness mechanic is interesting, but nothing that not even Alan Wake didn't do better.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Co-op is the only reason to play those games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

oriongates posted:

So, I'm desperate for semi-decent horror and I just ran across ObsCure. Before I decide whether or not to try it out can anyone tell me...is there anything to recommend it. The trailers make it clear it's going to have some very bad dialogue but if the actual gameplay is decent I can get past that.

I think it's a pretty decent game. Reminiscent of oldschool Resident Evil mixed with The Faculty. If I were you I'd find an LP and watch 5 or so minutes during a gameplay segment and see if you can dig it. I can't wait for the inevitable argument where someone pointlessly tries to convince people whether or not a game is horror.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Five Nights at Freddy's the current indie darling? There's a clone for it in the Google Play store already.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

adamantium|wang posted:

Considering we live in a world where the single best videogame movie in existence is Mortal Kombat, I have to agree with this post.

This is truth.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

adamantium|wang posted:

Somebody's never watched the Phoenix Wright film. :colbert:

Roelosaurus
Jun 5, 2014

I'm to scared to play horror games, how can I get rid of my "scaredness"?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Roelosaurus posted:

Stop being babby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Roelosaurus posted:

Play them with your curtins open and a friend next to you?

I can be a big babby with horror but I'm fine so long as I'm not playing alone in the middle of the night