Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh woah, holy poo poo, you're telling me that something that was true after the last update is still true because we're still in the same update? drat, gotta sit down for this one

Next you're going to tell me it's been about 7 months since that update in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It's also still true of the nightlies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They did just post on the blog the other day about making special weapons out of sidegrade materials.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jackard posted:

Do asteroids still have terrestrial creatures spawning and promptly falling to their deaths?

I need to test it - I didn't think to try building up until I reach lower orbit, which is essentially like going to an asteroid field (been a while since I tried it).

I sure as hell hope so!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Varinn posted:

can we talk about how this post is still fundamentally true about the game

Nope 'cause they've been working on addressing this very obvious issue. From the sep 30th blog:

"Presently, a heavy focus has been placed on each biome having its own unique resources and loot in the form of costumes, tools, and weapons. Its all in the name of variety!"

One specific example they mentioned was tar being very versatile and that you could build a lot of stuff with it, like a spear that lobs balls of tar at enemies. This spear (along with many others) is in game in the nightlies, this isn't theoretical stuff. Nightlies have a butt-ton of post-stable content in them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

XboxPants posted:

One specific example they mentioned was tar being very versatile and that you could build a lot of stuff with it, like a spear that lobs balls of tar at enemies.

Finally.

The Tar Spear.

Alot of people have been waiting a long time for this concept to become a reality.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Finally.

The Tar Spear.

Alot of people have been waiting a long time for this concept to become a reality.

Would it be better if it was a crystal halberd powered by big chunks of charged uranium that shoots lasers when you swing it? 'Cause that's also an option. There's dozens of these already and they've only done the weapons for the first few biomes. Personally I'm looking forward to the cthulhu planet weapons.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Would it be better if it was a crystal halberd powered by big chunks of charged uranium that shoots lasers when you swing it? 'Cause that's also an option. There's dozens of these already and they've only done the weapons for the first few biomes. Personally I'm looking forward to the cthulhu planet weapons.

Dude, just...bail on the thread like everyone else, hang out on the official forums if you like, it'll be more productive.

You are either arguing with people that have no interest but low-effort trolling or people who literally will never, ever be happy with anything and just shift the goalposts around until the heat death of the universe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

For what little it's worth, I think it's a cool idea. So long as said Tar weapon isn't useless the very next tier/barely competitive with current gear :v: That Tesla spear back in stable for example still remained practical for a few extra tiers even when it's damage dropped off, because the reach+huge lightning projectile still gave it practical value along with the sheer :rock: factor.

I went in not thinking I'd like the Apex, but they turned out to be pretty cool. Not just because of the banana convenience. I can admit there are a lot of cool things being worked on, and it is good to hear about some steps back in the right direction like the Manipulator not being ore gated in nightly. That's part of why 90% of my complaints are about combat and survival :airquote: "Progression", because really that was my only main issue back in stable and everything else wasn't that big a deal to worry about.

Now important tools are getting their own hotbar, ship size upgrades , things like the air tank will get bundled into later crafted tiers of armor, etc. Even if a lot of the new things have their own steps back or little nitpicks. Like still not being able to use lantern on a stick for light because you still need your air tank/heat tank/poison tank/etc.

Magmarashi posted:

Dude, just...bail on the thread like everyone else, hang out on the official forums if you like, it'll be more productive.

You are either arguing with people that have no interest but low-effort trolling or people who literally will never, ever be happy with anything and just shift the goalposts around until the heat death of the universe.

Alas, this guy is probably right. At least about the second part.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

Those are literally the only two possible categories capable of producing a negative opinion of any kind about Starbound, so yeah, I agree with this guy: Ouyapants get out

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I know those guys are just trolling and there's zero chance I'm going to "change their mind", and I don't give a crap about them. He just happened to bring up an issue worth talking about, the new minibiome craftable side-grade stuff, so I used that as an opportunity to talk about the actual game, since I know there are actually people that are interested in reading about what new stuff is being added.

Like, did any of you guys know about that uranium laser spear before I posted about it? If you didn't, then I feel like it was a worthwhile post and I could care less what the motivations were of the guy I was replying to.

Don't worry so much about other people's posting, geez, you guys are way, way too caught up in what you perceive my motivations to be and how that somehow negatively affects you.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Speaking of magnets, this game needs Magnet tech that let you walk on ceilings and walls. Like the Spider Ball from Metroid

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Varinn posted:

can we talk about how this post is still fundamentally true about the game
Yep, it always felt like (at least in pre-hardmode) so many items in Terraria were materials, and so many things could be made, even if they were just decorative. Or weird accessories, or weird building blocks, and all kinds of furnitures, and neat weapons and armors. In Starbound basically only the ores and stone+wood are materials. Nothing else matters. In Terraria you can kill enemies for supplies but in Starbound every enemy just drops pixels. There's no reason to hunt or fight them. All you need is ingots and that's it. For a game that randomly generates so much stuff they need to start making loot that you can find and make it worth finding.
Also how the hell can you have so many amazing cool features to put in random weapons, then strip them all out and stick them only in unique weapons and make 99% of normal weapons just the same poo poo with slightly different numbers. This is loving Borderlands syndrome. Don't make a cool effect and then limit it to a unique, put it in the loving random pool of any weapon.
E: I see they're sort of doing that? I hope that new cool stuff they're adding still isn't uniques-only.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 7, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I liked that aspect of Terraria. It's something that the Xbox version of Minecraft did as well. Giving your players a guide to show what awesome stuff you can make is a great way for them to keep exploring.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Yep, it always felt like (at least in pre-hardmode) so many items in Terraria were materials, and so many things could be made, even if they were just decorative. Or weird accessories, or weird building blocks, and all kinds of furnitures, and neat weapons and armors. In Starbound basically only the ores and stone+wood are materials. Nothing else matters. In Terraria you can kill enemies for supplies but in Starbound every enemy just drops pixels. There's no reason to hunt or fight them. All you need is ingots and that's it. For a game that randomly generates so much stuff they need to start making loot that you can find and make it worth finding.
Also how the hell can you have so many amazing cool features to put in random weapons, then strip them all out and stick them only in unique weapons and make 99% of normal weapons just the same poo poo with slightly different numbers. This is loving Borderlands syndrome. Don't make a cool effect and then limit it to a unique, put it in the loving random pool of any weapon.

The problem with putting all effects on all weapons is that they'll turn into what monsters ended up as, in that it ends up all being mostly samey with different coats of paint.
This was a noted complaint, in this very thread even, so it makes sense for them to extend their treatment of monster variety to weapons as well, by separating them per biome/intensity.

Besides, with all the work apparently being done on status effects I'm pretty sure that generic and crafted weapons will have a broad enough pool of effects that it won't matter, while still setting unique weapons apart.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cicadas! posted:

The problem with putting all effects on all weapons is that they'll turn into what monsters ended up as, in that it ends up all being mostly samey with different coats of paint.
This was a noted complaint, in this very thread even, so it makes sense for them to extend their treatment of monster variety to weapons as well, by separating them per biome/intensity.
I absolutely do not agree.
Taking special effects off of normal weapons you can find leaves them more samey, because now they're the same paintjob clones but without anything cool to bolster what is otherwise just number-swapping. If you could find any gun that had the Wave effect in Borderlands 1, they would have felt slightly less unique, but they sure would have been set apart, especially if the effect was rare. But by instead putting it on just one premade gun, you took one more cool difference out of the random pool.
Removing unique flairs makes things more samey, not less.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Thank you for entirely omitting the second part of my post where I address this very concern, for some reason?
Also found guns already do this, even in stable, so it's kind of ridiculous to think that they won't extend this type of variety to melee weapons as well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Thank you for entirely omitting the second part of my post where I address this very concern, for some reason?
Also found guns already do this, even in stable, so it's kind of ridiculous to think that they won't extend this type of variety to melee weapons as well.

Definitely for found weapons, but I think one of the concerns is whether crafted weapons. Terraria's randomization system was pretty cool, but it sounds like Starbound may be going a different direction, where to craft an unusual weapon you need to go get unusual resources (tar spear with the slow debuff projectile, etc). The basic/racial weapons are, as others are saying, pretty much all the same with slightly different numbers.

Which I guess fits with everything else about the race, it's basically just a cosmetic difference right now. Weren't races supposed to have racial abilities way back when? Haven't heard anything about that for a while, or was that idea scrapped?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh woah, holy poo poo, you're telling me that something that was true after the last update is still true because we're still in the same update? drat, gotta sit down for this one

Next you're going to tell me it's been about 7 months since that update in the first place

I'm on the pro-Starbound side and I still think you're postin' super bad

My stance is that $10 dollars is basically not even money and if I'm out $10 whoopsie poopsie

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

okay

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patware posted:

My stance is that $10 dollars is basically not even money and if I'm out $10 whoopsie poopsie

Yeah but I also like to take a few minutes to poo poo on that $10 purchase, because it was bad and like 5 people will respond no matter what.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I believe you at least 20%

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I know those guys are just trolling and there's zero chance I'm going to "change their mind", and I don't give a crap about them. He just happened to bring up an issue worth talking about, the new minibiome craftable side-grade stuff, so I used that as an opportunity to talk about the actual game, since I know there are actually people that are interested in reading about what new stuff is being added.

Like, did any of you guys know about that uranium laser spear before I posted about it? If you didn't, then I feel like it was a worthwhile post and I could care less what the motivations were of the guy I was replying to.

Don't worry so much about other people's posting, geez, you guys are way, way too caught up in what you perceive my motivations to be and how that somehow negatively affects you.

I did not know about either the tar spear or the uranium laser spear, and they're both cool to hear about! Biome specific craftable weapons ought to add a ton of purpose / incentive to exploring and harvesting various block types.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Patware posted:

For a second I was like "they reduced the price to $10?" Like sales, whatev', idgaf, but if they reduced the regular price by $5 before the game is even out, that would be pretty shady and I would've been kinda salty over that.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you think it likes bellyrubs?

She hasn't been in the office since Friday so she super excited this morning.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That puppy is clearly slowing progress on the game. For the good of the game you need to get rid of the puppy.

Give me the puppy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Supernorn posted:

That dog got uncute really fast.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Supernorn posted:

How appropriate. They got a breed that eats its own poop, stubborn to train, and doesn't like little kids.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And they also got a dog

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

For a second I was like "they reduced the price to $10?" Like sales, whatev', idgaf, but if they reduced the regular price by $5 before the game is even out, that would be pretty shady and I would've been kinda salty over that.

Was the pre-order $15? Whatever amount of money it was

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Supernorn posted:

I demand a puprogress pupdate™ every week.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Patware posted:

Was the pre-order $15? Whatever amount of money it was

Jackard posted:

Who cares about that, lets highlight wild exaggerations! :tipshat:

Patware posted:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jackard posted:

Speaking of magnets, this game needs Magnet tech that let you walk on ceilings and walls. Like the Spider Ball from Metroid

Agreed

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Patware posted:

Wait, is this about Starbound or threadshitting?

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

So the recent dev blog post with the rainbow effect sparked my creativity. Imagine that effect here.

DropsyDome, two people enter, two friends leave!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This thread shitposts at a higher rate than the Canadian Politics one does, and that amazes me. 500 posts about nothing in well under two weeks? :stare:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rime posted:

This thread shitposts at a higher rate than the Canadian Politics one does, and that amazes me. 500 posts about nothing in well under two weeks? :stare:

Starmound

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hosed up if true

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supernorn posted:

Starhound.

Finally got one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Starhound.

• Locked thread