Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

From the previous sentence in the same post:

Then what about state governments? "Harrisburg" and "Albany" do stuff to their populations all the time. Probably doesn't hold up as well in places like Mass and WA where the capital is also the largest city though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

Then what about state governments? "Harrisburg" and "Albany" do stuff to their populations all the time. Probably doesn't hold up as well in places like Mass and WA where the capital is also the largest city though.

This is a dumb tangent. The issue wasn't MP talking about Kiev, or if you prefer Washington, Harrisburg and Albany. If was him talking about Kievans, the equivalent of which would be Washingtonians, Harrisburgers, and Albanians. Like, take this headline (ignore the article itself):
Imagine if instead it read:

quote:

Elections in Syria: Washingtonians Pressured Several Countries to Prevent Syrian Expats from Voting
Doesn't it make a difference?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How is the situation now? The fog of war is confusing, are they still at a standoff?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So someone I know from past life found an interesting old Soviet political cartoon.
I am linking it and not embedding it 'cause swastika flags:
http://lpix.org/1820908/10155726_10203428347482916_6362255149739182346_n.jpg

The text is, at top:
"Through Ply...mouth glasses, y.1936"

The sign is "To Spain"
The glasses say "Not an intervention"
... And the subtitle: "Lord Plymouth: I don't see any German troops. I see only volunteers!".

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
That reminds me, how much money did Yanukvych steal from his own country through embezzlement and money laundering?

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Happy birthday to you, Supreme White Overlord of Lucy H.!

Ave Ceasar!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Veni, vidi, vici...what's latin for "and then we beat up some minorities and tortured some people"

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Heil dir im Siegerkranz,
Herrscher des Vaterlands!
Heil, Kaiser, dir!
Fühl in des Thrones Glanz
Die hohe Wonne ganz,
Liebling des Volks zu sein!
Heil Kaiser, dir!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TeodorMorozov posted:

Happy birthday to you, Supreme White Overlord of Lucy H.!

Ave Ceasar!

Is this a race thing or White as in the broad political categorization in Russian history thing? Doesn't make a great deal of sense either way.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Besides Putin's birth, some other sad things deeply connected to him happened today: the founding of his favorite past dictatorship, the so-called "German Democratic Republic", and the murder of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who reported on many abuses of Russia regimes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

Is this a race thing or White as in the broad political categorization in Russian history thing? Doesn't make a great deal of sense either way.

Maybe it is a counter to Black Overlord Barack Obama.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Kievpost translated an interesting interview with a Widow of a Russian Officer:

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/he-wasnt-a-volunteer-says-wife-of-a-russian-officer-who-died-in-donbas-367260.html

Translation of:
http://www.novayagazeta.ru/society/65502.html

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukrainian Parliamentary Elections have quite a debate match up coming up: Right Sector's Dmitro Yarosh vs... Darth Vader. (There are lots of parties so they split debates up into smaller randomly chosen ones of 4 parties; I don't know anything about the other two parties in matchup).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dolash posted:

It's part of his Russian Troll image meme posting gimmick. I wouldn't think about it too hard.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I hope this is the right thread for it, apologies if not.

There's been some hullabaloo in Swedish news today after a Gripen airplane caused a sonic boom over a populated area going towards an area in the Baltic Sea in what was later confirmed by the head of press at the Swedish Armed Forces, Philip Simon, to not have been a training mission. He also added that the aerial activity the plane was investigating was over international waters and that there had been no violation of Swedish airspace here but declined to comment further.

I haven't found a translation to English yet, but people have been linking to https://twitter.com/Latvijas_armija/status/519418931535446016 - not sure if that is trustworthy in any way, shape or form though.

This follows closely behind an earlier incident on the 17th of September where Russian airplanes did violate Swedish airspace which is probably why this has blown up a bit more than one'd expect - it seems very rare for such things to be written or spoken about in the news, as far as I know.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what happened today the kind of thing that pretty much goes on all the time?

News article in Swedish for those who can read it: http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/skarp-insats-ledde-till-ljudbang-over-oland/

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Inepta Lacerta posted:

There's been some hullabaloo in Swedish news today after a Gripen airplane caused a sonic boom over a populated area going towards an area in the Baltic Sea in what was later confirmed by the head of press at the Swedish Armed Forces, Philip Simon, to not have been a training mission. He also added that the aerial activity the plane was investigating was over international waters and that there had been no violation of Swedish airspace here but declined to comment further.

Something similar happened in Finland a few weeks ago, September 21st to be precise. Some defense force planes, Hornets, were flying across the eastern part of the country so fast that it caused a sonic boom and people were pretty freaked out by that. Some head from the defense forces said that it was not part of any training exercise but rather an operative "connaissance" flight (I'm not sure what the exact term is). He declined to comment beyond that and said that it was not a "scheduled" exercise and that they needed to move some equipment around. What or why exactly, he couldn't say. This hasn't come up since. It was pretty weird and admittedly got some peoples' imagination going.

:raise:

Ah, apparently a Russian plane violated Latvian airspace today. Well...

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 7, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I haven't found a translation to English yet, but people have been linking to https://twitter.com/Latvijas_armija/status/519418931535446016 - not sure if that is trustworthy in any way, shape or form though.
If anything, it is official profile of Latvian Armed Forces.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

kalstrams posted:

If anything, it is official profile of Latvian Armed Forces.

That was my guess, but since I don't speak Latvian it is hard to tell for sure. (Not helped by me having at best very limited knowledge on the subject of the post. :eng99: )

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inepta Lacerta posted:

That was my guess, but since I don't speak Latvian it is hard to tell for sure. (Not helped by me having at best very limited knowledge on the subject of the post. :eng99: )
Well, not sure if I get you, but neither of tweets next to one you have linked mention anything about Gripens.

If you mention that as separate event, then it is neither first nor fifth time this year that Russia flies things in neutral Baltic airspace within proximity of that of various coastal countries.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Well, not sure if I get you, but neither of tweets next to one you have linked mention anything about Gripens.

If you mention that as separate event, then it is neither first nor fifth time this year that Russia flies things in neutral Baltic airspace within proximity of that of various coastal countries.

Yeah, sorry about that - it was mentioned in the swedish article from today. As for the twitter link I merely wasn't certain if it was actually a Latvian army account or not.

But yeah, I thought as much re: flying in neutral airspace, so this is just Swedish media blowing stuff out of proportion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The German help convoy has reached Ukraine. The goods will be brought into the east of the country soon, mostly stuff like generators, winter clothes, blankets and heaters.

Sadly, we have no tanks and trucks to spare like the Russians, so we'll only help the civilians.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Libluini posted:

The German help convoy has reached Ukraine. The goods will be brought into the east of the country soon, mostly stuff like generators, winter clothes, blankets and heaters.

Sadly, we have no tanks and trucks to spare like the Russians, so we'll only help the civilians.

I also suspect that the German convoy is likely to actually go back empty and not loaded up with the spoils of war.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Libluini posted:

What are the chances that the terrorists will straight up fire upon the help convoys and try to take everything for themselves?
And when this invariably happens, how will Germany react? Impotent finger-wagging, or?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Finlander posted:

What are the chances that the terrorists will straight up fire upon the help convoys and try to take everything for themselves?
And when this invariably happens, how will Germany react? Impotent finger-wagging, or?

I assume this aid is being delivered to the the eastern part of the country under Ukrainian control and to Ukrainian authorities for distribution. I don't think they're going to be entering Russian occupied territory and delivering goods to the 'rebels'.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Finlander posted:

Honestly? Considering the army is the only thing that works in the Bundeswehr, all bets are off. With our flying forces one could reasonably assume nothing, since every machine we'd try to send would be broken anyway, but in this case our braindead monkeys impersonating politicians could very well decide to do something stupid and escalate to far, too fast.

Fintilgin posted:

I assume this aid is being delivered to the the eastern part of the country under Ukrainian control and to Ukrainian authorities for distribution. I don't think they're going to be entering Russian occupied territory and delivering goods to the 'rebels'.

Also this.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

If that's the case, then it's good that they're not putting themselves at too much risk, but on the other hand, the situation is pretty dire for the people stuck in occupied territory. They're the ones who need the help the most, I think, but there's no way they'll be able to get any while the terrorists are roaming around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So apparently that international conference of white supremacists that Dugin was meant to speak at in Hungary got banned (surprisingly) by Viktor "illiberal new state based on national foundations" Orbán.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/hungary-tried-to-stop-a-white-nationalist-gathering-but-it-h

It still happened in secret, but Dugin was apparently denied a visa and told he would be arrested if he tried to come.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

OddObserver posted:

Besides Putin's birth, some other sad things deeply connected to him happened today: the founding of his favorite past dictatorship, the so-called "German Democratic Republic", and the murder of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who reported on many abuses of Russia regimes.

And it's Ollie North's birthday :)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Libluini posted:

Honestly? Considering the army is the only thing that works in the Bundeswehr, all bets are off. With our flying forces one could reasonably assume nothing, since every machine we'd try to send would be broken anyway, but in this case our braindead monkeys impersonating politicians could very well decide to do something stupid and escalate to far, too fast.

Separatists already shot down an airliner filled with EU citizens and Europe offered an anemic shrug in response. I don't think there's any attack the separatists could perpetrate at this point that would provoke military reaction out of Germany - the attack that killed a Red Cross worker was barely a blip.

At this point we can assume that Russia could use its own artillery from within rebel-held territory to blast Germany's convoy of blankets and heaters into bits and Germany wouldn't even escalate to selling Ukrainians weapons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dolash posted:

Separatists already shot down an airliner filled with EU citizens and Europe offered an anemic shrug in response. I don't think there's any attack the separatists could perpetrate at this point that would provoke military reaction out of Germany - the attack that killed a Red Cross worker was barely a blip.

At this point we can assume that Russia could use its own artillery from within rebel-held territory to blast Germany's convoy of blankets and heaters into bits and Germany wouldn't even escalate to selling Ukrainians weapons.

That's, um, a significant understatement of the international response, and an overstatement of Russia's scope of available activity in the area.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This 17 year old boy disappeared from Donetsk on July 23. His body was IDd on October 6.

https://twitter.com/lennutrajektoor/status/519554792754933760

The central bank in Russia has spent almost 2 billion propping up the ruble.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...1997367ae62cc92

Russian military ID found in Novodair.

The OSCE drones to survey the buffer zone are being deployed. Anyone want to take bets on how long they stay in the air?

https://twitter.com/OSCE_SMM/status/519570437991198721

Privatbank is now the Novorussia police station.

Current body count in Donetsk today is three. Happy ceasefire, everyone.

http://www.unian.ua/society/993584-sogodni-vrantsi-zaginuli-tri-jiteli-donetska-sche-4-poraneno.html

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Sadly you underestimate how dumb German politicians can be. German politicians could be replaced by a dartboard with random suggestions on it and apes throwing darts and you would get more reasonable decisions out of them.

Remember, our defense minister already promised sending soldiers into Ukraine for a recon mission before she had to backpedal because she didn't tell her fellow politicians about her idea beforehand.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

UN says, according to news app on my phone, that there are 300 something dead since ceasefire, about 4 thousand since April 2014.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

kalstrams posted:

UN says, according to news app on my phone, that there are 300 something dead since ceasefire, about 4 thousand since April 2014.

And this is mostly just the terrorists firing on cities and civilians?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finlander posted:

And this is mostly just the terrorists firing on cities and civilians?
I have not had time yet to read into full UN statement but one has to guess that it is total from all sides.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The central bank in Russia has spent almost 2 billion propping up the ruble.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...1997367ae62cc92

Can anyone give me some perspective on this? Is it a lot to spend on this sort of thing?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Can anyone give me some perspective on this? Is it a lot to spend on this sort of thing?

Not dramatically so, it isn't nothing but amount expected considering the drop in oil prices. 91.40 (Brent) is the lowest oil prices have been since 2011. Also, natural gas prices are dropping. Russia is being hit by one of the real drawbacks of Dutch disease.

Also, China's slowdown maybe accelerating along with continued malaise in Europe and Japan which is doing a number on commodities.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oil companies around the world are taking a beating, Preem posting large losses and Statoil cutting down on personnel by about ~1500-1900.

Production is gonna drop and maybe prices will stabilize (unless the economy continues to poo poo itself).

Bad times for Russia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Oil companies around the world are taking a beating, Preem posting large losses and Statoil cutting down on personnel by about ~1500-1900.

Production is gonna drop and maybe prices will stabilize (unless the economy continues to poo poo itself).

Bad times for Russia.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do, the drop is entirely unrelated to the current crisis but it is going to put continued pressured on their currency reserves especially if this is a long trend.

It is honestly hard to say, Russia has built up quite stash of funds but if China starts a global panic, their revenue is going to drop like a rock. One thing is that Putin has allowed the Ruble to drop with only comparably light intervention.

It is also going to put even more pressure on Venezuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Russia has Germany by the balls, or worse, Germany is complicit. Either way the EU is going to languish under their rule.

• Locked thread