Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You'd think a guy who used to swordfight all the time in his home's dojo would be able to put up a better fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nahxela posted:

You'd think a guy who used to swordfight all the time in his home's dojo would be able to put up a better fight.

As someone who does Judo. No. No you wouldn't. The only way to get good at grappling is to do a lot of grappling.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Also of note, sparring tends to follow a lot of rules, so if you're used to that format an actual fight without rules can really screw with your expectations and throw off your timing and reactions.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Although irrespective of all that quibbling, Kirito did quit kendo for years and became a basement dweller, and then spent two years on life support, needing months of physical therapy just to do anything at all, so I wouldn't expect much from him as a fighter IRL.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, his epic battle with Rapey McRapeman was kind of a special situation. Can't really expect Kirito to fare nearly as well against Rapey 2: Nonconsensual Boogaloo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He had his Stand on hand for Dio. He wasn't so lucky with Dork Vader here.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, I'll acknowledge that Kirito was able to successfully disarm a man who was half-blind and terrified of him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, I'll acknowledge that Kirito was able to successfully disarm a man who was half-blind and terrified of him.
Introducing his face to the car door helped matters too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kirito almost beat Suguha in a kendo match after only recently coming out of a coma.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Kirito almost beat Suguha in a kendo match after only recently coming out of a coma.

Oh yeah I guess that happened too. Sorry, I've been willfully pretending Suguha doesn't exist.

All hail God Kirito then.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, this was mostly what I was thinking of. Kirito being an anime swordsman irl.

Raenir Salazar posted:

As someone who does Judo. No. No you wouldn't. The only way to get good at grappling is to do a lot of grappling.
I mean, I don't expect him to do anything amazing. He kneed what's his face in the face and then proceeded to get taken down pretty quickly. But I guess that would've dragged the scene on for longer than needed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, that marks the end of GGO. The next episode is called Debriefing. I can't tell if it will be Caliber or Mother's Rosario. I'm leaning towards Caliber, personally, as I like Klein the most.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Nalin posted:

Well, that marks the end of GGO. The next episode is called Debriefing. I can't tell if it will be Caliber or Mother's Rosario. I'm leaning towards Caliber, personally, as I like Klein the most.

With a title like that, hope it's a recap episode. That would just be icing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shere posted:

With a title like that, hope it's a recap episode. That would just be icing.

Hopefully Kirito and Sinon revisit that cave as a part of the framing device of the recap. Three episodes certainly wasn't enough of that, we need more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kirito and Asuna had their log cabin of domestic bliss. Kirito and Sinon can have their cave of butt shots. The only question is, will they call Sinon's rifle their daughter?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E: gently caress, wrong thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raxivace posted:

Hopefully Kirito and Sinon revisit that cave as a part of the framing device of the recap. Three episodes certainly wasn't enough of that, we need more.

It'll be a clip show with the entire harem* visiting the cave to hear everything that happened in GGO that the cameras didn't capture. Butt shots all around.

*including Klein

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

If this doesn't end in There Is But One Ultimate Way I'm demanding a refund on my crunchyroll sub

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I didn't know that existed until now.

Ahahahaha oh my god.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Adelheid posted:

There Is But One Ultimate Way
Doesn't include Klein, garbage. :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

We were just hit with the Great Wall of Exposition and the next episode is the one called "Debriefing"? :psyduck:

Sindai posted:

Klein would be the best waifu for Kirito. A Brofu.

Also, I just now learned about TIBOUW, but it's existence doesn't surprise me at all.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kirito and Asuna had their log cabin of domestic bliss. Kirito and Sinon can have their cave of butt shots. The only question is, will they call Sinon's rifle their daughter?

That reminds me of something: http://store.steampowered.com/app/272060

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hooray, another game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtJ7qAnOH0

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That air combat looks fun and, really, the only problem with Alfhiem was the fact that it was the setting for the worst story in the franchise so Kirito and Chums getting into dumb shinanigins in ALO sounds like a good time to me.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Regarding the fight: The whole situation with the Rapey fight makes a lot more sense if you assume that friend zone is on PCP

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, this was mostly what I was thinking of. Kirito being an anime swordsman irl.

I mean, I don't expect him to do anything amazing. He kneed what's his face in the face and then proceeded to get taken down pretty quickly. But I guess that would've dragged the scene on for longer than needed.

Eh, its very easy to go from having to the upperhand to getting wasted unless you know precisely what you need to do to hold the advantage. In this case Kirito lost his advantage entirely when he turned around to warn Sinon to run.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of a spin-off about Klein's experiences in SAO. His motivations are more relatable and he lacks Kirito god powers so his trials would actually have some amount of tension even knowing he survived already.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mo_Steel posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of a spin-off about Klein's experiences in SAO. His motivations are more relatable and he lacks Kirito god powers so his trials would actually have some amount of tension even knowing he survived already.

Klein's also interesting in that he and his guild specifically went for top tier PvP gear yeah?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

^This guy has it right. Being a really good swordsman (who hasn't properly practiced kendo in several years) doesn't make you a god-tier knuckle-brawler. Being a god-tier knuckle-brawler does though, funnily enough :v:

Give Kirito a shinai and he'll put up a better fight, though.

Babelfish incoming! I'm all for more mindless fun, but hopefully the translation isn't as atrocious this time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

^This guy has it right. Being a really good swordsman (who hasn't properly practiced kendo in several years) doesn't make you a god-tier knuckle-brawler. Being a god-tier knuckle-brawler does though, funnily enough :v:

Give Kirito a shinai and he'll put up a better fight, though.

Babelfish incoming! I'm all for more mindless fun, but hopefully the translation isn't as atrocious this time.

As a guy who practiced Kendo for close to ten years and repeatedly got his rear end kicked in fist fights during the interim, I can say for absolute certainty that Kendo did gently caress all for allowing me to fight back in any meaningful sense in a fist fight. The only advantage I got from it was that I was slightly more fit than I might have otherwise be, which clearly doesn't apply here.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does he go to any more games? So far the only design he's had that I liked were from SAO.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nope, the closest thing is Alicization and that's just regular Kazuto.

Which, I guess, is the SAO design, just sans silly outfit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azubah posted:

Does he go to any more games? So far the only design he's had that I liked were from SAO.

He makes more games... games such as...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Mosaic Armored Bikers?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

And all is forgiven for Kirito. :allears:

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Klein's also interesting in that he and his guild specifically went for top tier PvP gear yeah?

Only seen the anime so what's PvP gear in SAO? I know in GGO the division is solid ammo (pvp) and energy beam (pve).

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dervyn posted:

Only seen the anime so what's PvP gear in SAO? I know in GGO the division is solid ammo (pvp) and energy beam (pve).

Didn't she say that energy beam was chosen for PvE because it was unlimited ammo? I mean you watch her in the one scene shooting some raid boss in the dome but what happens when she runs out of ammo? The division is player preference for the task at hand more than likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No, players can equip shields which halve energy weapon damage. That's why no one uses them for pvp. Also, in that scene I thought she had a giant ammo stock next to her?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dervyn posted:

The Samurai get up armour he and his mates wore as I understood it from the last thread was PvP or otherwise very good gear for what he and his guild were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Might have been some last-hit bonus loot or something, you know, the SAO mechanic that was entirely forgotten once Kirito got his edgy, black coat after beating the first boss.

• Locked thread