Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

GrandpaPants posted:

Do the battles in Conquest flow well/are resolved quickly? At the very least I look forward to deterministic mechanics.

I wouldn't say they are quick, things like shielding, effects, and just thinking about who to strike can take up some time. Rounds only usually have one really important battle that I've seen. At the very least, it is not random and doing the math of combat before you commit somewhere can make a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yay! :dance:

I almost feel bad that I'm more excited about this than Netrunner, but honestly I think this will have a much bigger and more active player base than Netrunner in my local area.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 23, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

S.J. posted:

Yay! :dance:

I almost feel bad that I'm more excited about this than Netrunner, but honestly I think this will have a much bigger and more active player base than Netrunner in my local area.

It totes will in my area. I've been trying to demo Netrunner and no one cares, but there is a HUGE warhammer group at the store many of whom are very interested in the card game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

C'mon north Jersey... get into this game :ohdear:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My CSI Conquest order is being Processed as we speak. Yesss.

For anyone who has played the game already, which is better, Doom or Exterminatus? I was thinking of making a Tau deck because I loving love Robotech I guess, but I didn't know who to go between SM and Eldar. SM have area effect (Cardinis, Daring Assault Squad), combat tricks (Eager Recruit), solid beef (Blood Angel Veterans), Godwin Bolter as defense against flying units that Tau seem to lack, and Exterminatus. Eldar have, uh, a ranged unit and Doom. Choices :ohdear:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

:smug::hf::smug:

ALSO!

Next Warpack!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5092

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Do other LCG have cards like Netrunner's Hedge Fund, Sure Gamble and Jackson Howard (i.e. cards that are basically included in 99% of all decks)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I hope one of my friends gets interested in Warhammer Conquest, seems like it'd be fun...but I don't want to buy it if I can't play it haha.

I've been going through LOTR quests starting with the base core set with a buddy over hangouts. Considering how much trouble we had with the Escape then, hilariously, Hunt for Gollum...last night we DESTROYED Conflict at the Carrock.

I was playing a general support/questing deck with S Glorfindel, Eowyn, and Beravor and I could basically just barely quest through a location each turn so he could build up his deck. I'd actually never played the quest, and hadn't looked at it ahead of time, but could just tell with 2 quest cards...we reaaaally didn't want to blitz through phase 1. Fun to totally man handle a quest though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

polynominal-c posted:

Do other LCG have cards like Netrunner's Hedge Fund, Sure Gamble and Jackson Howard (i.e. cards that are basically included in 99% of all decks)

LOTR has Gandalf. I can't even remember any of its other neutrals.

The neutrals in Conquest seem kinda eh, so we'll see how they play out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I didn't even look, are there many neutral cards in Conquest? Everything seems very faction specific.

Zogwart! Yessssssss

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

polynominal-c posted:

Sort of. There tends to be cards you'll practically always use if you're playing a particular sphere/faction/race/whatever, but not so many that tend to show up in every deck. For instance, if you're playing with Tactics cards in LOTR, you'll practically always use Feint, or every deck in AGOT will have three of its House's +Gold cards (e.g. The Goldroad). I imagine the neutral cards for Conquest will find their way into many decks, if only for the cheap units with command icons or the extra shields, but I doubt they'll be as common as those in Netrunner. Here's the neutral Conquest cards in the core set, for comparison.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Sort of. There tends to be cards you'll practically always use if you're playing a particular sphere/faction/race/whatever, but not so many that tend to show up in every deck. For instance, if you're playing with Tactics cards in LOTR, you'll practically always use Feint, or every deck in AGOT will have three of its House's +Gold cards (e.g. The Goldroad). I imagine the neutral cards for Conquest will find their way into many decks, if only for the cheap units with command icons or the extra shields, but I doubt they'll be as common as those in Netrunner. Here's the neutral Conquest cards in the core set, for comparison.

Wow, some of those seem pretty drat useful. Not bad.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

For anyone who has played the game already, which is better, Doom or Exterminatus? I was thinking of making a Tau deck because I loving love Robotech I guess, but I didn't know who to go between SM and Eldar. SM have area effect (Cardinis, Daring Assault Squad), combat tricks (Eager Recruit), solid beef (Blood Angel Veterans), Godwin Bolter as defense against flying units that Tau seem to lack, and Exterminatus. Eldar have, uh, a ranged unit and Doom. Choices :ohdear:

Tau and Space Marines is a really deadly combo. A lot of the best Eldar stuff is loyal, so you cant use it anyway. Eldar Survivalists are very awesome, but as Tau you have pathfinder so you don't necessarily need them as much.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Doom is less powerful than Exterminatus (it costs more and hits units that will be exhausted instead of ones that will be ready) but usually much easier to set up.

As for common neutrals, I suspect that many decks will use Promotion, which is an extremely strong card. However, it's not quite an autoinclude, since it's Limited-- decks that already play several copies of other Limited cards (most notably Tau's Recon Drone and Dark Eldar's Raid)-- will perhaps not find it as effective. Promethium Mine is usually quite bad with the current pace of the game, No Mercy is good but doesn't synergize with all warlords, and Fall Back! is good in its niche but definitely not for most decks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

Doom is less powerful than Exterminatus (it costs more and hits units that will be exhausted instead of ones that will be ready) but usually much easier to set up.

As for common neutrals, I suspect that many decks will use Promotion, which is an extremely strong card. However, it's not quite an autoinclude, since it's Limited-- decks that already play several copies of other Limited cards (most notably Tau's Recon Drone and Dark Eldar's Raid)-- will perhaps not find it as effective. Promethium Mine is usually quite bad with the current pace of the game, No Mercy is good but doesn't synergize with all warlords, and Fall Back! is good in its niche but definitely not for most decks.

No Mercy is probably great if you're one of the swarmier factions (Orks, IG, Dark Eldar?). Fall Back likewise is probably great if you're one of the more elite heavy factions (Chaos). I'm curious as to whether Void Pirate/other neutral bonus unit are playable. They're certainly not great cards, and I question whether they would be useful enough to actually pay themselves off.

Edit: Also my order shipped!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 2, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

No Mercy is probably great if you're one of the swarmier factions (Orks, IG, Dark Eldar?). Fall Back likewise is probably great if you're one of the more elite heavy factions (Chaos). I'm curious as to whether Void Pirate/other neutral bonus unit are playable. They're certainly not great cards, and I question whether they would be useful enough to actually pay themselves off.

Edit: Also my order shipped!

I think the biggest usefulness of the Void Pirate and Rogue Trader is simply that they're one cost units with a command icon, which is pretty useful. Less so in some factions, though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Eldar Survivalist/Pathfinder are the best planet cappers in the game right now. Void Pirate/Rogue Trader are right below them though, and are extremely useful. Every deck should be running at least a couple. Here's my current list at the moment:

Warlord:
1x Packmaster Kith

Army Unit: (28)
4x Kith’s Khymeramasters
2x Biel-Tan Warp Spiders
2x Coliseum Fighters
3x Eldar Survivalist
3x Hellion Gang
3x Incubus Warrior
2x Rogue Trader
3x Sybarite Marksman
2x Syren Zythlex
2x Vile Raider
2x Void Pirate

Attachment: (6)
1x Agonizer of Bren
2x Promotion
3x Suffering

Event: (12)
2x Pact of the Haemonculi
3x Archon’s Terror
2x Doom
3x Raid
2x Superiority

Support: (4)
1x Khymera Den
1x Altar of Torment
2x Twisted Laboratory

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Void Pirate is pretty darn good, Rogue Trader somewhat less so (cards are more valuable than resources). That said, literally every one-cost unit in the game is good right now, and the neutrals are no exception.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Managed to pick up a copy of Conquest last night at my FLGS and played a couple games. Pretty awesome! A number of people here are big Warhamer 40k fans, so we're going to be having a tournament on Sunday. Since the game just came out, we'll be restricting decks to a single core, with another core as the prize. Should be pretty fun!

My first games were with Colonel Stracken with Space Marines, but for the tournament I think I'll go with Cato Sicarius with the Guard instead. Hopefully the extra resources from his ability will give it some much needed consistency, though I'll miss my Leman Russ.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

My first games were with Colonel Stracken with Space Marines, but for the tournament I think I'll go with Cato Sicarius with the Guard instead. Hopefully the extra resources from his ability will give it some much needed consistency, though I'll miss my Leman Russ.

Lose a Leman Russ, gain a Dreadnaught. I think it's pretty fair all told.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Switching to Sicarius was the right call, as the deck went almost undefeated on Sunday, only losing in the final round against my Starbane/Tau opponent. I got the Tallassarian Tempest Blade on Sicarius right away, but misplays on my part left me behind in the Command Struggle, and what little I did draw wasn't what I needed to take it back. Lots of fun! Here's the deck I used if anyone is curious. Really looking forward to getting a second core on Tuesday and messing around with Colonel Straken more. I threw a deck together, but I'm a little worried about the cost curve. How have the expensive units been working out for people? What Warlords/Factions have you guys been using?

In LOTR related news, The Road Darkens is now available, and spoilers are up on cardgamedb. Ally versions of Bilbo, Boromir, Elrond, and Galadriel look pretty cool, not to mention the Gandalf hero and all his cards. Anyone get a chance to use Gandalf or play through the new quests yet?

The new Call of Cthulhu expansion, The Sleeper Below, is also out and up on cardgamedb, if anyone cares.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Here's the Elder/Dark Eldar deck I'm looking at:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Eldorath Starbane (Core Set)

Army Unit: (27)
4x Starbane’s Council (Core Set)
3x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)
3x Biel-Tan Warp Spiders (Core Set)
3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
3x Shrouded Harlequin (Core Set)
3x Silvered Blade Avengers (Core Set)
2x Swordwind Farseer (Core Set)
3x Coliseum Fighters (Core Set)
3x Kabalite Strike Force (Core Set)

Attachment: (3)
1x Mobility (Core Set)
2x Banshee Power Sword (Core Set)

Event: (16)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
2x Doom (Core Set)
2x Gift of Isha (Core Set)
2x Nullify (Core Set)
3x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)
3x Power from Pain (Core Set)
2x No Mercy (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Alaitoc Shrine (Core Set)
3x Promethium Mine (Core Set)

So the Signature cards for the Warlord are restircted to whatever he comes with initially and you can't add more of those with more sets but you can add more of the other cards? To a max of 4?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

So the Signature cards for the Warlord are restircted to whatever he comes with initially and you can't add more of those with more sets but you can add more of the other cards? To a max of 4?

I'm not sure I parsed this question correctly, but the signature squad is set. No plus or minus on any of those cards. Anything else goes up to 3.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure I parsed this question correctly, but the signature squad is set. No plus or minus on any of those cards. Anything else goes up to 3.

Yeah, this is right. You have to use the eight cards that comes with your Warlord's signature squad. The other forty-two cards can be up to three copies each of cards from the Warlord's faction and non-loyal cards from one of the two factions that are next to it on the alignment wheel. Keep in mind, too, that the core set only comes with a single copy of most cards, so you'd have to own three core sets to use three copies of those cards. This Eldar deck I built uses only those cards I'd have owning two core sets.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, that's the answer I was looking for. That's a shame because there are a lot of those signature cards. Meaning that they're very redundant to have multiple copies of. Even more so than any of the other LCGs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, that's the answer I was looking for. That's a shame because there are a lot of those signature cards. Meaning that they're very redundant to have multiple copies of. Even more so than any of the other LCGs.

They're redundant, but each faction only has 1-2 cards that are 2x. I believe there's only 29% redundancy with 3x Core, which is substantially less than Netrunner, where you're only really getting Desperado and San San as your nonredundancies with 3 Cores. Maybe Aesop's?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

They're redundant, but each faction only has 1-2 cards that are 2x. I believe there's only 29% redundancy with 3x Core, which is substantially less than Netrunner, where you're only really getting Desperado and San San as your nonredundancies with 3 Cores. Maybe Aesop's?

I'm one of those build all the decks guys so I didn't mind the redundancy of Net runner's reprints of the 3x and 2x cards. Dead cards is another matter entirely though and there were plenty of those.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Somebody did the math (earlier in this thread I believe) and a 3rd Conquest nets you something like 72 nonredundant cards. The 3rd Netrunner gives you 11.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Somebody did the math (earlier in this thread I believe) and a 3rd Conquest nets you something like 72 nonredundant cards. The 3rd Netrunner gives you 11.

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, for me that's probably a good thing since I just bought 3 copies straight out of the gate but I know a lot of Netrunner players that just bought 2 cores and borrowed the extra SanSan or Desperado at a tournament; gently caress there's still debate about if a third copy of those is even necessary. I think it will probably be harder for people to avoid having the third copy in this case. 72/6 is 12 cards per faction that you'd be short if you wanted to run x3 of each of those cards; even running 1/4 of those cards at x3 you'd still need be short 3 cards for each faction. Which is a lot more than 1x SanSan or 1x Desperado. I guess FFG made sure you want that third core this time around, and since this is a 40k based product I doubt too many players are going to not follow through at the tournament level.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, for me that's probably a good thing since I just bought 3 copies straight out of the gate but I know a lot of Netrunner players that just bought 2 cores and borrowed the extra SanSan or Desperado at a tournament; gently caress there's still debate about if a third copy of those is even necessary. I think it will probably be harder for people to avoid having the third copy in this case. 72/6 is 12 cards per faction that you'd be short if you wanted to run x3 of each of those cards; even running 1/4 of those cards at x3 you'd still need be short 3 cards for each faction. Which is a lot more than 1x SanSan or 1x Desperado. I guess FFG made sure you want that third core this time around, and since this is a 40k based product I doubt too many players are going to not follow through at the tournament level.

There are 7 factions, but yeah, a lot of those 1x cards seem pretty essential. Considering there are 19 unique cards a faction that aren't a Warlord/signature squad, that is a lot of deckbuilding space you are giving up. I'm concerned whether the heavy buy in ($80 by online prices) may deter potential players, but I can't imagine it being that huge a cost over time, considering you're also paying $10/month upkeep on it. I would guess most people would know what they're getting into, but hopefully I can still pull in people.

My cards should be arriving today :woop:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Switching to Sicarius was the right call, as the deck went almost undefeated on Sunday, only losing in the final round against my Starbane/Tau opponent. I got the Tallassarian Tempest Blade on Sicarius right away, but misplays on my part left me behind in the Command Struggle, and what little I did draw wasn't what I needed to take it back. Lots of fun! Here's the deck I used if anyone is curious. Really looking forward to getting a second core on Tuesday and messing around with Colonel Straken more. I threw a deck together, but I'm a little worried about the cost curve. How have the expensive units been working out for people? What Warlords/Factions have you guys been using?

I've played a bit with almost everything (haven't done much Tau or Chaos). Expensive units seem a little weak outside of Chaos (which has strong cost reducers in the form of Splintered Path Acolyte and Promise of Glory)-- the only non-Chaos Elite units that I like are Land Raider and Crisis Battle Guard, though cards like Ultramarines Dreadnought and Goff Nob have a certain brute force appeal.

Generally all the factions seem pretty cool and good, though I suppose we'll have to see how tournament shake out. My favorites thus far have been Space Marines, Eldar, and Dark Eldar.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is anyone here from Southeast Florida by chance?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not many player.cards in The Road Darkens, huh. Must be some strong cards.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Amoeba102 posted:

Not many player.cards in The Road Darkens, huh. Must be some strong cards.

Seems like they took the opportunity to add a lot of sweet quest content, especially a host of new boons and burdens for the campaign (covering the Council of Elrond through to the end of Fellowship). You're right about the strong cards, though. My friend opened the box earlier today; it looks pretty sweet. Gandalf hero + gandalf's staff + gandalf's pipe looks like an auto-include for any deck where you don't know what to do for your third hero; the pipe negates his "drawback" of being unable to cast poo poo from hand and the staff is just baller as gently caress. There's some other cool stuff too; all in all I can't wait to play it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

DontMockMySmock posted:

Seems like they took the opportunity to add a lot of sweet quest content, especially a host of new boons and burdens for the campaign (covering the Council of Elrond through to the end of Fellowship). You're right about the strong cards, though. My friend opened the box earlier today; it looks pretty sweet. Gandalf hero + gandalf's staff + gandalf's pipe looks like an auto-include for any deck where you don't know what to do for your third hero; the pipe negates his "drawback" of being unable to cast poo poo from hand and the staff is just baller as gently caress. There's some other cool stuff too; all in all I can't wait to play it.

Great to hear. The Black Riders was probably my favorite expansion they've released so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the campaign mode. Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be one or two new Print on Demand quests that also add to the campaign mode? I seem to remember something about Bombadil and the Barrow Wights being GenCon and some special October scenario.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

I've played a bit with almost everything (haven't done much Tau or Chaos). Expensive units seem a little weak outside of Chaos (which has strong cost reducers in the form of Splintered Path Acolyte and Promise of Glory)-- the only non-Chaos Elite units that I like are Land Raider and Crisis Battle Guard, though cards like Ultramarines Dreadnought and Goff Nob have a certain brute force appeal.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about expensive units. I think most decks should have a few for those times when you really need a big guy, but I'll have to see how it plays. I'm especially looking forward to using the Leman Russ. Those four command icons are tasty. Sicarius should be able to afford them, if nothing else.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't know that Gandalf is quite an auto-include, given his 14 threat, but he's certainly a strong option to consider. I'm a little surprised we didn't get Narya, too, but I guess they have to keep some big cards for the future. I'm curious to see how these cards will work in a deck without a Gandalf hero, Flame of Anor especially. Being able to Sneak Attack Core Gandalf out during combat, attack/defend with him, then attack with him again seems like it would be pretty awesome! I might even throw a Gandalf's Staff in a deck with OHaUH Gandalf for the added utility.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Great to hear. The Black Riders was probably my favorite expansion they've released so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the campaign mode. Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be one or two new Print on Demand quests that also add to the campaign mode? I seem to remember something about Bombadil and the Barrow Wights being GenCon and some special October scenario.
I had forgotten about those! Both of these quests are standalone, but can also be used to expand the campaign mode, coming with Boons and Campaign Mode Setup cards. If they follow the pattern set by previous GenCon event quests, The Old Forest should be available in October. The October event is part of FFG's Organized Play events, like the Game Night Kits. Unfortunately, it looks like the registration period ended back in July, so if you'd like to try it you'll have to find someone that's already hosting an event. There's a few listed on BGG. It will also be available for purchase, eventually.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

omnibobb posted:

I bought my 3rd Netrunner box sans the tokens/box for quite a steal. I'm sure you will be able to do the same with Conquest down the road.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I played a friend Warhammer 40k: Conquest today, and really enjoyed the flow of it. Deciding whether to plan long term or try to take the first planet makes for some really interesting decisions. I also really underestimated the utility of things like Mobile, and holy poo poo do Tau get monstrous when they load up with attachments :stare: Even a Vior'la Marksman with a Stealth Cadre equipped is a terror, but I also realized that ranged units in HQ are loving useless. Really fun game.

Oh, and the power difference between someone with a starter (my friend) and someone who used 3x Core to deckbuild (me) is, uh, not inconsequential. I also really do not recommend the IG starter to teach because it felt really weak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I got signed up today for the LGS' October Fellowship event and I'm really excited for it, it gave me an excuse to buy a second LOTR core. I'm just hoping I don't hamstring my other fellows too much since I only have the two cores (hopefully the apartment office isn't closed on Friday or some bullshit) and the first four mirkwood packs.

Who cares, 15 bux for a playmat and an adventure deck is a steal. Full-bleed Aragorn is a bonus.

Now I just need to sell some more of my netrunner promos for my second and third Conquest core sets...