Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mario Kart 8 definitely has a less challenging single player campaign than Sonic but who cares, driving upside down and farting shells out of a Yoshi bike is stupid fun and Shy Guys make great noises. Sonic is a nerd game sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Flying, underwater and the anti-gravity gimmick add nothing.
It's not our fault your understanding of game design and level design is as shallow as your enjoyment of the game.

I don't disagree with everything you said though. I do think that, as a single-player experience, Sonic All-Stars offers a lot more, and it's a real shame that we don't at least see something like some of the more unique missions from MKDS or even Wii (although I've tried the DS missions recently and found that most of them weren't very fun at all). I'm not disappointed with MK8, though. When it comes to getting games, I either know exactly what I'm getting into and those expectations are met spectacularly, or I don't know all of what I'm getting into, I set my expectations reasonably, and they're exceeded.

Ultimately, I think that the racing in MK8 is generally some of most exhilarating in the series (if only for the sake of presentation and strong course design), and my only real gripe is the lack of content beyond that, since I'm very much someone who likes a solid single-player experience. I could pretty easily see how someone would be disappointed with the game.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 7, 2014

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
For drifting it appears that you just hold the button down around the turn until you get your sparks. I don't notice any difference when attempting to 'snake.'

The air tricks for boosts are fairly brainless to perform too.

They also removed the ability to hold an item out such as a shell and pick another item up.

I don't think anyone is going to defend the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 either.

I am not acting like some sort of god or expert at the game. It just doesn't have as much going for it as previous titles have. Just disappointed with how standard and basic the is compared to how it looks and sounds; it just an okay game.

Hopefully the dlc packs add some interesting tracks.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think you might just be getting old, my friend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The one feature from Sonic Racing Transformed that I really wish was in Mario Kart 8 is that in Sonic all the tracks change from lap to lap. Different paths open up, shortcuts are revealed, or you just take a slightly different route each time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sonic transformed has some killer track designs - there's a house of the dead level that rivals the very best of Nintendo's mario kart offerings.

But I'll defend Mario Kart 8's revamping of the mini-turbo drifting system (which I think the Wii version changed first.)

Its frankly loving AWESOME that when I play with casual gamers I can tell them the basics of how to slide and they can get into it, as opposed to the weird "hop, skid, than mash the controller like a five year old" weirdness of the old drift system.

And MK8 actually makes it so that the quickness of the sparks is determined by the tightness of your racing line.

And the ability to bounce off other karts and get boosts while in anti-gravity makes a difference, too.

Its very easy to dismiss Mario Kart 8 as just more of the same with a shiny HD paintjob. But I think if you look under the hood there's a lot of tweaks that add up to, for me, a really satisfying time.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The only thing I don't like about 8 is that you can get coins in item boxes. I don't like being near the front of the pack and being defenseless, sometimes for two or three items in a row.

Also, people played battle mode? I haven't touched it since the original.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Find cheap Nintendo Land. Play Mario Chase/Luigi Mansion with drunk friends.

It's what the game was basically made for.

Then after you sober up, play the Donkey Kong game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope this happens. I'd never stop playing if I could play Isaac just on the pad.

Buy a Vita.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

NOE have put out a trailer for Smash Bros + Amiibo

http://t.co/c4bvLXFZuj

They've also announced a Smash Bros + Mario Amiibo bundle, due on 5/12

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/519443179683463168

The initial batch of Amiibos (Amiibi?) will be available on 28/11, with a second batch to be released just before Christmas.

Oh hey, and here's the Smash + Gamecube adapter bundle, also due on 5/12

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/519444556149190657

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 7, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So I started playing the first Zelda for the first time and is there some way to speed up the rupie grind? I killed the bow dungeon boss with bombs because I couldn't afford arrows and the enemies never seem to drop any. And is there some way of getting more uses out of the candle? Looking for hidden passages by burning one bush at a time is also very annoying.

And is the money game in any way worth the trouble? "10 rupies to play! Well screw you have -40!".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Smash is confirmed for release on November 21: standard game is $59.99, game/GC controller/GC adapter bundle is $99.99. Standalone GC Pads are $29.99, standalone GC Adapter is $19.99.

12 Amiibos will launch on the same day (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pikachu, Kirby and Marth), with 6 more to come in December (Zelda, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Little Mac, Pit and Captain Falcon). $12.99 each.

Captain Toad has a price/release date, too: December 5, $39.99. It'll support "select" Amiibos, too, for those who don't know.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Still suprised there's no news about a Smash + controller + Wii U console bundle yet.

They'll probably have to modify the whole 'premium' console deal since the points bonus end at the end of December.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

So I started playing the first Zelda for the first time and is there some way to speed up the rupie grind? I killed the bow dungeon boss with bombs because I couldn't afford arrows and the enemies never seem to drop any. And is there some way of getting more uses out of the candle? Looking for hidden passages by burning one bush at a time is also very annoying.

And is the money game in any way worth the trouble? "10 rupies to play! Well screw you have -40!".

In the olden days you just had to grind, and there is some formula speed runner people know about the likely hood of drops. Drops based on how many hits you've taken since the last drop or something.

But we live in the modern world so I'd recommend just using save states liberally at money making game to max out rupees and forget about it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Captain Toad has a price/release date, too: December 5, $39.99. It'll support "select" Amiibos, too, for those who don't know.

drat it, Captain Toad is coming out the weekend of my sister's wedding which also coincides with my software project going live with 24/7 support. I'm not gonna get to play it for like a week after it comes out.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

NA dudes, Smash is confirmed for release on November 21: standard game is $59.99, game/GC controller/GC adapter bundle is $99.99. Standalone GC Pads are $29.99, standalone GC Adapter is $19.99.

12 Amiibos will launch on the same day (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pikachu, Kirby and Marth), with 6 more to come in December (Zelda, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Little Mac, Pit and Captain Falcon). $12.99 each.

Oh so we're back to 2+ week gaps between US and EU releases? (Smash releases on December 5th in Europe, Toad comes out in January). Get hosed, Nintendo.

Also lol, releasing Smash and Pokémon on the same day is a great idea.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Katana Gomai posted:

Oh so we're back to 2+ week gaps between US and EU releases? (Smash releases on December 5th in Europe, Toad comes out in January). Get hosed, Nintendo.

Is 2 weeks really that big of a deal?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Use a map to find all the secrets and you rupees will skyrocket. gently caress playing that game the original way.

Also something to note about the arrows is that they're not a kind of ammunition that can drop. You pay the one time fee to gain the ability to turn Rupees into arrows.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

I've been playing Fantasy Life for the last two weeks and according to the 3DS/Fantasy Life threads, it hella is. It's just annoying when they had a worldwide release for Pokémon X/Y (Ruby/Sapphire now have a 1 week gap between US/EU) and at least a same day release in the west for Smash 3DS.

And the eshop will loving burn with Pokémon and Smash being released at the same time, not to mention they're both online-heavy games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Regy Rusty posted:

Also something to note about the arrows is that they're not a kind of ammunition that can drop. You pay the one time fee to gain the ability to turn Rupees into arrows.

Oh wow so now I want to use it even less. It's too bad about the money grind because the game seems to hold up really well otherwise!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how far I can get without resorting to using a map.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Do we think Smash U will be available for release day delivery on Amazon? I kind of don't understand Amazon's relationship with Nintendo. That bundle with the controller will be mine.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

greatn posted:

In the olden days you just had to grind, and there is some formula speed runner people know about the likely hood of drops. Drops based on how many hits you've taken since the last drop or something.

But we live in the modern world so I'd recommend just using save states liberally at money making game to max out rupees and forget about it.
The real trick to grinding rupees in the original LoZ is to use a guide to look up where all of those hidden "it's a secret to everyone!" caves are.

EDIT:

Renoistic posted:

Oh wow so now I want to use it even less. It's too bad about the money grind because the game seems to hold up really well otherwise!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how far I can get without resorting to using a map.
Don't not use a map when playing the original LoZ, it was never intended to be played that way, by yourself and finding all the secrets on your own. The game originally came with a map of a good part of the overworld, even. From there on you were supposed to hear about secret rooms and the like from friends who were also playing the game at the same time as you, while you told them of the ones you found that they hadn't. And grinding money from enemy drops is dumb, there's so many rupees to be found in hidden locations. Also the bow & arrows is one of the most useful items in the game, you just have to pay the one-time fee for the arrows (and it's not 250 rupees if you know which shop to buy the upgrade from, don't pay 250 rupees, look up the shop where they sell it for less than half that instead) and then you can plink away.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 7, 2014

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Shelf Adventure posted:

Yes it's the worst.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Old Swerdlow posted:

For drifting it appears that you just hold the button down around the turn until you get your sparks. I don't notice any difference when attempting to 'snake.'

I'm confused because it's like you're implying that this is a bad thing.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

zfleeman posted:

Do we think Smash U will be available for release day delivery on Amazon? I kind of don't understand Amazon's relationship with Nintendo. That bundle with the controller will be mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash U is available on release day from Amazon. I preordered Smash 3DS from Amazon and got release-day delivery on it.

I remember midnight releases and standing in lines for previous Smash games... but I feel like it's easier to just have the game delivered to me instead, now.

Popero posted:

I'm confused because it's like you're implying that [no snaking in Mario Kart 8] is a bad thing.

I agree, I really didn't like snaking in Mario Kart DS. But I can see that, if one were the type of person who liked Mario Kart DS, jumping straight to MK8 would feel very different. Playing Mario Kart 7, you could see that Nintendo was working to avoid the problems with snaking and technical stuff like that to get more basic kart-racing, and MK8 is clearly a progression from MK7. But if you didn't play 7, it might seem jarring to go from DS to 8.

For technical pro-racing, Sonic Racing Transformed is better, probably. It's got a harsher learning curve to it, though. For drunk karting with friends on movie night or whatever, MK8 works great.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That's really accurate. Mario Kart DS is certainly a more 'proleet skills' kind of game in which it was very bare bones, snaking was easy and basically required to win races, and you could dodge blue shells, but only if you were good. MK8 took out that stuff, but for what it's worth I really dont' see the problem with that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shelf Adventure posted:

30 days+ for Captain Toad is a much bigger deal. :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

Dammit Nintendo, Australia's supposed to be the cool crowd now :negative:.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Eh, after living in Europe all my life (well, having european electronics) a month delay just kind of seems like nothing. Maybe it's because I don't often buy games on their release date much any more :shrug:

The Shin Megami Tensei IV and Rune Factory delays I can understand getting upset at.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

HJE-Cobra posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash U is available on release day from Amazon. I preordered Smash 3DS from Amazon and got release-day delivery on it.

I remember midnight releases and standing in lines for previous Smash games... but I feel like it's easier to just have the game delivered to me instead, now.

I remember standing in line for Brawl. That was an awesome time. I got back to the dorms with a fresh copy in my hands, walked into my room and turned off the PS3 my roommate was actively playing Guitar Hero on. I think he was mad at me, but I didn't care at the time. I played until 4am and proceeded to put 40hrs/week in that game for a couple months at least.

I can't do that now, though. I'm sound asleep by 11pm most nights.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

HJE-Cobra posted:

There's a twist this time, though: virtually every midnight release event for Smash U is going to transform into a makeshift Smash 3DS tournament. Could be good or bad depending on your tolerance.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

enojy posted:

There's a twist this time, though: virtually every midnight release event for Smash U is going to transform into a makeshift Smash 3DS tournament. Could be good or bad depending on your tolerance.

THIS POINT IS A GOOD POINT AND I AM NOW RETHINKING EVERYTHING.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

NTT posted:

That's really accurate. Mario Kart DS is certainly a more 'proleet skills' kind of game in which it was very bare bones, snaking was easy and basically required to win races, and you could dodge blue shells, but only if you were good. MK8 took out that stuff, but for what it's worth I really dont' see the problem with that.

I think it's fantastic that in MK8, when you hold an item behind your kart, you still can't pick up another item. This feels like it's long overdue. I never thought about it before, but it feels pretty OP to be able to have a shell held defensively, and then another one in reserve. If you're playing against people who aren't as familiar with the game, they might not even know you could do that. Having two items if you're in the lead just means you have more likelihood of staying in the lead. But if you're stuck with just coins or whatever, it's easier to get knocked back to 7th, and that's Mario Kart.

And man, I thought items couldn't get more disappointing than the banana, but then they add coins. Definitely feels bad to get that. But the game makes up for it when you feel like an unstoppable golden god by obliterating a blue shell with a super horn.

EDIT-

enojy posted:

Oh snap, that's a good point

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

HJE-Cobra posted:

And man, I thought items couldn't get more disappointing than the banana, but then they add coins. Definitely feels bad to get that. But the game makes up for it when you feel like an unstoppable golden god by obliterating a blue shell with a super horn.

Coins have been in since Super Mario Kart, maybe they removed them at some point, I never had a Mario Kart besides SMK and MK8, but it does have precedent.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

NA dudes, Smash is confirmed for release on November 21

Hell yeah.

Captain Toad has a price/release date, too: December 5, $39.99.

Hell yeah.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HJE-Cobra posted:

Besides lack of battle mode, Too Many Coins is my only complaint about MK8. It's really common for item boxes to give you coins 3-4 times in a row when you're in first place, even if you already have 10 coins. They should just add one line of code: If player has 10 coins, do not give coin item.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

numerrik posted:

Coins have been in since Super Mario Kart, maybe they removed them at some point, I never had a Mario Kart besides SMK and MK8, but it does have precedent.

Oh yes, I had forgotten. Coins WERE an obtainable item from item blocks only in Super Mario Kart on the SNES, and now MK8. They were gone for all of the games in between as an item from item blocks. Though some of the Mario Kart games did have them on the track, still, they weren't an item.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I wish there was a better designed replacement for the blue shell. I understand their intention for that item; that is to give people lagging behind a better chance at catching up to the first place racer. But in reality it doesn't provide much of an advantage to racers way behind but greatly increases the success to racers in around positions 2-5ish.

Still, Mario Kart 8 is pretty good but there are some glaring faults to me that keep it from being great; Especially since other kart racing games have over-come those faults.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My sons fourth birthday is coming up, and he's getting a Wii U so he can have his 'own' gaming platform instead clamouring to play my games ("DADDY IS THAT MAN DEAD? DADDY WHY IS HE TRYING TO BITE YOU? CAN I HAVE A GO? WHICH BUTTON SHOOTS?"). I've already managed to find some good deals and have sourced Party U, Nintendoland and Mariocart 8, and I'm off for a trawl of the secondhand shelves shortly.

Looking for any suggestions on games that would be good to pick up and don't have overly complex control schemes or game mechanics, or can be played with dad-assist co-op (I was looking at Kirbys Epic Yarn etc if I could pick up some cheap Wii games secondhand for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

cynic posted:

My sons fourth birthday is coming up, and he's getting a Wii U so he can have his 'own' gaming platform instead clamouring to play my games ("DADDY IS THAT MAN DEAD? DADDY WHY IS HE TRYING TO BITE YOU? CAN I HAVE A GO? WHICH BUTTON SHOOTS?"). I've already managed to find some good deals and have sourced Party U, Nintendoland and Mariocart 8, and I'm off for a trawl of the secondhand shelves shortly.

Looking for any suggestions on games that would be good to pick up and don't have overly complex control schemes or game mechanics, or can be played with dad-assist co-op (I was looking at Kirbys Epic Yarn etc if I could pick up some cheap Wii games secondhand for instance).

Rayman Legends comes screaming into my mind, that game is wonderful with two players. Obvious choice also goes to Mario 3D World as it's multiplayer is really well done... would almost suggest avoiding the sidescrolling one if you plan on co-oping it though as you'll probably end up killing each other on accident more then helping :v:. Kirby's Epic Yarn would be really good as a choice to (as hell it's a Kirby game, can't go wrong.) If you don't have Nintendo Land that's a must too, and Mario Kart is pretty friendly on 50cc. Wii Party U is kinda junk though as a warning.

Also suggest Hyrule Warriors actually if your cool with him playing games with swords and stuff. He's not going to get super deep in the adventure mode obviously but you can set the difficulty and have a lot of fun just button mashing through levels and looking cool while doing it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread