Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Patrick Stewart was known to have pushed for Picard to be more active even way back into TNG.
But he wasn't really, hence the disconnect between the films and show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Rutibex posted:

yeah and when he tries that he gets captured and forced to eat gross cardassian eggs and stuff

Cardassians lay eggs?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I've been re-watching TNG. It's funny to see how pronunciation of certain things evolves through the series.
Or how, even within an episode, a word will be pronounced different ways by different actors.

Kay-nar.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how in a single scene the same character can say Sym-bee-ant and then sym-bee-ont. loving dax episodes.

Also I've started saying "Mormon" like a Ferengi would.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

List of additional Star Treks:
    Galaxy Quest
    Master and Commander
    The Ship

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Cardassians lay eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyrU7exmt4&t=685s

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

I've been re-watching TNG. It's funny to see how pronunciation of certain things evolves through the series.
Or how, even within an episode, a word will be pronounced different ways by different actors.

Kay-nar.

I'm pretty certain that Kira is the only character who pronounces Bajor with a hard J. Everyone else calls it Bazhor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also in TNG people from Bajor are the Bajora while in DS9 they become Bajoran. The only excuse I can think of is that during the occupation the refugees were known as "The Bajora" as more of a cultural/ethnic group but after they got their independence back as a proper nation/citizenship identity they used the term "Bajoran" ?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

THEISTS :argh: posted:

Firstly, I am a giant Treker... I have been my whole life, and even read some of the books. In DS9, the war with the Dominion is great, but you can tell how this was all done after the death of the great Gene Roddenberry and by writers who did not follow his vision. DS9 does a 180 on the way humanity had come to view the universe. In fact it was like this whole thing was taking place in an alternate version of Star Trek. I could tell the writers were squeezing religion/faith into the show more often. Go ahead and mark this Not Helpful if you can't handle this fact, but Gene (an atheist) had made a future where religion was viewed as a myth, just like we view the ancient religions which lasted for thousands of years as myths today. I have nothing against any religion that is non-violent, but that is simply not the Star Trek Universe. I am an agnostic, so it's nothing major for me, but it was rather preachy and repetitive. I want to watch ST, not be converted. This show tried to convert me into having "faith" over and over and over, increasing biblical quotes, converting the characters one at a time and so on. I got really bored after a while. If they just mentioned it here and there I wouldn't care, but the more you watch, the more you can see the conversion tactics of the writers. Soon it was filling episodes, ending with religion, and the next one beginning with religious conversations, only to restart that cycle again. As I said, I am agnostic at look at things from a neutral view, but Gene did not... if you don't believe me, than believe him..: QUOTE: "I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain." (Gene Roddenberry) Dig him up and you'll see that he rolled over in his grave.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

unlimited shrimp posted:

Kay-nar.

My favorite is how a lot of people pronounce Worf's father Mog like "hog". Michael Dorn's way (long o) is definitely superior.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

loving DS9 duped me into building a bajoran temple and worshipping the Prophets. My Pagh is too strong to listen to this nonsense.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Hail the pah wraiths

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i worship his shadow

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sisko constantly calls Bashir BAA-sheer while everyone else (including Bashir himself) pronounces is Buh-sheer, but I guess placing emphasis on strange parts of words and sentences is sort of his trademark.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

David Warner has some serious acting chops.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Kanar,

quote:

According to an interview with Casey Biggs (Damar), Karo syrup was used for brown kanar to create the effect of a dark, thick liquid, which he actually drank. Property Master Joe Longo joked in an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine (Issue 4) that "... he was drinking so much he was getting weird, so we started using a thickened sugar-free pancake syrup."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a John Luck Pickerd here?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's more than that. Like in First Contact he's irrationally angry and vengeful toward the Borg but in the timeline/show he's already dealt with these emotions and had already encountered the Borg again since Wolf 359 without completely losing his poo poo.

I think it made the movie better. And the other characters call him out on his behavior. It allowed the creation of two badass-as-gently caress scenes (line must be drawn here, tommy-gun scene) so whatevs.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of Kanar,

quote:

According to an interview with Casey Biggs (Damar), Karo syrup was used for brown kanar to create the effect of a dark, thick liquid, which he actually drank. Property Master Joe Longo joked in an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine (Issue 4) that "... he was drinking so much he was getting weird, so we started using a thickened sugar-free pancake syrup."

"Well, we could have had him drink motor oil, giving him diabetes was the least dangerous option"
-Evil Satan Braga

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That really belongs on every page.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

is kanar space beer or space whiskey?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

space mead.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
They tend to drink very small glasses of it.

Although Quark may just be doing that to sell more of it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Costello Jello posted:

My favorite is how a lot of people pronounce Worf's father Mog like "hog". Michael Dorn's way (long o) is definitely superior.

Maybe everybody's universal translator is just calibrated a little differently and no one in the future gives a poo poo about pronunciation differences because they figure it probably sounds right to the person saying it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lawman 0 posted:

Space Jager.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lawman 0 posted:

It's usually space wine, but in a few episodes they act like it will gently caress you up like space whiskey. Damar is basically the day-drunk suburban white mom of the Star Trek universe.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

It's Moog, like the synthesizer. Long o.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Lawman 0 posted:

It's kanar, it it's own thing. It comes in several different colors and the vintages matter, so it's like both wine and whiskey and also Unicum.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Pound some kanar with your sixteen thousand wrappages of yamok sauce on your rancid beets, cardy pride worldwide

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is Cardassian design so good? Through TNG and even a lot of DS9 and Voyager a lot of the alien sets are so-so or feel they were clearly designed by the same people who did the human stuff, just slightly different. Cardassian architecture and technology really has a feel to it, like a weird sort of evil brutalism mixed with art nouveau and art deco. The DS9 sets are all gorgeous and oozing with style. I guess since DS9 is set on a Cardassian station they had to really go all-out and do a good job on the design for Cardy-stuff. But it's also the little things, like the label on those Kanar bottles. It's just good design in a franchise that's usually pretty bland and alien B just uses a different shade of polyester carpeting from alien C.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Baronjutter posted:

Why is Cardassian design so good? Through TNG and even a lot of DS9 and Voyager a lot of the alien sets are so-so or feel they were clearly designed by the same people who did the human stuff, just slightly different. Cardassian architecture and technology really has a feel to it, like a weird sort of evil brutalism mixed with art nouveau and art deco. The DS9 sets are all gorgeous and oozing with style. I guess since DS9 is set on a Cardassian station they had to really go all-out and do a good job on the design for Cardy-stuff. But it's also the little things, like the label on those Kanar bottles. It's just good design in a franchise that's usually pretty bland and alien B just uses a different shade of polyester carpeting from alien C.

Mostly because the people designing DS9 worked hard at it and took their time coming up with a unifying design philosophy, which they knew would matter a lot when they decided to make the setting of the show an alien space station instead of a hew-mon station. Since they'd already worked out Federation design on TNG, it helped them in doing Cardassian stuff - make sure it all looked different!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the alien designs on TNG and Voyager and most of DS9 were churned out for a single week's show mainly by modifying an existing stuff. Cardassian interiors, on the other hand, got a year's worth of lead-in design and construction work before the show even started where they could sort out all sorts of little details and aesthetic flares that could then be reused throughout the length of the show.

Even before DS9 started, they knew the Cardassian stuff would be a major element of the new series, so they put extra effort into their first appearances on TNG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 7, 2014

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTaMzV4oFo

Damar has some different preferences for beverages these days.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Agraya posted:

haha, this is great

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So this came up in my youtube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQcGzbpN7s

Arguably one of the best Quark Scenes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Delsaber posted:

Space Jager.

This is how I've always imagined it.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Agraya posted:

I want to hang out down an hour in Paso Robles and drink pinot noir with Damar.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Fister Roboto posted:

This is how I've always imagined it.

Me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dely Apple posted:

I want to hang out down an hour in Paso Robles and drink pinot noir with Damar.

• Locked thread