Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It sure is more entertaining now having individual Russians being able to post military smack talk on the internet, than the Cold War style centralized propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baloogan posted:

Russians with incorrect opinions? Why, I never!

This guy's a gold mine, and he seems to post under the same name all the time.

http://www.the-american-interest.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-dangerous-mr-putin/

Run a search for "Anton" and read how Russia has "never lost a war!"

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:911::hf::ussr:

Admit it, everyone here would pay good money to see this happen IRL.

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy
The greatest irony of the internet is that rather than allowing russians to inform themselves and counter the propaganda pervasive to their country, they choose to use the internet to regurgitate that very propaganda with an unmatched zeal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

priznat posted:

It sure is more entertaining now having individual Russians being able to post military smack talk on the internet, than the Cold War style centralized propaganda.

Here's the rub, the Cold War propaganda machine doesn't just seem to have survived, it seems to be thriving. I don't know about the nineties, right after the collapse of the SU, but what I do know is that in later years, Russian media are right back on track, with military-grade bullshit crammed down the boil-festering throats of an increasingly docile populace dulled by vodka and misery.

Isn't this a great time to be a military servicemember in a country sharing a land border with Russia?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

So we got that going for us.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I sometimes try to wrap my brain around just how lovely life in the Russian countryside is, and fail.

Finding a healthy man above the age of fourty - hell, finding any man above the age of fourty - in your average mudhole is a feat. Bonus points if he isn't a priest. The Russian countryside is a shitload of women struggling to keep head above water, and dwindling numbers of alcoholized men who perish like flies. It's pretty amazing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
While I won't disagree with the above, it's pretty annoying to talk to other people in their 20s who basically assume the Gulf war outcome is what we would've done to the USSR and how they wouldn't have stood a chance. It's not very fun trying to explain to them how much the Russians had to throw at us in a conventional conflict, or how some of their stuff was actually pretty great, like the flanker or the T-64 in its day.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 7, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Mazz posted:

While I won't disagree with the above, it's pretty annoying to talk to other people in their 20s who basically assume the Gulf war outcome is what we would've done to the USSR and how they wouldn't have stood a chance. It's not very fun trying to explain to them how much the Russians had to throw at us in a conventional conflict, or how some of their stuff was actually pretty great, like the flanker or the T-64 in its day.

Yeah, a war with Russia would hardly be a "walk in the park", but NATO, or hell, even USA alone would still win. I can't imagine what a full blown war would look like, though. US seems to favour small small, rapid and efficient military operations like in the Middle-East or, but Russia seems to favour hybrid warfare like in Eastern Ukraine.

priznat posted:

That article has a good comment:

:ussr:

I mean even considering you have a serious hard-on for :ussr: that comment is still naive and not based in any reality or fact to the point of absurdity. One PAK-FA can take out 3-5 Raptors? You need to have serious brain damage to even dream of something like that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xerxes17 posted:

Oh god, is it supposed to be the bastard lovechild of a Warthog and a Hind?

OhYeah posted:

US seems to favour small small, rapid and efficient military operations like in the Middle-East or, but Russia seems to favour hybrid warfare like in Eastern Ukraine.

Neither Iraq 2 nor Afghanistan were small, rapid, or efficient.

If you're referring to the current conflict against ISIS/Daesh, it's not going to be rapid or efficient either.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sjurygg posted:

Here's the rub, the Cold War propaganda machine doesn't just seem to have survived, it seems to be thriving. I don't know about the nineties, right after the collapse of the SU, but what I do know is that in later years, Russian media are right back on track, with military-grade bullshit crammed down the boil-festering throats of an increasingly docile populace dulled by vodka and misery.

Isn't this a great time to be a military servicemember in a country sharing a land border with Russia?

Honestly the pro-soviet propaganda seems stronger if anything. Makes sense, they've got access to our better methods of making internet whackjobs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I come across that blind hoo-rah patriotism posting from our side often enough as well. It's ridiculous but seems like both sides are quite guilty of it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Breaky posted:

I come across that blind hoo-rah patriotism posting from our side often enough as well. It's ridiculous but seems like both sides are quite guilty of it.

Western propaganda is just marketed as a History Channel documentary, telling you all about THE MOST POWERFUL WARSHIP IN THE WORLD (USS John C. Stennis), THE MOST POWERFUL BOMBER IN THE WORLD (B-52), THE MOST POWERFUL TANK IN THE WORLD (M1A2) etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Breaky posted:

Yeah but our foreign policy isn't based on it. Half our elections are though.

ArchangeI posted:

Western propaganda is just marketed as a History Channel documentary, telling you all about THE MOST POWERFUL WARSHIP IN THE WORLD (USS John C. Stennis), THE MOST POWERFUL BOMBER IN THE WORLD (B-52), THE MOST POWERFUL TANK IN THE WORLD (M1A2) etc.

Look at this guy who hasn't watched The History Channel in years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Yeah but our foreign policy isn't based on it. Half our elections are though.

Look at this guy who hasn't watched The History Channel in years.

Yeah, now it's all "Aliens did 9/11" or some poo poo right?

Edit: But I do remember those 'Best plane ever' shows.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Breaky posted:

Yeah, now it's all "Aliens did 9/11" or some poo poo right?

Edit: But I do remember those 'Best plane ever' shows.

God they pandered to the Wehraboo demo so openly. You would have some piece of German WW2 tech up in the top half of the top ten while designs that were superior in basically every way were kicked down a few notches due to some totally bullshit metric like "fearsomeness" or "intimidation factor" or whatever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

Doesn't Russia have a bunch of that type of stuff these days?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchangeI posted:

THE MOST POWERFUL JUNK PICKERS IN THE WORLD, THE FAKEST REDNECK ENTREPRENEURS IN THE WORLD, THE MOST ANNOYING PAWN SHOP OWNERS IN THE WORLD

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

xthetenth posted:

Doesn't Russia have a bunch of that type of stuff these days?

There's wings if Russia, which is pretty awesome to watch and has great old footage.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

There's wings if Russia, which is pretty awesome to watch and has great old footage.

And it's funnily non-jingoistic. We've talked about it before and a few other sister show like "Made in the USSR". They've got a very dry and understated format.

"This is Weapon system X."
"It was designed by Y at Z."
"It was good, but had problems 1 and 2."
"1 was fixed by A, and 2 later on with B."
"X is now very good."
:geno:

As opposed to ALienHitler9/11NavySEALS channel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In the History Channel hierarchy of best planes etc the nazi stuff trumped all

Fw190 vs F-16? Nazi super weapon wins again! :haw:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

And it's funnily non-jingoistic. We've talked about it before and a few other sister show like "Made in the USSR". They've got a very dry and understated format.

"This is Weapon system X."
"It was designed by Y at Z."
"It was good, but had problems 1 and 2."
"1 was fixed by A, and 2 later on with B."
"X is now very good."
:geno:

As opposed to ALienHitler9/11NavySEALS channel.

Yeah that's what I liked about the original "Wings" format shows that started on Discovery channel I think and went elsewhere. They were very dry and clear cut but just droned on over all kinds of insane footage, tons of which I had never seen before.

Every now and then they'd toss in a few pretty good interviews with pilots / engineers too. Honestly not an exciting format but for people who are going to sit and watch a 30 minute show about an airplane it was perfect

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is one of my more favorite things ever.

I wish I was wealthy enough to just pay that guy whatever he wants to narrate my daily life

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

I have Z$1 quadrillion and 50 billion Yugoslavian dinars available for funding, but only if the Hindbolt is armed with a GAU-8.

tia

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

priznat posted:

In the History Channel hierarchy of best planes etc the nazi stuff trumped all

Fw190 vs F-16? Nazi super weapon wins again! :haw:

It didn't used to be that way, the Wings Marathon (or maybe it was the Wings CD collection) proclaimed the P-51 the most important plane of WW2 (it's been like 20 years so I can't remember the exact wording, it might have been "best fighter" or something else).

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cat Mattress posted:

Neither Iraq 2 nor Afghanistan were small, rapid, or efficient.

If you're referring to the current conflict against ISIS/Daesh, it's not going to be rapid or efficient either.

What I mean is this: US can destroy the military forces of another country very quickly, they have superiority in every segment of modern warfare, from satellite reconnaissance down to the types of rifles infantry use.

Unfortunately that is not all that waging (a successful) war consists of.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Our SSM force leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bewbies posted:

I wish I was wealthy enough to just pay that guy whatever he wants to narrate my daily life

Yes! That's the voice I was remembering.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Does ATACMS just suck or something?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A lot of it is just the factor of the threats each side faced during the cold war. Our large and superior carrier fleets lead to much higher focus on long range cruise missile development by China/Soviets. And we really haven't caught up that much since then.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That Russian commenter guy is hilarious, but if you see any aviation video on Youtube you will see equally stupid poo poo about American jets - actually, probably everyone's. I recall some Gripen and Rafale vids which got some stupid poo poo comments too. Nationalistic e-peen via aircraft is exceptionally common.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

Does ATACMS just suck or something?

It is fine for what it is, which is a pretty accurate short range missile that lacks terminal guidance and has no advanced penetration aids. It is employed like long range rocket artillery which isn't terribly useful given its cost. Plus, the warheads all have to be replaced and the motors are about to expire so a major investment is required to keep the current stockpile useable.

The US could (and probably should) develop a quality ballistic missile but the INF treaty and the MCTR seriously restricts what could be done.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

mlmp08 posted:

The land-based side, that is

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

The land-based side, that is

Nah, sea based side is weak, too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Breaky posted:

Yeah that's what I liked about the original "Wings" format shows that started on Discovery channel I think and went elsewhere. They were very dry and clear cut but just droned on over all kinds of insane footage, tons of which I had never seen before.

Every now and then they'd toss in a few pretty good interviews with pilots / engineers too. Honestly not an exciting format but for people who are going to sit and watch a 30 minute show about an airplane it was perfect

Man, I was like 12 when Wings was on, that was right in my wheelhouse.

e- also stressing that the dry narration over footage of bear ejection seats or human rocket sleds was the loving cats rear end

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Xerxes17 posted:

-- Mikhail Sparksov

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bewbies posted:

Haha that's a MIDI version of "Hymn to Red October" playing at 0:58. How very 90s.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Baloogan posted:

Russians with incorrect opinions? Why, I never!

Yeah, usually around these parts it's the Swiss.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

666 posted:

The greatest irony of the internet is that rather than allowing russians to inform themselves and counter the propaganda pervasive to their country, they choose to use the internet to regurgitate that very propaganda with an unmatched zeal.

Are you able to make the snow square?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

666 posted:

Most people use the internet to confirm what they already believe rather than branching out and expanding their horizons.

BTW, if you want to see an interesting example, look at what happened to the F4F Wildcat and how it developed post-being a modern fighter as a sort of utility plane for the CVEs, mostly for ground attack purposes.